• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

Iosefka is the alien and the women upstairs is an impostor, I think so at least.

Pretty sure that's confirmed. The woman upstairs is a member of the Choir and basically took over her clinic to continue the experiments into making Celestial Emissaries. That's why you find one in there (Iosefka) and the path out back that leads to the Forbidden Woods is full of them too because they were either cast off failures or they needed to be grown there.

Pretty sure Iosefka is dead/Emissary before the game begins. There's some item thingies as well as what happens to her if you don't fight her until after Rom that make it pretty clear, I think. Also, I'm...not sure why you can get an Umbilical Cord from her other than maybe her experiments actually proved successful though it cost her her sanity.

Ferrio

Banned
Pretty sure that's confirmed. The woman upstairs is a member of the Church and basically took over her clinic to continue the experiments into making Celestial Emissaries. That's why you find one in there (Iosefka) and the path out back that leads to the Forbidden Woods is full of them too because they were either cast off failures or they needed to be grown there.

Pretty sure Iosefka is dead/Emissary before the game begins. There's some item thingies as well as what happens to her if you don't fight her until after Rom that make it pretty clear, I think. Also, I'm...not sure why you can get an Umbilical Cord from her other than maybe her experiments actually proved successful though it cost her her sanity.

No she's alive when it begins. The lady you first talk to is the real one, the one you talk to later through the door is not. She changes personalities, and talks to you like she doesn't recognize you.

Pretty sure that's confirmed. The woman upstairs is a member of the Choir and basically took over her clinic to continue the experiments into making Celestial Emissaries. That's why you find one in there (Iosefka) and the path out back that leads to the Forbidden Woods is full of them too because they were either cast off failures or they needed to be grown there.

Not necessarily. These suggest otherwise.

This is true Iosefka when you first meet her.Watch 12:42-14:00 here and watch her hidden dialogue at 3:06-3:58 here

And this is the imposter after you beat Father G. Watch how there're changes at 29:45-31:47 here

No she's alive when it begins. The lady you first talk to is the real one, the one you talk to later through the door is not. She changes personalities, and talks to you like she doesn't recognize you.

Yeah, my bad, you're right. Was just looking it up and the voice actress is different too.

Though interesting to note, after looking at the Oedon Writhe rune she drops if you kill her before Rom, it's incredibly possible that Oedon got her pregnant and the Umbilical you get from her is his.

Coconut

Banned
Totally different tangent, I think the rock clumps made from distorted faces in Nightmare of Mensis could relate to all the Mensis-Caged dead folks having their Dream energies trapped after their death and used to manifest the Nightmare in a physical form, the bedrock of the Nightmare so to speak. The cages themselves look like Rook pieces to me which doesn't say much, that's a lot of rooks. It is considered the most powerful piece after the Queen and they visually square off the board which could relate to defining the field of the Dreamspace.

The caged head people in the the hall way up to mergos wet nurse really stuck out to me. It's like they were all there to watch something happen.

Micolash is there and everything has a toy like aspect to it. You can even see lots of pinned downed bugs and stuff. It's a good lead.

Alebrije

Gold Member
What about the Doll?

All the game looks like just a tool that leaves you upgrade your stats, but after the real ending where she takes care of you as a new little big one made me think she is more than that.

I know all From games have a NPC that you use to upgrade your stats but in BB I think the Doll is connected with the old ones , even I could think is one of them or at least something similar a Mergos Wet Nurse, after all she helps you to upgrade your stats in order to become the perfect vessel for an old one, (Yes you need the 3 unbilical strings but whiout the Dolls help would be impossible to get them)the same way Wet Nurse takes care of the child into the nightmare the Doll do the same with you after your beat the final boss and become that squish thing aka old one. If she were just a mere tool why she would pick you and clearly care for you at the end scene of the game.

Think the Doll and other dolls were somtheing more than just a tool to ubgrade , they were related to the old ones in order to achieve the goal of find the vessel.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What's the theory regarding Amygdalas? They are al over the place and the school of Mensis make that cage device to communicate with Great Ones but it seems that they were comunicating with Amygdalas specifically as is presented in Hypogean Gaol.

Probably no basis for this, but I did wonder if the super-saiyan skeleton craters in Unseen Village were people that "ascended" into something. Maybe the lesser Amygdalas?

