• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne on pc now boots via emulator

Jinzo Prime

We will probably be there by the end of next year. The reason there's been so much progress so quickly is because this game engine is a known quantity by people in the emulation and PC modding community, so it's the perfect candidate to accelerate the development of the emulator.

This game is like how Breath of the Wild was for Wii U and Switch emulation. It acts as a target and point of focus for multiple, experienced developers to work out the bugs and get it running asap.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Tf!? The progress these dudes have been doing is insane. 😳
do remember that with "emulating" x86 systems like the PS4 it's mostly just a translation layer ala wine/proton

there is no CPU emulation that needs to be done because your computer runs on the same architecture. Meaning that if you have any decently powerful midrange computer from the last 2-3 years you can run the entire PS4 library (this software can reasonably reproduce) at higher than the Pro framerates and resolutions- the overhead is minimal enough (COMPARED TO PREVIOUS EMULATORS OF DIFFERENT CONSOLES) So yea we will be seeing 120hz versions of every PS4 game.

Technology is great innit?

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Calm down mate, if you puy a PS4 you can play the game now without all this nonsense, it is actually playable without your master race framerate you know
Season 3 Hug GIF by The Simpsons

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Calm down mate, if you puy a PS4 you can play the game now without all this nonsense, it is actually playable without your master race framerate you know
Already platinum the game, clown. It was obvious you were in this thread to troll. This makes you very upset.

I’ll be sure to bump your posts and have a good laugh at your crying when it’s fully playable.

spons

Gold Member
do remember that with "emulating" x86 systems like the PS4 it's mostly just a translation layer ala wine/proton

there is no CPU emulation that needs to be done because your computer runs on the same architecture. Meaning that if you have any decently powerful midrange computer from the last 2-3 years you can run the entire PS4 library (this software can reasonably reproduce) at higher than the Pro framerates and resolutions- the overhead is minimal enough (COMPARED TO PREVIOUS EMULATORS OF DIFFERENT CONSOLES) So yea we will be seeing 120hz versions of every PS4 game.

Technology is great innit?
and considering homebrew has existed for a while now, they had plenty of time to reverse-engineer the PS4's APIs.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I can successfully report getting in-game and playing at 60 FPS. My rig is putting in work, though. I just managed this a little while ago, by downloading a specific build of the emu. Otherwise, I can only hit start new game before a crash. This is without any mods, modules or fixes/patches. This is nuts... I've seen the game looking almost like it would on a PS4, on a few videos,minus some effects and sounds.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Last edited:

Dorago

This is very impressive as a few weeks ago they were just in game.

The technical trickery reminds me of the people who were running DX12 draw calls on a Win10 VM while running the game in Linux.

By next year BB and should be fully playable.

MiguelItUp

I absolutely love the speed in which things are moving, it's insane. It already felt fast, but it's definitely picking up steam, holy crap. It's already looking so good!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I absolutely love the speed in which things are moving, it's insane. It already felt fast, but it's definitely picking up steam, holy crap. It's already looking so good!
They've gone from barely launching the game to what we see in that video in the span of what, a month?

Shit's crazy, the people working on this must be super talented.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
New video, looking better and quite close to how it should.

They show some bosses from 3:30 onwards so skip that part if you haven't played the game.

this is just crazy. IDK whether to give praise to the PS4 devs for making the system unintentionally super easy to emulate or give praise to the ShadPS4 guys for getting everything running as quickly as they did. This is some of the fastest progress i've seen of any emulator period.

There's been more advancement shown for PS4 emulation in 2 weeks then there has been N64 emulation in 20 years

SNG32

this is just crazy. IDK whether to give praise to the PS4 devs for making the system unintentionally super easy to emulate or give praise to the ShadPS4 guys for getting everything running as quickly as they did. This is some of the fastest progress i've seen of any emulator period.

There's been more advancement shown for PS4 emulation in 2 weeks then there has been N64 emulation in 20 years
And I think this is due to the fact the PS4 is technically PC architecture. This is way different than developing a PS3 emulator remember developers had a hard time making games for the PS3 because the architecture and coding was complex. There were a lot of shitty ps3 ports. The PS4 might have been Sonys easiest console to develop games for.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
BOTHERED to act.
Sony watching the only reason to buy a PS4 slowly drift away from their hands:

0*ZjYSm_q36J4KChdn

I don't get how you can see something like this, the lengths people go to make this happen, and just think "IDRC."

If Hermen Hulst was replaced by someone sensible there'd be calls from all over the company to get a PC port/ PS5 remaster of Bloodborne up and running for the holidays. Instead they're out here banking on Concord, Fairgame$ and Marathon as their next "big hitters" when the literal least amount of effort put into prettying up an old game will get them infinitely more cash and respect. Especially now with Souls basically going mainstream thanks to Elden Ring.

john2gr

Path Tracing?

I call bullsh*t on this one. It seems to be Reshade and not real Path Tracing. He says it's a "mod" but I've never seen a mod for a WIP emulator that adds Path Tracing (like the Path Tracing mods we have for Doom or Half-Life). And then in the comments he says that he also used Ray Tracing Reshade. Why? If you have Path Tracing, you don't need Ray Tracing. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

Last edited:

Utherellus

Crazy advancements. Can't wait to play Driveclub again.

Absolutely. I naively purchased it on PSN when I owned PS4 but input lag and 30fps on a TV was such an underwhelming experience.

Can't wait to try it at 60fps, or even 120 if emulator progresses well enough.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I call bullsh*t on this one. It seems to be Reshade and not real Path Tracing. He says it's a "mod" but I've never seen a mod for a WIP emulator that adds Path Tracing (like the Path Tracing mods we have for Doom or Half-Life). And then in the comments he says that he also used Ray Tracing Reshade. Why? If you have Path Tracing, you don't need Ray Tracing. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.
I questioned it myself and didn't see much of a difference. The main difference I saw was his FPS tanked, lol. Other than that, the game world is looking more and more proper.
Edit: I also want to add, you can add mods to this emulator, it's how he's able to turn off CA and unlock the FPS, ETC.
Edit2: I think you need to add the mods through the game folder itself, in some instances. I haven't tried mods, yet, myself.

Last edited:

john2gr

I questioned it myself and didn't see much of a difference. The main difference I saw was his FPS tanked, lol. Other than that, the game world is looking more and more proper.
Edit: I also want to add, you can add mods to this emulator, it's how he's able to turn off CA and unlock the FPS, ETC.
Edit2: I think you need to add the mods through the game folder itself, in some instances. I haven't tried mods, yet, myself.

Here are the mods he used. It's Complete RT Reshade (which is screen-space RTGI Reshade). That's the one that tanks performance. He does not use any Path Tracing Mods. If he was running Path Tracing AND Reshade Ray Tracing, he'd be getting 5fps on the RTX 4070.

GV6Yc6JWgAAPOIw

Top Bottom