• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

ElFly

I wouldn't read too much in the location of Ebrietas in the trailer.

Chances are, her current boss arena just wasn't ready when that trailer was put together.

Oh, yes... Paleblood...

576px-Slaapbol_R0017601.JPG

Cut these and they bleed white kin blood. Get some of that mixed up in your red beast blood and anyone can talk to God and sing with the Angels in the Choir.

w00zey

If you really can't kill Rom, I made this video showing a strategy that will get him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Lig-fcYXg

It's basically risk free, but you have to have enough Bone Marrow Ash to pull it off, enough blood vials to heal, the cannon, and 30 strength with which to wield the cannon.

wow the cannon does a ton of damage.

My strategy was to kill all of the first set of spiders because Rom won't attack. Then use fire paper and get him down as much as you can. After that just avoid the spiders and keep attacking him. In the end he shifts a few times but it wasn't too bad. Especially since it seems like when you get within a certain distance from him he won't shoot the missles in the air. Instead just look out for his roll that does the aoe damage and run back in. Patience was key.

Cosmic horror is just about opioids.

People used to get funky with plants and see some things, true. I was visually referencing the blue flower field in the Upper Cathedral Ward and the design of the Celestial Emissary and accompanying mobs. Also, like ShockingAlberto pointed out, they got "Inebriated" Daughter of the Cosmos down in the cellar. It's opium ya dopes!

autotwilo

Neo Member
Well I guess since the wet nurse was holding the baby (Which I'm assuming is Mergo) when you killed her, the baby died too. So I guess the point onward from Rom was to kill Mergo.

The baby keeps crying after the wet nurse is dead, with a longish delay to allow you to ring the tiny music box. I haven't done it myself but my understanding is that the baby will start laughing if you do that (before "Nightmare Defeated") so I don't think we killed it.

Coconut

Banned
People used to get funky with plants and see some things, true. I was visually referencing the blue flower field in the Upper Cathedral Ward and the design of the Celestial Emissary and accompanying mobs. Also, like ShockingAlberto pointed out, they got "Inebriated" Daughter of the Cosmos down in the cellar. It's opium ya dopes!

I guess a thing that also would happen in the early Victorian era is the upper crust would have parties where people would drink hemlock stop just short of an amount that would kill you just to get hella fucked up, apparently during one of these hemlock hallucination parties is where Mary Shelley got the idea for Frankenstein.

Coconut

Banned
The baby keeps crying after the wet nurse is dead, with a longish delay to allow you to ring the tiny music box. I haven't done it myself but my understanding is that the baby will start laughing if you do that (before "Nightmare Defeated") so I don't think we killed it.

Also a weird thing that happens is when you go back to the queen after that fight when she disappears she sort of bows at you as if thanking you for killing the wet nurse.

I guess a thing that also would happen in the early Victorian era is the upper crust would have parties where people would drink hemlock stop just short of an amount that would kill you just to get hella fucked up, apparently during one of these hemlock hallucination parties is where Mary Shelley got the idea for Frankenstein.

VICE should put together a vid on Bloodborne. We got: Menstruation. Semen. Heroin. Parasites. Umbilical Cords. Whatever you got there's a Yharnamite that will gladly eat it.

Just got a "delayed item, need your approval to continue" regarding the strategy guide. I've never seen that before. I better get my copy ASAP. Sick of waiting, need to read.

Ferr986

When you kill the moon presence you basically become the Moon Presence, looking out for humanity.

On the subject, am I the only one that doesn't think the Moon Presence is necessarily the bad guy here? Literally all he has you do is kill a bunch of Great ones and beasts that are a threat to humanity. It's not like there's any direct benefit to him. In fact, it might just be that the Moon Presence isn't the first of his kind and was once a hunter like you(perhaps he's Ludwig?), as the lore note on beckoning him talks about it as if it has already happened before.

It seems like the Moon Presence is just trying to manage the hunt, and had to go to extremes to the end the hunt that the game takes place in that it didn't have to go to for previous hunts(in which plenty of people survived).

