• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

The Flash

Banned
Beat Celestial Emissary and Amygdala on my first try.

Damn-it-feels-good.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
smh at this thread

no one excited for the best FromSoftware, Inc. historical weapon finally being put in the game with the dlc. maybe not much of a surprise if you think about it but still
Well, I didn't know about it until you spoiled it in this thread, as I have been avoiding the threads about the DLC 'cause I like discovering things on my own. So, thanks I guess, now it won't be a surprise anymore.

Guess I better leave this thread too. See y'all in November.

ramyeon

Man, I miss this game. Moved to another city a month or so ago and had to leave my PS4 behind. The expansion coming out soon is killing me. May have to get a TV for my new place and retrieve my PS4.

Persona7

Banned
I still don't understand why I can invade on Mergo's Loft Middle but pretty much nowhere else. I know it is because of the bell maiden thing in that specific area but I've spent hours and hours in other areas trying to invade.

The Flash

Banned
I still don't understand why I can invade on Mergo's Loft Middle but pretty much nowhere else. I know it is because of the bell maiden thing in that specific area but I've spent hours and hours in other areas trying to invade.

Probably because players kill the maiden as soon as possible

silva1991

Yikes, watching streamers wait so long to invade in this game is so depressing. I can't believe From isn't even trying to fix this mess. they NEED to atleast add pvp arena or something that has nothing to do with bell maidens.

It's a crappy area to get invaded in so people go for the Bell maidens straight away.

Man, I miss this game. Moved to another city a month or so ago and had to leave my PS4 behind. The expansion coming out soon is killing me. May have to get a TV for my new place and retrieve my PS4.
I was wondering what happened to you. Thought you gave up gaming, lol.

Persona7

Banned
Yikes, watching streamers wait so long to invade in this game is so depressing. I can't believe From isn't even trying to fix this mess. they NEED to atleast add pvp arena or something that has nothing to do with bell maidens.

I can get constant invasions in mergo's loft middle for the most part but I don't like that area at all and it isn't fun to me. I keep trying in Hemwick Charnel Lane but I get very few invasions.

I can get constant invasions in mergo's loft middle for the most part but I don't like that area at all and it isn't fun to me. I keep trying in Hemwick Charnel Lane but I get very few invasions.

That'd be because you need to be doing coop before you get a bell lady and can be invaded in most of the game and most people doing coop would pick someone up outside the boss room giving you no time to invade.

In the nightmares the bell ladies are just there anyway.

Shengar

Finally defeat Amygdala after dozens of trying. Don't know how people take this as easy fight -_-
Does Patches have any dialog after Amygdala defeat?

Melchiah

Finally defeat Amygdala after dozens of trying. Don't know how people take this as easy fight -_-
Does Patches have any dialog after Amygdala defeat?

They might be overleveled for the fight, like I was on the first playthrough. I went there earlier on subsequent playthoughs, and it was more challenging fight, although not that hard compared to some others.

There's additional dialogue after beating Amygdala.

Shengar

They might be overleveled for the fight, like I was on the first playthrough. I went there earlier on subsequent playthoughs, and it was more challenging fight, although not that hard compared to some others.

There's additional dialogue after beating Amygdala.

How much is overleveled? Mine was 70, and stopped right before Rom. I haven't visited Cainhurst Castle so that might be the reason.

Melchiah

How much is overleveled? Mine was 70, and stopped right before Rom. I haven't visited Cainhurst Castle so that might be the reason.

I don't remember how high I was levelled on my first playthrough, but I went to Nightmare Frontier just before Mensis, whereas the last time I went there before Byrgenwerth.

myco666

Lvl70 for Amygdala and before Rom? That is definetily higher than average. You should be around 50 at Rom. Recommended level for Amy is around 60.

Melchiah

Lvl70 for Amygdala and before Rom? That is definetily higher than average. You should be around 50 at Rom. Recommended level for Amy is around 60.

I was just below 60 when I fought Amy the last time, and it felt about right level for the match. 60 is where I'll be facing Rom, and starting the DLC.

Finalow

I think everyone already posted in the separate news thread.
oh, I haven't seen that.

I really hope thats the case but it really seems to be something like what saw spear is to saw cleaver. It even looks like LHB. It most likely is S scaling since LHB is already A. I have 4 or 5 characters at the end game atm but I still will start new character since I want to save all upgrade materials for new weapons.
er, if anything, it's the LHB that looks like the MLGS, which looks like that since forever. :p
we only saw some pictures so these are just assumptions but I want to believe.

edit/
Well, I didn't know about it until you spoiled it in this thread, as I have been avoiding the threads about the DLC 'cause I like discovering things on my own. So, thanks I guess, now it won't be a surprise anymore.
Guess I better leave this thread too. See y'all in November.
oh come on, people are obviously going to post about the upcoming DLC in here too. and I didn't mark it as a spoiler because honestly it doesn't feel like one considering how that's a weapon recurring in every ''souls game'' since king's field.

