• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Veelk

Banned
He still needs to go through the Forbidden Woods, which clearly he hasn't done yet. Veelk, go fight those thin dudes with the sacks, it'll probably kill you, have fun. If you don't want that you need to go through the cemetery without getting Robocopped to get to a new area.

I have no idea what any of this means.

I'm just gonna go to the cemetery and wing it from there.

manfestival

Investigate the corpse at the end, that should take you to the next part.

yeah I did and it took me to the library... I think?... then that took me to that nightmare frontier. Not really sure what to do since I hate the nightmare frontier

I have a feeling that I am close to the end. also hearing the baby in the background is annoying

Arjen

yeah I did and it took me to the library... I think?... then that took me to that nightmare frontier. Not really sure what to do since I hate the nightmare frontier

I have a feeling that I am close to the end. also hearing the baby in the background is annoying

In the library the first floor leads to the nightmare frontier, the second floor leads to the nightmare of mensis, that's where you want to go.

RiggyRob

Special video to give a bit of context to the end of the next episode, Pimmsy witnesses Alfred's downfall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1-8KFKnzQ

Alfred's still my favourite bro in Bloodborne, even if he's a religious lunatic. He helps you out, gives you info and Fire Paper, and his speech in Castle Cainhurst is probably my favourite dialogue of the entire game.

Now the real episode 14, Pimmsy vs. Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DJFTm_8VIE

I really liked the subtle detail of
Ebrietas's shield against Mensis Scholar Damien's Blacksky Eye spell, I hadn't seen it before against A Call Beyond for example. I think we've missed it or haven't looked hard enough, but is there an actual explanation as to why the Altar of Despair reverses time?

Special video to give a bit of context to the end of the next episode, Pimmsy witnesses Alfred's downfall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1-8KFKnzQ

Alfred's still my favourite bro in Bloodborne, even if he's a religious lunatic. He helps you out, gives you info and Fire Paper, and his speech in Castle Cainhurst is probably my favourite dialogue of the entire game.

Now the real episode 14, Pimmsy vs. Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DJFTm_8VIE

Ebrietas's shield against Mensis Scholar Damien's Blacksky Eye spell, I hadn't seen it before against A Call Beyond for example. I think we've missed it or haven't looked hard enough, but is there an actual explanation as to why the Altar of Despair reverses time?

It just restore her not reverse time I think, and alfred is quite the one of the few NPC who is totally transparent towards you.

I love how the coop partner is just zoning Ebrietas with constant beam spam. If I wasn't at worked I would've just laughed my ass off.

RiggyRob

It just restore her not reverse time I think, and alfred is quite the one of the few NPC who is totally transparent towards you.

Yeah but why her? Is it because she has Pthumerian blood?

Exactly, Alfred is up front, honest and straightforward with you, in contrast with the Chapel Dweller who seems reeeally suspicious when you first meet him.

I love how the coop partner is just zoning Ebrietas with constant beam spam. If I wasn't at worked I would've just laughed my ass off.

To be fair, if AI have infinite bullets I would have wanted it to do exactly that (except maybe use A Call Beyond since that does a lot more against Ebrietas).

Yeah but why her? Is it because she has Pthumerian blood?

Exactly, Alfred is up front, honest and straightforward with you, in contrast with the Chapel Dweller who seems reeeally suspicious when you first meet him.

Annalise drank the old blood and corrupting her blood in the process makin her an undead. the Chapel guy wouldnt last long before being used as a blood ritual became a Blood starving beast

To be fair, if AI have infinite bullets I would have wanted it to do exactly that (except maybe use A Call Beyond since that does a lot more against Ebrietas).
Coop partner really just broke that fight. Ebrietas can be a really stiff challenge. A part of me would want to see Pimmsy play before the most recent patch, but I'm also glad she's enjoying the game.

