• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Between Xbox One and Wii U, which one do you think is better?

Between Xbox One and Wii U, which one do you think is better?

• Xbox One

• Wii U

Results are only viewable after voting.

LakeOf9

By the eighth gen, the console market had settled into just having its current big three players, meaning you wouldn’t expect there to be a lot of room left for variation with the consoles that do well and the ones that don’t, but…

Well, Nintendo and Microsoft fucked up just enough to bring us here. So let’s get into it.

The Wii U is Nintendo’s worst selling console of all time and widely considered to be one of the worst consoles in general. While it has a lot of merits to its name - Nintendo was trying some interesting things with the dual screen setup, the network functionality appears very interesting (particularly with hindsight), and it’s actually the nexus of the Switch idea Nintendo would utilize to such great effect literally in the exact same gen just four years later - it was a miserable console, abandoned by third parties and propped up by a panicking Nintendo who threw a lot of shit at it to keep it going. In spite of this, it managed a surprisingly stacked lineup of great exclusives, which gave it a respectable legacy but more importantly allowed Nintendo the leverage to launch the Switch with a ready made lineup of great games when the time came. The Wii U was not a good console, but its lineup and its successor both allow it a modicum of dignity.

The Xbox One had the easiest layup in history. The Xbox 360 had finally split the high end console market from Sony neatly in half. Microsoft and Xbox weren’t at the top yet but they had carved out half the market for themselves and had every chance to continue that momentum. Enter Xbox One. Underpowered and overpriced, the Xbox One is arguably responsible for every major issue Xbox suffers from to this day. While the system was salvaged over time thanks to some savvy revisions and the introduction of services like Game Pass, the initial and long term damage was done. In terms of games, the Xbox One actually did very well, getting pretty much every major third party multiplatform game of the era, plus several exclusives (at least initially), and a flurry of initial first party exclusives too. By the end, Xbox would be sharing all its games with PC permanently going forward, meaning no more exclusives, meaning the Xbox One’s overall legacy is a lineup of great games that can also be played on other systems - in other words, there’s nothing to buy an Xbox One for.

It’s actually astonishing that the same generation that gave us the PlayStation 4 and the Switch also gave us these two, but I mean, here we are. Of these two, which one do you think is the better one and why?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I never owned an Xbox One so it's not a totally fair vote, but I went Wii U. I loved the system and played it more than my PS4, which I also loved.

It was banger after banger in terms of 1st party. Multiple 10/10 games for me. Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8. Lots of other amazing titles like Wind Waker / Twilight Princess HD with maps on the controller and quick item switching. Truly innovative titles like Nintendoland and Starfox Zero / Starfox Guard which really don't resemble anything you can play on other systems. Mario 3D World, Splatoon launching as a new IP which I played for literally hundreds of hours with gyro, map on the screen, insane OST. Just felt like a party. Super niche titles like Devil's Third were great in single player and multiplayer, Affordable Space Adventures, Fatal Frame with a controller that literally feels like a camera. Mario Tennis, Xenoblade X, Paper Mario Color Splash, NES Remix, Captain Toad, etc.

Add to this full BC for Wii which was great. A robust Virtual Console with NES, SNES, GBA games that can be played on the controller without even turning on your TV and fit the small screen perfectly. N64 games, Gamecube games, Wii games. Metroid Prime Trilogy, Pandora's Tower, and on and on.

Add to this MiiVerse, which is still to this day the most robust, extensive, and fun system UI ever made. Screenshots, drawings, chat. Basically a forum for every game built into the system with people constantly making memes and jokes, or offering hints.

I've been playing a lot of Xbox One titles slowly over the last few years though, and the games are a lot better than I expected. Playing Gears Tactics now and it's pretty awesome. Gears 4 was incredible and probably my favorite in the series. Ryse was a let down, but not bad. Haven't played Recore yet. Battletoads is better than you'd expect, but weighed down by some odd controller choices for the tongue moves and some bad puzzle minigames. Still have a lot to play, but it's not as bad as I expected. I haven't played Sunset Overdrive yet either, but you can tell that's the whole basis for all future Spider Man games to this day. Haven't played the Halo games yet. Forza H4 is awesome. Quantum Break is great. Loved that game. Still need to play Gears 5.

