• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, one piece of shit mission is really starting to sour me on this game - I did all the side quest stuff available, got to level 15 and began the totally bullshit task of
rescuing Roland
. Did anyone at Gearbox actually test this shit solo? Because it's not fun. Not fun AT ALL. In fact, it's unbelievably frustrating and, as general mission length goes, has gone on WAAAAAAY too long. I'm trying to take down the
W4R-D3N's
shields with electric weapons, but I can't get close enough because of the constantly respawning loader robots fucking burning me with their bullshit missiles, and when I did nearly get it's health all the way down, I died, only to discover that it's health returns to full! And now I'm out of ammo. Fuck this shit. There aren't even any side quests left for me to do at this point, so I can hardly go and grind or do another mission.

Xevren

Man, one piece of shit mission is really starting to sour me on this game - I did all the side quest stuff available, got to level 15 and began the totally bullshit task of
rescuing Roland
. Did anyone at Gearbox actually test this shit solo? Because it's not fun. Not fun AT ALL. In fact, it's unbelievably frustrating and, as general mission length goes, has gone on WAAAAAAY too long. I'm trying to take down the
W4R-D3N's
shields with electric weapons, but I can't get close enough because of the constantly respawning loader robots fucking burning me with their bullshit missiles, and when I did nearly get it's health all the way down, I died, only to discover that it's health returns to full! And now I'm out of ammo. Fuck this shit. There aren't even any side quests left for me to do at this point, so I can hardly go and grind or do another mission.

That was definitely the hardest fight for me as a solo Zero through my first playthrough. Shit was just awful.

Coconut

Banned
rescuing Roland
W4R-D3N's

Just fight off the spawning loaders and eventually ward4n takes roland to a seperate jail holding area in the dust which is much easier to handle

sneaky77

rescuing Roland
W4R-D3N's
th ectric weapons, but I can't get close enough because of the constantly respawning loader robots fucking burning me with their bullshit missiles, and when I did nearly get it's health all the way down, I died, only to discover that it's health returns to full! And now I'm out of ammo. Fuck this shit. There aren't even any side quests left for me to do at this point, so I can hardly go and grind or do another mission.

I did that yesterday it wasn't too awful. But yea not all that great thanks to the corrosive weapons at least.

rescuing Roland
W4R-D3N's
fuck dude thats the mission im up to right now. totally unsire if i should keep going right now because im doing it solo with commando on lvl 13

rescuing Roland
W4R-D3N's

I soloed it, it was easy... Corrosive weapons are the best to use again'st machines, not electric. Also, the robots weak spot is their shoulder joint (where the arm connects to the body) so if you want to get crits, aim there.

I'm playing Zer0 btw, and I'm pretty sure I was level 13 or 14

cackhyena

rescuing Roland
W4R-D3N's

I don't get it. I found this mission fun and easy with my Axton. I was taking the robots out in two shots with the sniper rifle all day long. Same level as well. *shrugs*

Okay someone tell me, because maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Is there something you're supposed to do or not supposed to do when the wormhole Thresher gets close enough (and it often will) to vacuum you in? I mean, other than surrender your entire fucking shield to it?

It just seems really cheap and no matter how much shielding I have, it seems to be able to shit on the entire shield and it usually has enough help from a Feeler to put me into Second Wind mode.

If I never go back to the Caustic Caverns again, I won't mind.

rescuing Roland
W4R-D3N's
huh. I had a ton of fun with that and got through it on the first try.

I just stood off a good distance away and sniped/AR/pistoled the eye until I finished him. The only "boss" battle that left me frustrated was
the badass skag mom, which can and will 2-shot you

A friend of mine gave me 2 mill because someone quickly found a glitch in trading negative money to people I don't know if it was a PC only problem but I'm sure it got patched out very quickly. I died once and it cost me 100,000 dollars.
aww man. I'll never get a borderlands weapon out of that machine. :(

rescuing Roland
W4R-D3N's
Ammo was a huge problem in that area as well and we had a group of 3. We had maybe one or two corrosive weapons between the three of us.

We found a class mod afterwards that gave us team bullet regen - wish we had it for that battle.

