• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

myco666

Guys.

I've been taking a blind approach to TOH. What's this I hear about having to be at a certain point in the story to access it? All of my saves are in the endgame, post wet nurse. Do I need to go into NG+ for this?

I haven't seen anything about this but I would people mean that you need to be past a certain point in order to access like in Souls games. Don't think that you will be locked out if you are at the end game.

Haven't got the hang of its nuisances (weapon transformations, gun parry etc.) but I can see how it works.

"Nuisances"? Nuances? :)

Uhhh, too late I guess. Credits.

I'm certain I didn't get the "good" or "best" ending, I definitely missed some things and I know I have key items in my inventory that didn't come into play. But that's cool. I'll definitely play through NG+ and use guides and such, somewhere down the line.

Absolute masterpiece. Certainly, in my opinion the best product From Software has created. While each "Bloodsouls" game has its strengths and weaknesses, Bloodborne really feels like the strongest overall package, and I don't even think it's that close. Just a massively realized vision from start to finish, no filler I can think of, just filled to the brim with memorable moments, characters, and bosses.

Here's that Ebrietas kill, almost went very differently at the last second actually, hah.

edit: Got G. on my second try- but I'm think that, just like Gwyn, he was ridiculously suited to my playstyle. I think I visceraled 5 or 6 times, lol. Seemed like he'd be tough otherwise.

Hey man! :)
The thing with BB is that it has a crazy percentage of optional content. Some is not hidden at all (and bypassing it is harder than seeing it), but other stuff is kind of less obvious. You already got the one I missed (Upper Cathedral). Did you visit Cainhurst?

I kind of agree it may be the best Soulborne game. I only doubt because I'm madly in love with Dark Souls and I think it still tops it in term of sheer variety of locales. But Bloodborne's gameplay is so ridiculously tight and polished you can see your reflection on it. It's frankly sugar for your hands. And I agree it simply has no lows, which is amazing.

Cool Ebrietas fight! You got her to half health taking no damage yourself! This might be the boss I'm most looking forward to replaying against with my alts, as I was too high leveled (missed the Upper Cathedral key until the endgame) and curbstomped her.

Edit: Since I killed Ebrietas by sticking close to her I never saw that beam spam attack. It's so cool with that swirly minigalaxy and the stars floating for a second before shooting towards you. Daughter of the Cosmos indeed. :)

Guys.

I've been taking a blind approach to TOH. What's this I hear about having to be at a certain point in the story to access it? All of my saves are in the endgame, post wet nurse. Do I need to go into NG+ for this?

Normally in Souls games you need to have reached some point to be able to go into the DLC (it was about half game for DS1). Any character from that point up to the end should be fair play, although the first few bosses in the DLC might be a bit easy if you're at the end. In DS the bosses in the DLC were progressively tuned level-wise from the point you could enter it to about vanilla endgame, so to maximize enjoyment you would switch back and forth between it and the main game.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ah man, you know what would be hilarious? If the only way you can acess TOH was with the Yharnam stone. haha that would literally be the worst.

I haven't seen anything about this but I would people mean that you need to be past a certain point in order to access like in Souls games. Don't think that you will be locked out if you are at the end game.

Normally in Souls games you need to have reached some point to be able to go into the DLC (it was about half game for DS1). Any character from that point up to the end should be fair play, although the first few bosses in the DLC might be a bit easy if you're at the end. In DS the bosses in the DLC were progressively tuned level-wise from the point you could enter it to about vanilla endgame, so to maximize enjoyment you would switch back and forth between it and the main game.
Ah ok. Thanks. Yeah I remember how it worked for Artorias of the Abyss. I fell into the hydra lake a couple of times :p

The reason why I asked is that some people in the DLC announcement thread were mentioning a point of no return (perhaps to do with
Gehrman being hostile at the very end
?) and I got a little nervous.

Ah ok. Thanks. Yeah I remember how it worked for Artorias of the Abyss. I fell into the hydra lake a couple of times :p

The reason why I asked is that some people in the DLC announcement thread were mentioning a point of no return (perhaps to do with
Gehrman being hostile at the very end
?) and I got a little nervous.

Calling that one a point of no return is a bit of a misnomer, considering the only things that change is the Hunter's Dream being
visually on fire
, and
Gehrman
waiting for you in a previously locked area. A much more prominent point of no return is killing Rom, considering how many things change including being unable to rescue any more NPCs, etc.

Daughter of the Cosmos is a jerk. Though watching a couple videos today has given me ideas when I get home. I guess after her I'll leap into Amgydala. Then go further into the Nightmare. When should I stop? I am already chopping up the little knight guys after unlocking the shortcut behind that Hunter.

I don't want to redo this all before November.

Just started this yesterday to take a wee break from MGSV and... wow, I lost 3 hours. Absolutely superb. Not far in (uncovered the first shortcut) but I got the same old 'Souls' feeling of terrifying trepidation and insatiable curiosity. I played the old games without shields for the most part, so the combat system really suits my playstyle. Haven't got the hang of its nuisances (weapon transformations, gun parry etc.) but I can see how it works.

Too early to call but this may be the best 'Souls-like' yet.

My man! I'm in the latter probably 2 or 3 hours, but I'm going to hang back and do some side content. I love it. It edged into my top 5 GOAT. Now to go backwards and clear out the older Souls games...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sooo...have you done any chalice dungeons?
A handful yeah. Frankly, I didn't find them all that stimulating ;_; I wish I could just fight all the bosses that only exist within them in like a boss rush mode or something.

I did kill the Watchdog of the Old Lords on my second try which I'd heard was a really tough one for people. I also didn't have any trouble with Vicar Amelia which tends to be a sticking point- the threaded cane is really well suited to the fight. That goddamn hunter, I had to retry sooooooo many times. His gun could kill me in one shot from anything lower than full health.

Hey man! :)
The thing with BB is that it has a crazy percentage of optional content. Some is not hidden at all (and bypassing it is harder than seeing it), but other stuff is kind of less obvious. You already got the one I missed (Upper Cathedral). Did you visit Cainhurst?
Hey hey. :) The optional stuff is definitely great, yeah. I couldn't believe it when I learned that all of Old Yharnam was optional, I spent so much time there. Blew my mind.

And yeah, I CRUSHED Cainhurst, fantastic area. Here's my Logarius fight, the only boss in the game I killed with the cane solely in cane mode (struggled against him using a whip). The first enemy you come across there too, holy hell, what an absolutely nightmarish design in every way. Even after farming them 100 times they can still intimidate and even kill me sometimes.
I kind of agree it may be the best Soulborne game. I only doubt because I'm madly in love with Dark Souls and I think it still tops it in term of sheer variety of locales. But Bloodborne's gameplay is so ridiculously tight and polished you can see your reflection on it. It's frankly sugar for your hands. And I agree it simply has no lows, which is amazing.
I could definitely see saying that Dark Souls has the best world and level design, especially all the "no way" moments connecting back to Firelink. I love it like crazy too obviously. BB just blows my mind in terms of consistency. Like, I struggle to think of what the "lesser parts" are supposed to be. Even the bosses that weren't all that special in terms of the fights themselves were really cool thematically or in terms of the setting (Micolash was so unexpected!).

You got her to half health taking no damage yourself!
After many many many attempts learning all her moves, lol.

Manu

I did kill the Watchdog of the Old Lords on my second try which I'd heard was a really tough one for people. I also didn't have any trouble with Vicar Amelia which tends to be a sticking point- the threaded cane is really well suited to the fight. That goddamn hunter, I had to retry sooooooo many times. His gun could kill me in one shot from anything lower than full health.

Was that the Watchdog on the Defiled chalice? Watchdog is one of those bosses that popup three or four times in the dungeons.

This bastard with the gun on the clocktower, can I push him off or something? I'm having a tough time going toe-to-toe.
I remember reading there's something about wearing a certain outfit to de-aggro him, but I don't think I have it yet

Also the Cleric Beast fight is awful. I knew this before even going in to it, but if you lock on it just becomes a shitshow with the camera. There are other moments like this in Souls, but this is one of the worst I can remember. I left the fight and will come back when I've upgraded my weapon and the fight doesn't take so long.

