• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

CHC

Wow really? After plenty of attempts I'm just gonna say fuck it

You can also charge him with a power attack from something like Hunter's Axe and knock him off the ledge but the timing is tricky.

Alternatively,
if you leave him alive but kill Bloodstarved Beast and Darkbeast Paarl, he will become friendly to you,

RiggyRob

Episode 17, Pimmsy vs. Choir Intelligencer Edgar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-h6oO5Twm8

I found it kinda lame that you have this epic 3v1 fight with the hunters of Yahar'gul before this, you make your way past the Frenzy-causing Brain of Mensis, you beat off the Nightmare Apostles (if you can) and then you have this weaksauce fight against Edgar, who is the last NPC hunter you face in the game.

The only problem he posed was his Rosmarinus was pretty deadly, but then I think that was because Pimmsy was wearing Frenzy-specific stuff which must have really low Arcane defence.

Must see a video of that.

They're considered enemies to the Hunters? Interesting, I'm going to do that from now on.

The trick is to take them outside and deaggro them taking the elevator so the AI will fight the corpses

Episode 17, Pimmsy vs. Choir Intelligencer Edgar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-h6oO5Twm8

I found it kinda lame that you have this epic 3v1 fight with the hunters of Yahar'gul before this, you make your way past the Frenzy-causing Brain of Mensis, you beat off the Nightmare Apostles (if you can) and then you have this weaksauce fight against Edgar, who is the last NPC hunter you face in the game.

The only problem he posed was his Rosmarinus was pretty deadly, but then I think that was because Pimmsy was wearing Frenzy-specific stuff which must have really low Arcane defence.

Did she fought the Cathedral cainhurst hunter because that Hunter is the hardest.

RiggyRob

The trick is to take them outside and deaggro them taking the elevator so the AI will fight the corpses

Did she fought the Cathedral cainhurst hunter because that Hunter is the hardest.

Bloody Crow? Yeah she did, don't have a video for that one though - in terms of story progression though Edgar is the last one, since you could end up never going back to Grand Cathedral and if you didn't help Eileen the Bloody Crow doesn't appear anyway.

Szadek

Started a new game to get a new save file for the DLC.
My old one was lost when my broken PS4 got replaced and I was in ng++ anyway.

The weapon I'm using is the Logarius' Wheel. I cheesed Afred by backstabbing him over and over again,then run away till his AI resets.
It's a really fun weapon to use.
Just killed Viscar without too many problems. Unfortunately I killed the crow (it was an accident, I swear!) ,so my options for the last rune are rather limited.

I wil probably kill all the optional bosses,minus the chalice ones,because fuck the chalice dungeons.

squidyj

I want to get into deep chalice dungeons on my new char but I have literally no will to go through all the farming and kills to get there :l

ps all my pvp encounters have been with people using rakuyo, is this the new hotness or something?

I have only been using the saw cleaver so far. The kirkhammer just appeared in the shop for purchase.

Are they complementary weapons? Or should I just stick with one? I'm still pretty early on in the game on my first play through.

I chose the military veteran background and have thus far put most of my points into vitality (with one or two in endurance).

I have only been using the saw cleaver so far. The kirkhammer just appeared in the shop for purchase.

Are they complementary weapons? Or should I just stick with one? I'm still pretty early on in the game on my first play through.

I chose the military veteran background and have thus far put most of my points into vitality (with one or two in endurance).
If you plan only leveling strength then yeah, you can try it. It's a fun weapon that staggers and stuns enemies easily and has good range and motions, but the Saw Cleaver is better at raw DPS.

Kirkhammer is a STR weapon (A scaling), so you'll have to focus your character into STR. With the DLC, STR characters got some very interesting options, so you can safely go that route and try other weapons later.

Kirkhammer was my main weapon on my first character, and it's a very fun weapon and still one of my favs after trying several ones, but also requires more practice than the saw cleaver.

It's one hand mode is a quite powerful sword, but also slower than a saw cleaver but the true value of the weapon it's transformed mode, when it becomes a slow but big piece of destruction.

