• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

myco666

i've been out of the bloodborne loop for a little while, but now that the dlc is coming up (forgive me if this has been asked 100 times), do we have ANY idea where or when the dlc is in the game? i want to prepare before it comes out so i'm not stuck buying the dlc and then realizing i'm 25 hours away from it lol

with dark souls 1 it was easier because the pc version came out before hand, so i knew what to do

Nothing certain. It should be around halfway point meaning probably Forbidden Woods / Rom. The game is short though so you should be able to unlock the DLC within few hours of playing.

wiibomb

this is weird, yesterday before fighting
Rom
I entered a place that said to be Byrgenwerth, isn't that Byergenwerth? you are saying the DLC is there, but then again the only other place there was the big lake.

excuse my ignorance, I think I might be missing something

myco666

Rom
I entered a place that said to be Byrgenwerth, isn't that Byergenwerth? you are saying the DLC is there, but then again the only other place there was the big lake.

Well the location is still a big question mark but what is almost certain that you gain access to the DLC area around that time since it is around halfway point of the game.

Melchiah

Rom

This is what the DLC info says:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/bloodborne-ps4/the-old-hunters-dlc/
Experience the nightmare of the hunters who once guarded Byrgenwerth’s deepest, darkest secrets and uncover the mystery behind Yharnam’s sinister past and in The Old Hunters expansion DLC for Bloodborne™.

Many have also speculated, that the trapdoor there might lead to the DLC.

wiibomb

Well the location is still a big question mark but what is almost certain that you gain access to the DLC area around that time since it is around halfway point of the game.

oh wow, I thought this was about late game already.. well, I'm glad, don't want this to finish anytime soon :p

This is what the DLC info says:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/bloodborne-ps4/the-old-hunters-dlc/

Many have also speculated, that the trapdoor there might lead to the DLC.

may be but I still don't see where one could enter from there.. in other souls games did they just add a door/entrance that wasn't there on the vanilla game?

myco666

oh wow, I thought this was about late game already.. well, I'm glad, don't want this to finish anytime soon :p

may be but I still don't see where one could enter from there.. in other souls games did they just add a door/entrance that wasn't there on the vanilla game?

It is around 2/3 really if you only count story related bosses but I would assume you still have bunch of optional stuff to do.

In DaS2 they actually patched in new areas to the vanilla game that had warp points to the DLC. DaS1 had a empty cave in vanilla version and warp point was added for DLC access in that cave.

Melchiah

The trapdoor possibly, or perhaps the Eye of a Blood-Drunk Hunter opens a gateway, or calls a boat. We'll see.

wiibomb

The trapdoor possibly, or perhaps the Eye of a Blood-Drunk Hunter opens a gateway, or calls a boat. We'll see.

well a boat would be interesting and not as improvised as a warp or a sudden door since a simple boat would not break the established environment

I'm at 99 Insight. I assume that's the cap.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I get the feeling there are both positive (seeing more things) and negative things but I'm not entirely sure what.

IrishNinja

so back on this now, i'm level 107 and just reached Ailing Loran depth 2 - i'm hoping this nearby bear claw thing is the last weapon i need for that trophy, then it's just down to clearing out these dungeons (this one, defiled, isz and the finale yeah?) and back to the moon presence for the 3rd ending

feel kinda bad that ive been playing offline since my plus ran out, but i dunno how much id be missing it down in these depths? maybe i should pickup a 1 month code, not sure if it's worth it though

The more insight you have the less frenzy resistance you have.

it's not really a big deal.

oh wait, you're more susceptible to frenzy at high insight levels?

wiibomb

I just got some questions based on the above poster who said to have level 107.

is there a cap to the levels in this game? I know there is an cap per stat, but don't know if there is a point where I can't level up my character anymore.

what does Skill, arcana and bloodtinge stats really do? I've been leveling only my vitality, stamina and strength so far

what should I check when I get new armor? I'm seeing they are very different on stats but don't really know what should I focus when choosing

IrishNinja

^no cap that i know if, there usually is but it's pretty high most times

i look for defense stats, but to be honest there's a lot of em where the #'s aren't so terrible far off each other so sometimes it's aesthetics as well, haha

myco666

is there a cap to the levels in this game? I know there is an cap per stat, but don't know if there is a point where I can't level up my character anymore.

what does Skill, arcana and bloodtinge stats really do? I've been leveling only my vitality, stamina and strength so far

what should I check when I get new armor? I'm seeing they are very different on stats but don't really know what should I focus when choosing

Str,Skill,Arc and BT are all offensive stats and how these work in Souls series / BB is more about meeting weapon requirements than getting your damage up. Once you leveled up your weapon enough you start getting decent/good bonuses from your stats. You can check from your weapon what it scales to and you should only bump the stat your weapon of choice scales to.

edit.
As for armor you don't really need to check the stats as they are universally good. There are mild variations between them giving better resitances and you might want to change to those depending on situation. Otherwise just wear what looks the best.

silva1991

oh wait, you're more susceptible to frenzy at high insight levels?