I feel like the Moon Presence is the one making humans have the Olds children's. It's only with the Red Moon that Arianna or Iosefka get pregnant (and I assume they are Great One children's).

When you kill him, you basically , as a new Moon Presence, can prevent the Great Ones to procreate, dooming them forever. Kind of goes on how you fuck the gods in the Dark Lord ending of DkS.

Although I'm still missing the full meaning of the hunt.

EDIT: Oh wait, forgot that you have to kill Mergo for completing the hunt. That goes against what I said...

Gbraga

Hmm, that makes sense, but I feel like Arianna's baby cord definitely implicates it's Oedon's child.

Unless the description is just there to hint us that it all started with Oedon looking for a surrogate, so, in other words, Yharnam had Oedon's child, and not necessarily Arianna, but the fact that she's in Oedon chapel, and Oedon is such an important character in the game makes me think otherwise.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Eugh, don't remind me. Ham fisted fan service. The Lordvessel texture just being smashed up in the starting area was a slap in the face to subtlety.
Something that hardly anyone will notice is "ham fisted fan service"? Please.

and when he's close to death he grows a tentacle on his head, which I imagine can be used for bloodletting
Oh wow, nice catch. I was wondering why it was called that, it didn't seem like it had slugs, but yeah the headless version does have this slug-like tentacle sprout from the stump of its neck... (It's also horribly scary!)

So what's the theory on these guys? Guards of Yarnham, to either keep her protected or subjugated so she doesn't go fuck with Mergo's Wet Nurse? Were the snake cultists explicitly trying to emulate these guys or even outright revive them?
My theory is... they're a throw back to Dark Souls forest PvP pre-1.03 patch. Nazgul robes, pyromancy, katanas, ganking 3v1... yep. :D

Huh, weird, Laurence has two VAs...?

Auctopus

Interesting that hey changed the location of Ebrietas

They change a lot of stuff in pre-release footage. Go through the original debut gameplay of Central Yharnam and there's a bunch of stuff that's not in the final game eg. Gascgoine, Almygdawhatever and a few other things.

Whether they do it to keep fans on their toes or not to spoil things, i dunno but i like it.

Coconut

Banned
Something that hardly anyone will notice is "ham fisted fan service"? Please.

Oh wow, nice catch. I was wondering why it was called that, it didn't seem like it had slugs, but yeah the headless version does have this slug-like tentacle sprout from the stump of its neck... (It's also horribly scary!)

My theory is... they're a throw back to Dark Souls forest PvP pre-1.03 patch. Nazgul robes, pyromancy, katanas, ganking 3v1... yep. :D

Huh, weird, Laurence has two VAs...?

Yeah so does Micolash.

So doing the Contact pose in front of the Mother Brain tripped me out. I wonder if you can do that too Ebrietas the first time you approach her since she's not hostile.

Also kinda wondering why you can revive the Vileblood Queen SPECIFICALLY at the Altar of Despair. Why there? What's that spider? What does it have to do with Vilebloods or Ebrietas? What the hell?

DedValve

Banned
If you really can't kill Rom, I made this video showing a strategy that will get him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Lig-fcYXg

It's basically risk free, but you have to have enough Bone Marrow Ash to pull it off, enough blood vials to heal, the cannon, and 30 strength with which to wield the cannon.

I totally forgot you can sacrifice your health for 5 more powerful bullets.

How strong are those bullets? I never once even bothered.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So doing the Contact pose in front of the Mother Brain tripped me out. I wonder if you can do that too Ebrietas the first time you approach her since she's not hostile.
Tried, nothing happened. :(

Also kinda wondering why you can revive the Vileblood Queen SPECIFICALLY at the Altar of Despair. Why there? What's that spider? What does it have to do with Vilebloods or Ebrietas? What the hell?
Yeah made no sense to me either.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Annalise seems to have some stuff in common with Yarnham.