If I owned an Xbox One I might vote for that honestly, but I didn't.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
WiiU was a bit of a disaster, but it still had 5-10 killer games you could only play on that system. The Xbone had Forza.

I guess if you only own one system then the One is the obvious choice thanks to the third party support, but on their own merit? Not even close.

As a day 1 owner of the WiiU, I was never happier to sell a console after the generation was over. The gimmick never made sense, many Nintendo flagships like New Mario Bros. were either lazy rehashes or just completely stupid like Starfox Zero. I liked Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart enough, but I think that's about it.

Never had a Xbox One, but the PS4 generation was easily among the strongest generations ever and Xbox One still got most of the 3rd party content, so that's the easy choice. I guess at the time it would have been annoying that you needed to wait longer for many Japanese 3rd party games, but at least they still arrived eventually.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's Xbox one, but I loved my day one Wii U and still have it. It was horrifically marketed but had some awesome games.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I only owned an Xbox One X which I bought shortly after getting my first 4k TV in early 2018. Really solid console which allowed me to catch up on all the Xbox exclusives I missed out on. Plus I also used it for a bunch of multiplats like RDR2, KH3, DMC5, etc.

JCK75

Xbox One itself sucked, Xbox One S was a fantastic cheap UHD Bluray player and made for a nice evolution.. Xbox One X was the best console last gen IMO and righted everything wrong with the one..

LordOfChaos

The Wii U has been dead far longer than it's been supported, the One still gets some games and kept getting AAA games for a long while, apart from a few attempts the Wii U never even had that third party AAA support to keep it entertaining, and I can't blame them with Nintendo bizarrely dragging the PowerPC 750 cores from the Gamecube all the way forward to then. I'd be pissed if I bought the Wii U at day one price for only a short four year support life with long droughts even in that short life. They kept promising BoTW was the "one game can save a console" game, but then kept delaying it as they gave up on the Wii U and moved on to the Switch, and even removed the Wii U features they showed it with. The Wii U was treated far worse.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

As a main console both of them are hardly ideal. As a 2nd console to compliment a PS4 / PC then the WiiU decisively wins. However, if I could only have one device to game on out of the two as my main platform for that generation then the Xbox One wins decisively.

The value of the Xbox One is lessened due to the fact the PS4 exists. The WiiU is not impacted by the PS4 at all (or as much).

Last edited:
Didn’t own either.

With Series and Switch, whatever consensus may be, at least systems are awesome.

Those two, never felt like I needed to pick them up.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I had a Wii U, and briefly owned an Xbox One before switching to PC gaming.
Just feels like two completely different generations to me, because Wii U was more along the lines of PS3/Xbox 360.

Wii U had a few heavy hitters and Virtual Console.
Xbox however had way more big games, so Xbox One.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Wii U easily wins because despite their botched naming and hardware failed to sell as much as the predecessor, Nintendo did gave us some stellar first party games

The only memorable thing about Xbox One generation is the backward compatibility

Ceadeus

Gold Member
WiiU , it had quirky apps like Miiverse. Free online multiplayer. I liked the gamepad. Also I wouldn't trade Chronicles X against any One exclusive!

It had a 3D UI showing multiple new games and functionality, interchangeable with an apps style UI.

My only gripe with the WiiU is that is has too many cable to connect!

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I treasure my Wii U, but in my eyes, the Xbox had a better library. This doesn't take anything away from the library on the Wii U, as there are some bangers.

Švejk

Banned
WiiU by default. It immediately turned into my emu machine. I broke free from XB after 360 RROD. Never touched MS hardware since. Good riddance.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Wii U actually had unique games. The game pad was fun to use.

Xbox One just had worse versions of games you could play on PS4.
I mean if you have a PS4 then that’s obvious. But if the choice between WiiU and Xbox One from that gen then it’s not as easy as you make it to be, as WiiU had no real support from 3rd party and if WiiU can carry you throughout the generation.

Doom85

In terms of exclusives, Wii U easily. Kind of telling when the Switch got plenty of ports from them, and even then there’s still a few missing ones some fans were hoping for.