Okay someone tell me, because maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Is there something you're supposed to do or not supposed to do when the wormhole Thresher gets close enough (and it often will) to vacuum you in? I mean, other than surrender your entire fucking shield to it?

It just seems really cheap and no matter how much shielding I have, it seems to be able to shit on the entire shield and it usually has enough help from a Feeler to put me into Second Wind mode.

If I never go back to the Caustic Caverns again, I won't mind.
Would like to know this as well. So far those are the only enemies I'd call "cheap". The tendril arms break out of the ground in a heartbeat and down me in one strike easily. I can take on any other enemy and have a good fight, but I don't know any way to avoid getting struck by those arms - they are just too quick to spawn out of the ground and attack. It'd be one thing if there was only one thresher at a time, but as a group we're facing 4 at a time plus other enemy types and its demoralizing as we each drop every time.

Razek

Banned
I don't get it. I found this mission fun and easy with my Axton. I was taking the robots out in two shots with the sniper rifle all day long. Same level as well. *shrugs*

I've said it before, and will say it again: Snipers are OP in this game. I've played every gun type now and they do the highest DPS once again. Rockets are good, but limited ammo makes them a better last stand only weapon.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I think the worst part about how bad some of the bosses are when you try to solo them (level 19 story quest spoiler
I'm looking at you, Bloodwing
) is that when you realize you can't get it done alone but none of your friends are around you have to log out and (when you come back later with friends) restart the level because the autosave doesn't put you right back near the boss.

I've said it before, and will say it again: Snipers are OP in this game. I've played every gun type now and they do the highest DPS once again. Rockets are good, but limited ammo makes them a better last stand only weapon.

Rockets made fighting a Super Badass loader in one of the story missions bearable. Not sure I could have dealt with it mentally if I had to slowly ping him down in the off periods between the massive weapon flurry of death you have to hide from.

Anyone know how to get to
Assassin Reeth (third assassin, bonus if killed with melee) on the Assassinate the Assassins quest? The quest marker stops at an already opened... door, that a previous assassin already came out of and I can't progress. Something I'm missing?

Just fight off the spawning loaders and eventually ward4n takes roland to a seperate jail holding area in the dust which is much easier to handle

That's actually the bit I'm on - the first section was bad enough, but this one is really testing my patience. It wouldn't be so bad if the mission didn't seem to go on for an age and the difficulty scaled naturally, because I've had little problem with anything the game's thrown at me up to this point and now it feels like I've hit a brick wall.

Xevren said:
That was definitely the hardest fight for me as a solo Zero through my first playthrough. Shit was just awful.

Yeah, I'm playing as Zero too. Glad to hear it's not just me finding this encounter tough.

Razek

Banned
Rockets made fighting a Super Badass loader in one of the story missions bearable. Not sure I could have dealt with it mentally if I had to slowly ping him down in the off periods between the massive weapon flurry of death you have to hide from.

They went from one of my least favorites in BL1 to my second favorite in BL2. There is no doubt, rockets are super awesome in this one. They nailed their purpose: high scarcity, but huge massive damage that bypasses most armor and shields.

Every build should have one equipped for tight spots or super hard enemies. They also wreck every boss.

Alchemy

As a solo Zero I had issues with pretty much the entire part between when
Sanctuary teleports away and you have to find it and teleport back up
. I just felt like the objectives didn't fit well with my Zero sniper build. With the mod I have pretty weak shields, and was getting rushed at close range and unable to fall back to any form of cover to reload or recover my shields This was especially an issue with the
Thresermaw boss
and the
hold out fight to get the teleporter up.

I think the worst part about how bad some of the bosses are when you try to solo them (level 19 story quest spoiler
I'm looking at you, Bloodwing
) is that when you realize you can't get it done alone but none of your friends are around you have to log out and (when you come back later with friends) restart the level because the autosave doesn't put you right back near the boss.

Better checkpoints should be something that Gearbox patches in.

Explosives are the best weapons against armored bosses.

100% sure? because I've absolutely shit on the robot bosses all game long with corrosive weapons. what's nice about them is that they do damage while you're retreating/running or otherwise not shooting at the target. there is serious value to not having to be attacking a target directly to get added damage. (level 32 atm).

True Turquoise is the best vehicle skin

Easily
I find the electric blue/purple cammo skins to be the best.

