• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

Anyone else as disappointed as I with the ending to Infinite's DLC campaigns? I finally got around to playing them after only playing the original on the 360. The way it ended was terrible though. Kinda wished I just never bothered anyway.

Anyone else as disappointed as I with the ending to Infinite's DLC campaigns? I finally got around to playing them after only playing the original on the 360. The way it ended was terrible though. Kinda wished I just never bothered anyway.

Your feeling tends to be the consensus. Because yes, the story is...not good.

rubes7844

Banned
Amazing - just received a full refund for this through Sony Support. Just basically explained it was technically not what I expected at all - removal of effects from the original, sound issues in Infinite, and framerate problems - and the guys immediately issued a "one time" refund.

Great to have this turd off my hard drive - still can't believe 2K would disrespect such a landmark series, but happy to just play my OG PC versions :)

EDIT: and see below
So glad that I never let stuff like this bother me.

Catvoca

Banned

I just finished the first episode today and yeah, this story is not good so far. At least it's kinda fun to be back in rapture, and enjoyed the gameplay. Not enjoying the stealth stuff or the writing in this second part so far though, think I might have to force myself to finish it. Pretty bummed since I love Infinite, I expected more from the DLC.

Edit: The performance during the DLC has been pretty poor as well.

Mild case of OCD... do I need to save them to get the best ending?

If you bring a little sister to a vent you can save them even if you haven't done the gathers.

muzzymate

Is there anyway to get 5.1 working on Bioshock 1 on the Xbox One version? I only seem to have 2.0 sound being generated. Bioshock 2 & Infinite utilizes all six speakers.

Azzanadra

It was...alright in my opinion. I don't mind
Elizabeth dying
but the execution left much to be desired, and I didn't like the
forced connection to the first game.

Other than that though, Burial at Sea had some great moments even if the overarching story was meh. I did shed a tear the first time I finished it though, it just felt...complete, the whole Bioshock experience being tied up like that felt euphoric in the moment.

One thing I really felt was a missed opportunity though was how little of Columbia we actually saw - in total we had 2 games and 3 DLCs in Rapture while we had only one game for Columbia. I guess it kind of makes sense because
Columbia doesn't exist in any universes anyways so it feels pointless
but I still feel we saw too little of that city... or we saw too much of Rapture.

Speaking of Infinite...one question I always had about the ending.
Why was Liz so hellbent on killing *all* Comstocks and erasing Columbia from all universes? If there are infinite universes, there are an infinite amount of death, atrocities etc. out there. There's probably a universe where Nazi Germany won the war, as is there a universe where humans are extinct. Kind of a nihilistic point of view, but in that omnipotent view Elizabeth has at that point, why does she even care?

Nice, I hadn't seen DF's BioShock 2 video yet.

It seems to fare better than the first game, but a lot of the same problems are still present. I've yet to see a single screen from these remasters that makes me unequivocally say, "Yes, that looks much better than the original." Even in cases where the textures are crisper, I find myself wondering why they changed the artistic design of this detail or that.

Maybe I'm just being a stubborn purist, but the overwhelming feeling I'm getting from these remasters is that they convey nothing that is not conveyed by the originals, and at times they even convey much less. I've been holding off on booting up these new versions while I waited for the impressions to roll in, and now my mind is pretty much made up. At the very least I have a good excuse to play the originals all over again on PC. I haven't played BioShock 2 since way back when it came out on the 360. I remember enjoying it but not loving it (as I did the first), but maybe with a fresh set of eyes and different expectations I can find the game that so many others rave about.

Fury451

Banned

No, I kinda hated them. The pre-downfall Rapture stuff and overall environment was nice enough in visual design though, even if it was brief and pretty paper-thin (much like the excuse for now having sky-hooks undersea).

The rest, no.

Nice, I hadn't seen DF's BioShock 2 video yet.

It seems to fare better than the first game, but a lot of the same problems are still present. I've yet to see a single screen from these remasters that makes me unequivocally say, "Yes, that looks much better than the original." Even in cases where the textures are crisper, I find myself wondering why they changed the artistic design of this detail or that.