Since some of it's attacks are slow, you'll need to take into account that delay (specially in contrast with your current weapon), but in response offers great versatility, great range and great damage.

So, yeah, it's a matter of choice, but if you think you could enjoy a weapon like that, go for it.

Also, think while you can easily level up another weapon with your main, so if you end not liking it, you can easily pick another down the line, specially in the DLC in which STR got some of the best weapons.

Arondight

Took me 2 hours to grind my blade to 9+ in Cainhurst. Not sure if it was worth the effort. Shadows of Yharnam was challenging but got them on my first go. Never got the huge snake summons like I've seen. Then I got to Rom. This guy was more frustrating than challenging. His blasts I eventually got over when I figured out what to do but those spiders hit me like a pinball and do insane damage which was annoying. I think when I managed to lock on him, everything just felt so much easier.

So far, the boss difficulty rank for me have pretty much for me been.
Bloodstarved Beast>>Rom>Cleric>Shadows of Yharnam>Father G>Dark Beast Paarl>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hemwick (like I don't see how anyone can die to this boss at all).

Thinking of trying out blades of mercy as a secondary to replace my Cane as the cane feels too similar to the holy blade.

Also recently started Chalice Dungeons and they're incredibly boring and sometimes being cheap almost having to slog through it all.

And fucking brainsuckers. Worst enemy by far.
Any tips :/

All NPC's I've encountered have pretty much been to cheese them whether it's pushing them off the ledge, making them jump over a ledge, fighting them in a corridor they don't go through. Probably the only instance where I couldn't do that was Cathedral Ward NPC's. They pretty much have tank health and are pretty reasonably fast and do large damage. I don't think you can even stagger some of them either so cheesing is the best strategy.

myco666

I assume you are still so early in the game that you can still choose whatever weapon you want. Try it out and if it feels good then go for it. I much prefer that weapon over the Cleaver.

Certinty

I consider myself a pretty good gamer overall but not so sure how I'll be at games like this, especially since I never played any of the Souls games. Is it still worth buying this? I don't want to get stuck because I'm not good enough and esentially end up wasting money.

Dahbomb

I consider myself a pretty good gamer overall but not so sure how I'll be at games like this, especially since I never played any of the Souls games. Is it still worth buying this? I don't want to get stuck because I'm not good enough and esentially end up wasting money.
Yes this game is worth getting. Mechanics wise it's easier to grasp than other Souls games, you can't really screw up your weapon upgrades, equipmemt or level ups. Bloodborne just has that initial curve that gets everyone even old Souls fans but once you learn how to play then the game moves along nicely.

There are a few tips you need in this game that you don't really use in other games:

Read every single note on the ground. In the hub area the's actually serve as your tutorial early on giving you key information like how to do certain actions.

Explore a lot. These games heavily reward exploration. You can unlock short cuts, get key items, new weapons/armors, more consumables and more currency.

Do not be afraid to die and go through the same area again. Every death is a learning experience, when you die it's usually your own fault and you can learn from it. Early on you will die to some ambushes or going into areas without knowing what is there but these things get easier once you know enemy layouts.

There are always shortcuts to bosses. If it takes you a really long walk to get to a boss after dying then explore around and look for a short cut. If there's a closed off gate/door near the lamp then chances are it's a short cut to the boss if you open it. You can easily ignore enemies in your path if you run past them.

Always read item descriptions.

Your gun is a parry tool, not a damage dealer. Shoot when you are about to get hit to stagger the enemy and then go close to them to press R1 for a visceral (which is like a contact sensitive attack for big damage). Likewise when behind an enemy you can charge up R2 and hit them in back to make them stagger for a visceral. Sometimes you can stealth singular larger enemies standing around if you walk up behind them.

Observe enemy/boss attack patterns and learn the Dodge timings to beat those attacks. Your dodge has some invincibility frames which means you can even dodge through attacks and that is sometimes better than dodging away. Dodging is one of the most fundamental parts of the game.