Arondight

I tried to use 2 hours of break I had between studying for a test and writing a paper to try and get back into it after like a week of not playing. I didn't progress much. Any bloodechoes I got, I lost before I could make use of. Problem is that I'm not sure where to go from here on out. Left to the grand cathedral is this wierd tunnel of grave stones that lead to a cemetery. When I noticed that it was particularly creepy looking, even relative to the rest of the game, I was like "I don't know if this area is quite ready for my winning personality and unstoppable charisma yet, but..." then I went in further, where some scythe carrying looking spectre appeared and I was about to fight him, but a dog with a crescent moon blade in it's mouth killed me in one hit. Yup, definitely not ready.

Then I tried going to the right of the cemetary, where I found a hunter that was using an electric mace. Coolio. He was tough, but I actually beat him. Then I met like the worst possible hunter troll. He just had a wide spread shotgun that he spammed at me from a distant, and I have to try and get close as he runs around. Very annoying to fight. Maybe not impossible, but I didn't want to deal with the headache.

So I went down to Old Yharnam, where I met what I thought would be a nice man. I mean, he's trying to protect me, telling me it's a dangerous town and all, but of course I can handle myself. Then he's all "You cannot die to the beasts. So I will kill you myself." WHAT A NICE DUDE! Killing me so I don't have to die. So generous.

I don't really know how to proceed from here, tbh. The normal enemies of the Old Yarn are very easy, and the other two seem a bit out of my league, so I'm guessing I level up before I go there. I'll have to figure out what to do about that gun though. I'm mostly worried I'm missing some side quest though, but I don't want to check if I have.

I finished this part fairly recently. You can kill Djura (guy with gun) easily
by sneaking up a ladder (which is near his ally), Try ignoring his ally because he's hard to take care of when he's shooting at you (learnt that the hard way but did it this way). When you climb up the ladder, you see you'll have to climb another, that's when you quickly climb up dash towards him and quickly knock him off the edge cause if you don't, you'll probably have to go through a long battle.
. Would recommend using fast attacks

Once you take care of Djura, Hunter ally is easy to take care off. There's actually a way you can beat the ally easily as well and that's through
using the ladder that heads down and the ally with fall to his death following you. You have to unlock that door first. Also to note that don't bother jumping down either as you'll die instantly.
. Would recommend level up for boss because he's much harder than the NPC's by a lot mostly because of his last set of moves.

Just finished Beating Amelia and Hemwick last night. Hemwick is a huge joke and was walking through it. Nice place to level up so fast though. One thing I don't quite get in Cathedral ward is lesser Amy. Not sure what you're supposed to do through that door because didn't see at first and tried opening the door but got grabbed and instant killed. That was before I beat Hemwick and Amelia though and not sure if that's changed. Going through Forbidden woods right now and probably the creepiest place so far. Was really lost one where I was supposed to go. Turns out, the first NPC I ever meet that I don't kill immediately is a beast sigh.

I find it really annoying how hard it is to find Blood Chunks so far. I kind of realized I messed up knowing that I can't return to Unseen Village for a while where there's more there but didn't light the lamp since I went to the direction of the boss first without realizing.

Arjen

Pre-rom there are no chunks in the unseen village, they're twin shards. For early chunks you'll need to go to cainhurst, and there are one or two in nightmare frontier too.

myco666

If you have the DLC, that is now the earliest possible you can find any chunks.

You get access to NF and Cainhurst pretty much the same time although you need to do little bit more for those. I am trying to get +9 before Rom but I am not sure if there are enough chunks for it. There were already enough to get +8 weapon before Rom but don't remember how much chunk is left over from that.

manfestival

In the library the first floor leads to the nightmare frontier, the second floor leads to the nightmare of mensis, that's where you want to go.

oh roger, I was so confused running around the library the past couple days. kept slaying those stupid water people like... FFFFFFFFFF . Now to find where on the second floor to go lol.

manfestival

Should I kill the giant spider with spider friends? I got tired of dying to him and ran off. Fought some dude and killed others and found another lamp. Nightmare mensis totally sucks. I got invaded every time I tried to cross the river of lucky charms so I pulled some Yolo moves and found that foul woman

Dahbomb

Should I kill the giant spider with spider friends? I got tired of dying to him and ran off. Fought some dude and killed others and found another lamp. Nightmare mensis totally sucks. I got invaded every time I tried to cross the river of lucky charms so I pulled some Yolo moves and found that foul woman
You don't need to kill the spiders but if you need to you can just funnel them through the door you came in, kill the small spiders and kill the big spiders while it's stuck at the door. It can't go through and you can just safely kill it.

