• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

The Betrothal ring, It drop in chalices
Which chalice?
Just got through Hemwick and I think the Witch was the first disappointing boss I've faced so far. I appreciate that it was different than the rest, but ignoring the summons made it pretty trivial, though the twist with the additional witch got me and it took me a couple of tries to get through it. I want more giant beasts!

Gascoigne> BSB> Paarl> Amelia> Cleric Beast> Witches
You'll get to the giant shit, also go do the chalice dungeons as well since there are more bosses in there.

Ghazi

Abhorrent Beast has garbage hitboxes on his attacks. I get hit by his arm after his swing's finished all the time and it's hilarious.

I hate that they designed his wind up for his attacks to be intentionally misleading.

Abhorrent Beast has garbage hitboxes on his attacks. I get hit by his arm after his swing's finished all the time and it's hilarious.

I hate that they designed his wind up for his attacks to be intentionally misleading.

Yes, his infinite stamina is really something for nightmares, Dark Souls 2 nightmare

I honestly don't think it's hitboxes were garbage. :p
Dodge through it's attacks.

Just finished up all 3 endings. What an awesome game.

I'm now digging up all the bits of lore I can find (..on youtube). So many little details that I didn't realize in my playthrough.

Still have to finish off the chalice stuff, which I intend to do.

And maybe the DLC..

I'm pulling off good dodges. I always get clipped near the end of his life bar, though, and panic.

It's pretty rough.

You'll beat him. It took me a while to do it. After I did it, for some reason he became much easier on subsequent fights. Probably one I really enjoyed but to each their own. Also yeah, the phases he goes through as his health is lowered makes the fight harder as it goes along. Another thing I enjoyed. lol maybe I'm just crazy

FYC

Banned
Got to BSB and man... he was easy when I had an Old Hunter pal helping, then he killed it and I got destroyed. Not sure what I'm supposed to do here. I'd try Molotovs but he just moves too fast I don't think any of them would connect ever. Also is there a faster way to him? I have the ladder shortcut opened, but I have to run by the gatling gun guy and then through the town past all the wolf guys so it's kinda a long trek.

In addition to what others have said, if you have any Blood Cocktails, you can throw them in a corner and attack him while he's lured by them.

Just finished up all 3 endings. What an awesome game.

I'm now digging up all the bits of lore I can find (..on youtube). So many little details that I didn't realize in my playthrough.

Still have to finish off the chalice stuff, which I intend to do.

And maybe the DLC..

Sunrise ending FTW, lame the DLC didnt affect the main game outside some extra dialogue

Guys, I found the boss that is my wall: Laurence. I platinumed this game way back in April and the only other boss to give me this much trouble was the Pthumerian Descendant. I cannot kill Laurence for the life of me. I guarantee that if I fought him in a wide open area in the chalice dungeons I'd destroy him. But, Laurence is difficult for me. This is what I get for making fun of the Cleric Beast.

Ghazi

You'll beat him. It took me a while to do it. After I did it, for some reason he became much easier on subsequent fights. Probably one I really enjoyed but to each their own. Also yeah, the phases he goes through as his health is lowered makes the fight harder as it goes along. Another thing I enjoyed. lol maybe I'm just crazy
I'm sure. I like to bitch about this game a lot, but I really love it. There isn't anything else out there like it, and it tops Souls games for me.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yes, his infinite stamina is really something for nightmares, Dark Souls 2 nightmare

He's one of the best boss fights in the series, I like his infinite stamina, fighting him is so intense, and he has the best soundtrack in the game (borrowed from Darkest Paarl).

NexusCell

Has anybody here been having trouble with Orphan of Kos? I barely got him to his second phase and he's now always straight up slaughtering me. Any tips on if he has any weaknesses to Bolt or Fire?

Dmax3901

So I just went to go try Defiled Shitdog of the old Shits again and there was this new summon point for some NPC called the queen hunter or something? I swear he was not there before and he was super helpful. Still can't kill the dog but I got damn close whereas before I sucked hard.

Melchiah

Is there a reason to visit Cainhurst on NG+? I ran through it on NG and it was the one area that took me forever aside from Ebrietas. I planned to skip both this playthrough.

You can get some Blood Chunks from there. It's pretty easy and fast to go through on NG+, if you just avoid the Bloodlickers and skip the boss.

Where the hell do you even find that ring? Cainhurst is awesome, I never skip that place. I usually never skip an area when I play the game, even on NG+.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Ring+of+Betrothal
Can be found in Pthumeru Ihyll Root chalice dungeon using fetid offering with this glyph 5bfq7tyk

barit

Yo I've just played Bloodborne again after almost a year off. Got my ass kicked three times from some NPC Hunter at the cathedral and immediately ragequit. Yep I'm playing Bloodborne ;P

Cairnsay

Banned
Yo I've just played Bloodborne again after almost a year off. Got my ass kicked three times from some NPC Hunter at the cathedral and immediately ragequit. Yep I'm playing Bloodborne ;P

I was in a similar boat a week ago, coming back after 9 months away. I would recommend hitting some easier areas/chalice dungeons first. Helped me get my groove back, before pushing on with the game.

barit

I was in a similar boat a week ago, coming back after 9 months away. I would recommend hitting some easier areas/chalice dungeons first. Helped me get my groove back, before pushing on with the game.

Good idea. Now that I've bought the addon I really need to get back into the mood for it. I'm still fascinated how I could beat that game last year haha

So I just went to go try Defiled Shitdog of the old Shits again and there was this new summon point for some NPC called the queen hunter or something? I swear he was not there before and he was super helpful. Still can't kill the dog but I got damn close whereas before I sucked hard.
They added a bunch of NPC summons in the Chalice Dungeons with the big DLC-ready patch.

Never really had a problem with the Watchdog after the first time. Just stay mid-distance in front of it and bait the sideways swipes, wait until the point in it's animation when it won't do a follow up, get a hit in, drop back, rinse and repeat. The charge is like Ebriatas etc, lock off and dodge to the left. Walk backwards with the multiple forward bites, you can get a hit in at the end of that too - it reminds me a lot of Sanctuary Guardian's combo, similar tactics.

You're not the only one, he's one of my favorites as well. Fighting him is like a dance, dodging in and out precisely is just so tense and fun.
You can get some Blood Chunks from there. It's pretty easy and fast to go through on NG+, if you just avoid the Bloodlickers and skip the boss.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Ring+of+Betrothal
One does not simply skip Martyr Logarius. I always fight that dude.

Atkison04

Alright, I've been playing thru the old hunters dlc, and I think I screwed myself out of the balcony key in the research hall area. This http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Balcony+Key to be exact. I gave adeline the three brain fluids, and I got the rune, but no balcony key. Is there any other way to get out there? I must have skipped dialogue after the second brain fluid. I really don't want to go ng++ just to get that spell :/

Edit: I already killed adeline in my game. She is just a glop on the floor that I can't talk to.

Same here, but beating him doesn't give you anything you need on NG+.
It gives me a nice thrill fighting him on NG+, that's usually good enough for me. Granted I'm the nut bag that runs through the chalices or at least as many as I can put up with when I roll a new character.

Melchiah

It gives me a nice thrill fighting him on NG+, that's usually good enough for me. Granted I'm the nut bag that runs through the chalices or at least as many as I can put up with when I roll a new character.

Heh, I only went through some of the chalices again to increase my chances against the DLC's last boss.

I think my work is trying to tell me something...

getgid2zqksa.png

Laurence
is giving me a really hard time. Only boss left for me, but I'm on NG++ and he hits like a truck. Doesn't help that the room he's in is fairly small, given his size.

What a game though. Best of the gen for me. Close to the Platinum now, but part of me wants to go through it again with one of those awesome DLC weapons, despite my backlog.

Got the plat a few weeks back and i still come here to read and just dive into the lore. I really really hope they come back with a bloodborne 2. Its the best game ive played in a really long time.

Beat Father G today on my second try and have progressed on. I made my way to the guy with the gun on top of a church, climbed the ladder and initiated a fight with him but he fell off lol. Seems like I've got a few different ways to go now and look forward to exploring later this week.