Still not leveling up. I don't think this will be a "SL1" run, but I'll go as long as I can without leveling.

silva1991

oh ffs. electricity cut off while playing and now save files of over 400 hour playing is gone!

oh God I was so close of fighting Gehrman on my sl1 run.

He usually falls down by himself.
Really? Do you mean from him jumping around whilst you're up there, or randomly when you're on the ground? When I get to the top of the ladder it seems scripted that he turns around because I can tilt the camera up and stay out of sight forever, but as soon as I take that last rung up but am still 'out of sight' (i.e. lower than roof level) he turns around waiting for me.

At one point I had him right on the edge and was wailing on him, mashing R1 and it seemed like there was an invisible wall because he didn't fall down so I just backed off.

My dude has the most girlish scream too and he's 'mature'!

Tactics18

Just beat
Gehrman
on my level 4 run. Definitely harder than
Ebrietas
Will wait for the DLC before I'll finish the run with
Moon Presence

Giever

Really? Do you mean from him jumping around whilst you're up there, or randomly when you're on the ground? When I get to the top of the ladder it seems scripted that he turns around because I can tilt the camera up and stay out of sight forever, but as soon as I take that last rung up but am still 'out of sight' (i.e. lower than roof level) he turns around waiting for me.

At one point I had him right on the edge and was wailing on him, mashing R1 and it seemed like there was an invisible wall because he didn't fall down so I just backed off.

My dude has the most girlish scream too and he's 'mature'!

If you keep shooting him as soon as you climb the ladder you ought to be able to just knock him off right then

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to blame predicative text rather than my poor grandma.

Hahaha

Really? Do you mean from him jumping around whilst you're up there, or randomly when you're on the ground?

Sometimes he'll fall from over-zealous dodging.

If you're having trouble, you can leave him,
come back later from another route and even befriend him.
Although if you kill him now you get his badge, which gives you access to extra purchase options at the Messenger Bath.

A handful yeah. Frankly, I didn't find them all that stimulating ;_; I wish I could just fight all the bosses that only exist within them in like a boss rush mode or something.

I could definitely see saying that Dark Souls has the best world and level design, especially all the "no way" moments connecting back to Firelink. I love it like crazy too obviously. BB just blows my mind in terms of consistency. Like, I struggle to think of what the "lesser parts" are supposed to be. Even the bosses that weren't all that special in terms of the fights themselves were really cool thematically or in terms of the setting (Micolash was so unexpected!).

After many many many attempts learning all her moves, lol.
But there are some good bosses in there. One of the toughest in the entire game lurks within the dungeon of beasts. If you've only done a handful of chalices then I don't think you've gotten to the Defiled chalice, which is where the "hard" version of the Watchdog lies. But anyway, it's good to see you enjoy this game( DestinyGaf shoutout!) as much as I have.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My man! I'm in the latter probably 2 or 3 hours, but I'm going to hang back and do some side content. I love it. It edged into my top 5 GOAT. Now to go backwards and clear out the older Souls games...

Shery baby!

Yeah, not played much at all myself but really impressed. I only managed to get the (I presume) first shortcut open but it took ages. Need to get the Threaded Pimp Cane combos and visceral attacks under my fingers a bit, then I'll be laughing.

Felt guilty leaving MGSV, so I'll wait till I finish that before getting proper stuck in.

Sometimes he'll fall from over-zealous dodging.

If you're having trouble, you can leave him,
come back later from another route and even befriend him.
Although if you kill him now you get his badge, which gives you access to extra purchase options at the Messenger Bath.

If you keep shooting him as soon as you climb the ladder you ought to be able to just knock him off right then

Cool thanks. I actually noticed I missed a path, so I need to go and explore that first, then I'll deal with the little shit.

Grinded about 63,000 echoes last night to get the Chikage and Logarius' Wheel, then grinded another 60,000 to level my blood tinge high enough to use the damn Chikage. Oh my Cosmos. This silly sword is all I ever want to use now.