RiggyRob

Realised I skipped a few fights since I edited them after the Rom video, so I'm catching up now - episode 15, Pimmsy vs Yurie, the Last Scholar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h0ntZIMqOc

I find she's quite a tough hunter to fight at this stage - Iosefka is slightly harder because of the enclosed room whereas the bottom floor of the college has enough space to dodge around more.

What's the reason for Yurie being here again? She's not an apprentice of Master Willem as one blocks the entrance to the Forbidden Woods (and is dead), and the other drops the Graveguard set (and is also dead).

She must be a member of the Choir like Iosefka was. Was she trying to find Master Willem himself?

Realised I skipped a few fights since I edited them after the Rom video, so I'm catching up now - episode 15, Pimmsy vs Yurie, the Last Scholar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h0ntZIMqOc

I find she's quite a tough hunter to fight at this stage - Iosefka is slightly harder because of the enclosed room whereas the bottom floor of the college has enough space to dodge around more.

What's the reason for Yurie being here again? She's not an apprentice of Master Willem as one blocks the entrance to the Forbidden Woods (and is dead), and the other drops the Graveguard set (and is also dead).

She must be a member of the Choir like Iosefka was. Was she trying to find Master Willem himself?

She is a member of the Choir branch of the Church, possibly looking for the Lunary key (which is on the upper part where she is patrolling the area) to get access to the Balcony and find Willem,

Veelk

Banned
The more I play bloodborne, the more I realize that this is just enough of my kind of game that I am willing to endure it while also realizing that it's gameplay design philosophy is going to make it a very frustrating experience, which I don't think will end with a really good holistic experience.

I only played 40 minutes, and I should probably hold off on these posts until I can sit down and tackle things for 3 hour spans as I'll probably make more progress that way. However, I've been trying to get passed the cemetary, and it's pretty challenging for me in ways I'm not enjoying. This new ghost enemy things are interesting enemies, but then you have a bunch of shitheads off on the side that just take potshots at you, especially the group of 4 or 5 that just huddle around that fire together. This means I need to be extremely meticulous about how I approach it, because if I strike too far out, an outside gunner might spot me and start shooting at me from way far away. Which would be fine, if the enemies didn't blend so well with their environment and if the nearest spawnpoint wasn't a over a minutes running distance away. Every failure means I have to wait 2 minutes atleast of just getting back to where I was. And the way the enemies blend into the background really nasty surprises.

I'm not going to say it's unfair because I don't think it strictly is that and I think seen the bloodsouls community take to posters that use that word like sharks take to a bleeding seal too often for it to be worth using even if I did think it applied, but it is a pain in the ass for no good reason. I said it before in some other post, and I'll probably say it again, but the design philosophy here doesn't make success more satisfying, it just makes defeat more frustrating. And I know some people like it like that, but I'm personally not a masochist and it's tough for me to justify that when I don't really get anything in return.

I should also note that whenever I say that I am on whatever part I'm on and having some trouble with it, people tend to give out advise on how to beat it, even if I don't ask for it. While I appreciate the generousity, I'd rather you guys not give me that advise as I want to figure it out myself despite the frustration I'm feeling. Sometimes, I just want to bitch and moan, you know, not necessarily looking for a hand out. There probably will be times where I will come in here and just be "The fuck do I do here?", I just don't that to be the default response to my complaining.

The more I play bloodborne, the more I realize that this is just enough of my kind of game that I am willing to endure it while also realizing that it's gameplay design philosophy is going to make it a very frustrating experience, which I don't think will end with a really good holistic experience.

