• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

Uthred

Berlin is a part of Gehrmany, and he's best friends with Wilhelm.

So anyway, if you look at it, it think it's safe to say that the spiders/anything with tons of eyes was ascended (Rom, Amygdala, mobs), while Ebreitas, Moon Presence, Mergo's Wetnurse, etc are OG Great Ones. Don't know where that puts Celestial Emmisary though.

I would assume Moon Presence is a Great One though, although there's nothing really sea-creaturey about it, it has more similarities with the messengers and The One Reborn. But the One Reborn doesn't make sense anyway.

The Celestial Emmisary is explicitly a Great One according to the game though, whereas the Moon Presence isnt ever referred to as a Great One (unless I've missed something?). I do agree that Ebreitas and Mergo's WN do seem to be OG Great Ones. Though it is implied that Ebreitas is the daughter of Kos which would seem to indicate that Kos isnt a Great One, which makes sense given the analogies to the Cthulhu mythos. In short Great Ones are akin to the mythos Great Old Ones (Cthulhu, etc.) while Kos is akin to the Outer Gods (Azathoth specifically). Going with that I'd suggest the Moon Presence is an avatar/servitor of Kos, a semi-sentient avenue to ascenscion via transformation of a petitioner with a full umbilical cord into a new Great One.

The Celestial Emmisary is explicitly a Great One according to the game though, whereas the Moon Presence isnt ever referred to as a Great One (unless I've missed something?). I do agree that Ebreitas and Mergo's WN do seem to be OG Great Ones. Though it is implied that Ebreitas is the daughter of Kos which would seem to indicate that Kos isnt a Great One, which makes sense given the analogies to the Cthulhu mythos. In short Great Ones are akin to the mythos Great Old Ones (Cthulhu, etc.) while Kos is akin to the Outer Gods (Azathoth specifically). Going with that I'd suggest the Moon Presence is an avatar/servitor of Kos, a semi-sentient avenue to ascenscion via transformation of a petitioner with a full umbilical cord into a new Great One.
Ooh, that makes sense. That would explain why you're kinda sluggy looking like Erbreitas, yeah? But there has to be another way to ascend from Kos right? Unless Rom killed the moon presence or whatever too.

Oh and I inow it says Celestial Em is a great one, but doesn't it seem like a third party? Like its just doing its own thing, and may be wrecking/taking over/impersonating people like Iosafka. Like nobody really prays to it either, it just shows up in a garden or in the woods (it doesn't have statues or its own lair like Erbreitas) and as far as I know there's no lore on it. It seems to be (pushed on by the whole "Emmissary" thing) that they're recent arrivals.

So like Kos is a god sort of thing, but any powerful being would classify as a great one, which is why Rom counts as one too.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
we better be killing Kos in the DLC with the help of Laurence the Milky-way-walker or I'm gonna be so pissed From

Uthred

Has any DLC being rumoured or are we just assuming given FROM's track record? While I'm generally not the biggest fan of massive DLC's soon after launch I need me some more Bloodborne

Ooh, that makes sense. That would explain why you're kinda sluggy looking like Erbreitas, yeah? But there has to be another way to ascend from Kos right? Unless Rom killed the moon presence or whatever too.

Oh and I inow it says Celestial Em is a great one, but doesn't it seem like a third party? Like its just doing its own thing, and may be wrecking/taking over/impersonating people like Iosafka. Like nobody really prays to it either, it just shows up in a garden or in the woods (it doesn't have statues or its own lair like Erbreitas) and as far as I know there's no lore on it. It seems to be (pushed on by the whole "Emmissary" thing) that they're recent arrivals.

So like Kos is a god sort of thing, but any powerful being would classify as a great one, which is why Rom counts as one too.

Rom would seem to indicate that perhaps direct petitioning to Kos to become an Old One does work, or he could have ascended via the Moon Presence - the decription of the 1/3 umbilical cord in the old workshop seems to say the moon presence has been called three times, if we assume the first was Yharnama and the third was Gherman's wife/daughter then that leaves the second one, which may be how Rom "got his eyes" (which seems to be one of the cord of eyes functions). I do agree that the Celestial Emissary feels sort of out of place and as you say Great One may just be a label for a certain power level/"insight level" rather than a specific species identifier.

i was just thinking, why can we get extra bullets through hp sacrifice?