I do have a few questions if somebody wouldn't mind answering:

1. I have a lot of tempering stones that are the same, should I sell stuff in this game or hoard everything?
2. There is a desk in the hunters dream that I apparently do not have what I need to activate it yet, does this come through natural progression, or have I missed something?

Thanks for any help.

BumRush

Beat Father G today on my second try and have progressed on. I made my way to the guy with the gun on top of a church, climbed the ladder and initiated a fight with him but he fell off lol. Seems like I've got a few different ways to go now and look forward to exploring later this week.

1. I have a lot of tempering stones that are the same, should I sell stuff in this game or hoard everything?
2. There is a desk in the hunters dream that I apparently do not have what I need to activate it yet, does this come through natural progression, or have I missed something?

Thanks for any help.

1. The stones sell for peanuts but you might want to sell the lower level ones later since you're going to end up with a ton. Don't yet though.

2. You have not missed this yet. Don't want to spoil anything but don't worry you're good.

I went through enough of the dlc at level low 40 something to get the beast and pizza cutter and Boom Hammer. I must say I'm proud of myself. The hunters take like 4 viscerals to put down, holy shit. You have to play really cautious and smart in that place. It was tense fun, but once I gut the Whirligig Saw I got the fuck out of there. I now have a +5 Whirligig and I haven't even entered the woods yet, yes!!!

I didn't feel like exploring the forest further today so I messed around with co-op after joining the League. Helped people slay BSB a bunch of times, got the bucket head, and beat the hunter that shows up by the Forest Lamp. Had a ton of fun along the way, what an awesome multiplayer experience, it's good to know I can always do that to relax a little bit if my single player experience is stressing me out. I know I'm super late to this, but what an awesome game.

I went through enough of the dlc at level low 40 something to get the beast and pizza cutter and Boom Hammer. I must say I'm proud of myself. The hunters take like 4 viscerals to put down, holy shit. You have to play really cautious and smart in that place. It was tense fun, but once I gut the Whirligig Saw I got the fuck out of there. I now have a +5 Whirligig and I haven't even entered the woods yet, yes!!!

I didnt venture myself in the DLC until 60 on one of my alts, the hunter guarding the ladder with crows is kicking me hard

I didn't feel like exploring the forest further today so I messed around with co-op after joining the League. Helped people slay BSB a bunch of times, got the bucket head, and beat the hunter that shows up by the Forest Lamp. Had a ton of fun along the way, what an awesome multiplayer experience, it's good to know I can always do that to relax a little bit if my single player experience is stressing me out. I know I'm super late to this, but what an awesome game.

Your league gesture changes when you finish the sidequest, be sure to kill all those vermins

I didnt venture myself in the DLC until 60 on one of my alts, the hunter guarding the ladder with crows is kicking me hard
Oh god, that fucker, yeah I hate him a lot. I think I only died once at least. I can reliably parry them, but the trick is luring him away from the crows. Even still it took several parries to kill him. Skill level of like 15 isn't cutting it in there. I'm not going back in till much later since I got the weapons I care about. I don't really care about the Amy arm so it can stay there till later.

Fhtagn

My arcane focused run is getting annoying. I was doing pathetic damage with a fire beast cutter, so I leveled up 7 more levels to use a Ludwig's holy blade, and now I'm still doing pathetic damage with a LHB+6 and two fire runes, with a +6 Tonitrus as my secondary....

And I'm still doing 50-250 damage except to stuff especially weak to fire or bolt. The hunter in bergynwerth was taking 51 damage from the small sword version of LHB. And 81 from the Tonitrus. I killed her though after a few tries, using Beast Roar to extend combos and visceral attacking as much as possible.

My arcane stat is 30. I know I'm NG+ this character will clean up with blacksky eye and a call from beyond and 99 arcane, but right now it's a bit of a slog. This aspect of the game is very weirdly balanced compared to my saw cleaver str/skl run.

My arcane focused run is getting annoying. I was doing pathetic damage with a fire beast cutter, so I leveled up 7 more levels to use a Ludwig's holy blade, and now I'm still doing pathetic damage with a LHB+6 and two fire runes, with a +6 Tonitrus as my secondary....