I only played 40 minutes, and I should probably hold off on these posts until I can sit down and tackle things for 3 hour spans as I'll probably make more progress that way. However, I've been trying to get passed the cemetary, and it's pretty challenging for me in ways I'm not enjoying. This new ghost enemy things are interesting enemies, but then you have a bunch of shitheads off on the side that just take potshots at you, especially the group of 4 or 5 that just huddle around that fire together. This means I need to be extremely meticulous about how I approach it, because if I strike too far out, an outside gunner might spot me and start shooting at me from way far away. Which would be fine, if the enemies didn't blend so well with their environment and if the nearest spawnpoint wasn't a over a minutes running distance away. Every failure means I have to wait 2 minutes atleast of just getting back to where I was. And the way the enemies blend into the background really nasty surprises.

I'm not going to say it's unfair because I don't think it strictly is that and I think seen the bloodsouls community take to posters that use that word like sharks take to a bleeding seal too often for it to be worth using even if I did think it applied, but it is a pain in the ass for no good reason. I said it before in some other post, and I'll probably say it again, but the design philosophy here doesn't make success more satisfying, it just makes defeat more frustrating. And I know some people like it like that, but I'm personally not a masochist and it's tough for me to justify that when I don't really get anything in return.

I should also note that whenever I say that I am on whatever part I'm on and having some trouble with it, people tend to give out advise on how to beat it, even if I don't ask for it. While I appreciate the generousity, I'd rather you guys not give me that advise as I want to figure it out myself despite the frustration I'm feeling. Sometimes, I just want to bitch and moan, you know, not necessarily looking for a hand out. There probably will be times where I will come in here and just be "The fuck do I do here?", I just don't that to be the default response to my complaining.
I'm not going to give out too much advice, but now is a good time to use up some of that insight. You'll see why I say this for a very good reason. Yeah...hopefully now you realize why I said, "hopefully you don't get Robocopped" in a previous post cause getting shot to pieces by those guys just reminds me of that scene in Robocop.

Veelk

Banned
I'm not going to give out too much advice, but now is a good time to use up some of that insight. You'll see why I say this for a very good reason. Yeah...hopefully now you realize why I said, "hopefully you don't get Robocopped" in a previous post cause getting shot to pieces by those guys just reminds me of that scene in Robocop.

So I should buy something with insight and that'll make the game easier?

But yeah, I understand what you meant by being dakka'd now. But I had managed to get passed that once, and got eaten up by a sneak dog attack while in a corner. Frikken ninja dogs.

So I should buy something with insight and that'll make the game easier?

But yeah, I understand what you meant by being dakka'd now. But I had managed to get passed that once, and got eaten up by a sneak dog attack while in a corner. Frikken ninja dogs.
It'll stop those ghost things from showing up because they show up when you reach 15 insight. Worst thing about the dogs is that they can stun lock you and seem to attack you right when you're about to attack them. There's actually worse scenarios in the chalice dungeons.
This will never stop being funny.

Man, I'm trying to play through the expansion in co-op just because I want to get to other stuff (and I really like playing co-op), but we can never get past 20 minutes in without getting stomped by 2 hunters (or a sinister summon). Gonna keep on trying, really like it thus far though (I'm in new game plus, level 90).

Dahbomb

Isn't there a spawn point right near the fire where the witches are hanging around the fire?

That's one of the better spawn points in the game and the area has two shortcuts as well.

Always take on enemies one at a time. Back up to create space and aggro one enemy at a time. Approach situations carefully and always have an exit strat. This applies to all areas in the game. Unless you are over leveled don't try to take multiple foes at once.

the most satisfying thing to me about bloodsouls is when you get to a sequence like this and you finally work your way through and you're nervous as hell because you don't want to die and you stumble upon a new shortcut. dat feeling

I feel you.
7d2.gif

Everyone reached that point in their runs, dont worry just enjoy the ride, its quite an experience

weshes195

Hey, completely understand about that beginning. I just bought this game like 6 days ago. However, they did that FOR you, not against you. I understand completely about your unfair point. To be honest, it kinda is meant to be unfair in the beginning to help show you how weak you are. It makes you realize that you need to use strategy, caution, and quickness.

To be honest, by FAR one of the hardest opening section (that you have to continue to go through) in video games. I spent 15 minutes taking them all down. And when I ended up dying I would be so sad because I would have to do it all over again :(

However, the best part? After playing hours of the game I just walz through there and kill them like the wimps they are. This game expects you to work for it and when you do it rewards you by making you feel like a super bad-ass!

Holy fuck I just beat the Cleric beast. Heart is racing lmao. First try too.

I had just a tiny sliver of health left.

Damn, this game is fucking awesome.

RiggyRob

Are you trying to take a 'kill all enemies in my way' approach? In normal RPGs I do the same thing since if you beat everything in your way, you should be appropriately levelled for the boss, but it doesn't work the same way in Bloodborne (and I assume Dark Souls).

Sometimes it's better to run than to fight, because you're quicker than everything in the game when sprinting, and I'm pretty sure you can avoid the majority of the gunners by the fire by hugging the left wall and keeping going forward.

The good thing about that section is that it's right next to the Grand Cathedral lantern, so it's not too far away to run to and try again - it could be even further away like some other lanterns.

embalm

It has probably already been said, but you should try to do some death runs. A run where you are trying to explore as much as possible and don't really care about your death. When you hit those woods, just run around and explore knowing you will die. See if you can find a way out or map out the exits in your head.

This is something I almost always do after losing a crap load of blood echoes to pair of deaths. It helps relieve some of the stress and makes that area a little bit easier when you know what's around the next few corners.

Edit:
It's also really easy to end up in a part of the game that is a few levels above you. You can take on things in any order, but you may want to ask about the suggested order to make sure you aren't making things hard on yourself. When I was at that part of the game, I had already killed 4 bosses, but maybe you've gotten there sooner.

RiggyRob

Episode 16, Pimmsy vs. The Hunters of Yahar'gul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=980LfnesiII

Probably put more effort into editing this than any other video, but it needs it when a) there's no background music to the fight and b) the end of round 2 in the video happens.

It's definitely a good idea to take on the hunters one by one, especially if you can sneak up on the one on the stairs like Pimmsy did. I remember what I did was lead them outside until two went back inside so I could murder the other with the Tonitrus. Course, you have to make sure everything outside is dead too, which is easier said than done!

Episode 16, Pimmsy vs. The Hunters of Yahar'gul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=980LfnesiII

Probably put more effort into editing this than any other video, but it needs it when a) there's no background music to the fight and b) the end of round 2 in the video happens.

It's definitely a good idea to take on the hunters one by one, especially if you can sneak up on the one on the stairs like Pimmsy did. I remember what I did was lead them outside until two went back inside so I could murder the other with the Tonitrus. Course, you have to make sure everything outside is dead too, which is easier said than done!

I never tried to kill them to be honest I just lead them outside and let the corpse enemies kill them for me

Just started playing a few weeks ago and I'm stuck. That sniper with the machine gun in Old Yharnam. First time I fought him I ended up rolling off the roof and died. So as I'm making my way back to him I get ambushed by another random Hunter. I play the lure and catch game with him, as he wants to fight in this open area where Mr Sniper is raising hell on me. FINALLY I kill this random hunter, but every time I make it back to the top of the tower this dude owns me. Its not even funny.

Any tips :/

myco666

Just started playing a few weeks ago and I'm stuck. That sniper with the machine gun in Old Yharnam. First time I fought him I ended up rolling off the roof and died. So as I'm making my way back to him I get ambushed by another random Hunter. I play the lure and catch game with him, as he wants to fight in this open area where Mr Sniper is raising hell on me. FINALLY I kill this random hunter, but every time I make it back to the top of the tower this dude owns me. Its not even funny.

Best tip is to ignore him. There is no need to kill him at all. If you want to kill him just get on top of the tower as fast as you can and start shooting with blunderbuss or rush him. He should drop from both. Then just quit and reload to get whatever he drops.

Best tip is to ignore him. There is no need to kill him at all. If you want to kill him just get on top of the tower as fast as you can and start shooting with blunderbuss or rush him. He should drop from both. Then just quit and reload to get whatever he drops.
Wow really? After plenty of attempts I'm just gonna say fuck it

Arjen

You can easily cheese him with the hunter pistol. As soon as you've climbed the ladder shoot him and keep shooting him, after about 4 shots he'll fall from the roof.

Top Bottom