• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

So that last battle was kind of underwhelming :s . Especially considering I was level 30 and it's a level 32 fight.

I found any of the regular Constructor fights or Badass Pyre Thresher fights a lot more challenging, whereas the last fights were more bullet sponge kind of deals. Maya's phaselock doing massive damage to shields seemed kind of OP.

And that final battle gave me my first orange drop. Hopefully Playthrough 2 is less stingy on the orange drops.

Nome

Late-game boss spoilers.

Just did the fight with Bunker. I'm convinced this is the coolest FPS boss encounter ever designed. Entire fight felt epic, wasn't too difficult, and lasted an appropriate amount of time. The kill loot drop was sweet, and Brick's laugh on complete was perfect.

Just dinged 30 and this has still been the best all around gun I've been using since

XISfT.jpg

Getting easier for me as I level the phaselock life orb skill. Phaselock also just instantly zaps a third of the life of buzzards, feels so good force crushing them out of the sky like nothing.

You must have missed the quest where she gives you an even better shotgun.
The quest for Marcus where you retrieve the contents of his safe. If you turn the contents in to Moxxi instead, she gives you the better shotgun.

Tom Penny

Is there really no way to teleport to a teammate in co op? It so aggravating if you die an they are ridiculously far away from you at the save point.

Gartooth

Just finished the mission where
you get the Vault Key from Angel.

Man did Gearbox go all out with the story...damn I didn't see any of this coming and had my mouth dropped as things progressed. I'm assuming that I'm getting near the end, so I'm going to try to wrap up as many sidequests as I can before that.

Gotchaye

Late-game boss spoilers.

Just did the fight with Bunker. I'm convinced this is the coolest FPS boss encounter ever designed. Entire fight felt epic, wasn't too difficult, and lasted an appropriate amount of time. The kill loot drop was sweet, and Brick's laugh on complete was perfect.

I just did that on the second playthrough. Was looking forward to it since I enjoyed it a lot the first time around. Turns out Zero's Death Blossom one-shots the boss.

Woo-Fu

Banned
3) The damn Map. It's exactly the same as the first game. It gets you to the general location but sometimes it doesnt take into account elevation. Also, there was one time i was doing the siren missions and i had to find some echos. Echo 1 was attached to something very high above me and i had to shoot it down to get it. I only found it because i use a youtube vid. Same as the "Start the Enkindling" mission. I walked around for ages until i gave up and youtubed it.

While the game is certainly better than the first, i think the level design and map design really could have been slightly better.

Kids these days, can't find anything without quest markers and full GPS. Back in my day you were lucky if they even told you what you were looking for in the place. I mean, come on, it is a quest, not a babysitting service.

What you might notice in Borderlands 2 that wasn't in the first is that if you're at a different elevation than the quest marker the quest marker will have an arrow inside it showing you that.

Oh, and btw, I found that item hanging from the chain all by myself. I also felt a minor sense of accomplishment when doing so, something you never get when they hand it all to you on a silver platter.

RedSwirl

How much is there to do in this game really? I've only played like an hour of a rental copy, and it seems really good, but I don't know about $59.99 good. Meanwhile I've got Torchlight II also tempting me (after having played the demo) with virtually the same hooks at a third of the price.

Boss Man

So I am probably about to just drop the $60 and grab a copy of this game because I really want to play it, but I've got a question:

Is there any PVP stuff? If there is, is it worthwhile/is anyone doing it?

Woo-Fu

Banned
How much is there to do in this game really? I've only played like an hour of a rental copy, and it seems really good, but I don't know about $59.99 good. Meanwhile I've got Torchlight II also tempting me (after having played the demo) with virtually the same hooks at a third of the price.

I was at 48 hours right after the final battle. I skipped 2-3 sidequests, did everything else. That is one class, one difficulty level. You've got multiple classes and another difficulty level. There are lots of miniquests in the badass system that you can go back and do too. Then there is also co-op fun.

If you like shooters and like co-op it could be the best money you've spent this year.

FINALBOSS

Banned
For you guys on playthrough 2: Does stuff in your bank carry over into the next playthrough?

I kinda don't wanna trash any of this stuff.

The quest for Marcus where you retrieve the contents of his safe. If you turn the contents in to Moxxi instead, she gives you the better shotgun.

That's actually the shotgun you get for that quest. Just finished it up myself, and promptly sold the shotgun because it was pretty much useless when compared to my current one.

Boss Man

You can duel, but it's just a throwaway activity. The game is PvE.
Thanks. Still probably gonna get it soon.

Watched my buddy play the PC version today and it looked like they just took Borderlands and added three years worth of awesome dialog, improved game design, and variety to it. And I enjoyed Borderlands.

Gorillaz

It's semi openworld with a quest/side quest set up.

I love it and I thought the first was kind of meh. First game in months close to a year I really dug....it's weird cause like I said I wasn't that big of a fan of the first.

Red box it(if you live in USA) for a day or 2 and go from there

Nome

Kids these days, can't find anything without quest markers and full GPS. Back in my day you were lucky if they even told you what you were looking for in the place. I mean, come on, it is a quest, not a babysitting service.

What you might notice in Borderlands 2 that wasn't in the first is that if you're at a different elevation than the quest marker the quest marker will have an arrow inside it showing you that.