Your frenzy meter gets smaller at high level insight yes.

but it shouldn't be a problem if you have armor/runes strong against frenzy + sedatives ;)

not sure about level caps.

as for arcane, skill, strength and bloodtinge they have to do with weapons scaling.

some weapons scale best with strength like the axe so if you want to to do so much damage then you should put more of points into strength.

the only armor statues that matter is the one with frenzy resistance in some areas.

other then the scaling I think the higher yor skill is the stronger your visceral attacks are, and the more arcane you have the more items are dropped from enemies.

As for armor you don't really need to check the stats as they are universally good. There are mild variations between them giving better resitances and you might want to change to those depending on situation. Otherwise just wear what looks the best.
Fashion Souls is a meta game in and of itself. It's not as intensive in Bloodborne due to no equip burden.

Unless you're planning on summoning a lot for co-op (which I think insight is the currency?), I don't think it really pays to carry a lot of insight all the time - I usually burn it at the insight store on goodies like bolt/fire paper etc.

It's kinda cool that it gives you little environmental extras, but when you spend it all at the insight store and you see the frenzy resist bar double, I always feel relieved. I know by the time I was in NG+ though and doing loads of chalice dungeons, it was just building up and I couldn't spend it fast enough - so I guess unless you're specifically in an area where there is a high chance of being frenzied, insight doesn't make any difference really, it's certainly not as impactful as humanity was in Dark Souls for instance.

IrishNinja

Once you leveled up your weapon enough you start getting decent/good bonuses from your stats. You can check from your weapon what it scales to and you should only bump the stat your weapon of choice scales to.

i forget - im using the saw blade thing on the game's cover, does that scale anything? ive just been tossing points into str or the other one here & there based on whichever gave more points that level, both are like high 30's

myco666

Fashion Souls is a meta game in and of itself. It's not as intensive in Bloodborne due to no equip burden.

Fashion Souls is the only way.

i forget - im using the saw blade thing on the game's cover, does that scale anything? ive just been tossing points into str or the other one here & there based on whichever gave more points that level, both are like high 30's

It has C-scaling for both skill and str IIRC. So having 20-30 in both should be good. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

silva1991

It has C-scaling for both skill and str IIRC. So having 20-30 in both should be good. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It has D scaling for str and E for skill so he should focus on str.

you are thinking of saw spear which has D scaling for str and skill.

IrishNinja

Str it is

what are ya'l doing to prep for next month's DLC, gonna NG+ or leave a save file towards the end of the game with the world all opened up?

Most likely just start a new character - It doesn't take long to get up to speed and I like to play it through to see how the DLC fits in within the larger whole.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Good stuff. I would use lock-on a lot less though with a big enemy like this, use it only for aiming throwables and dashing in/out. I find the roll easier to use for dodging up close.
ha! I never would have even noticed that. I guess I do play rather lock on heavy.

myco666

It has D scaling for str and E for skill so he should focus on str.

you are thinking of saw spear which has D scaling for str and skill.

Yeah it has been awhile. It doesn't even go to C/C when you upgrade it?

Str it is

what are ya'l doing to prep for next month's DLC, gonna NG+ or leave a save file towards the end of the game with the world all opened up?

Once the DLC drops I will start a new character. Haven't played this game in few months so need some practice before entering the DLC area.

The more insight you have the less frenzy resistance you have.

it's not really a big deal.

Oh, is that it? Yeah, no big deal at all.

Just made it to
Cainhurst Castle
. I get the sense that this a place that could be easily missed by a lot of people, looks like an add on rather than a place to progress the main game, which is a shame because, the little I've seen, it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Oh, is that it? Yeah, no big deal at all.

Just made it to
Cainhurst Castle
. I get the sense that this a place that could be easily missed by a lot of people, looks like an add on rather than a place to progress the main game, which is a shame because, the little I've seen, it looks absolutely gorgeous.
It's like a Castlevania game hidden in a Souls game, especially if you're using the threaded cane whip mode a lot.

NinjaBoiX

Seriously haven't got a clue where to go next. I went right from the cathedral ward lamp and up the tower but didn't have the key to get through the door. Help please!

I know that "half the fun is in the discovery" and all that jazz but fuck that, I'm not walking around aimlessly hoping to stumble upon progress.

myco666

Seriously haven't got a clue where to go next. I went right from the cathedral ward lamp and up the tower but didn't have the key to get through the door. Help please!

I know that "half the fun is in the discovery" and all that jazz but fuck that, I'm not walking around aimlessly hoping to stumble upon progress.

What bosses have you done?