-Yarnham Stone is the wriggly remains of her just like Queenly Flesh, but perhaps due to how ancient she was too much turns to dust meaning she can't be revived at the Altar.

-Yarnham presumably has a baby (Mergo?) but its then snatched from her, seemingly straight from her womb. Annalise is quite desperate to have her own "baby of blood".

Then even further you have the mystery of Arianna potentially being a Cainhurst noble due to her dress and that she too bares child. Problem is, she isn't blessed with any immortality it seems (no fleshy Arianna lump to revive), so she's "the odd one out".

Thats before we even go into the potential that you yourself are a Cainhurst descendant perhaps too...

Coconut

Banned
Annalise seems to have some stuff in common with Yarnham.

-Yarnham Stone is the wriggly remains of her just like Queenly Flesh, but perhaps due to how ancient she was too much turns to dust meaning she can't be revived at the Altar.

-Yarnham presumably has a baby (Mergo?) but its then snatched from her, seemingly straight from her womb. Annalise is quite desperate to have her own "baby of blood".

Then even further you have the mystery of Arianna potentially being a Cainhurst noble due to her dress and that she too bares child. Problem is, she isn't blessed with any immortality it seems (no fleshy Arianna lump to revive), so she's "the odd one out".

Thats before we even go into the potential that you yourself are a Cainhurst descendant perhaps too...

Isn't Annalise hidden away so long argus could be called a true martyr?

Yo, whoa. I didn't even realize it's the same dress as the one you find and can wear if you're a woman.

That's super interesting.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Isn't Annalise hidden away so long argus could be called a true martyr?

Theory is he lays wait because they tried killing her, but she kept coming back due to her funky immortality, so simply ensuring no-one else can get to her to further her dark goals is the best way of proceeding.

Items seem to refer to these chosen women as "mediums".

Purely my own speculation, but Annalise and Arianna having such similar names... could they be twins, descended from Yarnham? One gains the immortality powers but can't get pregnant, the other pops out an infant great one like it was nothing but doesn't have funky immortality.

Ferrio

Banned
Theory is he lays wait because they tried killing her, but she kept coming back due to her funky immortality, so simply ensuring no-one else can get to her to further her dark goals is the best way of proceeding.

I thought it was because he was fucking her and didn't want anyone to know? Crown even refers to it as vile secret.

I thought it was because he was fucking her and didn't want anyone to know? Crown even refers to it as vile secret.

Probably both. Logarius shtups her or loves her or somesuch, but he can't kill her even though he knows she's a monster so he hides her away forever til you come along and get shot down every time.

Might explain the betrothal ring and her unwillingness to marry.

Pie and Beans

He's a martyr because he sacrificed his life to stop something from happening, setting up camp right outside her room and ensuring no-one could pop in to give blood dregs.

Also, I assume they popped an iron mask on her due to her beguiling beauty. The Church seems to have a very vested interest in her not getting knocked up!

Ferrio

Banned
He's a martyr because he sacrificed his life to stop something from happening, setting up camp right outside her room and ensuring no-one could pop in to give blood dregs.

Also, I assume they popped an iron mask on her due to her beguiling beauty. The Church seems to have a very vested interest in her not getting knocked up!

I think a lot of people are misinterpretting this. My take:

Dude went to Cainhurst to rid the world of vilebloods. He becomes entranced by the queen and instead of wiping her out, keeps her alive but hides her behind a veil. He's a martyr in everyone's eyes, but only if they don't know the truth.

Look at his crown, it says he hides a vile secret HIS secret.

Also the Gold Ardeo's description

"Acts of goodness are not always wise, and acts of evil are not always foolish, but regardless, we shall always strive to be good".

Which would indicate a struggle with his own ethics and morality.

Coconut

Banned
Probably both. Logarius shtups her or loves her or somesuch, but he can't kill her even though he knows she's a monster so he hides her away forever til you come along and get shot down every time.

Might explain the betrothal ring and her unwillingness to marry.

Maybe she's just an independent women try to have it all on her own.