Oh, and btw, I found that item hanging from the chain all by myself. I also felt a minor sense of accomplishment when doing so, something you never get when they hand it all to you on a silver platter.
Maybe you should stop being an asshole.

The issue is consistency. If 9/10 quest markers show you exactly where something is, then you will expect that last quest marker to do the same. Likewise, if 999/1000 quest markers are accurate, but 1/1000 are not, it will introduce a lot more uncertainty.

But yes, B2's quest marker system IS very good. I haven't had any issues with it yet.

jediyoshi

That was that shotgun :|
Bummed the Rubi pistol afterward was no good

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone wanna play? Level 22 siren. 360 version. Tag in my profile.

HoosTrax

Is Earl the only SDU vendor in the game? I'm on playthrough 2 now, and he doesn't restock on SDUs. So 27 is really the max number of backpack slots?

Avinexus

Is Earl the only SDU vendor in the game? I'm on playthrough 2 now, and he doesn't restock on SDUs. So 27 is really the max number of backpack slots?

That will suck. Why would they lower the backpack size?

I have a question about the guns. Are oranges the new cyan? All of the oranges I have seen online have just been the same thing, just with different stats, just like the cyan guns in BL1. There seem to be only a handful of different orange guns. That would make purples the same tier as orange from BL1.

Sanctuary

The writing in this game is Obsidian caliber of greatness. The dialogue is seriously the most hilarious I've heard in probably ever for a video game.

Filth

Was this a quest item? I have one now that is like this - no scope, bolt action and quite slow, but dear god it just destroys everything when you get a crit. I have an amp shield for added effect (nice when you kill in one hit so you have a bit of time between targets).

I was going down Zero's melee tree, but this gun alone is making me think I should respec.

Random drop. Scope and single shot and all. Beast of a gun. I'm in new game + and random guns are dropping right below my gun. Makes me think something huge is gonna drop soon.

Razek

Banned
So, has anyone realized that Maya's Res skill absolutely breaks the game (I'm not complaining, I love it)? If you play her smart and keep her as a defensive back player, she can instantly revive anyone faster than the downed timers can dissipate as long as it doesn't 'glitch' kill them (I refuse to acknowledge this as a game mechanic, it's poorly implemented).

When me and 2 friends were playing, we were severely underleved, sometimes by 5 or more levels but were able to truck along thanks to infinite revives.

Also, what is up with not allowing the player to cancel reloads to revive a player while prioritizing the the action button to reloading first? So you go to revive a player and you start reloading, they only have a second left as your frantically change weapons to cancel the reload and they die. Pretty lame.

FINALBOSS

Banned
this is a weird gun, it does insane damage. i'm lvl 37 and this lvl 27 pistol still shits on current level pistols.

I've got one almost EXACTLY like that except mine has pretty crap damage (330) but has +400% crit dmg. It's a Hyperion one too, so once those first few shots fly off, I can get crits like CRAZY.

It's a crappy level 24 one and I'm still using it at this very moment at level 32 towards the end of the game. Very fun to use.

I played through the first campaign as the commando, but it wasn't until level 14 on my gunzerker that I found two consecutive grenade launchers. What took them so long!?

What do you guys think of the probability of them nerfing/buffing the characters in any way?

I just wanted to jump into the thread real quick to say I love this game. I complainted/nitpicked quite a bit earlier in the thread but, much like the first game, playing co-op with 3 friends makes everything better. Hell of a game!

Is the bank storage shared between characters?

The extra storage spot in Clap's junkyard is shared between characters, but the bank is not. As such, you have 4 slots to transfer items to another character. I wish it was easier to mule characters, tbh. You have to get a character all the way to Pandora (~1-2 hours) JUST to get access to the 4 storage slots in claptrap's junkyard.

Quite the fucking investment.

BUT if you're willing to have your spare character shuttle back to his bank a few times (and have to do the same to get the stuff back if you want to use something), your storage space will have expanded by about 18 slots.

Out of way places that one wouldn't go to obviously. I can't believe I haven't gotten it yet since I've been ridiculousy meticulous in my travels.

In the snow area near the start, there is a ice bay or something of that nature. I missed out on that and a mission never took me there so try for that :D

Autofokus

thx@BigJiantRobut & Dreams-Visions

I got claptrap's secret stash and wondered about the purpose of a second storage, must have missed the tool-tip.

SlickVic

Have to admit, it's been a bit tough for me to jump into Borderlands 2 so soon after wrapping up the first game. Going from a high leveled character with awesome loot in the first game back to crappy weapons, underdeveloped skills, and such limited health. I imagine BL2 will start to click for me once I find a decent assault rifle and get the skill tree fleshed out a bit though.
So far I am enjoying the writing a lot; feels like the humor picks up right where it off from the 1st game's DLC. Definitely making the beginning of the game a lot more entertaining, even when I'm constantly dieing.

Raide

Some of the stuff enemies say is funny as hell. Killed one of those Nomads and he shouted something like. "Don't steal my loot!" :D

I find the game awesome but pretty damn hard if you choose not to do side-quests and just carry on the story route. Still with Axton currency and I have not found many amazing weapons just yet but I am still only 15ish. Might try Zero next.

outsida

Some of the stuff enemies say is funny as hell. Killed one of those Nomads and he shouted something like. "Don't steal my loot!" :D

I lost it when I heard one say "I almost paid off the house" as my corosive weapon melted him lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom