• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

Ryan_09

About to finish my playthrough and Platinum Bioshock 1. Haven't encountered any glitches apart from a freeze that lasted 10 seconds, once. Having an absolute blast with it. Bioshock is in my top 5 games of all time and all the changes are incredibly noticeable to me, but I don't mind most of the changes apart from two: the water effects and audio mixing. They don't ruin the game for me, but definitely shouldn't have been an issue at all. Especially since I wear headphones for almost all of my gaming, the audio in particular drives me nuts sometime. Olympus Heights/Apollo Square were the worst with this.

I also realized that trying to get all of the achievements/trophies in one playthrough hurts my enjoyment of the game. Lol. I generally go with a build that prioritizes plasmids... but I couldn't upgrade at all until the 2nd to last level due to potentially running out of adam for the Gatherer's Garden tonics for that Gene Tonic Collector trophy. Though it was pretty neat using a tonic/wrench/pistol/u-invent-focused build on Survivor. My OCD hates that I have to forego most of the health upgrades though.

The collection does have value for me if only for the slight new coat of paint and the director's commentary though. ^-^ As of now though, the Xbox 360 version of the Ultimate Rapture Edition is my definitive version, as it is the original vision of the game, plus the PS3 extras. I'm totes alright with 720p/30fps. XD

Hoping to finish up tonight and start on Bioshock 2!

Was so tempted to buy Mafia but I just couldn't do it and now installing this, bring on a big daddy!

Loved the first one can't wait to get stuck in.

Afro

FOV slider working great. I can actually admire the art design now w/o feeling like I'm looking through binoculars. Just curious, what was the FOV locked to pre-patch? 75?

409710_20161007122818ybr5m.jpg

Stoze

FOV slider working great. I can actually admire the art design now w/o feeling like I'm looking through binoculars. Just curious, what was the FOV locked to pre-patch? 75?

I think with expanded FoV turned on it was 90. By default I think it's 75.

Vinter

Haven't noticed that. I think the game looks stunning and runns perfectly on PS4.

You are lucky then. I play it on PS4 as well, but have experienced several bugs and issues with textures. Some framedrops, but mostly related to bugs. It looks nice and all but it certainly has its issues.

Lakitu

st5fu
Finished all 3 games and all DLC, loved it.

But all it does is make me want more and especially another return to Rapture with similar gameplay and level design to the first two, especially Bioshock 2. Please happen.

Anung

Un Rama
Got the platinum for Infinite earlier today. Was dreading certain parts of 1999 mode but Fire traps and return to sender make it a joke. Just playing Burial at Sea now for the first time and I'm enjoying it. Really appreciating part 2's lean towards stealth.

Managed to get the platinum for all 3 bioshocks which is cool. The ending of Bioshock 2 really makes me want a follow up to that story.

Tried out the PC Patch on Bioshock 1. FOV slider works well, and unlike the old expanded FOV option, this one keeps your view of your weapons and arms fixed. I know some people didn't like seeing more of Jack's arms before.

Mouse movement feels about the same as it does after applying previous fixes. Nice that we don't have to edit ini files anymore.

Great quality of life fixes, but the artistic changes to the game still would have me lean towards the original.

J_Viper

So is it still recommended to play the originals on PC over these "remasters"?

I kinda wanted Steam Achievements from the first one, which are only in the remaster.

Filben

So is it still recommended to play the originals on PC over these "remasters"?
Hard to say. The generall graphics quality has improved except for certain scenes. You have Steam achievements and cloud saving support and the FOV of the original one is kinda ridiculous. Mouse controls are fixed now but I don't know about the crashes that would be the real deal killer (crashed 3 times pre-patch within 5 hours of gameplay; unaccaptable). If that got fixed I tend to recommend the remastered over the original one. If you don't care for achievements and cloud support, just don't bother and play the original one.

Lucreto

Does New Game plus stop me getting the I chose the Impossible trophy?

The game glitches somewhere and reset the survivor difficultly back to medium.

Edit: Nevermind, I used a glitch to get the trophies.

Kaswa101

Damn, Minerva's Den was awesome. 😳

I just finished BS1, 2 and MD for the first time, and I can't really understand the love for BS1. I felt that BS2 nailed the mechanics and story a lot better than the first game, even if it lacked a bit more punch in its twists and villains. I think it's safe to say that MD is the best of them all though. Really tightly-knitted story with great pacing, imo.

Afro

For G-sync users, I found the game stutters with in-game v-sync off. Buttery smooth when enabled. Just a tip. Game doesn't like G-sync.

edit: nvm, v-sync was disabled in Nvidia for some reason causing the FPS to fly over way over 144, causing stutter.

seph1roth

After the patch i only have two complaints...

- Missing effects from the original games, i mean, in general they look better on the remaster but those effects must be in the game.