I assumed the lesser Amygdalas, due to being called "Lesser" were not Great Old Ones, just the...uh...Greater Amygdala. Maybe? I dunno.

They seem pretty Great Old Oney to me though. Even shoot annoying Nausicaa beams.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I assumed the lesser Amygdalas, due to being called "Lesser" were not Great Old Ones, just the...uh...Greater Amygdala. Maybe? I dunno.

They seem pretty Great Old Oney to me though. Even shoot annoying Nausicaa beams.

Its the fact theyre directly referencing a part of the human brain that makes them fairly interesting, specifically the "emotional reaction" part.

I mean they are pretty fucking Lovecraftian by themselves but... I dunno. I just kinda wanted the super-saiyan skeletons, creepy as they are, to mean something.

The "true" Amygdala remains in a nightmare dimension, not out in the real one after all.

Of course what shoots this down is the Amygdala were there from the beginning BEFORE the SSJ Skeletoning occurs in Unseen. Or maybe they were there all along too but masked by the veil over all "the moon shit". God who knows!

Guevara

What's the theory regarding Amygdalas? They are al over the place and the school of Mensis make that cage device to communicate with Great Ones but it seems that they were comunicating with Amygdalas specifically as is presented in Hypogean Gaol.

I don't know what those are. Amydalas are a region of the brain involved with memory and emotional reations (thanks Wikipedia). Seems almost like they are fear itself. One Amydala transports you (indirectly) into the Nightmare, killing another sets you free.

My answer: they are the physical manifestation of the fear you are feeling, so you can only see them when you have enough insight.

I mean they are pretty fucking Lovecraftian by themselves but... I dunno. I just kinda wanted the super-saiyan skeletons, creepy as they are, to mean something.

Same. That shit was super eerie. I also was wondering if there was something you could do with them because in the shortcutty area right before One Reborn on the way to the Bell Maiden there's a really goddam creepy room that you pass through that has one of the pits where those skeletons are without a skeleton in it and surrounded claustrophobically by spooky statues. I thought maybe dying in it would trigger something but nope.

God all this talk makes me want to just make a game full of shit like that. Like...a Bloodborne/Dark Souls ++++ where small little stupid things you try out because something seems weird or off take you to entire worlds or bosses or weapons.

Coconut

Banned
Anyone else feel like mother brain while being a great one is the equivalent of us finding like an otherworldly dolphin or something? Like even its description is like "well it's not much but its something!" Like its something Micolash pulled out of a magic hat just because he could.

That guy was such a little punk.

I think it's kind of neat to think of Mother Brain as not intentionally causing Frenzy but merely that it's awareness of your existence, like a direct sight line, is enough to cause your blood to burst out of your body. That's kinda reinforced when you drop her and kill her in that Abyss-looking place because she can't see you there or doesn't know who is attacking her since it's so dark. Or something.

On the other hand, she could just be a rude ass ho.

But yeah maybe it's just hard for her when she was drawn in and conceptualized by Mensis as opposed to how she might be in her native habitat. Who knows.

Sure made you feel it though with giving her a huge-ass life bar so you have to really work to kill something that has no possible way to hurt you

Edit: Micolash kinda intrigues me too. He was head of Mensis, right? So he contains within himself the Nightmare but...if you kill him and he "wakes up" the Nightmare still exists.

The One Reborn is a bunch of physical bodies without much of a mind. So, maybe the Mother Brain is made up from a bunch of brains with no bodies. All of the Mensis brains and eyeballs get transported to the Nightmare leaving the rotting cagey lil mummies behind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ferrio

Banned
So do we know of any of the history between Laurence and Gherman? They know each other, maybe of been colleagues even... but that's it?

The One Reborn is a bunch of physical bodies without much of a mind. So, maybe the Mother Brain is made up from a bunch of brains with no bodies. All of the Mensis brains and eyeballs get transported to the Nightmare leaving the rotting cagey lil mummies behind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like this. lol

Sure made you feel it though with giving her a huge-ass life bar so you have to really work to kill something that has no possible way to hurt you.

That was something I noticed as well. Even with how much trouble it gave you up above all it could do down in the darkness is stare at you with it's huge eyes as you slowly killed it. Shit was terrible, especially after the make contact gesture.