Razek

Banned
Anyone else love the texture effect of the ice under the snow that looks like it 'bows' when you walk over it? I could stare at it forever.

Cat Party

rescuing Roland
W4R-D3N's

The way to play bosses like this on solo is to focus on the boss but leave some grunts damaged but not destroyed so you can get the second wind easily.

Okay are corrosive weapons rare in this game because I'm level 16 and I haven't ran into any single corrosive weapon of any kind. I did find a corrosive grenade though.

Bummer cos I really like corrosive weapons

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
100% sure? because I've absolutely shit on the robot bosses all game long with corrosive weapons. what's nice about them is that they do damage while you're retreating/running or otherwise not shooting at the target. there is serious value to not having to be attacking a target directly to get added damage. (level 32 atm).

Gunzerking with a corrosive SMG and a slag SMG versus robots is just great.

There's a tooltip that tells you exactly how to beat those guys, btw.
EYE
won't spoil it for you.

Okay are corrosive weapons rare in this game because I'm level 16 and I haven't ran into any single corrosive weapon of any kind. I did find a corrosive grenade though.

All over the place. I have to throw some good ones away because with only 4 active slots at a time, I need to make sure I have one corrosive, one slag, one fire, and one explosive at all times.

Cat Party

They are definitely harder to find than elemental/flame weapons. Seem to be more common than slag weapons though. You'll start seeing them more and more at that level.

I soloed it, it was easy... Corrosive weapons are the best to use again'st machines, not electric. Also, the robots weak spot is their shoulder joint (where the arm connects to the body) so if you want to get crits, aim there.

I'm playing Zer0 btw, and I'm pretty sure I was level 13 or 14

Yeah I just sniped its eye a couple times and killed it easy.

The
worm
later is so so so SO much harder oh MY GOD.

MY GOD IS IT HARD

I just started farming the true vault hunter variant of the last boss and I'm having shit luck for loot. I don't know if I'm just unlucky, but it seems to spew out mostly whites.

warpbackspin

Neo Member
Found a Sticky Homing Incendiary Transfusion Grenade that also has the "Spawns 7 Child Grenades" text, so I guess it's a MIRV as well? Funny thing is the grenades it spawns home back in on the enemy the first one stuck to, if they're still alive. This game! :D

Gotchaye

Yeah, I'm playing as Zero too. Glad to hear it's not just me finding this encounter tough.
Then I don't understand how you're getting killed before you can approach the boss. Zero tends to be pretty good at anything like that. Once you start drawing aggro, use Deception and sprint towards the boss. Then shotgun the critical zones from point-blank range right as Deception ends, and pour bullets into him (or melee if built for it) until he dies or you go down (in which case you just keep shooting). There's very little, other than the few major set-piece bosses, that Zero can't kill this way (Saturn is the only exception I've found).

I just started farming the true vault hunter variant of the last boss and I'm having shit luck for loot. I don't know if I'm just unlucky, but it seems to spew out mostly whites.

Any interest in giving Terramorphous a try (PC)?

Razek

Banned
Been playing a new game with the 4 player simulation mod. The enemies are much harder and I've seen better loot so far. Definitely is looking promising!

nel e nel

Yep, does it even on the PC version with an SSD. It's unreal engine tech :p

Yeah, Unreal engine :/ But I don't remember it being this bad on BL1.

Also, I came across a post somewhere (sorry, can't remember) where on the PC version you can edit the texture pop-in time so that it's zero.

So, no ideas on how to avoid getting hit by thresher arms as they pop out of the ground? I get downed each and every time. There just doesn't seem to be enough warning, and forget if if you're facing several at once with other enemies.

Razek

Banned
Yeah, Unreal engine :/ But I don't remember it being this bad on BL1.

Also, I came across a post somewhere (sorry, can't remember) where on the PC version you can edit the texture pop-in time so that it's zero.

It gets rid of most of it. A bit remains on level loading.

As a solo Zero I had issues with pretty much the entire part between when
Sanctuary teleports away and you have to find it and teleport back up
. I just felt like the objectives didn't fit well with my Zero sniper build. With the mod I have pretty weak shields, and was getting rushed at close range and unable to fall back to any form of cover to reload or recover my shields This was especially an issue with the
Thresermaw boss
and the
hold out fight to get the teleporter up.

