• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong needs DLSS for 1080p/Medium Settings with ray tracing on an RTX 4060

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's probably been on their website for a while and we had a PC requirements thread 2 months ago, but it was in Chinese and I don't know if DLSS was specified. Anyway, the more recent requirements on the English page do mention DLSS (although not what level).

WFdg8k2.png

Assuming this is DLSS Quality, then the base resolution of the 4060 will be 720p. This doesn't bode too well for the 60 fps mode on PS5 because it's very likely using FSR2 to hit its 1440p target as well. What makes this a bit nebulous is whether or not the Performance Mode on PS5 uses ray tracing. If it does, then it might upscale from an even lower resolution than 720p. Or perhaps it's the 8GB of the 4060 holding it back.

Remains to be seen but FSR2 generally doesn't look too good with such a low base resolution. Hopefully, we will still get a clean presentation. A lot depends on the ray tracing (or lack thereof).

Also, the page is quite different from the older Chinese page of June.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Doesn't look that much better to me. In fact in the pathtraced version the water lost its murkiness which Digital Foundry brings up.

It’s kind of strange how the path-traced version’s water is so clear compared to the dirtier and murkier water of the non-path-traced one. I prefer the look of the latter because it makes more sense to have dirty water in this type of environment than the sparkling clear reflective water.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It’s kind of strange how the path-traced version’s water is so clear compared to the dirtier and murkier water of the non-path-traced one. I prefer the look of the latter because it makes more sense to have dirty water in this type of environment than the sparkling clear reflective water.

The pathtraced version must not be getting the proper information. Alex doesn't think the pathtracing is playing nice with Nanite.

nkarafo

DLSS isn't a feature for you to get better performance than you normally would. It's a workaround for NVIDIA to be able to sell weaker hardware without lowering the price. And they use this software trick to bring the performance back to normal. It's for their own benefit, not your's. DLSS is basically mandatory for the card to function at it's normal performance level in accordance to it's price point, you don't get "extra performance" from it.

Fess

Wow. The system requirements are brutal. 4080 Super... ok, least it's not 4090, but almost could be.
5090 here I come. Give it, Nvidia! Mother fuckers.
You could always lower some setting but I get what you’re saying. Bought a 4080 Super this year. Already hitting scenarios where I can’t instinctively go for ultra everything on that PC is concerning.

It seems that the requirements at max settings will be extremely high, maybe even higher compared to PT mode in Cyberpunk.

I'm surprised how much faster the RTX4070 is in this game compared to the RTX3080, becasue FG cant triple framerate and without FG both cards offer similar performance even in RT.

Screenshot-20240811-085644-Samsung-Internet.jpg

At 4K, the RTX4080 needs FG and DLSS performance to get to 100fps barier. I was hoping my 4080S would be able to get 60fps at 1440p DLSS quality (without FG), but the RTX4080S cant double the RTX3080 results (26fps at 1440p DLSS quality), so I guess I will have to turn off some RT settings on top of that to get 60fps.

Screenshot-20240811-090422-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Last edited:
You could always lower some setting but I get what you’re saying. Bought a 4080 Super this year. Already hitting scenarios where I can’t instinctively go for ultra everything on that PC is concerning.
Are you new to PC gaming? I have been playing on the PC for over 3 decades and there have always been some extremely demanding games that have destroyed even the best hardware (because some developer include settings for next generation of GPUs). A better GPU will only give you better performance relative to a weaker GPU, so you can play with fewer compromises.

But I'm still extremely happy with the performance of the RTX4080S, because no GPU before (not even 1080ti) allowed me to max out my monitor capabilities so easily and it's not even nvidia top dog. The RTX4090 is up to 50% faster and that's the real king of the hill.

Last edited:

Fess

Are you new to PC gaming? I have been playing on the PC for over 3 decades and there have always been some extremely demanding games that have destroyed even the best hardware (because some developer include settings for next generation of GPUs). A better GPU will only give you better performance relative to a weaker GPU, so you can play with fewer compromises.

But I'm still extremely happy with the performance of the RTX4080S, because no GPU before (not even 1080ti) allowed me to max out my monitor capabilities so easily and it's not even nvidia top dog. The RTX4090 is up to 50% faster and that's the real king of the hill.
Yeah fairly new, long time console gamer that got tired of 30fps last generation. I missed the whole ”Can it run Crysis?” era. Been enjoying ultra at 70-100 fps for a long time, I think Cyberpunk with RT was the first one for me where I had to lower settings.

raduque

Was this game's art designed around RTX, or will it still look good without it? I have an RTX 2080 desktop and a 3070Ti laptop, and I'm interested in this game, but I don't really care about RTX unless it adds something meaningful to the game, vs just being thrown on top.

diffusionx

Gold Member
DLSS isn't a feature for you to get better performance than you normally would. It's a workaround for NVIDIA to be able to sell weaker hardware without lowering the price. And they use this software trick to bring the performance back to normal. It's for their own benefit, not your's. DLSS is basically mandatory for the card to function at it's normal performance level in accordance to it's price point, you don't get "extra performance" from it.
Correct, but PC gamers are totally acclimated to and cool with it.

The 4xxx is old hardware at this point, we used to get yearly releases of GPUs, with the commensurate performance increases, imagine if we were on the 7th Gen of this technology instead of the 3rd. You could argue that we didn't need it, but now it is clear we do.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Doesn't look that much better to me. In fact in the pathtraced version the water lost its murkiness which Digital Foundry brings up.

Its one thing in a screenshot slider but I might go path tracing if only it gets rid of all the screen space artifacts, which Lumen is also in the list of.

LordOfChaos

I'm fine with this, as long as it's through a game pushing things and not just being badly optimized. For a stretch there we had all this hardware performance with very few games that ever challenged it, I like to see at least a few titles that push things.

Cmon Crysis 4, melt everyone

ClosBSAS

Lol how is this bad...its the first looking next gen game weve got since demons souls. Should be expected if you ask me

Top Bottom