• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

myco666

DLC hits in just over a month...time to get back into this!

Are people planning on DLC during NG+ or completely new build?
Reckon it makes sense to at least play up to ROM and then wait to see what happens.

Going with new build since it has been awhile since I last played so might be little rusty. Probably going with pure Skill build so that I won't have sucky viscerals. Never used the Cane as main weapon either and I heard good things about it.

I'm back playing the GOTY, this time I want to finally get the last 2 trophies I'm missing for the platinum. one ending trophy and the "blood queen" whatever trophy.

I'm finishing a run with my third character and I'm doing a strength build.

had no idea that the cannon was nerfed to 12 bullets, RIP. I don't think it's really worth using now, at least not in pve. not sure if it still one-shots in pvp with bone OP marrow.
also I was planning to use the Logarius Wheel since it has S scaling in strength and I am using it but honestly I don't really like it, too slow. and correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this weapon better on arcane builds considering the second form gets some sort of arcane damage multiplier while draining hp? Seems like that for my strength build the L1 transformation has no usage, it actually makes it worse. :'(

maybe that the dlc will give my strength character some good weapons.

Cannon + BMA is till really good combo for bosses even after the nerf. Logarius Wheel has the highest damage output in the game even without Arcane. The transformed L1 is worthless though if you don't have Arcane and even then the health drain is insane. I personally like it the most out of current weapons and use it on my pure Strength char.

got the game a few days ago, never played much of Darksouls but i really enjoy this game.

finally managed to beat the Cleric boss which wasnt too hard.

Was just wondering, i see theres a new sword avaiable, is it just worth it upgrading my old weapon and gun for now? i still need to go through the sewers

myco666

got the game a few days ago, never played much of Darksouls but i really enjoy this game.

finally managed to beat the Cleric boss which wasnt too hard.

Was just wondering, i see theres a new sword avaiable, is it just worth it upgrading my old weapon and gun for now? i still need to go through the sewers

You can soon farm Shards easily so that you can get any weapon to +3 so feel free to upgrade your current weapons. Also you should try all weapons you can to see if you prefer the moveset more since there isn't that many weapons (around 15 melee IIRC).

Melchiah

DLC hits in just over a month...time to get back into this!

Are people planning on DLC during NG+ or completely new build?
Reckon it makes sense to at least play up to ROM and then wait to see what happens.

Both. First with a new build, then with the NG+ veteran. I played until Byrgenwerth with the new character, and the old one waits before the last boss. I imagine the latter will miss some of the changes the DLC brings. Hopefully there won't be anything crucial added pre-Byrgenwerth that I'd miss with the new one.

Melchiah

Has it been confirmed that Byrgenwerth is where we'll access the DLC? Or are people just assuming it because of that trapdoor there?

They said...
The Old Hunters will be accessible at some point in the first half of the game after a number of unnamed conditions have been met
...so it should be accessible at some point before Rom, considering she's the
fourth of eight mandatory bosses.
I just hope I haven't went too far from the exact point, if it's earlier than that.

myco666

They said...

...so it should be accessible at some point before Rom, considering she's the
fourth of eight mandatory bosses.
I just hope I haven't went too far from the exact point, if it's earlier than that.

Well actually
she is fifth of eight mandatory bosses
if we are talking about new game. It might be actually even earlier when you get access to it but didn't they also say that it would be scaled towards end game builds? Atleast I remember there being some article mentioning that.

neoemonk

Beat Rom last night. I was away from this game playing Destiny and Metal Gear but I want to finish before the DLC hits.

I've been experimenting with other weapons but I always come back to the threaded cane. The simplified stat system might be part of it. I'm running with 20 vit and 15 end and pumping the rest into skill and it seems to be working for me. Maybe after I finish I'll experiment with some of the other stats on a new character. Curious to see arcane builds or something around guns.

Melchiah

Well actually
she is fifth of eight mandatory bosses
if we are talking about new game. It might be actually even earlier when you get access to it but didn't they also say that it would be scaled towards end game builds? Atleast I remember there being some article mentioning that.

What other mandatory bosses there are before her, than
FG, VA and SoY
? You don't have to beat
CB or BSB
to proceed. I might very well be wrong, but I also assume the DLC will begin before or at the start of
the blood moon phase.

The full quote was...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1113997
The Old Hunters will be accessible at some point in the first half of the game after a number of unnamed conditions have been met, and it's said to offer a sizeable challenge. The demo on the show floor at Tokyo Game Show was de-fanged somewhat in order to be more approachable, with some of boss Ludwig's moves being removed. The final expansion, however, is said to be around the same difficulty as the latter half of Bloodborne's campaign - so it could present a nasty surprise to players who stumble upon it early on in the game.
...so yeah, it should be challenging for lower level builds, but not necessarily undoable. Wasn't the recommended level for Artorias around 60? I'm at that level just before Byrgenwerth, without farming and just clearing all the areas once. Newcomers probably wouldn't be as high without farming at that point though, due to losing more blood echoes along the way.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay then. Managed to drag myself away from MGSV SP and get some proper Bloodborne time in. Loving it! Best controlling Souls game by a wide margin.

Read very little about the game, just what the stats do (pretty similar to old Souls) and whether there was a katana (they're just better, okay?). Currently using the pistol and pimp cane.

Nice to have that ol' Souls trepidation back in my life. I've only opened up a few shortcuts in Central YahMan (sic) so far. I left the game in some kind of
sewer surrounded by terrible lanky things
. Not hit any bosses yet, but I imagine I'm due one soon. Can't wait to jump back in tonight... after some MGO, of course.

myco666

What other mandatory bosses there are before her, than
FG, VA and SoY
? You don't have to beat
CB or BSB
to proceed. I might very well be wrong, but I also assume the DLC will begin before or at the start of
the blood moon phase.

The full quote was...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1113997

...so yeah, it should be challenging for lower level builds, but not necessarily undoable. Wasn't the recommended level for Artorias around 60? I'm at that level just before Byrgenwerth, without farming and just clearing all the areas once. Newcomers probably wouldn't be as high without farming at that point though, due to losing more blood echoes along the way.

CB or BSB
is mandatory in order to progress.
CB gives you ability to buy Hunter Chief Emblem that opens the gate to Cathedral Ward Courtyard
and
BSB opens the path to UCW/Healing Workshop where you get to the courtyard.
No other way to proceed in the game.

Yeah 60 was the recommended level for Artorias DLC. I am usually around 40-50 at Byrgenwerth IIRC so it might be there. You also go to Nightmare Frontier around that time and the TOH trailer had envioroments that looked little bit similiar to the Nightmare areas. Don't think you can get there before beating Amelia.

Melchiah

CB or BSB
is mandatory in order to progress.
CB gives you ability to buy Hunter Chief Emblem that opens the gate to Cathedral Ward Courtyard
and
BSB opens the path to UCW/Healing Workshop where you get to the courtyard.
No other way to proceed in the game.

Yeah 60 was the recommended level for Artorias DLC. I am usually around 40-50 at Byrgenwerth IIRC so it might be there. You also go to Nightmare Frontier around that time and the TOH trailer had envioroments that looked little bit similiar to the Nightmare areas. Don't think you can get there before beating Amelia.

I completely forgot, that you could get HCE only that way. So, I might have gone past the halfway point then. Hopefully that won't lock me out of anything the DLC brings, like possible NPC questlines.

I'd be lower than 60, if I hadn't cleared NF before Byrgenwerth, but I just wanted to have that done with before the DLC, as it's not one of my favorite areas. It was a bit hard without sedatives though.

I'm guessing that you won't miss anything in the DLC just playing the main game, no matter how long you've proceeded. In the dark souls games there were just different areas you could enter at some point, as long as you didn't finish the game - nothing was tied to main game NPCs and similar, right?

I'm just up to Byrgenwerth on my pure skill character so thinking about starting a pure strength now. The first half of this game is just sooo good.

myco666

I completely forgot, that you could get HCE only that way. So, I might have gone past the halfway point then. Hopefully that won't lock me out of anything the DLC brings, like possible NPC questlines.

I'd be lower than 60, if I hadn't cleared NF before Byrgenwerth, but I just wanted to have that done with before the DLC, as it's not one of my favorite areas. It was a bit hard without sedatives though.

Well I would say that you are just little bit past or at the halfway point. Most likely you won't be locked out of anything but there is always the possibility considering the moon phases change alot of stuff. Luckily the game is so good that starting over is no problem.

I actually almost never use sedatives. If I get hit with frenzy I just down vials. Luckily there aren't that many places where you are guaranteed to get frenzy if you don't have sedatives.

I wish the Chalice Dungeons
didn't exist
were named better, it's difficult keeping track of what I've done and what I haven't.

If you have root version of the Chalice you most likely have done that Chalice since you usually get it from second boss.

Melchiah

I'm guessing that you won't miss anything in the DLC just playing the main game, no matter how long you've proceeded. In the dark souls games there were just different areas you could enter at some point, as long as you didn't finish the game - nothing was tied to main game NPCs and similar, right?

I'm just up to Byrgenwerth on my pure skill character so thinking about starting a pure strength now. The first half of this game is just sooo good.

That's good to know, and puts my mind at ease.

Yeah, I love Central and Old Yharnam, along with Cathedral Ward, as well.

EDIT:
Well I would say that you are just little bit past or at the halfway point. Most likely you won't be locked out of anything but there is always the possibility considering the moon phases change alot of stuff. Luckily the game is so good that starting over is no problem.

I actually almost never use sedatives. If I get hit with frenzy I just down vials. Luckily there aren't that many places where you are guaranteed to get frenzy if you don't have sedatives.

It's not that big of a problem, but I'd prefer to be able to begin the DLC from the optimal point, without needing to play through the beginning for the fourth time.

I did the exact same thing with antidotes against you-know-who, as using them just takes too much time.

Finalow

ok, done with the run on my 3rd character. only trophy left is the Queen one. anyone willing to help with the chalice dungeons?

I'd assume the higher the level the better, even if now co-op ''scales'' stats to the host's level I could level up my main to 150 or 200, if it makes things easier. I got a dex build on that character.

Cannon + BMA is till really good combo for bosses even after the nerf. Logarius Wheel has the highest damage output in the game even without Arcane. The transformed L1 is worthless though if you don't have Arcane and even then the health drain is insane. I personally like it the most out of current weapons and use it on my pure Strength char.
so Logarius Wheel at +10 and 50 strength is the way to go? Or maybe 40 strength and 20/30 arcane while getting less vitality.

edit/ correct me if I'm wrong, the progression to get to the last chalice is central > lower pthumeru chalice > defiled chalice > great pthumeru ihyll chalice?

myco666

It's not that big of a problem, but I'd prefer to be able to begin the DLC from the optimal point, without needing to play through the beginning for the fourth time.

I understand. This is why I am starting once the DLC is out.

so Logarius Wheel at +10 and 50 strength is the way to go? Or maybe 40 strength and 20/30 arcane while getting less vitality.

edit/ correct me if I'm wrong, the progression to get to the last chalice is central > lower pthumeru chalice > defiled chalice > great pthumeru ihyll chalice?

I have LW +10 and 50 Strength build and it works really well. Arcane is at what is required for LW. You can try Arcane out but I have no idea if it is worth it.

Yeah that is the progression with Chalices. You need to get some materials from other chalices and Arcane Haze Extractor makes some material grind easier.

AEREC

Just started NG++ (3rd Playthrough) and the jump from NG+ to NG++ wasn't as hard as it was to NG+.

Cleric Boss was still easy but Father Casgione took me a few tries...Ive still died to mobs if I get caught off guard or ganged up on, but not too much.

Currently at 148 with the stats at:

Vit 50
End 40
Str 35
Skill 33
Blood 20
Arcane 20

I think Ill level up Skill to 35 so all my stats are at a even number, even though str and skill are odd numbers =p

And my level will be 150...any higher and I feel like the expansion may be trivial. But obviously I don't know for sure.

If I do stop at 150 and continue on to NG+++ (4th playthrought) does the difficulty increase again? Or is it pretty much leveled out now?

Are Chalice Dungeons necessary to platinum the game?

I've really had enough of them, and I'm not a trophy hunter but I do like to platinum the Souls games, so I'll do the Chalice Dungeons once for the trophy, but otherwise I think I've had enough of them - I'm sick of seeing the same rooms over and over.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I've really had enough of them, and I'm not a trophy hunter but I do like to platinum the Souls games, so I'll do the Chalice Dungeons once for the trophy, but otherwise I think I've had enough of them - I'm sick of seeing the same rooms over and over.
Yes.
The depths 4 and 5 chalices are more fun though 'cause they can get really brutal, so that makes them more tense and exciting even if the rooms are repetitive.

The bosses makes it worth it though. All of the bosses in the last couple of dungeons are amazing. The rest gets a bit grindy if you do them all at the same time (like I did) - I think they're meant to be spaced out more throughout a playthrough or two

Finalow

so, anyone wants to co-op the chalice dungeons I'm missing? :^

edit/ I'm only missing the defiled chalice and the last one.

rip gaf co-op

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So first boss
Father Gascoigne
scared the living crap outta me.
Looks like a normal enemy, moves like lightning

Great sense of escalation, much more so than previous Souls bosses. Took a few lives to realise I needed to
parry/shoot
him. Got the hang of that and had a good handle on him... then
he ups and turns into a massive whirling claw bastard
. After I changed my proverbial underwear, I managed to scrape through and beat the sumbitch.
I thought the arena you fight in was quite clever. You spend as much time fighting that as you do him. If it had been clear he probably would've been way too easy.

A little further down the road I'm mysteriously
lifted into the air and "frenzied"
. What's that about...?

Melchiah

The bosses makes it worth it though. All of the bosses in the last couple of dungeons are amazing. The rest gets a bit grindy if you do them all at the same time (like I did) - I think they're meant to be spaced out more throughout a playthrough or two

Yeah, I went through all but Defiled during and after the NG+ playthrough, which took about a month, and then did the rest a couple of months later, so I didn't grow tired of them.

AEREC

How far are you? Ive only done a handful of the Pthlemu? chalices and one Loran chalice. I think they've been great so far and they are starting to get challenging.

Ive seen some repetitive areas but I don't mind since the enemy layout is always different..I think.

How far are you? Ive only done a handful of the Pthlemu? chalices and one Loran chalice. I think they've been great so far and they are starting to get challenging.

Ive seen some repetitive areas but I don't mind since the enemy layout is always different..I think.
Ailing Loran and Hintertomb something or other were the last ones I did - the naming is so confusing, I've really no idea which Pthumeru ones I've done - Lower, Central, Root blah, blah, blah - there's more dungeons than tombstones, so how are you to know which you've done unless you keep a note?!

I'm sure I'll feel more neutral towards them once I'm done - but right now, Chalice Dungeons are one of the worst aspects of any Souls game and are right down there with the worst parts of DS2 for me - I don't think having all these cut and paste rooms and bosses does anything for the game whatsoever, it's overkill. Had they made an actual area called the Chalice Dungeon which relates to the story in the same way it would've been so much better imo.

Do you have the scythe? The range of that weapon made several of the hardest bosses in the Chalice Dungeons super easy for me when I was getting my platinum.
Just the trusty Saw Cleaver here, don't think I've come across a scythe yet, and all I have left to do are Gerhman and the final boss.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hintertomb and root dungeons are optional. The root ones are randomly generated, the non-root ones are the same fo reveryone.
The only chalice dungeons you need for the trophy is as follows:

- Pthumeru (depth 1)
- Central Pthumeru (depth 2)
- Lower Pthumeru (depth 3)
- Ailing Loran (depth 4)
- Defiled Pthumeru (depth 4,
half-HP
since it's "cursed")
- Pthumeru Ihyll (depth 5)

If you do all of these and explore all of the side doors, you should have enough ritual materials to go through all of these dungeons without farming. Hintertomb, Isz and root dungeons are all optional. Isz is kinda cool though, the reskinned tileset
and more alien-oriented enemy placement
looks cool.

Also, despite being depth 5, Ihyll is easier than Defiled because of the
HP penalty in Defiled
so once you've completed the Defiled dungeon you have done the hardest part. Though the second boss of Ihyll,
Headless Blood-letting Beast
, isn't trivial.

Melchiah

Finally acquired the Ring of Betrothal. Hopefully there's some added use for it in the expansion. Also found a non-cursed 21% physical attack gem from the same fetid Ihyll root chalice.

AEREC

Just found out insight affects difficulty...this is after I raised it to 99 with some of the madmen items I ve acquired over 3 playthroughs.