NinjaBoiX

You need to fight Vicar Amelia and she is in the grand Cathedral. Just go up all the stairs and open te big door behind the two churchmen with the 'crosses'.
Huh, could've sworn I tried that and there didn't seem to be anywhere to go. OK, I'll have another look, thanks!

NinjaBoiX

Hah, it appears I didn't explore the area up the stairs at all, there's loads of shit here!
If you beat that wailing beast interact with the skull in the back of the cathedral to get a password.
Not sure what that is, but just killed the Npc invader with the lighting weapon.

Hah, it appears I didn't explore the area up the stairs at all, there's loads of shit here!

Not sure what that is, but just killed the Npc invader with the lighting weapon.
"Wailing Beast" would be Vicar Amelia. Did you see a woman praying when you went into the grand cathedral church?
Yeah I used them initially but changed to the Axe and LHB almost immediately.
I've only really used skill weapons in this game. I have yet to use the axe, kirkhammer or tonitrus.

The Flash

Banned
Now that I've beaten H5 on Legendary I can split my time between Bloodborne and Warzone until Fallout comes out. I think I shall pay the Vicar a visit tonight.

NinjaBoiX

"Wailing Beast" would be Vicar Amelia. Did you see a woman praying when you went into the grand cathedral church?
No, I got distracted going right, died at the hands of a tall old hobo, then got transported to this creepy place with a weird name.

This game is nuts...

No, I got distracted going right, died at the hands of a tall old hobo, then got transported to this creepy place with a weird name.

This game is nuts...
Oh god that place, yeah uber creepy. Either escape at the first lantern or learn the joys of getting one shotted by hobos.

RiggyRob

This game is nuts...

There's a lantern right above where you get sent to Hypogean Gaol when you're killed by a Snatcher (tall hobo) - the usual trick to killing Snatchers is to damage them a little bit so they start charging up to go into their second phase and then back stab them.

You have to watch out though, cause they can kill you in 2 hits no matter what part of the game you're in.

rtcn63

This game is nuts...

The snatchers sometimes drop twin blood stone shards, which can help greatly if you're having trouble with Amelia. Or just want to be stronger in general.

wiibomb

This game is nuts...

Oh god that place, yeah uber creepy. Either escape at the first lantern or learn the joys of getting one shotted by hobos.

There's a lantern right above where you get sent to Hypogean Gaol when you're killed by a Snatcher (tall hobo) - the usual trick to killing Snatchers is to damage them a little bit so they start charging up to go into their second phase and then back stab them.

You have to watch out though, cause they can kill you in 2 hits no matter what part of the game you're in.

to complement what they said, you need to go again in the same way down that place, you activated a part where if you die to that foe you trigger the entrance to Yahar'gul Unseen Village.

get out of there if you want to live, then go back the same place and go further, even if you die again you won't enter the village again

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, thanks guys, I fought through the whole area, lit the lantern then got killed by Paarl.

(Lost 30,000 souls, boo!)

I think I'll revisit this area later.

wiibomb

Yeah, thanks guys, I fought through the whole area, lit the lantern then got killed by Paarl.

(Lost 30,000 souls, boo!)

I think I'll revisit this area later.

now that you said that, after I fought
Rom
I entered
Yahar'gul
again but this time I don't know if
Paarl
was there, in fact I defeated yesterday
The One Reborn
but don't know if
Paarl
was there, mainly because in the way to
Paarl
there were 3 very tough hunters completely blocking my way to it.

is
Paarl
there to fight even with all these changes to
Yahar'gul
? I need some bolt paper

rtcn63

Rom
I entered
Yahar'gul
Paarl
The One Reborn
but don't know if
Paarl
Paarl

is
Paarl
Yahar'gul
? I need some bolt paper

Yes. And you can just go around the building with the three hunters. Although at this point, Paarl will be a cakewalk because of your levels. (I beat him post-Rom)

Rom
I entered
Yahar'gul
Paarl
The One Reborn
but don't know if
Paarl
Paarl

is
Paarl
Yahar'gul
? I need some bolt paper
He might still be there actually, I've never dealt with Paarl that late to be honest. I usually just deal with those hunters by separating them. First guy with his back turned, back stab, run, see if you can draw out the rest if they lose track of you they'll go back to the starting positions, run back, back stab him again and he should be dead. I usually run back out and fight them or one of them at the door where the lantern is, sometimes you can hit him through a wall there and even if you die you can still retrieve your echoes. Third one can be fought where he is in that bigger room, just manage the distance and make sure you're not too far away to get the cannon attack.

RiggyRob

I've got so much to do when I start playing again, I've got the story progression with
Rom
, the loose end with
Darkbeast Paarl
, the optional area of
Cainhurst Castle
and the other area that I would never have seen if I hadn't seen it on a YouTube video of
the Abandoned Old Hunter's Workshop

Bloodborne's easily my GOTY now and I didn't even really think I'd be enjoying it as much as I am.

Top Bottom