Shengar

I was just below 60 when I fought Amy the last time, and it felt about right level for the match. 60 is where I'll be facing Rom, and starting the DLC.

Well that confirm I'm sucks :(
Whipcane really bad at reaching high, big bosses.

Finalow

That'd be because you need to be doing coop before you get a bell lady and can be invaded in most of the game and most people doing coop would pick someone up outside the boss room giving you no time to invade.

In the nightmares the bell ladies are just there anyway.
yep, it's just the pvp system in this game that doesn't work well at all.

a pvp arena could be a good idea in this case, I believe.

myco666

er, if anything, it's the LHB that looks like the MLGS, which looks like that since forever. :p
we only saw some pictures so these are just assumptions but I want to believe.

You got a point there but LHB was already MLGS reference.

Well 10 levels isn't that much overleveled and in this game overleveling doesn't really even help you aside from being able to tank hits if your Vit is high enough. Having overleveled weapons is what breaks boss fights. One of my characters killed Amy with 10 bullets and she didn't even touch me.

Not sure of the spoiler policy at this point considering the game has been out for so long.. bark at me if I need to black any of this out.

This is the best game I’ve played in a decade.

Granted, I say that as someone who’s never played a Souls game (only other FromSoftware game I’ve played is 3D Dot Game Heroes)… but yeah, the experience is really phenomenal. The depth of combat and the skill required with timing attacks and defense really compliments the risk/reward exploration. Defeats are crushing, and victories are empowering.

I purchased the game at launch and in the first month of ownership (I can only put a few hours into gaming each week) I created a strength build with focus on Ludwig’s Holy Blade and the Repeating Pistol. At level 58 I dropped Rom, after a significant number of attempts. Prior to getting to him, I had managed to unlock Cainhurst but had not yet found the Martyr Logarius.

Life got busy after the Rom victory and I had to put the game down. Over the next few months whenever some free time opened up, I honestly felt intimidated about picking the game up again. At one point, maybe 2 months ago, I booted it up and made a b-line for The One Reborn… attempted him once, got my ass handed to me, and turned it off.

With The Old Hunters on the horizon I started to get the itch to pick the game up again, and also kind of felt guilty about having never finished the game, especially considering how much I enjoyed the lore & gameplay. Turns out I had a lot of free time yesterday and decided to buckle down and get back into the swing of things.

From the Hunters Dream I went to Cainhurst and found the Martyr (still level 58) and summarily got eviscerated 4 or 5 times before deciding I needed to get my attack timing back and re-learn some of the more brutal combo’s I’d previously been good at with Ludwig’s Sword. I also figured I might be out of my league level wise, so it was also a good opportunity to boost some of my stats. So for 2 hours I farmed Cainhurst. I got my timing back against the fucking spider hopping enemies outside (which were also a good source of currency). I loaded up on Blood Chunks which allowed me to level up my sword to +8 and my gun to +6. By the end of the farming session my character was level 70 and I was starting to feel like a badass.

Time to Kill the Martyr. God it was brutal.. I think this is the toughest boss I’ve come across. In my first new attempt I almost got him, but was cut down by his skyfall dash attach towards the end. On the 2nd go round though, I was able to dodge it effectively enough to finally cut him down with 4 or 5 blood vials left in my pocket. The hidden queen cut-scene was tight as was joining the Vialbloods. I’m now sporting the executioner’s garb with the Cainhurst leggings, gauntlets and helmet. Which all looks pretty bad ass. Shame I can’t complete Alfred’s quest considering I attacked him early in the game….

This is getting long, so I will try and wrap it up. Turns out I had an epic time after the Martyr. I managed to drop The One Reborn in two attempts and the Celestial Emissary on the first go. Oh also, the Upper Cathedral Ward is such a cool environment when you first get there. Crossing that bridge, with the trees blowing in the wind, and the vista looking out over the city… this game has such good art direction/style/atmosphere.

Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos………. Shit.

I attempted it 6 or 7 times and never really got close. So I threw in the towel and decided to try calling someone else into my world to help me… but I rung the wrong bell. (I’d never done PvP before, entire play through had been solo until this point). Yeah, so I rang the small bell and was transported to someone else’s game, and the fight began. They were sporting the saw clever and seemed to be around my same level. Being able to attack her from both sides really changed the game. One of us would run up, attacked, take some damage, then the next person would run up from behind, distracter her from the other player, attacked, take damage… rinse and repeat. It was a hard battle, but we got it done.

But shit, I was hoping that victory would mean she was beat in my game as well. Nope.

So I went back, and rang the correct bell…. And holy shit, some badass fucking dude came into my world. He was wearing some sinister looking shit I’d never seen (not the crow outfit, I have that) and was sporting the blades of mercy. He also had magic abilities (I didn’t know that was part of the game). Anyway, we fucked her up good… but, in the last seconds of the battle, she blasted me with some kind of projectile glowing attack from distance and killed me right as the other dude slashed her for the last time. The game said ‘You Died’, and then followed it up with ‘Prey Slaughtered’…. Nope, didn’t count.

So I rang the bell again… the same dude came back to help me, and it was lights out. I buffed the Holy Blade with Bolt, and landed heavy hit after heavy hit while the other co-op player attacked her with the same magic projectile attack I’d been killed by the last round. So yeah, the magic abilities this dude had were pretty awesome. The whole fight lasted less than 2 minutes. Kind of felt like cheating with such a powerful ally, but whatever, it was an awesome experience and I’m one step closer to beating Bloodborne.

I’m now at the Nightmare Frontier and have unlocked a shortcut. Had to PvP with someone when I first got there (even though I’d rung no bell?)… the dude looked similarly sinister to the guy who help me fight Ebrietas, but he had some kind of scythe weapon I’d not yet seen…. But it didn’t matter, for as deadly as the dude looked, he couldn’t handle the transformed Holy Blade. I managed to land a transformed charged thrust (R2) and followed it up with the transition (L1) attached which lands a heavy swing before switching back to the smaller sword… and that took the last ½ of his health away. Dude flat lined and I sighed with relief.

From what I’ve read online I’ve got Amygdala, Micolash, & Mergo left before I get to the end. I’m headed out of town this weekend though, so they will have to wait till Sunday night.

Sorry for the novel…. I just really had a great time yesterday rediscovering the game and felt the need to share it. This game is just too damn good. I’m really looking forward to The Old Hunters (soon) and Dark Souls 3 (early next year). Perhaps between those two games I will try and squeeze in Dark Souls 2 on the PC. My only complaint with Bloodborne is the framerate (at times) and the image quality. Those deficiencies are totally outclassed by the art direction and gameplay…. But downsampling Dark Souls 2 at a locked 60 will probably be a treat.

Cheers fellow hunters. Huge thanks to whoever helped me slay Ebrietas.

embalm

Finally I have joined the hunt.

I rolled a dex based character and I'm currently rocking the Threaded Cane.

I think I have explored all of Central Yarnham. I think I'm level 16 or so, I've upped the Cane to +2, and I found some much better Hunter armor. I've beaten the Cleric Beast and I believe the only area I haven't made it through is the G-man in the graveyard. He is completely rocking my shit. I have made it to beast mode twice and the battle turns into a dodge fest more than anything.

So do you guys have any tips? Should I try a different weapon? Should I try to grind out some levels? Dodging in that arena is nightmare.

I'm currently low on bullets and heals, so I have to restock, but tonight he dies and the Hunt continues.

0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55 - By all means give DS2 a whirl it's a great game, but don't sleep on Dark Souls 1 (or Demon's Souls for that matter if you have a PS3). The whole series is great. Also, "cool story, bro" - literally! :)

Finally I have joined the hunt.

I rolled a dex based character and I'm currently rocking the Threaded Cane.

I think I have explored all of Central Yarnham. I think I'm level 16 or so, I've upped the Cane to +2, and I found some much better Hunter armor. I've beaten the Cleric Beast and I believe the only area I haven't made it through is the G-man in the graveyard. He is completely rocking my shit. I have made it to beast mode twice and the battle turns into a dodge fest more than anything.

So do you guys have any tips? Should I try a different weapon? Should I try to grind out some levels? Dodging in that arena is nightmare.

I'm currently low on bullets and heals, so I have to restock, but tonight he dies and the Hunt continues.

Did you get the
the music box from the girl
? Use it when he transforms, get a charged attack on his back + visceral attack. That should give you a huge leadway on that phase.

Keep distance and use molotov or the transformed version of the cane.

embalm

Did you get the
the music box from the girl
? Use it when he transforms, get a charged attack on his back + visceral attack. That should give you a huge leadway on that phase.

Keep distance and use molotov or the transformed version of the cane.
I did get it and I used it before his transformation, but it seemed to do almost nothing, so I never even tried it during the chaos of beast mode. I'll give it a shot after the transformation and will hopefully take him down.

I love the feeling of a new Souls game. Nothing like creeping around a new area, terrified of what is around every corner. I can't wait to see what else is waiting for me deeper in the city.

I did get it and I used it before his transformation, but it seemed to do almost nothing, so I never even tried it during the chaos of beast mode. I'll give it a shot after the transformation and will hopefully take him down.
With father G, I was sporting the axe, and it's transformed mode which hits hard a distance worked well. I'd keep tombstones between me and the Father and swing. Perhaps the threaded cane has the distance to reach him through the tombstones?

0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55 - By all means give DS2 a whirl it's a great game, but don't sleep on Dark Souls 1 (or Demon's Souls for that matter if you have a PS3). The whole series is great. Also, "cool story, bro" - literally! :)
I'd love to play them all, but with only a handful of hours per week that go towards gaming, it would take me eons.

tariniel

I started a second character after finished it on my first, this time intending to roll skill and bloodtinge, so I grabbed the Threaded Cane to give it a shot, since I'd never used it and it has skill scaling on it. At first I loved it, the whip mode tore up those fools in the first few areas of the game, hitting 2-3 at once from a safe distance.

Then I tried to kill the Cleric Beast with it and it felt like I did almost no damage at all. I had to go grab the Saw Spear and then I went back and killed it just fine. Perhaps it's not meant as a boss weapon? Or maybe I just need to upgrade it a few times before it shines. I was trying to save all of my initial upgrade stones for when I can pick up the Rifle Spear.

I started a second character after finished it on my first, this time intending to roll skill and bloodtinge, so I grabbed the Threaded Cane to give it a shot, since I'd never used it and it has skill scaling on it. At first I loved it, the whip mode tore up those fools in the first few areas of the game, hitting 2-3 at once from a safe distance.

Then I tried to kill the Cleric Beast with it and it felt like I did almost no damage at all. I had to go grab the Saw Spear and then I went back and killed it just fine. Perhaps it's not meant as a boss weapon? Or maybe I just need to upgrade it a few times before it shines. I was trying to save all of my initial upgrade stones for when I can pick up the Rifle Spear.
I've beaten almost half the bosses with the cane so yeah I can confirm its a boss weapon. Rifle spear can't be buffed with anything.

embalm

I just beat the Cleric Beast using it last night. After trying a few different things, it seemed like getting under it's legs and R2 in whip form did decent enough damage. It was only +1 at the time, but it did enough that I felt I could beat the boss and did it on my second try.

Honestly the weapon could be terrible, I think it looks awesome and plan to run with it though.

What does Bloodtinge do? Is it a stat for scaling guns or is it used for other things as well?

Ophelion

I went back and tried to play some Dark Souls 2 last night.

It was a stark reminder how much better your control over your character is in Bloodborne and how spoiled I've become with BB's insane mobility. I guess I should've expected this, but it's the exact opposite problem I had when transitioning from Souls to BB just in the opposite direction. I keep forgetting to block and dodge away way too late. All my souls muscle memory is completely messed up!

Dark Souls 3 is going to be....interesting.

tariniel

I just beat the Cleric Beast using it last night. After trying a few different things, it seemed like getting under it's legs and R2 in whip form did decent enough damage. It was only +1 at the time, but it did enough that I felt I could beat the boss and did it on my second try.

Honestly the weapon could be terrible, I think it looks awesome and plan to run with it though.

What does Bloodtinge do? Is it a stat for scaling guns or is it used for other things as well?

I had seen some videos around of gun-only runs through the game, and while I'm not crazy enough to do that, I wanted to try a character where the gun actually did some damage, rather than just a parry/interrupt button. As my last character was strength, I also wanted to try skill. It turns out that skill/bloodtinge is a pretty decent combination with the Chikage + Evelyn, but I don't get those until Cainhurst.

At +10, Chikage has S rank scaling with Bloodtinge, and B in skill.
At +7-10, Evelyn also has S rank scaling with Bloodtinge.

So I think I'll be going 25 skill/50 bloodtinge based on advice from a few posters here.

I picked the cane because I'm going to be adding points to skill anyways, so I figured I might as well give it a try until I can make it to Cainhurst. I'll try to upgrade it and see if I like it better.

Melchiah

I used the Cane's whip mode as well. Wait him to strike, and hit him when he's down.

I haven't uploaded my last fight against him to YouTube, but here's the Defiled version:
https://youtu.be/dJNLI0_fOCw

It could have went better, as hitting only his arms prolonged the fight, and I missed most of the shots with Evelyn and Bone Marrow Ash.

Hit a wall :(

Currently at Darkbeast Pearl (?) and holy fuck are his AOE swings insane. It's like the game breaks when using the camera lock as well (cleric beast felt the same way).
Also, are the enemies around that area supposed to hit SO fucking hard? :(

STR build with Cleave-Blade btw

Game has a way of making you feel like you're playing it wrong, just when u cleared a prior area with no issue...

Top Bottom