"Special bullets used with hunter firearms.

Ordinary bullets have no effect on beasts, and so Quicksilver Bullets, fused with the wielder's own blood, must be employed.

The strength of Quicksilver Bullets depends greatly upon the wielder's bloodtinge."

the description says that bullets and blood have to be mixed to be effective
so, where the heck are we taking them from?

Astral

I thought laurence's skull is the skull on the altar in the grand cathedral. he failed to fear the old blood.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. I thought so too when I saw that. I also assumed Amelia was his lover or was at least mourning him. Who knows, maybe they can make us time travel or something. He just feels like someone the game will use again in the future.

Uthred

The basic 20 bullets are bullets you augemented with blood before hand, the ones you get with HP sacrifice are you mixing your blood with bullets "in the field"?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
DS2's DLC dropped like..4 months after release, no? But it was announced shortly after DS2's release iirc

I remember From talking about an underwater LEVEL in one of their videos, but I could be mistaken. So, we might potentially get that in the DLC!

Rom was hardly underwater, let alone 'level'.

DS2's DLC dropped like..4 months after release, no? But it was announced shortly after DS2's release iirc

I remember From talking about an underwater LEVEL in one of their videos, but I could be mistaken. So, we might potentially get that in the DLC!

Rom was hardly underwater, let alone 'level'.

I'm suddenly very hyped for a big old slobberknocker with Not-Cthulu.....

One thing in this post that I think is a little more clear:

The trophy description when you achieve the true ending says that you usher humanity into its next infancy, implying that you're sending humanity into a new era. Presumably if your character was noble—and this probably depends on your personal interpretation of your character and thus follows your own imagination—it will be a peaceful era.

Souls games basically give you a chance for a bittersweet ending, and I think part of Miyazaki's philosophy is to offer a cathartic option where you feel you see an ending worthy of your achievements in the game. Is there anything better than eternal squid-on-doll sex while you watch over your peaceful children from godhood? Yeah... Didn't think so.
some quality rule 34 ideas you are presenting
Oh yeah I forgot about that. I thought so too when I saw that. I also assumed Amelia was his lover or was at least mourning him. Who knows, maybe they can make us time travel or something. He just feels like someone the game will use again in the future.
amelia's transformation was sad. Especially how she continues to clutch the...was it a pocket watch...even once she turned

I had no idea this was a thing. Sweet!

This knowledge with blood rapture would have made the game a lot easier haha

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Yharnam doesn't seem to be a great one, so I'd say she was used as a surrogate mother for an infant great one (Mergo) who was taken from her and placed in the care of the Wet Nurse (an actual great one, according to its trophy).

But Mergo is still inside her when you fight her in the Chalice Dungeon

But Mergo is still inside her when you fight her in the Chalice Dungeon

Well when i was fighting her i noticed you couldn't be grabbed by the magic unless the baby is crying, so maybe the baby is already an alien/great one.
Possibly the reason she has blood powers is that she has a great one in her

Virdix

I thought laurence's skull is the skull on the altar in the grand cathedral. he failed to fear the old blood.
I found this interesting, especiallu since Vicar Amelia says "seek the old blood" she is a leader of the church yet their sacred adage is "fear the old blood". What happened.

I dunno if anyone mentioned this, but the trophy for the True Ending on PSN says, "you became an infant Great one and returned humanity to its childhood." or something like that

Espada

I found this interesting, especiallu since Vicar Amelia says "seek the old blood" she is a leader of the church yet their sacred adage is "fear the old blood". What happened.

Obviously the message to fear the old blood got lost along the way, like some horrible game of telephone over the years.

Coconut

Banned
I dunno if anyone mentioned this, but the trophy for the True Ending on PSN says, "you became an infant Great one and returned humanity to its childhood." or something like that

So it's the evangelion ending?

Is their any in game logic to why several of the alien guys are wandering around the forbidden woods?