Game does that a few times though, in some form, to get items you need to see the full story. To get two of the four umbilical cords you have kill a woman in labor, who while was once hostile and experimented on humans was now defenseless, and the other from killing a newborn baby that had no defenses and was just making adorable sounds at it's mother.

Do you feel like a hero yet?

AngryMoth

What's the up with the dude at the bottom of the tower near the abandoned workshop? Just noticed he's a one time spawn you instantly get the beast rune for killing him so I assume there's some lore to him

What's the up with the dude at the bottom of the tower near the abandoned workshop? Just noticed he's a one time spawn you instantly get the beast rune for killing him so I assume there's some lore to him

Not too sure but if it's the guy I remember, he uses Pyromancy which is real fucking weird.

I don't know what those are. Amydalas are a region of the brain involved with memory and emotional reations (thanks Wikipedia). Seems almost like they are fear itself. One Amydala transports you (indirectly) into the Nightmare, killing another sets you free.

My answer: they are the physical manifestation of the fear you are feeling, so you can only see them when you have enough insight.

Asking as if I'm an idiot, Why the school would try to communicate with them? In Hypogean Gaol you can see a person sitting in a chair with the cage on his head and an Amygdala behind with a hand on the head of this person...

Are the Amygdalas inducing the nightmare and madness on Mensis's Scholars? Could that be how Micolash turn himself (somehow) in the host of the nightmare?

Edit: Well... as everything, they were trying to understand these beings and find a way to ascend to their status, the question would be the second: Are the Amygdalas inducing madness on the Scholars?

GorillaJu

Well if monks are suppose to be immune to her charms, all the more reason that logarius would hide that fact.

Also let's not forget to mention he is wearing the king's crown, and she's the queen. That should imply something.

I think your explanation is pretty good. I buy it.

I also thought it's pretty gross how the Executioners use wheels as their weapons. Because killing a Vileblood isn't enough. You gotta blend them into mush between the spokes.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I still say that Mother Brain doesn't attack you because you released her from their little makeshift prison. The nails and the chains and the torture devices that are jabbed all up in her are all gone when she sits at the bottom of the cellar in the darkness... no more strange light fucking up her unblinking eye, no more chains holding her aloft and no more nails driven into her grey matter as they fall out when she hits the bottom.

You come and find her and she recognizes you as the person who released her from her torment. You make contact with her and she realizes that your smarter than the average boo-bear and gives you a treat. Then doesn't attack you as you kill her because it wants to die and you are doing it a favor.

I think all the frenzy comes from Mico and the rest of the Mensis scooby doo gang at the time trussing her up and driving her insane with the all the craziness. Once you cut that shit out it calms down and is just like "Yea. This cold, dark, quiet room would be a fantastic place to finally die. Please? Thank you."

I still say that Mother Brain doesn't attack you because you released her from their little makeshift prison. The nails and the chains and the torture devices that are jabbed all up in her are all gone when she sits at the bottom of the cellar in the darkness... no more strange light fucking up her unblinking eye, no more chains holding her aloft and no more nails driven into her grey matter as they fall out when she hits the bottom.

You come and find her and she recognizes you as the person who released her from her torment. You make contact with her and she realizes that your smarter than the average boo-bear and gives you a treat. Then doesn't attack you as you kill her because it wants to die and you are doing it a favor.

I think all the frenzy comes from Mico and the rest of the Mensis scooby doo gang at the time trussing her up and driving her insane with the all the craziness. Once you cut that shit out it calms down and is just like "Yea. This cold, dark, quiet room would be a fantastic place to finally die. Please? Thank you."

An idealistic theory, however item descriptions make it clear that it is rotten and evil, and item descriptions have always been the word of god in these games.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
An idealistic theory, however item descriptions make it clear that it is rotten and evil, and item descriptions have always been the word of god in these games.

rotten and evil doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't happy to die. Just sayin...

And while you are most likely right that the brain isn't perhaps just misunderstood the item description that places it as malformed and evil and all that comes directly from Mensis doesn't it?

Also, probably a bit obvious, but I assume that with Laurence and Gehrman being friends that Laurence being the first Beast meant Gehrman put him down which would make Gehrman the...dun dun dun, First Hunter.

Dunno why I just realized that now.

GorillaJu

Also, probably a bit obvious, but I assume that with Laurence and Gehrman being friends that Laurence being the first Beast meant Gehrman put him down which would make Gehrman the...dun dun dun, First Hunter.

Nice theory but doesn't the fact that Gehrman thinks Laurence is still alive (as evidenced in his dialog where he talks in his sleep) kind of invalidate it?

Can somebody with a pre-Rom world test something for me with the old crone you can rescue, approaching her wearing the Ashen Hunter's set made her all friendly which I thought might have been related to the world progress but taking it off and speaking to her reverts back to her usual distrust. So I'm curious if you can get her to treat you nicely and give you sedatives pre-Rom, indicating that she has a connection with Djura.

Nice theory but doesn't the fact that Gehrman thinks Laurence is still alive (as evidenced in his dialog where he talks in his sleep) kind of invalidate it?

Possible. I thought that the skull in the Cathedral was Laurence's and that the Bloodletting Beast (in the Chalices) was Laurence. This is kinda backed up by the skull having a crack in it, Gehrman using the Burial Blade which is a huge scythe and the Bloodletting Beast having a form with a mashed up head. The BLB also has dialogue when it kills you which is...weird.

Also it may not be because Laurence was the first beast as I think he was still human when the Ashen Blood shit started turning people. So maybe it just refers to the fact that he started the Workshop.

Vena

Kind of goes on how you fuck the gods in the Dark Lord ending of DkS.

Nothing to really "fuck up" in DS, not like here with the Old Ones. The Old Ones have a firm grip over the world and you're more definitely a savior of sorts or "good guy" than in DS. In DS the world is already pretty much at the end of the final chapter that is the history book on the Age of Fire with or without you prolonging the flame. The gods are all gone, dead, or... well you killed what little was left of them (and what may or may not have been left of their issues if you kill Gwyndolin and Priscilla).

Lordran is a city of illusions, New Londo is nothing but a mass graveyard, Oolacile is a corrupted wasteland of abominations, and the Berg is devoid of life. Yharnam is, at least, still populated by people, good people, and you manage to save some. (Byrgenwerth is like an alternate skin to Duke's.) Everyone you meet in DS and "save" goes crazy and dies... by your hand.

In DS, I'd equate the main character to a grim reaper that is coming to call on a long dead world. Prolonging the flame or not, you ultimately bring an end to the Age of Lords/Gods as you kill them all and Lordvessel their souls.

In BB, I'd equate the main character to more of a hopeful/heroic figure, and ultimately something of a "protector" come the end.

I'd say that the BB character is closer to the character in DS2. You are on a quest to break a curse (a hunt, some would say) and kill a series of nightmarish horrors to steal yourself against the Curse (Old Ones) and take the throne (turn into a tentacle)... or walk away from your concerns (get your head cut-off by Gherman). You manage to rescue some folks along the way too.

Coconut

Banned
Nothing to really "fuck up" in DS, not like here with the Old Ones. The Old Ones have a firm grip over the world and you're more definitely a savior of sorts or "good guy" than in DS. In DS the world is already pretty much at the end of the final chapter that is the history book on the Age of Fire with or without you prolonging the flame. The gods are all gone, dead, or... well you killed what little was left of them (and what may or may not have been left of their issues if you kill Gwyndolin and Priscilla).

Lordran is a city of illusions, New Londo is nothing but a mass graveyard, Oolacile is a corrupted wasteland of abominations, and the Berg is devoid of life. Yharnam is, at least, still populated by people, good people, and you manage to save some. (Byrgenwerth is like an alternate skin to Duke's.) Everyone you meet in DS and "save" goes crazy and dies... by your hand.

In DS, I'd equate the main character to a grim reaper that is coming to call on a long dead world. Prolonging the flame or not, you ultimately bring an end to the Age of Lords/Gods as you kill them all and Lordvessel their souls.

In BB, I'd equate the main character to more of a hopeful/heroic figure, and ultimately something of a "protector" come the end.

I'd say that the BB character is closer to the character in DS2. You are on a quest to break a curse (a hunt, some would say) and kill a series of nightmarish horrors to steal yourself against the Curse (Old Ones) and take the throne (turn into a tentacle)... or walk away from your concerns (get your head cut-off by Gherman). You manage to rescue some folks along the way too.

Lordran is a world of failed attempts to fix something where Yarnham is a place of failed attempts to create something new.

Vena

Lordran is a world of failed attempts to fix something where Yarnham is a place of failed attempts to create something new.