Also the Cleric Beast fight is awful. I knew this before even going in to it, but if you lock on it just becomes a shitshow with the camera.

I don't think you're supposed to use the lock on at all times, and larger (or worse, flying) bosses are the ones where you shouldn't. Particularly because it locks on to their mass center which usually isn't the best way to attack them, hitting them on the face or hands usually makes fights much easier, especially for those of them that get staggered.

For some reason they clicked a bit more with me later on (circa layer 3). The first ones are probably the most boring.

Hey hey. :) The optional stuff is definitely great, yeah. I couldn't believe it when I learned that all of Old Yharnam was optional, I spent so much time there. Blew my mind.

And yeah, I CRUSHED Cainhurst, fantastic area. Here's my Logarius fight, the only boss in the game I killed with the cane solely in cane mode (struggled against him using a whip). The first enemy you come across there too, holy hell, what an absolutely nightmarish design in every way. Even after farming them 100 times they can still intimidate and even kill me sometimes.

Yep, probably the single most terrifying normal enemies in the whole of Bloodborne. They even use them as a visceral attack deterrant on later Chalice Dungeons (if you kill enemies with a visceral attack, next time you come back there'll be one of them licking the blood off the floor), and it's telling that the thought actually gives pause before using viscerals. Nightmare fuel in both appearance and challenge.

If you did Cairnhurst and Upper Cathedral I guess that's it for major optional places. It's funny how Old Yharnam is technically optional but I doubt anyone actually skipped it the first time they played, since it's so much easier to find than the actual path to progress.

Micolash was something else indeed, and yeah, no one boss felt uninteresting or filler. Hell, no one zone did. I guess that's why I jumped into NG+ and alts immediately after finishing it, there's no zone that I dread revisiting.

Grinded about 63,000 echoes last night to get the Chikage and Logarius' Wheel, then grinded another 60,000 to level my blood tinge high enough to use the damn Chikage. Oh my Cosmos. This silly sword is all I ever want to use now.
That transform attack is the best way to start a battle, it's one of my favorites in the game.

That transform attack is the best way to start a battle, it's one of my favorites in the game.

It causes fast poisoning, right? Also, the name is so clever.

Chikage (千景) literally means "Thousands Views", however if you separated the word into Chi Kage (血影), it means "Blood Shadow".

Shall we find elevation by eye or blood, old friend?

Chikage (千景) literally means "Thousands Views", however if you separated the word into Chi Kage (血影), it means "Blood Shadow".

From what I've heard it can, don't think I've seen it actually happen since a good amount of enemies in the game can't be poisoned. The main thing about Chikage is that the transformed mode gets a damage bonus from the bloodtinge stat and it hits pretty god damn hard actually. I love it for the Ruroni Kenshin move set. My second hunter has red hair so I'm mentally just going "hiten mitsurugi..."

squidyj

I finally got around to watching the trailer for The Old Hunters.

New Weapons look great except for maybe the bow. I don't know if I want to be rocking a bow in this game, it seems very slow.

The chain curved sword and that hammer look particularly sweet.

That's neat! My below-beginner level Japanese was enough to get the "blood shadow" meaning, but not the other. :)

SoldnerKei

From what I've heard it can, don't think I've seen it actually happen since a good amount of enemies in the game can't be poisoned. The main thing about Chikage is that the transformed mode gets a damage bonus from the bloodtinge stat and it hits pretty god damn hard actually. I love it for the Ruroni Kenshin move set. My second hunter has red hair so I'm mentally just going "hiten mitsurugi..."

that ain't a reverse-blade thou P:
but now it seems like I have a good reason to try out the Chikage haha

I would love if you could cut enemies with those weapons thou, getting some beasts cut in half would look pretty wicked

Melchiah

I decided to start a 3rd playthrough with a new character, partly for the upcoming expansion, and partly because a friend of mine just started playing the game, which made me want to experience the game anew as well.