Stare-Bear

Banned
Has anyone found any meanings behind any of the words used in the game? I found out that "Mensis" can mean ''moon" or "month", which is fitting. There are probably a lot more to be found.

Uthred

So it's the evangelion ending?

Is their any in game logic to why several of the alien guys are wandering around the forbidden woods?

The blue mushroom heads? I dont think theyre "legit" extra-terrestrials I think theyre warped humans, Impostor Iosfeka at least can turn people into them and its heavily implied she's a choir member and theyre all over the Choir area as well. So its likely the Choir can change people into them as well. No as to why theyre just in that little crevasse? No idea. At first I thought they were mushroom people so it sort of made sense to me, but post Iosfeak's backroom and the choir area it doesnt make a lot of sense.

Though then again the snake-heads dont seem to really be linked into anything other than a cool monster theme for that area. So some stuff might be there just because its cool/horrific

Has anyone found any meanings behind any of the words used in the game? I found out that "Mensis" can mean ''moon" or "month", which is fitting. There are probably a lot more to be found.

Mergo is the present active of the latin verb to figuratively conceal or suppress (or to literally plunge into (water). Amygdala is the part of the brain dealing with the processing of memory, decision-making, and emotional reactions. Gherman is a cognate of the German Hermann meaning warrior or soldier. Most of the normal names dont seem to have any real significane, Willem is a derivative of William meaning resolute protector. Laurence is a derivative of Laurentius which means crowned with Laurel (maybe some pride hubris tie ins? But that seems tenuous), etc. Unless Micholash is a reference to Mikulás, the Hungarian version of Saint Nicholas, you bastards killed Santa!

Virdix

Obviously the message to fear the old blood got lost along the way, like some horrible game of telephone over the years.
I wouldnt say "obviously" but thanks for thinking so.

Im assuming Paleblood is actually the moon presence based upon a note on Nightmare Lecture Hall Floor 2

"The nameless moon preaence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood."

So if we run with that we are essentially told to seek out the moon presence to transcend the hunt or move past it and break the cycle from the beginning of the game. Which fully explains why IMO the reborn as a great one ending is the "true" ending to the game.

Maybe the other "endings" or at least accepting Gehrman's offer is more like failing the very first thing the game tells you to do.

Finalow

fear the old blood. BY THE GODS, fear it, Laurence.

it all sounds very interesting but I didn't spend too much time (which I don't have right now) on reading all the item descriptions over and over again and formulating theories.
there is some interesting stuff in this thread too, OP should be updated.

there's still the beast transformation which noone has yet been able to do. I'm hoping there's some cool stuff when you approach some bosses/NPC's in beast form.
nope, beast mode doesn't exist. confirmed by people that worked on the guide. I know that it sucks but at least the weapon that uses the "beast bar" is really cool.

Alchemy

What I don't get, is that in some places hunters are trying to protect the monsters like it is some passing thing or the monsters are innocent animals like when you enter Old Yarnham and encounter Djura:

"You there, hunter. Didn't you see the warning? Turn back at once."
"Old Yharnam, burned and abandoned by men, is now home only to beasts."
"They are of no harm to those above. Turn back..."
"...or the hunter will face the hunt."

Plus you generally have a lot of hostility from hunters that pop up throughout the game trying to stop you. It makes feel like they're aware of something we as the player are not, and I don't think they're necessarily corrupted or crazy as they all look fairly normal. Kinda like the player is the odd person out.

Makes me question if any of the player's actions are positive in nature for the world. Like the only way to really win was to not continue The Hunt.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Correct me if i'm wrong but that is Cainhurst Castle right?
bloodborne_2015040219fflzq.jpg

Uthred

What I don't get, is that in some places hunters are trying to protect the monsters like it is some passing thing or the monsters are innocent animals like when you enter Old Yarnham and encounter Djura:

Old Yharnam is populated by people who have fallen fully to the Ashen Plague, everyone you kill there was a human who got sick and became a beast. Theyre the only people in Old Yharnam, which is sealed off from everywhere else. So Djura is basically right, you rock into Old Yharnam and start slaughtering "innocent" beasts. The hostility of the other hunters is likely because, based on stuff Eileen says and what happens with Henryk, because theyve gone mental.