- Window/full screen mode and AF are still broken, they reset every time i close the game.

With reshade Bioshock 1 and 2 looks amazing ^^ man...the art style is incredible.

system11

The Fort Frolic bug is alive and well I see - after some hours of play my game is stuck - great.

Recommend creating a save game once you've done the Lazarus thing just in case. I don't think I can be bothered to go back to the start again, my save game and autosave aren't old enough to avoid the bug so I'm completely stuck outside a locked up Fort Frolic.

Bioshocker

I'm playing Infinite right now. The first BioShock didn't quite connect with me now nine years later. It's still intriguing, but the combat is just meh. And I remember I felt pretty much the same back then. "If only it had less combat and more exploration" I remember thinking.

BioShock Infinite is still great, though. I noticed how bad some things looks close up (I'm playing it on Xbox One), but anyway. The game looks great overall, and the gameplay is so much smoother than in BS1 and 2.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Beat Bioshock and Bioshock 2. It was nice playing Bioshock after so many years. I had pretty much forgot everything about the game, so it was great to experience it again. I played Bioshock 2 immediately after, and that's perhaps why I got kinda bored of it. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to take a month or so break before I play Infinite for the 1st time.

JoeNut

Think i'm gonna get this, i played a fair chunk of the first one but never completed it for some reason.

Mafia 3 was on my list but considering the reviews i think i'd be better off giving it a miss

Vinter

Finished the first game now, and damn is it still good. Probably one of my favourite games ever and it was blast to play through it again. A shame there was so many bugs and such with this remaster, but the story, gameplay and overall atmosphere is just top class.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Has the random crashing in Minerva's Den been fixed? I was playing the original version before The Collection came out and I kind of gave up after a crash that made me start the whole level from zero.

muzzymate

I keep checking my system and this forum thread for news of a console patch to fix a bunch of this release's issues. And every time, I leave disappointed.

muzzymate

Same here. I don't even care about stability or crashes. Just give me back my 5.1 sound, please!

Seriously! I don't understand how that passed QA testing. I noticed I was only getting 2.0 sound out of Bioshock 1 within 10 seconds after the intro video. So frustrating

Wanted to hop in and say that if you can't save your game in Bioshock 2, try deleting some saves from Bioshock 1. Thanks to Plum for pointing it out.

rbanke

I fired it up a few days ago on PC just to see how it looked and ended up getting sucked in all over again but man this shit crashes so often it's insane. I've lost several saves due to corruption because of it crashing while saving that I've had to restore backups and make rotating multiple saves just to keep from losing progress. Nearly every time I've quit playing has been because it crashed and I just don't feel up to making up the past several minutes I've just lost.

It's also a bit crazy how slow it is to open the map or save the game on a high end machine.

Fuck this shit.
Been playing Burial at Sea EP1. Game got stuck when going through the air lock. The door just kept spinning and didn't open. Couldn't go back.
I think this bug was already in the game back then. Only lost like 5min of progress so I just releaded.
Then I had to search for the Lockpicks because it's hard as fuck to find those in the DLC.
And then again the same air lock bug. Lost almost 30min of progress.
Fuck this shit I'm done playing this.

Fuck this shit.
Been playing Burial at Sea EP1. Game got stuck when going through the air lock. The door just kept spinning and didn't open. Couldn't go back.
I think this bug was already in the game back then. Only lost like 5min of progress so I just releaded.
Then I had to search for the Lockpicks because it's hard as fuck to find those in the DLC.
Good god, can't believe they didn't fix that glitch. I mean, I can believe but woof.

Fuck this shit.

Yep, that spinning door happened to me here, and I definitely remember it happening with the original release. Pissed me off.

MauroNL

So its been well over a month now since release and we haven't heard anything about a console patch. I'm seriously thinking they won't even bother with a patch. Or they are working on one, but for some reason decide to not say anything about it which angers people more.

Seriously what the hell are they doing?!

DOWN

Banned
So its been well over a month now since release and we haven't heard anything about a console patch. I'm seriously thinking they won't even bother with a patch. Or they are working on one, but for some reason decide to not say anything about it which angers people more.

Seriously what the hell are they doing?!
PC patch has been out for a while and they communicated about it

Seems like they are taking the scummy approach of no patch for consoles

Gator86

Even though I'm all digital now, I might buy a used copy of this on PS4 to make sure Blind Squirrel/2K doesn't get a dime from me, even a couple bucks during a flash sale. Still in disbelief they blew this remaster.

made it to the part in Bioshock where you have to find the Big Daddy suit and haven't played since. the fetch quests just got too boring, the combat too repetitive, etc. not sure I'll finish the game. feels like the most interesting locations were all placed at the start of the game and it's diminishing returns at the end...

Top Bottom