Also, despite being depth 5, Ihyll is easier than Defiled because of the
HP penalty in Defiled
so once you've completed the Defiled dungeon you have done the hardest part. Though the second boss of Ihyll,
Headless Blood-letting Beast
, isn't trivial.
Thanks for the explanation, I'm in Defiled Pthemeru now and got to the Watchdog and I think this is where I probably bow out of the Chalice Dungeons. I've no desire to bang my head against a wall with them, and getting one shot by a boss I've already beat at least 2 maybe 3 times already is just stupid. These Chalice Dungeons have crossed the line from fun challenge to stupid challenge for me in the same way that Horsefuck Valley did in DS2.

I'm going to wrap up the main game and get the DLC when it's out, but I'm already itching to get back to DS1, Yarnham was a fun vacation but Lordran feels like home.

Giever

Just found out insight affects difficulty...this is after I raised it to 99 with some of the madmen items I ve acquired over 3 playthroughs.

It hardly does at all. At 15 Insight, some Cathedral Ward enemies use new attacks. Also at 15 some new enemies will spawn in Hemwick Charnel Lane, but only after beating Vicar and learning the password.

More Insight also decreases Frenzy resistance.

That's actually the extent of the difficulty increases. In other words, pretty much nothing outside of being more susceptible to Frenzy.

myco666

fucking defiled amygdala

We've all been there. Just stay calm and don't ever ever get greedy. If you are certain you can get a hit in go for it but if you have any doubts stay back. Here is my strategy for the fight. The method in third phase is slow but it is by far safest thing to do.

RiggyRob

It hardly does at all. At 15 Insight, some Cathedral Ward enemies use new attacks. Also at 15 some new enemies will spawn in Hemwick Charnel Lane, but only after beating Vicar and learning the password.

That's actually the extent of the difficulty increases. In other words, pretty much nothing outside of being more susceptible to Frenzy.

Does having more Insight unlock more items at the Insight shop?

Melchiah

I've been going my third playthrough with +15 insight, and I've noticed a couple of other differences as well. I was surprised to see the Large Huntsman
charging at me
and the Snake Parasite
using a tendril attack.

Is there a big difference between starting classes when it comes to disovery? I just started a lone survivor class for an attempt at bloodtinge build and I got zero drops from the mobs in central yharnam. I mean like 1 drop in like 20-30 kills. Gunners and brick troll still gave 100% drops though, but absolutely nothing else.

silva1991

Is there a big difference between starting classes when it comes to disovery? I just started a lone survivor class for an attempt at bloodtinge build and I got zero drops from the mobs in central yharnam. I mean like 1 drop in like 20-30 kills. Gunners and brick troll still gave 100% drops though, but absolutely nothing else.

I think the higher the arcane is the more items are dropped. is your arcane very low?

Melchiah

The mob don't drop stuff that much. Sometimes I get few blood vials from killing them, mostly from the one with a wooden shield in the upper section, but that's it.

We've all been there. Just stay calm and don't ever ever get greedy. If you are certain you can get a hit in go for it but if you have any doubts stay back. Here is my strategy for the fight. The method in third phase is slow but it is by far safest thing to do.

Nice fight.

A way to make the fight easy (if you have a weapon with reach) is to hit the tail to bait the leap attack, then immediately start charging an attack, aiming and releasing towards its head when it lands, then rolling through the legs to bait another attack. I didn't get hit on the leaping attack if I just stayed in the same spot (not my strategy, I think it was on the wiki page).

I think the higher the arcane is the more items are dropped. is your arcane very low?

Oh, didn't know that. Arcane is at 7, base stat.

The mob don't drop stuff that much. Sometimes I get few blood vials from killing them, mostly from the one with a wooden shield in the upper section, but that's it.

I thought I usually I get a few vials and stuff at least. I just went through the whole area up till FG and got no drops from mobs, but perhaps my memory is just failing me and it's not as common as I think.

Asd202

Hey guys I have a question regarding the new DLC. I've started Bloodborne about 2 weeks ago and I've just defeated
Rom that ugly motherfucker
so my question is should I put the game on hold until the DLC will come out or finish the game? I'm asking beacuse a lot of people are sour that they started NG+ and won't be able to access DLC right away. Please no story spoilers :)

Top Bottom