And I'm still doing 50-250 damage except to stuff especially weak to fire or bolt. The hunter in bergynwerth was taking 51 damage from the small sword version of LHB. And 81 from the Tonitrus. I killed her though after a few tries, using Beast Roar to extend combos and visceral attacking as much as possible.

My arcane stat is 30. I know I'm NG+ this character will clean up with blacksky eye and a call from beyond and 99 arcane, but right now it's a bit of a slog. This aspect of the game is very weirdly balanced compared to my saw cleaver str/skl run.

I feel there is not early dedicated arcane gameplay, mostly str with skll but arcane not so much unless you kill Eileen to get BoM still the BoM didnt shine so much without skill.

The DLC kinda tries to fix it but the skill cap to reach those weapon is a little high

Finished the game, what to do next?

1. Grind chalice dungeons for the platinum
2. New game+
3. Get the DLC
4. Go to Dark Souls

Can't decide. ~_~

Get the DLC and then bounce between options 1-3.

Sounds reasonable. I've basically stuck with ludwig's holy blade for most of the game (and sometimes the saw cleaver). If I went NG+ is it pretty feasible to go for something new, like the blades of mercy, burial blade or logarius's wheel?

Getting bored of the holy blade, and I'm specced for a quality build. I don't think I've put any points in BT or arcane.

If you're not mixing arcane with another stat like skill or strength, yeah it takes a while to see results. First thing I did on my arcane run was rush to get the augur of ebreitas as soon as it became nighttime. I haven't relied on the beast roar too much, my main tools are always oil urns, augur, a call and now the black eye.

Couldn't help uploading more bb videos. Some of my hardest bosses have become a joke with the pizza cutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9hNTqLlfNI

Oil urns and a fire pizza cutter takes care of this fucker quick. I killed it 6 times to get the best bolt gem in the game. Earlier I couldn't handle the phtumerian elder, but equipped with the black eye and the pizza cutter, guy's another joke.

Was messing around and met Martyr Logarius, I managed to hit him once before he wiped me out, I think I'm done for the night but I'm looking forward to the fight.

Just beat the game on my first offline blind playthrough. I'm sure I missed half the game cause I finished in 23 hours.

Last boss was incredibly frustrating until I figured out all of the tricks to him, well the ones I figured out to beat him. Not quite Gwyn level of awesome fight, but I think the fact of Gwyn being who he is and who he was, what he is doing, and that music just make that fight incredible.

I thought the game was great. Little disappointed in the length, and the ending made absolutely no sense, even for a Souls standpoint. I'm sure Vaati will teach me all about it now though.

myco666

Now get that thing to +9 before fighting any boss. Going through the DLC at low levels is pain in the ass and I didn't even care fighting the enemies when I got access to the DLC. Just made the run for weapons and materials. Party cave was really something when you just run in.

Thanks for any help.

I would just sell all those bad stones that are under 1%. You don't really do anyhing with them and they end up cluttering your inventory.

Melchiah

Just beat the game on my first offline blind playthrough. I'm sure I missed half the game cause I finished in 23 hours.

Last boss was incredibly frustrating until I figured out all of the tricks to him, well the ones I figured out to beat him. Not quite Gwyn level of awesome fight, but I think the fact of Gwyn being who he is and who he was, what he is doing, and that music just make that fight incredible.

I thought the game was great. Little disappointed in the length, and the ending made absolutely no sense, even for a Souls standpoint. I'm sure Vaati will teach me all about it now though.

Huh, that's pretty fast for a first playthrough. It took me 82 hours, but I did go with online guides to access all the optional content.

I liked all the endings, but I just wish they had more lengthy and rewarding closing video sequences. The DLC ending was more disappointing to me in that regard.

myco666

Huh, that's pretty fast for a first playthrough. It took me 82 hours, but I did go with online guides to access all the optional content.

I liked all the endings, but I just wish they had more lengthy and rewarding closing video sequences. The DLC ending was more disappointing to me in that regard.

82 hours? Just for getting from start to end? That is pretty long for this game. I think I got through the game in 30-40 hours with everything done aside from Chalices the first time through.

Top Bottom