• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

plc268

I love how everytime I play a public coop game, I'm the one to put a finishing shot on a boss, but the others are first to snatch everything up. There should seriously be something like rolling for loot in this game...

Fuck, I need to start playing with friends.

Edit: I mostly play solo, but once in a while I'll open my game to public if I'm struggling on a certain section.

It's good during the normal game but yeah, sanctuary is generally in the 20's during a coop game.

The video comparison DF has up isn't kind to the PS3 version at all. During gameplay it shows the PS3 version constantly bouncing around between 20 and 30 whereas the 360 sits at 30 non-stop. Not sure if this is just an engine issue or the fact that the 360 version is installed and the PS3 version is merely cached.

Oh a side note, almost all of my equipped weapons don't have elmental effects at the moment. My Buffalo sniper rifle is doing about 3x the damage of any of my elementals, my $10k AR is...worth the estimated value, and my SMG is about 2x the base damage of my elementals.

I'm the opposite, I think I have 1 shotgun that doesn't do elementally damage, everything else does, seems like I do soooo much more damage with them. I try to keep a sniper and a secondary weapon of all element types on me, just haven't found a slag weapon yet.

I love how everytime I play a public coop game, I'm the one to put a finishing shot on a boss, but the others are first to snatch everything up. There should seriously be something like rolling for loot in this game...

This is why I don't play with randoms. Some times they'll just sit back while you're wailing on a boss, then come rushing in when the boss is dead.

Razek

Banned

Edit: I mostly play solo, but once in a while I'll open my game to public if I'm struggling on a certain section.

At least you get that extra bit of xp for the kill!

Also, explosive is so common because they made every single assault rifle in this game pretty much a rocket launcher. I get peoples complaints, they really need to tone that type of weapon down. I want AK's and M4's, not Defualt Rocket Machine Gun #258924.

legbone

Also, explosive is so common because they made every single assault rifle in this game pretty much a rocket launcher. I get peoples complaints, they really need to tone that type of weapon down. I want AK's and M4's, not Defualt Rocket Machine Gun #258924.

yeah, i'm really not looking forward to my axton playthrough. i don't care for the rocket firing ar's it seems like they are the only ones with decent stats.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I think that's why I like the miniguns so much; it feels kind of like they fill the void between super fast but weak SMGs and the shotgun/sniper rifle type weapons.

I'm the opposite, I think I have 1 shotgun that doesn't do elementally damage, everything else does, seems like I do soooo much more damage with them. I try to keep a sniper and a secondary weapon of all element types on me, just haven't found a slag weapon yet.

I dumped my slag sniper rifles. I just dont' find SR's effective with slag.

It's like...shoot them once with Buffalo and crit for 16,000dmg, or an elemental and crit for like 4,000 and a chance for elemental damage. Buffalo every time.

I'll still switch to elementals when there's an overwhelming number of enemies on screen and I need the elemental damage for damage over time as I run around.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/24/borderlands-2-stars-and-bullets-and-squares/

VG247 has gone full retard on their Borderlands 2 review. Anyone know what "you’re in the mnarkety for the same but better" means?

I don't even know what I was supposed to be reading there. :(

Razek

Banned
yeah, i'm really not looking forward to my axton playthrough. i don't care for the rocket firing ar's it seems like they are the only ones with decent stats.

I'm playing him now. I'm going to try to avoid them but it's hard too since like you said, they have the best stats.

I think that's why I like the miniguns so much; it feels kind of like they fill the void between super fast but weak SMGs and the shotgun/sniper rifle type weapons.

Me too! Love the spinguns!

The game definitely has balance issues. Pistols and SMG's are almost entirely worthless 99% of the time, and assault rifles are generally pretty awful as well, although there a definitely a few badass ones.

And then Rocket Launchers are obviously not something you use all the time because of the low ammo capacity.

neoism

After 40 hours I finally get an orange.....
iIdCC1t6YREoX.jpg

then another 10 minutes later lol

this game <3

Me too! Love the spinguns!
I always have to shake my head when I run into a Jakob's chaingun, "Fires as fast as you pull the trigger!". Kindof defeats the point don't it? ;P

The game definitely has balance issues. Pistols and SMG's are almost entirely worthless 99% of the time, and assault rifles are generally pretty awful as well, although there a definitely a few badass ones.
Gotta disagree here. I run almost exclusively SMG because they rock the world so much, but I'm using elemental ones. I use Jakob's pistols for straight up damage with my other characters and they definitely do the job. I just have a harder time finding good ARs.