Maybe I'm just being a stubborn purist, but the overwhelming feeling I'm getting from these remasters is that they convey nothing that is not conveyed by the originals, and at times they even convey much less. I've been holding off on booting up these new versions while I waited for the impressions to roll in, and now my mind is pretty much made up. At the very least I have a good excuse to play the originals all over again on PC. I haven't played BioShock 2 since way back when it came out on the 360. I remember enjoying it but not loving it (as I did the first), but maybe with a fresh set of eyes and different expectations I can find the game that so many others rave about.
I was having a discussion with another member in the DF Bioshock 2 Analysis thread, and he actually did a rather extensive screenshot comparison as well (here). My initial takeaway was that the new textures, while not always completely faithful, actually looked quite nice sometimes, and retain the look and feel of the original scene. The remodeled rivet gun also looks great. It wasn't until I saw the Candyland comparison that I noticed some flatout downgrades (IMO of course). These ones in particular stood out to me:

youtu.be-goyz3ovl9rkxusra.png

The difference in lighting here is pretty stark. The lack of shadowing on the little sister, and have a look at the candles behind her.

youtu.be-goyz3ovl9rk1aps31.png

I don't think this one needs any explanation.

youtu.be-goyz3ovl9rk27usub.png

This one is more evident in the video, but the shadow from the fan above is cast on the diving suits in the original, and accurately moves with the fan's rotation. No such shadow is cast in the remaster.

youtu.be-e9e5epzse0mttsq9.png

This one is from the DF analysis. The underwater sections in Bioshock 2 were some of the best looking parts of the game, why would you want to neuter it like that?

f@luS

More than a member.
Seriously sometimes it's too much. I just finished the first one on PS4. Looked amazing. So smooth. That's enough for me :)

Nose Master

Man, the "commentary" in this is such a bummer. I expected something like portal with substance, not a 45 minute interview chopped up and crapped onto the disc.

Its so strange cause the museum had a decent amount of work put into it, too. Best utilization of sketches I've seen in a video game.

There is one scene that I thought was really effective:
That first-person enhanced interrogation, holy shit.

Otherwise, boy was part 1 nothing, and boy was part 2 a bunch of fanfic wank.

Jesus I am sick of how drawn out the damn little sister business is in B2. How much different is the ending with saving them? I can't remember. Debating just harvesting to get thru it quicker. What a stupid fucking mechanic.
Yep. Just started minervas den (never played it) and I'm super bummed I have to deal with the gathers more. Its so damn boring. But I feel like i have to do it.

Stoze

Man, the "commentary" in this is such a bummer. I expected something like portal with substance, not a 45 minute interview chopped up and crapped onto the disc.

Its so strange cause the museum had a decent amount of work put into it, too. Best utilization of sketches I've seen in a video game.

Sure it's not traditional commentary, but it's an excellent interview and has plenty of substance. It's also about 2 hours long and not 45 mins. I really enjoyed watching all of them after I finished the game.

Still waiting on that patch if it ever comes, don't feel like tinkering with config files and stuff again before playing Bioshock 2.

sdornan

Just finished both parts of Burial at Sea for the first time.The story was a bit convoluted and it didn't quite hit the highs I expected, but man that opening Paris scene in Episode 2 was one of the most beautiful video game environments I've ever seen.

Iceternal

Damn ... is there a way to improve the sound mix or is it botched forever ?

I can hear the impact on the metal of the wall 15 meters away louder than the fucking machine gun in my hands ! It's ridiculous.

Playing Burial at Sea for the first time.

Lots of technical issues. Got stuck in one of the airlock cycling sections when the door wouldn't open. And the OG BioShock-style control scheme won't let you use the weapon wheel to change weapons.

Story's...okay. I like seeing the
not really
peaceful Rapture, but the settings where the actual gameplay takes place aren't that great.
That Paris scene at the opening of Part 2 was lovely, though.
Also not really digging the themes. Doesn't feel like a good extension of anything Infinite was going for.