I went through all of Central Yharnam, and beat CB and FG without dying once, although both of the fights had few close calls. The past playthroughs certainly made a difference, compared to how I struggled the first time. FG is still intimidating to me though, perhaps because the feeling of dread when I faced him the first time still lingers.

Videos of the fights:
CB at level 10 - https://youtu.be/DdCFId1QO3o
FG at level 17 - https://youtu.be/AaqgdS4WFm0

Still sticking with the Threaded Cane. It fits the mature teacher character I created, and I just love to swing it.

that ain't a reverse-blade thou P:
but now it seems like I have a good reason to try out the Chikage haha

I would love if you could cut enemies with those weapons thou, getting some beasts cut in half would look pretty wicked
Yeah being able to cut off parts would be fucking insane in this game, though knowing Bloodborne they'd just turn into sickles and either keep cutting you or the limbs would just crawl along the floor and either attack you or reattach themselves. Would kill for a Gattotsu thrusting attack.

Videos of the fights:

Still sticking with the Threaded Cane. It fits the mature teacher character I created, and I just love to swing it.

That Gascoine fight was just beautiful. Such perfect dodging during his beast phase, damn. I didn't even know you could parry him, at that point I usually just spam molotovs. I also never thought of taking the fight upstairs for the last stage, which is obviously the smart thing to do considering tombstones no longer protect but rather hinder you. I learned a lot from that video, thanks!

My Arcane/Skill character is also an old professor, you can make them quite cool in this game. He's barely a few hours in, I've got to play a bit more, especially considering today's reveal that the Bowblade is Arcane/Skill. :)

That's neat! My below-beginner level Japanese was enough to get the "blood shadow" meaning, but not the other. :)

I'm impressed! I love the language and have always been fascinated culture. Visiting the country is definitely on my bucket list.

I love how flowery the language is and how all words and names mean something.

Melchiah

That Gascoine fight was just beautiful. Such perfect dodging during his beast phase, damn. I didn't even know you could parry him, at that point I usually just spam molotovs. I also never thought of taking the fight upstairs for the last stage, which is obviously the smart thing to do considering tombstones no longer protect but rather hinder you. I learned a lot from that video, thanks!

My Arcane/Skill character is also an old professor, you can make them quite cool in this game. He's barely a few hours in, I've got to play a bit more, especially considering today's reveal that the Bowblade is Arcane/Skill. :)

Thanks, but I think I got lucky with some of the dodges. =) I also used molotovs for the 3rd phase on my first playthrough, but later on I learned (possibly from here) that parrying works very well against him. Nice to know I could help someone else in turn.

Here's a pic of the old lady teacher, who replaced the girl I started with.
bloodborne_2015091721caucz.jpg
I used mostly the presets, as I didn't want to use too much time on the creating process.

Oh, the Bowblade is arcane. Damn, I thought I'd leave that stat unlevelled once again, might have to change my plans. Thanks for the heads up.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fuck yeah old ladies! They are never ever game protagonists, so I always make at least one of those in Souls games now.
I had an old druidess/pagan priestess type as my hexer in Dark Souls 2 (thinking of remaking her in Scholar, even), and I have a large build* middle-aged brown-skinned woman (like a sort of aging amazon) as my strength-focused character in Bloodborne. Here she is:

* Too bad the character creator doesn't really show much difference, Dragon's Dogma is better for that.

Melchiah

Fuck yeah old ladies! They are never ever game protagonists, so I always make at least one of those in Souls games now.
I had an old druidess/pagan priestess type as my hexer in Dark Souls 2 (thinking of remaking her in Scholar, even), and I have a large build* middle-aged brown-skinned woman (like a sort of aging amazon) as my strength-focused character in Bloodborne. Here she is:

Kinda funny to see old ladies carrying huge axes and hammers. The cane is a good choice for the ladies, who want to hunt with style.

The mature characters also fit well the recent YouPorn statistics about PS4 users. ;)

I decided to start a 3rd playthrough with a new character, partly for the upcoming expansion, and partly because a friend of mine just started playing the game, which made me want to experience the game anew as well.