Don't mash attack button or dodge button because your actions get buffered. That means that if you press attack 3 times but you needed to dodge after the 2 one then you get locked into the animation and can't cancel into a dodge. You also don't want to mash because every action is tied to the stamina bar (like Monster Hunter) so you don't want to be in a position where you need to dodge but can't because you have no stamina.

Blood Vials are healing items that you can hold 20 at one time starting out. Enemies drop them on death or you can purchase them from the store. If you get over 20 then the extra ones go into your storage and when you die you refill your vials from your extra ones. Early on you want to get as many vials as possible as safely as possible however every encounter is designed to be beaten without using any vial so always try to play an encounter as if you don't have any vials (ie. Very cautiously).

You don't need insane gaming skills to beat these games... just patience and observation. There always online guides to help you along the way.

Certinty

Yes this game is worth getting. Mechanics wise it's easier to grasp than other Souls games, you can't really screw up your weapon upgrades, equipmemt or level ups. Bloodborne just has that initial curve that gets everyone even old Souls fans but once you learn how to play then the game moves along nicely.

There are a few tips you need in this game that you don't really use in other games:

Read every single note on the ground. In the hub area the's actually serve as your tutorial early on giving you key information like how to do certain actions.

Explore a lot. These games heavily reward exploration. You can unlock short cuts, get key items, new weapons/armors, more consumables and more currency.

Do not be afraid to die and go through the same area again. Every death is a learning experience, when you die it's usually your own fault and you can learn from it. Early on you will die to some ambushes or going into areas without knowing what is there but these things get easier once you know enemy layouts.

There are always shortcuts to bosses. If it takes you a really long walk to get to a boss after dying then explore around and look for a short cut. If there's a closed off gate/door near the lamp then chances are it's a short cut to the boss if you open it. You can easily ignore enemies in your path if you run past them.

Always read item descriptions.

Your gun is a parry tool, not a damage dealer. Shoot when you are about to get hit to stagger the enemy and then go close to them to press R1 for a visceral (which is like a contact sensitive attack for big damage). Likewise when behind an enemy you can charge up R2 and hit them in back to make them stagger for a visceral. Sometimes you can stealth singular larger enemies standing around if you walk up behind them.

Observe enemy/boss attack patterns and learn the Dodge timings to beat those attacks. Your dodge has some invincibility frames which means you can even dodge through attacks and that is sometimes better than dodging away. Dodging is one of the most fundamental parts of the game.

Don't mash attack button or dodge button because your actions get buffered. That means that if you press attack 3 times but you needed to dodge after the 2 one then you get locked into the animation and can't cancel into a dodge. You also don't want to mash because every action is tied to the stamina bar (like Monster Hunter) so you don't want to be in a position where you need to dodge but can't because you have no stamina.

Blood Vials are healing items that you can hold 20 at one time starting out. Enemies drop them on death or you can purchase them from the store. If you get over 20 then the extra ones go into your storage and when you die you refill your vials from your extra ones. Early on you want to get as many vials as possible as safely as possible however every encounter is designed to be beaten without using any vial so always try to play an encounter as if you don't have any vials (ie. Very cautiously).

You don't need insane gaming skills to beat these games... just patience and observation. There always online guides to help you along the way.
Damn, all those tips will help me a lot! I'll pick it up now then, very much appreciated as I doubt I would have figured most of that out alone, will help me right from the get go! Thanks mate.

RiggyRob

Episode 18. Pimmsy vs. Micolash, Host of the Nightmare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G58EIpKlXow

This fight was infuriating not only because Micolash refused to run into the rooms where he's supposed to go, but also because he kept spamming A Call Beyond, which is pretty hard to dodge in an enclosed space.

I do like the concept of the fight, it's really unique, just the constant teleporting makes it a little tedious to do.

So I bought this game when it launched, but I was on an internship and the hotel TV was terrible. I got up to the Blood-Starved Beast, but had a difficult with it and couldn't summon due to the network in the hotel, so I shelved it... until now. With help, I killed BSB without issue and I'm back into the game.