Lucreto

Started Bioshock on Survivor with no Vita chambers on. I never entered the options menu but after finishing the game it somehow ended up on medium again. I am raging.

Curious to know what steps you took to issue a refund. Did you need to go through chat support, or did you write them an email?

Because I too want this piece of shit off of my hdd. It isn't quite Silent Hill Collection bad, but it's not too far off either.

Edit: Froze again.

Sorry just saw this. I literally just spoke with them on chat support online, and he had it refunded within a few minutes. Again, just emphasized technical issues, and I think it's pretty key that you don't put it in a ton of playtime.

So glad that I never let stuff like this bother me.

I'm glad for you too - ignorance is bliss, keep it up. I specifically stated that for those that never played the original, it probably wouldn't be a huge issue. But even if the graphical issues don't bother you, the crashing and other impeding technical issues on console which have still not been fixed are pretty brazen. Also, the principle of paying full price for a product that is worse than it's 5 dollar equivalent which has been available for 10 years should probably bother you, but to each his own I suppose.

Started Bioshock on Survivor with no Vita chambers on. I never entered the options menu but after finishing the game it somehow ended up on medium again. I am raging.

Oh my god what the fuck

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Have they fixed the PC version yet? I really want to play it for the first time but it kept crashing amongst other issues.

muzzymate

Really wish I would have waited to buy this, even with Bioshock 1 & Infinite being one of my favorites from last-gen.

• From being on the official Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility "Coming Soon" list and then getting pulled...
  • To crappy answers on their FAQ page: Q:"Help! I can't stream Bioshock: The Collection" A: "I'm sure you'd love to. But you can't." http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/227187228-Help-I-Can-t-Stream-BioShock-The-Collection Ummm... ok?
  • To losing my save data in Bioshock 1...
  • To only having stereo audio on the Xbox One version of Bioshock 1 (FFS!)
  • To the constant stuttering of Bioshock Infinite on Xbox One
  • And worst of all, for fucking up water... in a Bioshock game.

So I'm in Point Prometheus in Bioshock 1 (PC). I saved all the little sister of that level, and did the side quest and was ready to continue the main quest when I think "Eh, I should save my game. Just in case".

So I pause, save - > saving... Bioshock exe. stopped working

I relaunch the game fearing the worst, and indeed my manual save was dead. I only had the autosave which was on the beginning of the level.

why

Vinter

This happened to me as well. Luckily I was only at the end of Medical Pavilion when I noticed it. Restarting was not really an issue at that point. It should not happen at all though.

This game is actually one of the most glitchiest games I have played in a while. Between the textures not showing and the frames dropping to zero, the absolute worst is the audio. There is some serious issues with the audio mix. I can hear enemies and cameras that are several rooms away, and more than once there has been audio loops going on. One example is when I left an area with a turret. I could hear it shoot at an enemy that was returning fire. After I left I could hear the same 5 second loop of someone firing a gun at something like it was right next to me. The loop never went away, even when i left the area. It was driving me so mad I had to just stop playing.

RedStep

This happened to me as well. Luckily I was only at the end of Medical Pavilion when I noticed it. Restarting was not really an issue at that point. It should not happen at all though.

This game is actually one of the most glitchiest games I have played in a while. Between the textures not showing and the frames dropping to zero, the absolute worst is the audio. There is some serious issues with the audio mix. I can hear enemies and cameras that are several rooms away, and more than once there has been audio loops going on. One example is when I left an area with a turret. I could hear it shoot at an enemy that was returning fire. After I left I could hear the same 5 second loop of someone firing a gun at something like it was right next to me. The loop never went away, even when i left the area. It was driving me so mad I had to just stop playing.

This happened to me as well, no idea when it changed but I only noticed at the end when I didn't get my difficulty achievements. I reloaded the last level and played it again on the higher difficulty,which thankfully unlocked the achievements.

Angry Fork

I decided to just not care about the survivor achievement after getting the difficulty change glitch also. Just gonna go through the game on survivor anyway even if it doesn't get me the achievement, but it does suck. I don't have the patience to restart the game and constantly check the difficulty to make sure it hasn't switched.

That and the random crashes + audio bugs are lame. I know it was a free upgrade and all but those are really shitty glitches =/. The original PC version is just as bad though so I can't really go back to that. I saw posts saying Bio 2 is better hopefully that's true.

Hopefully they haven't abandoned the games and really do intend on giving us a patch for this stuff.

psychotron

Really wish I would have waited to buy this, even with Bioshock 1 & Infinite being one of my favorites from last-gen.

• From being on the official Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility "Coming Soon" list and then getting pulled...
  • To crappy answers on their FAQ page: Q:"Help! I can't stream Bioshock: The Collection" A: "I'm sure you'd love to. But you can't." http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/227187228-Help-I-Can-t-Stream-BioShock-The-Collection Ummm... ok?
  • To losing my save data in Bioshock 1...
  • To only having stereo audio on the Xbox One version of Bioshock 1 (FFS!)
  • To the constant stuttering of Bioshock Infinite on Xbox One
  • And worst of all, for fucking up water... in a Bioshock game.

Seriously. I'm so burned over this shit, unless I see Nixxes or BluePoint on the box, I'm done with remasters unless GAF gives the seal of approval. 2K and Blind Squirrels should be ashamed.

Fisty

This happened to me as well, no idea when it changed but I only noticed at the end when I didn't get my difficulty achievements. I reloaded the last level and played it again on the higher difficulty,which thankfully unlocked the achievements.

Yeah this, you can actually play the entire game on easy with no Vita chambers and then switch it to Survivor right before the elevator to the last boss. The trophy will still pop

Nere

Did they announced any date for the patch they were talking about? Between the settings and the difficulty changing on their own all the time, the glitches and the random crashes I just can't be arsed playing it anymore. An awesome game ruined by a lazy remaster. I quit playing the original Bioshock on the PC because of the same bugs, thought they would fix them in the remaster but nope I can still recognize many of the same bugs, a shame.

leng jai

Burial at Sea's art direct is incredible and the gameplay is far better than the base game. I never cared too much about the story in these games so that's probably why I enjoyed it more than others.

Aurongel

This is the buggiest mess I've played all year. Got two crashes on the splash screen after installing it and now it crashes any time I enter the first bathysphere.

If I paid money for this then I'd be livid. Just total garbage all around with a laughably poor "improved" FOV.

pots555

Playing Bioshock 2 and I'm at the part where
The guy wants you to kill him and you have to start the generators.
Am I near the end? I love the game, but I am ready for it to finish. Too many combats in this one.

I was gonna start a Bioshock Infinite playthrough tonight but I was also gonna stream it - turns out apparently you can't stream this at all! And 2K gave no explanation, which is really annoying. Oh well.

ike_

Am I near the end? I love the game, but I am ready for it to finish. Too many combats in this one.

Based on that spoiler tag I think you have at least 1-2 hours left with a few more big combat sections remaining.

But yeah I just finished BioShock 2 + Minerva's Den for the first time too and I gotta say it probably lands as my favorite in the trilogy. The gameplay around defending little sisters to rack up the ADAM and then sending them home is really fun, mainly because it is at your discretion. And being a big daddy kind of helps justify how strong you are and how much damage you can take. Felt really good.

Is saved data only a problem on PS4? 15 hrs on XB1 for BS1 and 4 hrs so far in BS2, no issues.

It becomes a bigger problem the farther you get in the game. In the early sections I had almost 20 saves going, and one by one they had to be deleted for space even on an overwrite until by the time I finished I have maybe half of them left.

But that's on ps4 at least.

Dommo

After that, you'll be heading into the final act of the game. Maybe 1-2 hours left.

dankir

What are you saying, I thought the general consensus around Infinite's DLC was better than the main game. I loved it and how it brought everything together.

So bottom line, would you guys say that this collection is still a big step up from the PS3 versions?

If one only ever had access to the games on PS3, surely this is a worthwhile purchase?

Top Bottom