Pie and Beans

I think a lot of people are misinterpretting this. My take:

Dude went to Cainhurst to rid the world of vilebloods. He becomes entranced by the queen and instead of wiping her out, keeps her alive but hides her behind a veil. He's a martyr in everyone's eyes, but only if they don't know the truth.

Look at his crown, it says he hides a vile secret HIS secret.

Also the Gold Ardeo's description

"Acts of goodness are not always wise, and acts of evil are not always foolish, but regardless, we shall always strive to be good".

Which would indicate a struggle with his own ethics and morality.

Perhaps. I interpreted "the vile secret" (take note its THE, not HIS) to be the fact that Annalise is immortal and that they can't kill her so they're pretty darn stuck with her.

If Annalise had mentioned him at all, perhaps I'd see more reason to think the two were involved, but... I guess this is the Souls lore trap. Not enough to go on, could be any number of things.

Ferrio

Banned
Perhaps. I interpreted "the vile secret" to be the fact that Annalise is immortal and that they can't kill her so they're pretty darn stuck with her.

If Annalise had mentioned him at all, perhaps I'd see more reason to think the two were involved, but... I guess this is the Souls lore trap. Not enough to go on, could be any number of things.

Well one explanation could be the relationship is one way. I just don't get the "guarding people from her" excuse. She turns into mush pretty easily, and the only way to revive her is IN the church which are her sworn enemies. To me he's guarding her from other people who wish her harm, or at the very least guarding her so no one knows he failed his mission.

Pie and Beans

Well one explanation could be the relationship is one way. I just don't get the "guarding people from her" excuse. She turns into mush pretty easily, and the only way to revive her is IN the church which are her sworn enemies. To me he's guarding her from other people.

The Executioners in this game are pretty monk-esque and presumably maybe immune to her charms. Case in point, you off Logarius, and 9/10 everyone goes in, accepts the blood, becomes a Vileblood and will even help revive her. All that without much persuading at all.

Whats to say, given long enough, her wriggling remains may not have reformed on their own too. "All hail the undying queen of blood!"

Ferrio

Banned
The Executioners in this game are pretty monk-esque and presumably maybe immune to her charms. Case in point, you off Logarius, and 9/10 everyone goes in, accepts the blood, becomes a Vileblood and will even help revive her. All that without much persuading at all.

Whats to say, given long enough, her wriggling remains may not have reformed on their own too. "All hail the undying queen of blood!"

Well if monks are suppose to be immune to her charms, all the more reason that logarius would hide that fact.

Also let's not forget to mention he is wearing the king's crown, and she's the queen. That should imply something.

Maybe she's just an independent women try to have it all on her own.

Then maybe she needs to not start cults based around putting sperm in her.

And Ferrio is sorta right in that regard, Logarius IS wearing the King's Crown. Pretty damning evidence. I'm leaning less on them boning and more on him slapping a mask on her, hiding her in an illusory tower and guarding it...somehow forever so no one else can make his mistake/since no one can kill her.

Still, all that stuff I mentioned before really is confusing. Why only at the Altar of Despair?

Who has a throne built out on the roof in the snow? That's a weird architectural decision. You have to put something in front of the illusionary room with the undying Queen of Blood hanging around in it I guess. The empty throne next to her is just rubbing it in.

Guevara

I was thinking about that a lot and here's my crappy theory:

1. We know great ones have augurs (or, Heralds) in physical form. These heralds are usually invertebrates, for example the Augur of Ebrietas is a slug. From the item description:

"One of the secret rites of the Choir, high-ranking members of the Healing Church.
Use spirits, the invertebrates known to be augurs of the Great Ones, to partially summon abandoned Ebrietas.
One of the few rites that allow one to directly utilize the power of the Great Ones, and evidence that the Choir had approached the eldritch Truth."