However, I do have a question. Does anyone else find it hard to know where you are in relation to other parts of the world? I'm a huge fan of previous Souls games and never had this issue. I always had a rough idea of how things connected into each other. While I think the locale is beautiful, it all kind of looks the same and blurs itself. Is this something that goes away after you play more?

However, I do have a question. Does anyone else find it hard to know where you are in relation to other parts of the world? I'm a huge fan of previous Souls games and never had this issue. I always had a rough idea of how things connected into each other. While I think the locale is beautiful, it all kind of looks the same and blurs itself. Is this something that goes away after you play more?
This will definately go away the more you play. I get what you mean, the first few hours playing the first area seems really dense and confusing, you'll soon learn the layout, plus the further you get the more varied the environments get - it's not all Victorian alleyways!

dan2026

Pretty sure this guy is supposed to attack me instead of sitting down like a derpy arsehole.

Bloodborne_20151213192528.png

SJRB

Gold Member
Good lord the blunderbuss-spamming Hunter in Cathedral Ward is infinitely harder than anything so far. What an asshole, haha.

I used to just avoid him but I tried taking him on, he's kicking my ass. I can't believe how much HP he has.

Jabronium

So I'm going through NG+, decided to go through the Chalice Dungeons, and just killed
Yharnam
. The only trophies I still need from the main game are: get all the weapons, and two of the endings. So...first, do I need to also complete the DLC trophies for the platinum? Second, is there an easy way to copy over a save file or something so you don't have to do 3 full playthroughs for the ending trophies?

So I'm going through NG+, decided to go through the Chalice Dungeons, and just killed
Yharnam
. The only trophies I still need from the main game are: get all the weapons, and two of the endings. So...first, do I need to also complete the DLC trophies for the platinum? Second, is there an easy way to copy over a save file or something so you don't have to do 3 full playthroughs for the ending trophies?
I feel pretty safe in saying you don't need DLC for platinum (though don't have confirmation).

To get all 3 endings on the same character, either use PS+ cloud save or save to USB save right up before the final boss(es) and do NOT eat the umbilcal cords (if you've already eaten 3, it's too late):

1. Speak to Gerhman, submit to him (he kills you)
2. Speak to Gerhman, do not submit to him (you fight him)
3. Eat 3 umbilical cords, do not submit to him, fight him then Moon Prescence

Reload the cloud/usb save after step 1 and 2.

I was in two minds as to whether to bother with the dlc on this as I would have to start again really, after thinking I might be a bit Soulsed out I thought screw it ill start another play through and see how I go, well let's just say experience counts for a lot, I've torn through the game up until Rom and have ventured a bit into the dlc and am do glad I have.

This game has its hooks back in me!

sikkinixx

After helping a few people beat it, I finally beat BSB in my game. Was actually easier on my own since it wasn't nearly as laggy.

My much Dark Souls I have a lot more fun when I co-op with people in new areas, learn the ropes while still gaining echoes/souls and then can run through it for real later on.

Kinda unsure where to go now, everything seems to be locked. Figured the prison would be where I need to be but... yeah... I got the hell outta there.

Jabronium

I feel pretty safe in saying you don't need DLC for platinum (though don't have confirmation).

To get all 3 endings on the same character, either use PS+ cloud save or save to USB save right up before the final boss(es) and do NOT eat the umbilcal cords (if you've already eaten 3, it's too late):

1. Speak to Gerhman, submit to him (he kills you)
2. Speak to Gerhman, do not submit to him (you fight him)
3. Eat 3 umbilical cords, do not submit to him, fight him then Moon Prescence

Reload the cloud/usb save after step 1 and 2.

Ok, thanks. I
killed Moon Presence
on my first playthrough, so no cords for me this time around. Time to go dust off my USB drive.

After 50 hours and countless deaths, I finally finished my first playthrough. What an incredible experience. There were so many impressive things in this game, both large and small, that it seems difficult to highlight them all.

The most memorable takeaway I have of this game is the visual, tonal, and mental increases in difficulty as the game progressed. Each area was so wonderfully designed as to feel more difficult than the areas preceding them. From Yharnam to the Forgotten Forest to Cainhurst to Nightmare Frontier; every area cranked up the challenge and demanded more from the player. Never did it feel unfair, something that most "difficult" games struggle to achieve.

I will say that, although Gehrman was difficult and took co-op to finish, Moon Presence was sort of a gimme and didn't close the game on that epic finish that I was expecting. Regardless, I jumped immediately into NG+ because I don't want to break away from this world just yet.

Blade of Mercy is completely missable right? I mean I never spoke to Eilleen, and when I saw her in the fight with another hunter, I killed them both. I looted her but I didn't get her badge.

Blade of Mercy is completely missable right? I mean I never spoke to Eilleen, and when I saw her in the fight with another hunter, I killed them both. I looted her but I didn't get her badge.

That's odd. I remember getting the badge my first playthrough when she died to Henryk. Are you sure you made sure to pick up both Henryk and Eileen's drops?

That's odd. I remember getting the badge my first playthrough when she died to Henryk. Are you sure you made sure to pick up both Henryk and Eileen's drops?

Maybe because I had summoned an npc (which I was originally going to use against Emilia) with me when I fought both of them? That could have broken it. I remember looting both their bodies and I remember being disappointed that I didn't get anything from Eilleen.

Or maybe because I never spoke to Eilleen at all before that fight.

manfestival

I did finally beat micolash honestly he is way easier than I made him out to be. Only took me about 8 tries before I stopped being an idiot

Dmax3901

So aside from the very start and BSB, I've been cruising along at my own steady pace.

This has changed over the last few days. I've hit a brick wall at both Ebrietas and Logarius. Both of these bosses are consistently wrecking me. Logarius I can see myself getting if I keep at it and work out exactly when to parry, but Ebrietas is just fucked.

myco666

It is completely missable but if you have killed her at any point you should still get it. If you don't have it you can get it pretty fast in NG+.

So aside from the very start and BSB, I've been cruising along at my own steady pace.

This has changed over the last few days. I've hit a brick wall at both Ebrietas and Logarius. Both of these bosses are consistently wrecking me. Logarius I can see myself getting if I keep at it and work out exactly when to parry, but Ebrietas is just fucked.

As long as you have enough Vit to survive Ebrietas charge attack it should be doable. That move has some serious issues and is probably hardest move to dodge in the entire game.

Dmax3901

As long as you have enough Vit to survive Ebrietas charge attack it should be doable. That move has some serious issues and is probably hardest move to dodge in the entire game.

The charge I can survive, it's getting close enough to do any damaged without getting chain-swiped by her tentacles that's giving me trouble.

With Logarius, the closest lantern is the first Cainhurst one right?

myco666

The charge I can survive, it's getting close enough to do any damaged without getting chain-swiped by her tentacles that's giving me trouble.

With Logarius, the closest lantern is the first Cainhurst one right?

What kind of build you have and what weapon? What I usually do is bait the headslam since if you hit the head you get some good damage in and chance of getting visceral attack.

Yep. No other lamps on the way there. Probably most annoying boss run ever since you will always take damage during it from that blow dart guy and the drop.

Ebriatas is annoying to get damage on. Going for the head I usually have the Saw Cleaver fully extended for most of the time for this fight because it's just so easy to miss her head otherwise, I guess big/long weapons would help.

I tend to stay mid-distance and go in when she slams down or flies up to reposition. Shooting her head keeps damage up at other times when you couldn't hit her head, a la Cleric Beast.

Dmax3901

What kind of build you have and what weapon? What I usually do is bait the headslam since if you hit the head you get some good damage in and chance of getting visceral attack.

Skill with a threaded cane at +9 and Ludwigs at +7 I think? Maybe +8. I did try doing exactly that, but was struggling to land hits on her head with the cane. Then I'd get charged.

Ebriatas is annoying to get damage on. Going for the head I usually have the Saw Cleaver fully extended for most of the time for this fight because it's just so easy to miss her head otherwise, I guess big/long weapons would help.