For that first boss you mentioned, here's what you do, braj.

Lure it out in the "backyard" and then run, FUCKING RUN, to the courtyard of the factory. That there boss gonna come out from that one patch of road leadin to that upraised bridge, see. What you gon do is run, I MEAN RUN, over towards that there cart what carried you over the patch of water. You go over the boxes, right, and you'll see this sorta outcroppin' of the wall that's perfect for you to hide behind. Now you wait for that there boss to pop out, you pop him one or two or three, and then scootch right back behind that there wall. And I tell you, son, you will wear that bastard down until he's dead.

Then saunter into that backyard and tell those Loaders what's left that you'll see them in hell.

From Heaven.

nel e nel

Anyone know how to get to
Assassin Reeth (third assassin, bonus if killed with melee) on the Assassinate the Assassins quest? The quest marker stops at an already opened... door, that a previous assassin already came out of and I can't progress. Something I'm missing?

Yeah, it's a bit tricky navigating the Steamworks. Just poke around where he came out of, there should be a door or hallway to the next section.

They are definitely harder to find than elemental/flame weapons. Seem to be more common than slag weapons though. You'll start seeing them more and more at that level.

I haven't found this to be the case. I have too many corrosive weapons, tbh.

In terms of elemental rarity, I find it to be something like (form most common to least):

Explosive
Corrosive
Incendiary
Shock
Slag

Oh a side note, almost all of my equipped weapons don't have elmental effects at the moment. My Buffalo sniper rifle is doing about 3x the damage of any of my elementals, my $10k AR is...worth the estimated value, and my SMG is about 2x the base damage of my elementals.

Gunzerking with a corrosive SMG and a slag SMG versus robots is just great.
gonna have to remember than when I do my playthrough with him.

In terms of elemental rarity, I find it to be something like (form most common to least):

Explosive
Corrosive
Incendiary
Shock
Slag

Oh a side note, almost all of my equipped weapons don't have elmental effects at the moment. My Buffalo sniper rifle is doing about 3x the damage of any of my elementals, my $10k AR is...worth the estimated value, and my SMG is about 2x the base damage of my elementals.

My experience would swap Corrosive and Incendiary.

legbone

Yeah I just sniped its eye a couple times and killed it easy.

The
worm
later is so so so SO much harder oh MY GOD.

MY GOD IS IT HARD

yep, that was the hardest part for my solo assassin. i hate that thing. finally kind of cheated and let the robots in the area pull it's aggro and hung back sniping. i bet i died 15 times trying to beat it.

and the caustic caverns are definitely the worst. i hate those damn threshers. for some reason they are incredibly hard even though they are below me in level.

Gotchaye

I don't know how hard Terramorphus is, but I'm not really happy with the way I'm geared to try. If you feel hes not too bad I can do it though. FYI I'm also playing Zer0.

We may not have much luck then, provided it's not possible to die and then come back in to the arena while the other person is still fighting. I've been able to get him down to about half but eventually he chips away at my health. I'm thinking of moving to more of the on-kill skills for regen. But I'm happy to try him. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999415504/

Coconut

Banned
That's actually the bit I'm on - the first section was bad enough, but this one is really testing my patience. It wouldn't be so bad if the mission didn't seem to go on for an age and the difficulty scaled naturally, because I've had little problem with anything the game's thrown at me up to this point and now it feels like I've hit a brick wall.

I recommend sneaking up directly behind it and wail on it with lectric weapons. once the shield is down it's super smooth. Or get super far back and snipe it for a while.

legbone

Explosive
Corrosive
Incendiary
Shock
Slag

gonna have to remember than when I do my playthrough with him.

i must be getting really lucky at the moment then because it seems like every other drop is slag for me.

Avinexus

I got an orange when I beat him on playthrough one.

As far as the bosses go, the only trouble I had as a solo siren was with
W4R-D3N and one of the worm things that come out of the ground during a mission in like a shipping yard or something, like Terramorphous, except not him.
. Everything else was a cake walk.

Just had my first rage quit. Timed missions suck, but escort missions are even worse. I expect better from Gearbox. Not sure why I expect better, but I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom