• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

Bioshocker

So bottom line, would you guys say that this collection is still a big step up from the PS3 versions?

If one only ever had access to the games on PS3, surely this is a worthwhile purchase?

I have all three games and all the DLC for my Xbox 360. It's been a while since I played them but I think that although the collection is nice I don't consider it a big step up. So it all depends if you're a big fan, if you want to play the games with slightly better graphics and with a better controller or if you're fine with enjoying them on old hardware. I think the Nathan Drake Collection was a bigger step than the BioShock Collection.

I started Bioshock 2 and once I tried to save my game, it told me my PS4 didn't have enough space. Went into settings, deleted a bunch of save game data as well as other full games I had downloaded, and I still got the same message. Is this a known issue? What am I doing wrong?

Fury451

Banned
So bottom line, would you guys say that this collection is still a big step up from the PS3 versions?

If one only ever had access to the games on PS3, surely this is a worthwhile purchase?

It's a notable step up, yes.

It's not the greatest of upgrades, especially if you previously had them on PC, but as far as a current generation remaster goes, it's more than serviceable and you can still find yourself getting lost in the environments if you want

Plum

I started Bioshock 2 and once I tried to save my game, it told me my PS4 didn't have enough space. Went into settings, deleted a bunch of save game data as well as other full games I had downloaded, and I still got the same message. Is this a known issue? What am I doing wrong?

I think I remember seeing that you have to delete some saves from the original Bioshock to save in 2. Bullshit I know but it's worth a try

eshwaaz

I think I remember seeing that you have to delete some saves from the original Bioshock to save in 2. Bullshit I know but it's worth a try
Yep, this is correct. I had to delete all but 3 of my BioShock 1 saves to be able to save in BioShock 2. Incredibly sloppy, really.

Anyone got any handy tips to make 1999 mode as easy as possible?

You will find it hard just at the beginning.
After you begin to gain the vigors, it will become more easy.
When you get Undertow, abuse it. It is the best vigor for 1999 in my opinion.

Chozo_Lord

Anyone got any handy tips to make 1999 mode as easy as possible?

If you're not afraid of abusing glitches, there is a way to get infinite lockpicks/money/gear early on in the game. Winter's shield gear is pretty op in that any time you attach to a hook/skyline you get 10 seconds of invulnerability, so you can keep jumping on/off a hook while attacking to never take damage. Charge is probably the most broken vigor. Fully upgraded charge, Blood to salts gear, vampire's embrace gear, and brittle skinned gear means pretty much unlimited charges doing a ton of damage while never running out of salts or health.

playing infinite again made me find my 'art of... ' book and i realised nate wells' stuff isn't featured at all, which is a bit harsh as i believe he was art director until he left irrational.

Nose Master

Levine is such a Molyneux sometimes. Commentary spoilers:
Uh huh, I'm sure you remembered something from when you were one year old.

So I got the remasters for free because I already owned the originals in Steam. First comparisions I've seen make the remasters look worse than the original, wtf?

Anung

Un Rama
You will find it hard just at the beginning.
After you begin to gain the vigors, it will become more easy.
When you get Undertow, abuse it. It is the best vigor for 1999 in my opinion.

It's still easy. Upgrade vigors (possession and crow trap) and your shield, change out perks for different situations and it's hard to die.

If you're not afraid of abusing glitches, there is a way to get infinite lockpicks/money/gear early on in the game. Winter's shield gear is pretty op in that any time you attach to a hook/skyline you get 10 seconds of invulnerability, so you can keep jumping on/off a hook while attacking to never take damage. Charge is probably the most broken vigor. Fully upgraded charge, Blood to salts gear, vampire's embrace gear, and brittle skinned gear means pretty much unlimited charges doing a ton of damage while never running out of salts or health.

Thanks guys! Yeah I wouldn't mind using exploits just to get through it asap. I just hit the Hall of Heroes and nearly have a maxed shield. Mainly using the Carbine to headshot people at a distance. Trying to not use dollar bill vendors for that trophy.

Jombie

Thanks guys! Yeah I wouldn't mind using exploits just to get through it asap. I just hit the Hall of Heroes and nearly have a maxed shield. Mainly using the Carbine to headshot people at a distance. Trying to not use dollar bill vendors for that trophy.

There's a perk that increases drop rates and it's very useful. Upgrade charge and undertow as quickly as possible when you get them.

I never realized how op the wrench could be. I'm playing on hard and I literally beat the shit out of a Big Daddy Bouncer. I had on a bunch of wrench perks such as the freezing perk, the increased damage perks, and the quick hitting perk. The poor Bouncer couldn't even move. The only downside is that it killed my finger to pull it off for so long lol

JoduanER2

I never realized how op the wrench could be. I'm playing on hard and I literally beat the shit out of a Big Daddy Bouncer. I had on a bunch of wrench perks such as the freezing perk, the increased damage perks, and the quick hitting perk. The poor Bouncer couldn't even move. The only downside is that it killed my finger to pull it off for so long lol

Interesting, will try this.

Anung

Un Rama
Which weapons out of the Sniper or Handcanon should I use for 1999 mode? Sniper is great but I keep running dry on ammo.

eshwaaz

Just started Infinite last night (PS4) - is the stuttering this bad throughout? All through the lighthouse section it was awful.

Jombie

Which weapons out of the Sniper or Handcanon should I use for 1999 mode? Sniper is great but I keep running dry on ammo.

Volley gun on heavy hitters and the armored enemies that appear late-game and carbine for most others. I don't bother fighting the volley gun / rpg guys, use possession on them.

PhaZZe

Banned
PC Patch Live

BioShock 1
Field-Of-View is now adjustable from 75 to 130 in the Graphics Options Menu.
21:9 Resolutions are now available. UI supports 2 modes (Stretch or Centered) at these resolutions.
Resolved several graphical issues on NVidia hardware
New Graphics options available for lower-end machines
Mouse Button 4 and 5 assignments fixed
Mouse Icon Size is now adjustable and will scale with resolution.
Several improvements have been made to Mouse Sensitivity, Threshold, and Buffering
Settings will no longer automatically reset on improperly shutting down BioShock
Speaker Mode should now be selectable from the Audio Options Menu
Fixed an initialization bug with Audio System.
Miscellaneous bug fixes

BioShock 2
Field-Of-View is now adjustable from 75 to 130 in the Graphics Options Menu.
21:9 Resolutions are now available. UI supports 2 modes (Stretch or Centered) at these resolutions.
Mouse Button 4 and 5 assignments fixed.
Mouse Icon Size is now adjustable and will scale with resolution.
Several improvements have been made to Mouse Sensitivity, Threshold, and Buffering
DirectX 11 Performance improvements
Fixed several graphical issues with Occlusion Culling.
Miscellaneous bug fixes

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Downloading the patch now, hoping for the best.

Hope the audio is fixed. I don't want to hear splicers that are in other rooms than me as if they were right next to me.

edit: Audio seems to be fixed yay!

Anung

Un Rama
Actually got through most of the game easily enough on 1999 mode. I was worried about handymen but have managed to kill them with only minor problems.

Stuck on Lady Comstock now like I expected. God I hate this boss so damn much.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Mouse movement still feels horrible to me after the patch, it's like I have VSync on when I don't, just not smooth or accurate at all :/

muzzymate

Now let's get that patch to the Xbox One version of Bioshock 1! I've been holding off since the audio mode defaulted to 2.0 and they forgot to put in the menu option to change to 5.1.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I played for nearly 2 hours post patch and I didn't crash once which was nice, I was crashing very often before so the game is now playable for me. Mouse movement still feels off, maybe a little better but still not right, the audio is still terrible especially when firing weapons (the sound goes very quite and they just have no punch to them at all. The mix in general is just so poor). Overall it's much of the same just without the crashing. It's my first time playing the series and I do love the atmosphere and story but gameplay is very janky which does hurt the experience but to be fair it is an old game and this isn't much of a remaster so I was expecting some old school jank. I found myself wanting to keep playing which is a good sign, it's not blowing me away like I was hoping it would (I kept hearing how it was a must play series and thus far it's not IMO) but there's a good chance I'll finish it for the story alone.

Top Bottom