Also, I think OP is forgetting the latter half of 360’s gen, which did not go as smoothly as their first half. Meanwhile, PS3 had a great comeback in its second half. Not saying Xbox One was automatically doomed to lose, but if it had succeeded then they wouldn’t be so much continuing the momentum but rather regaining it.

CherryFalls

Banned
WiiU by far, it was a great console.

Just to name a few:

Lego City: Undercover
Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Pokken Tournament
Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Captain Toad
New Super Mario bros u
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World
Fatal Frame
Paper mario color splash
All the mario sports/olympic games
xenoblade chronicles X
Zelda twilight princess hd
Zelda wind waker hd

AREYOUOKAY?

Where is the stop button on this guy? Enough with these threads.
I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a certain banned user returning to spam more poll threads with yet another hidden alt. Very similar poll templates combined walls of text. Mods could easily determine if my suspicion is right yet again.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Wii U. My kids still play the Wii U. I think it’s the perfect console for kids to start off with.

Seeing my first kid start with Mario and end with Breath of the Wild on it was truly something.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
you can't be serious? you do realize the xbox one and ps4 libraries are extremely similar? add in orginal xbox and xbla and
360 titles I'd say overall xbox one has the best game lineup of that generation

unless you are some type of rabid Nintendo fanboy with reggie posters on the wall the answer is obviously xbox one

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Xbox One. I had more fun with it, it was a viable system for much longer, and original Xbox/360 BC was amazing and the One X refresh was the most powerful console of all time for 3 years, and X-enhanced BC was great. As a PC player I pretty much used Xbox One 90% for BC, which got a lot of use from me.

I got even more use out of Xbox One than I did PS4 or PS5, because of BC.

To this day, since 2015 I've probably turned on my Wii U a total of about 20 times (and some of that was turning it on just so the NAND doesn't die).

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

unless you are some type of rabid Nintendo fanboy with reggie posters on the wall the answer is obviously xbox one
You clearly haven’t been paying attention to what he’s doing. His thread templates can be summed up as “Sony good. These consoles did bad, but which is better between them?”.

Basically the intention is to get posters like you enraged.

Unfortunately everyone keeps taking the bait.

Last edited:

SHA

Xbox One, 3rd party games are just great, I don't understand Nintendo's relationship with 3rd party games as if they're the inclusive 3rd party platform.

Codes 208

Wii u had better first party support (to a degree. Unlike the switch and most consoles prior it lacked its own mainline zelda title, pokemon outside of pokken and the sm3dw wasnt exactly the 3d mario game people wanted)
The switch is what the wii u should have been.

Xb1 had better third party support and didnt need new hardware to revive its games as deluxe editions. But at the same time the xsx is just the xb1 but 4k, so at least the wii u’s successor was an actual improvement

If I were to rank consoles from last/this gen it’d be: switch > ps4 > ps5 > xb1 > wiiu > xsx/xss

cireza

Gold Member
My vote goes to the Wii U. I always loved this console, and a reason is that it was a great representation of what a video-game console should be. Not a huge betamax player or computer, but a small, optimized and low power consuming product, that doesn't release a ton of heat. It was also the most consumer oriented product Nintendo ever created in my opinion. It was BC with Wii and GC and offered a ton of old games on the shop with good emulation. It was good for browsing the web and had a competent youtube app. Excellent device.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

You clearly haven’t been paying attention to what he’s doing. His thread templates can be summed up as “Sony good. These consoles did bad, but which is better between them?”.

Basically the intention is to get posters like you enraged.

Unfortunately everyone keeps taking the bait.

Lol, fuck no. The original threads were made more because I loved the sega systems and wanted appreciation for them.

This one was made on the suggestion of another poster in the last thread.

Not sure why you’re so unhealthily obsessed with me bro. Your posts in the thread are about me and not the topic. Thanks, but I have to admit I’m not interested in you so go out and touch some grass or some shit

El Muerto

Gold Member
I own both. Going with Xbone on this. Wii U just didnt have any games and imo wasnt worth modding to play games i missed. Xbone had gamepass and a decent library too. Also didnt like the Wii U controller because the range was awful.

Top Bottom