Correct me if i'm wrong but that is Cainhurst Castle right?

Its pretty cool how interconnected the world is physically, if you go to the end of the broken bridge in Cainhurst you can see the various areas of Yharnam like the Grand Cathedral and such

todd360

Im assuming Paleblood is actually the moon presence based upon a note on Nightmare Lecture Hall Floor 2

"The nameless moon preaence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood."

So if we run with that we are essentially told to seek out the moon presence to transcend the hunt or move past it and break the cycle from the beginning of the game. Which fully explains why IMO the reborn as a great one ending is the "true" ending to the game.

Maybe the other "endings" or at least accepting Gehrman's offer is more like failing the very first thing the game tells you to do.

OK now this a great post. I feel like we're finally gaining some insight.

bobawesome

It's like the Eclipse in Berserk...

They were always present but existed on a different plane and when the barrier shattered after killing Rom you could see them as clear as day.

shocked.gif

I've beaten the game four times but never thought of it like that.

Uthred

While we the player are told to seek out Paleblood the actual character has come to Yharnam looking for Paleblood, which wouldnt really make sense as they arent part of the Hunt (in the sense of the Hunt being a particular dream reality brought about by Gherman's meeting with the Moon Presence) or any particular cycle at that point.

found gherman sleeping in the back of the dream house, lol never noticed him in my first run
he was speaking about laurence while asleep

LiK

i'm gonna see what happens if i attack Gherman when he's sleeping in NG+. will it end my game? or is he gonna revive?

Virdix

While we the player are told to seek out Paleblood the actual character has come to Yharnam looking for Paleblood, which wouldnt really make sense as they arent part of the Hunt (in the sense of the Hunt being a particular dream reality brought about by Gherman's meeting with the Moon Presence) or any particular cycle at that point.
Fair enough, i was just playing through NG+ and saw that note, it just seemed to click.

i'm gonna see what happens if i attack Gherman when he's sleeping in NG+. will it end my game? or is he gonna revive?

I killed him on NG+ and it just left a note on the ground that said "ascend to Oedon Chapel" probably changes depending on when you do it.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Yeah ENB confirmed it in a video

Its pretty cool how interconnected the world is physically, if you go to the end of the broken bridge in Cainhurst you can see the various areas of Yharnam like the Grand Cathedral and such

Feels weird because the Castle is in a pretty cold location. Looking from that image it doesn't look like it.

He doesn't die, just disappears until you come back to the Dream.

Basic Timeline:

-Phtumeran civilization flourishes after making contact with Great One Ebreitas. Blood ministration discovered, civilization collapses in the wake of the birth of the new Great One Mergo, sired by Queen Yharnam (white dress lady). Great Ones cannot birth their own Children, a surrogate must be chosen.

-City of Yharnam begins, built over top of Pthumeran civilization. Scholars at the college of Byrgenwerth (Willem, Laurence, Gherman, Rom) delve deep into the ruins, searching for secrets of the race. They make first contact with Ebreitas, who teaches them blood ministration.

-Willem and the others attempt to beseech the Great Ones for power and insight. Rom is transformed into an immature Great One, but Willem is unsatisfied with the results.

-Laurence and Gherman split from Byrgenwerth and found The Healing Church, dedicated to studying and administering blood ministration. It's discovered to basically be a panacea and The Church, and Yharnam, flourish. It's not without side effects. The Plague of Beasts is discovered and The Hunt is founded. At this point the Church has split into 3 groups: The Doctors, The Hunters (led by Gherman) and the Choir. They are dedicated to blood ministration study, the Hunt, and the study of the cosmos/Great Ones respectively. A secret society known as Mensis grows within the ranks of the Choir, dedicated to summoning or creating their own Great One.