I tend to stay mid-distance and go in when she slams down or flies up to reposition. Shooting her head keeps damage up at other times when you couldn't hit her head, a la Cleric Beast.

Maybe I should try with Ludwig's. I've barely, if at all, leveled bloodtinge will that cause problems?

I guess I could always come back to them later, I haven't started exploring Nightmare Mensis or whatever it's called.

myco666

Skill with a threaded cane at +9 and Ludwigs at +7 I think? Maybe +8. I did try doing exactly that, but was struggling to land hits on her head with the cane. Then I'd get charged.

Maybe I should try with Ludwig's. I've barely, if at all, leveled bloodtinge will that cause problems?

I guess I could always come back to them later, I haven't started exploring Nightmare Mensis or whatever it's called.

Here is my Reiterpallasch strategy. It has really similiar moveset and range compared to Cane so it might be helpful. Exploring Mensis is also good idea since you get bunch of materials and really good gems from there.

Szadek

For Ebriatas I suggest:
-Use the Choir Set because it has the best arcane defence
-Get really close and try to dash behind her after she attacked
-If you still have trouble, join the League and summon the npc that's just before the boss.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Any suggestions for the weapons for an Arcane build?

Bloodtinge build?

My first build was a Strength/Skill build and I pretty much exclusively used Ludwigs.

RiggyRob

Bloodtinge build?

My first build was a Strength/Skill build and I pretty much exclusively used Ludwigs.

I went with the Tonitrus with Strength/Arcane and got a lot of mileage out of it as a lot of the more difficult enemies/bosses are weak to Bolt. Funnily enough Ludwig's Holy Blade is good for Arcane too with the right gems.

Szadek

Bloodtinge build?

Tonitrus (when it's self buffed) and Logarius' Wheel (when the weapon is transformed) secretly scale really well with the arcane stat.

Okay, so I'm in the Amygdala area and I just ran through it with some other people before taking a run myself. I have a load of souls on hand, but I'm afraid of leveling up because I don't want to get outta range of the people around me. I only completed the One Reborn area due to the help of someone who was vastly better than me (those 3 fuckboi hunters need to step off).

Right now I'm 55 running a STR build because I'm complete ass at the game.

She didn't seem too hard, but any tips for that area are appreciated!

Episode 18. Pimmsy vs. Micolash, Host of the Nightmare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G58EIpKlXow

This fight was infuriating not only because Micolash refused to run into the rooms where he's supposed to go, but also because he kept spamming A Call Beyond, which is pretty hard to dodge in an enclosed space.

I do like the concept of the fight, it's really unique, just the constant teleporting makes it a little tedious to do.
Micolash be like, "Great ones, give me your energy!"
pqvI7tr.jpg

You haven't lived till you get killed in mid air by that damn spell.

RiggyRob

NIGHTMARE SLAIN - Episode 19, Pimmsy vs. Mergo's Wet Nurse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tesJt8AmLGQ

For a Great One, Mergo's Wet Nurse is kinda lame fight-wise even though her design is superb. Also, Pimmsy's fight went exactly the same way as mine in that she never used her doppelganger attack at all - when I heard people having trouble I was like 'Really? She's not that hard', as shown by Pimmsy getting her on her first try.

Super Rifle Spear Lunge go!

Micolash be like, "Great ones, give me your energy!"
pqvI7tr.jpg

You haven't lived till you get killed in mid air by that damn spell.

I didn't know it was possible to jump into the rays, that strikes me as trying to show off when dodging it. There's a pretty big delay where you can still get hit even though you've head-slipped through it, which is kinda silly.

I didn't know it was possible to jump into the rays, that strikes me as trying to show off when dodging it. There's a pretty big delay where you can still get hit even though you've head-slipped through it, which is kinda silly.
Sometimes Micolash will charge up his spell before you even enter the ring and kill you as you're falling. I managed to watch that Tri Hunter fight, damage, she got fucking rushed in the beginning.

Top Bottom