Ehh, you could apply Yarnham's description to Lost Izalith or vise-versa. The Witch tried to create a new First Flame... and failed, and created a bunch of beasts...

Wait a minute. BB is Lost Izalith's prequel! You're actually the Witch of Izalith!

Kamina

Golden Boy
Ehh, you could apply Yarnham's description to Lost Izalith or vise-versa. The Witch tried to create a new First Flame... and failed, and created a bunch of beasts...

Wait a minute. BB is Lost Izalith's prequel! You're actually the Witch of Izalith!
There was no mention of Cthulhu's in Lost Izalith though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah, my bad, you're right. Was just looking it up and the voice actress is different too.

Though interesting to note, after looking at the Oedon Writhe rune she drops if you kill her before Rom, it's incredibly possible that Oedon got her pregnant and the Umbilical you get from her is his.

Oedon gets everybody pregnant. The original Yharnam queen, Iosefka's imposter, probably Arianna too.

Hopefully if Bloodborne gets a DLC we can have a chance to deliver a smackdown to that serial rapist.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Oedon gets everybody pregnant. The original Yharnam queen, Iosefka's imposter, probably Arianna too.

Hopefully if Bloodborne gets a DLC we can have a chance to deliver a smackdown to that serial rapist.

OH BABY

...but wait! Doesn't the name Tomb of Oedon implies that he's dead? Not that it ever stopped From Software lol

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Well he apparently only exists as sound so...I'm not even sure how the majority of any of this is possible.

can you imagine having the ability to impregnate people with just the sound of your voice?

with a good lawyer, Oedon might even get away from rape charges

From Software pls hire Liam Neeson or Morgan Freeman as Oedon

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
OH BABY

...but wait! Doesn't the name Tomb of Oedon implies that he's dead? Not that it ever stopped From Software lol

Many folks that we killed on Yharman gets resurrected at the Chalice Dungeon anyways.

Well he apparently only exists as sound so...I'm not even sure how the majority of any of this is possible.

Well, he did get the original Yharnam pregnant, so he must have a physical manifestation in some ways, unless the Great Ones are capable of immediately impregnate women by just looking at them.

I am sure From can think of many creative ways to kill the rapist.

eot

Banned

They're not the word of god, they're not written from an omnicsient perspective. It's the opposite actually. Random example:
A trick weapon typically used by Healing Church hunters. It is said that the silver sword was employed by Ludwig, the first hunter of the church. When transformed, it combines with its sheath to form a greatsword. It exhibits several departures from the workshop's design, suggesting that the Church anticipated much larger inhuman beasts.

Or a better example from Dark Souls:
The basement of the watchtower forms a stone
cell. There are rumors of a hero turned
Hollow who was locked away by a dear friend.
For his own good, of course.

In a lot of cases there can be good reason to doubt what's written in the item descriptions.

Ferr986

Hmm, that makes sense, but I feel like Arianna's baby cord definitely implicates it's Oedon's child.

Unless the description is just there to hint us that it all started with Oedon looking for a surrogate, so, in other words, Yharnam had Oedon's child, and not necessarily Arianna, but the fact that she's in Oedon chapel, and Oedon is such an important character in the game makes me think otherwise.

Well, I mean more like the Moon Presence is the one making the cycle, not necesary him/her being the father/mother.

I mean, it's not like the Great Ones come down and procreate with women, they just get "blessed" with a Great One child when the Red Moon rises. So I assume the Red Moon is some sort of ritual or magic stuff from the Moon Presence that makes the Great Ones able to have their children- Thats why I mean you fuck them all once you kill the Moon Presence (the one maintaining this kind of "cycle").

But I can't make all of this make sense with Gerhman's hunt, considering he's like a pawn of the Moon Presence.

n, you kill a lot of the so called Gods on DS, but we can't be sure we kill them all. But we are sure that, once we finish the Age of Fire, they lose their powers, finishing their reign, and starting the age of Men.

Gritesh

But I thought Ludwig was the first hunter.

Coconut

Banned
Ludwig is the First Hunter of the Healing Church, if I remember correctly.
In his video, DaveControlLive speculates that Ludwig was Gehrman's apprentice, tho.

If that true than it would imply that Ludwig is the one buried in the grave at the old work shop. Which I find hard to believe since the old hunters and the church hunters kind of ideologically stand opposed to each other.

Top Bottom