-The Hunts begin to grow worse and worse as the plague spreads, culminating in the first Blood Moon. Blood Moons are the time when circumstances are correct for a Great One to be born, and causes a violent reaction in the Blood resulting in a greater number of Beasts. The situation grows so dire that The Church quarantined Old Yharnam, and burnt it to the ground to stop the Beasts. Gherman's wife/daughter dies, having been chosen as a Great One surrogate mother, and his grief is absolute. He goes mad, constructing the doll, and is enraptured in the Nightmare by a Great One called The Moon Presence.

-Willem uses Vacuous Rom, now grown but no more useful to him, to seal the Blood Moon and the boundary between Nightmare and Yharnam. He then tries one last ditch effort to gain insight by putting eyes on his brain. Whatever that entails, it doesn't work, and Willem is left a gibbering wreck while the school continues without him.

-Byrgenworth scholars continue with increasingly dangerous and foolhardy attempts to commune with Great Ones. Byrgenworth ends up summoning Great One Amygdala, in the process losing their lecture hall to Nightmare. The Church seals the path to the now abandoned school and forbids entry.

-Mensis begins blood sacrifice rituals to prepare to summon a Great One.

-You arrive in Yharnam, and receive blood ministration. The Hunt begins again.

This is very well constructed. I like this timeline. How well does it coincide with notes and empirical evidence found within the game though? Alot of this seems like it can only technically be speculation. I'm attempting to collect everything and the game even one off items and not use them so I can catalog and then we can draw all the parallels and back then up with visual evidence. We need a link, maybe an editable Google doc that can only be seen by Gaf members by quoting to collect info in a more organized manner.

So i was doing the Pthumeru Chalice dungeons today(for the boss trophy).Managed to get to the last one(where Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen is) and i saw the requirements to make it

25 Arcane Haze

2 Red Jelly (found in 1st floor Lecture Building inside a chest)

1 Living String (by killing Mother Brain)

I saw the desciptions of the bolded items and found it interesting:

Red Jelly:

"Material used in a Holy Chalice ritual.

Stillborn infants born of a creature of unknown origin, of the type found in some corners of the old labyrinth.
"

Living String:

"Special material used in a holy chalice ritual.

The immense brain that Mensis retrieved from the nightmare was indeed lined with eyes on the inside, but they were of an evil sort, and the brain itself was terrible rotten.

But even still, it was a legitimate Great One, and left a relic. A living relic, at that, which is a precious thing indeed.
"

From the first item i get that they resemble (even the icon is disturbing) the stillborn child from Yharnam (she's queen of the Old Labyrinth after all) and the unknown entity is a Great One?

From the second item i get that Mother Brain is actually the remains of a Great One?

Also i think i read somewhere about lined eyes with brain regarding Master Willem...

Also who is Mensis?

Langobalt

Neo Member

That was different from what I tought.

Maybe it's me being dumb as a non native speaker. but I saw it more like a list if you combined with the other note in the room.

Together it went: "The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood.Third chord."

It seemed like it was naming a list of what was necessary for Laurence's ritual, so I saw it as the paleblood being the player. (Maybe meaning the note at the very beginning was for whoever "kidnapping" you as seeking the paleblood to transcend the hunt.

Afrodium

Banned
With all this talk of Paleblood it's important to note that our character came to Yharnam already seeking it. The first line of the game, spoken by the mysterious man in the wheelchair, is:

"Oh yes... Paleblood... Well you've come to the right place. Yharnam is home to blood ministration."

So it's not the note in the clinic that tells us to seek Paleblood, it's the entire reason we're in Yharnam in the first place. If Paleblood is some type of person or cosmic God/baby then our character was already aware of these beings. However, this line implies that Paleblood is a type of blood, and that Yharnam is where it can be found (unless the man in the wheelchair doesn't even know what it is and assumes it's a type of blood).

Gilbert doesn't know what Paleblood is, despite being a Yharnam resident, which makes it seem like whatever it is isn't common knowledge.

Uthred

oh so cool :)

Thanks guys.Now I have an incentive to play NG+...Hated the high health tank enemies ,but that weapon is worth it.

You dont need to go into NG+, just eat the three umbilical cords and beat Gherman, when the Moon Presence shows up you can use the item that lets you port back to a lamp to port back to the Hunters dream and buy Ghermans weapon and armour then.

Top Bottom