I went through all of Central Yharnam, and beat CB and FG without dying once, although both of the fights had few close calls. The past playthroughs certainly made a difference, compared to how I struggled the first time. FG is still intimidating to me though, perhaps because the feeling of dread when I faced him the first time still lingers.

Videos of the fights:

Damn Cleric Beast made you work for it. Oddly enough I never try to go hand to hand with Father G Doge. I usually just music box stun him now these days. Did him dirty when I beat him in NG+ with the Chikage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7XIGCTQb2g

oh ffs. electricity cut off while playing and now save files of over 400 hour playing is gone!

oh God I was so close of fighting Gehrman on my sl1 run.

I Know how that feels man... It happened to me too, i was more than half the way through the game and played a lot of chalice dungeons (sigh)... I had to restart everything.

Have you checked your cloud saves?

Kinda funny to see old ladies carrying huge axes and hammers. The cane is a good choice for the ladies, who want to hunt with style.

The mature characters also fit well the recent YouPorn statistics about PS4 users. ;)
I'm honestly surprised YouPorn is that popular. Makes me feel like I'm missing something. Finally perused that a bit, somebody needs to make a Bloodborne character that looks like Katsuni.

Heysoos

The chalice dungeons are pretty boring. I'm trying to get to
Yharnam queen
and I'm kind of hating every second of it haha. :| The dungeons themselves are not particularly hard, they're just boring and a huge drag. Most of the bosses so far have been fun, it's just a huge drag.

silva1991

I Know how that feels man... It happened to me too, i was more than half the way through the game and played a lot of chalice dungeons (sigh)... I had to restart everything.

Have you checked your cloud saves?

Dude! I just did and 99% of my playthrough are back! (the sl1 file didn't make it , but who cares?)

I didn't manually put the saves on the ps plus so I have know Idea what's going on

thanx man :D

Melchiah

Damn Cleric Beast made you work for it. Oddly enough I never try to go hand to hand with Father G Doge. I usually just music box stun him now these days. Did him dirty when I beat him in NG+ with the Chikage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7XIGCTQb2g

Yeah, there's probably a better way, but I've gotten used to using the whip form from a distance, and I missed him with few molotovs. I've never actually tried fighting him up-close like the other large beasts.

You really went aggressively against FG, and it worked well. I've only tried the music box once myself, and it didn't work very well then. I think it's more fun to fight the beast form hand to hand.

Oh my goodness...

She's an old warrior past her prime, but she can still rock that axe!

What the.... :|

I was referring to this amusing thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1112749
Playstation users have a slightly more pronounced mom fetish, with ‘mom’ and ‘milf’ nabbing the top two spots, followed by ‘step mom’ in at 9th place.

I'm honestly surprised YouPorn is that popular. Makes me feel like I'm missing something. Finally perused that a bit, somebody needs to make a Bloodborne character that looks like Katsuni.

I've never streamed that kind of stuff on a console either.

I'd like to see Dahlia from Silent Hill and Quistis from FFVIII in Bloodborne myself.

KlREOlL.png
DZ1WQTK.jpg

The latter would go well with the Threaded Cane.

Yeah, there's probably a better way, but I've gotten used to using the whip form from a distance, and I missed him with few molotovs. I've never actually tried fighting him up-close like the other large beasts.

You really went aggressively against FG, and it worked well. I've only tried the music box once myself, and it didn't work very well then. I think it's more fun to fight the beast form hand to hand.

I've never streamed that kind of stuff on a console either.

I'd like to see Dahlia from Silent Hill and Quistis from FFVIII in Bloodborne myself.

KlREOlL.png
DZ1WQTK.jpg

The latter would go well with the Threaded Cane.
A +10 Chikage will put down many NG+ bosses pretty well, the only ones that gave me a problem so far were Cleric Beast and Vicar Amelia, she handed me my ass so many times that I switched to the cane if I'm not mistaken, battle was fucking crazy when I finally put her ass down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLVav1frB3g
Dat Quistis Trepe she's one of my favorite Final Fantasy women and it seems like she gets no love at all, she'd love the cane, would probably strut into every battle with it.

Top Bottom