2. A spider is an invertebrate too, of course. But the Altar of Despair appears to be a particular spider: Rom. Rom is described as "Vacuous" Invertebrates have a hard exoskeleton, therefore Rom is in two ways basically the shell of a great one.
Vacuous: mindless, or empty of matter
3. So, Rom could very well be an augur of a great one. But who?
Lore Note: "The Byrgenwerth spider hides all manner of rituals, and keeps our lost master from us. A terrible shame. It makes my head shudder uncontrollably."
4. Long story short: Rom was Oedon the Formless's augur, his messenger and herald, and perhaps his physical representation on earth. The statue is therefore kinda a statue of Oedon. Which is why if you pray to it, you get results.

5. But, maybe because Oedon is so powerful, or maybe because he does not have a form of his own: Rom went rogue. He has so much power within him just be virtue of being in contact with Oedon, that he is now actually interfering. That's the "shame" of it. You think you are having an audience with Oedon, when actually you have only met his mindless shell. He doesn't attack, he doesn't speak with you, he just does what any mindless invertebrate would do: defend himself.

Totally different tangent, I think the rock clumps made from distorted faces in Nightmare of Mensis could relate to all the Mensis-Caged dead folks having their Dream energies trapped after their death and used to manifest the Nightmare in a physical form, the bedrock of the Nightmare so to speak. The cages themselves look like Rook pieces to me which doesn't say much, that's a lot of rooks. It is considered the most powerful piece after the Queen and they visually square off the board which could relate to defining the field of the Dreamspace.

Astral

Wait there are two Iosefkas? So is the one at the very beginning of the game the real one? There was that little blue alien in the room that one time I sent no one to the clinic. I guess that was her. I also find it strange that you can find one of her vials in the Nightmare of Mensis.

I was thinking about that a lot and here's my crappy theory:

1. We know great ones have augurs (or, Heralds) in physical form. These heralds are usually invertebrates, for example the Augur of Ebrietas is a slug. From the item description:

"One of the secret rites of the Choir, high-ranking members of the Healing Church.
Use spirits, the invertebrates known to be augurs of the Great Ones, to partially summon abandoned Ebrietas.
One of the few rites that allow one to directly utilize the power of the Great Ones, and evidence that the Choir had approached the eldritch Truth."

2. A spider is an invertebrate too, of course. But the Altar of Despair appears to be a particular spider: Rom. Rom is described as "Vacuous" Invertebrates have a hard exoskeleton, therefore Rom is in two ways basically the shell of a great one.
Vacuous: mindless, or empty of matter
3. So, Rom could very well be an augur of a great one. But who?
Lore Note: "The Byrgenwerth spider hides all manner of rituals, and keeps our lost master from us. A terrible shame. It makes my head shudder uncontrollably."
4. Long story short: Rom was Oedon the Formless's augur, his messenger and herald, and perhaps his physical representation on earth. The statue is therefore kinda a statue of Oedon. Which is why if you pray to it, you get results.

5. But, maybe because Oedon is so powerful, or maybe because he does not have a form of his own: Rom went rogue. He has so much power within him just be virtue of being in contact with Oedon, that he is now actually interfering. That's the "shame" of it. You think you are having an audience with Oedon, when actually you have only met his mindless shell. He doesn't attack, he doesn't speak with you, he just does what any mindless invertebrate would do: defend himself.

What's the theory regarding Amygdalas? They are al over the place and the school of Mensis make that cage device to communicate with Great Ones but it seems that they were comunicating with Amygdalas specifically as is presented in Hypogean Gaol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also the VA credits have one listed for "blood minister". I assume that's the dude in the beginning. Should throw out any crackpot theory that he's Gascoigne/Laurence/some other named NPC. Weird that he's just a random dude but oh well, guess he's not really important after all.

Wait there are two Iosefkas? So is the one at the very beginning of the game the real one? There was that little blue alien in the room that one time I sent no one to the clinic. I guess that was her. I also find it strange that you can find one of her vials in the Nightmare of Mensis.
Iosefka is the alien and the women upstairs is an impostor, I think so at least.

Top Bottom