And neoism - yeah, the continuous fire nova is an incredible shield and has saved my ass more times than I can count.

ekim

WTF... I was about to
save Roland
. Before this bossfight there is a fast-travel station and I used it to travel to Sanctuary to gear up. Now I can't go back to the boss fight but Instead have to redo the whole bloodshot fortress. :-/

Is this a bug?

Wallach

And then Rocket Launchers are obviously not something you use all the time because of the low ammo capacity.

I think they tried a little too hard to fix some of the weapon balance issues from BL1. Pistols were way too good in the first game and rockets were garbage.

mackattk

WTF... I was about to
save Roland
. Before this bossfight there is a fast-travel station and I used it to travel to Sanctuary to gear up. Now I can't go back to the boss fight but Instead have to redo the whole bloodshot fortress. :-/

Is this a bug?

Nope, not a bug, some of the fast travel stations are fast travel one way.

I am impatiently waiting for a mod to fix this (on pc at least).

Davedough

I dont really know if SMGs can be considered worthless. I have one that has fire element on it with a high chance to burn with a fire rate so high that it just launches bullets at fools. The numbers falling off the baddies between the sheer amount of bullets shot and the elemental proc could easily surpass another weapon of the same level.

After 40 hours I finally get an orange.....

then another 10 minutes later lol

this game <3

beautiful items.

wat.

I'm just about ONLY using pistols and SMG's. not once have I felt either to be underpowered.

WTF... I was about to
save Roland

Is this a bug?

lolz. yes. i rage quitted yesterday after doing this, then game here to bitch. I was told the 1way fast travel stations look different.

I question there purpose. or at least make it AFTER i fight the boss instead of before. Checkpoint system needs some major help.

ekim

lolz. yes. i rage quitted yesterday after doing this, then game here to bitch. I was told the 1way fast travel stations look different.

I question there purpose. or at least make it AFTER i fight the boss instead of before. Checkpoint system needs some major help.

These kind of situations usually lead me to ignore the game. :-/

that sucks. some of the level design and map elements need some serious work.

Raxus

Gotta disagree here. I run almost exclusively SMG because they rock the world so much, but I'm using elemental ones. I use Jakob's pistols for straight up damage with my other characters and they definitely do the job. I just have a harder time finding good ARs.

Good AR's are hard to find but I have to say almost every weapon has a use. While I can't say just how good snipers are (I have seen crazy ones), I can say SMG's, rockets, pistols, and shotguns all do plenty of damage if they are up to date.

HoosTrax

SMGs are my go-to weapon for Siren. Particularly elemental ones (where the high rate-of-fire increases the chance of proc-ing elemental damage compared to pistols/rifles), or Double Anarchy-style ones (I've only found one in this game, and it's a named weapon found in a set location in the Firehawk lair) that fire 2 bullets per shot and show a "2x" multiplier flashing on the damage stat. In conjunction with the "Cat" class mod for Sirens that give a big boost to SMG damage at the cost of a modest accuracy penalty (which is kind of the same thing that Double Anarchy SMGs in Borderlands 1 did).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SMGs are my go-to weapon for Siren. Particularly elemental ones (where the high rate-of-fire increases the chance of proc-ing elemental damage compared to pistols/rifles), or Double Anarchy-style ones (I've only found one in this game, and it's a named weapon found in a set location) that fire 2 bullets per shot. In conjunction with the "Cat" class mod for Sirens that give a big boost to SMG damage at the cost of a modest accuracy penalty (which is kind of the same thing that Double Anarchy SMGs in Borderlands 1 did).

Could you let me know where I might find one? I'm wondering if there are true Double Anarchies in this game (X4 shots).

Does your equipment level up with you?

Nope.

Does your equipment level up with you?

No. You just find new items around the skill level you're currently at and go through the painstaking task of determining whether to sell the old or keep it for your next character when you restart with a new class.

Speaking of old shit, I don't know if I'll ever sell my +77% smg damage level 12 relic though. Game says it's only worth $300 but fuck that noise. +77% smg damage @ -10% accuracy is...LOL.

HoosTrax

Could you let me know where I might find one? I'm wondering if there are true Double Anarchies in this game (X4 shots).
I haven't seen a 4x one, but the specific one I mentioned is a blue weapon that can be found
in the Firehawk lair. As you enter, go in maybe a third of the way in, and look for an icy path branching off to the left. You should see some Spiderants. Past the Spiderants, you should see a small frozen pond with the weapon sticking out of the water.

Megasoum

Banned
So there's not soundtrack available online right? I'd love to listen to the kick ass music that plays during the mutant slaughterhouse arena.

Sanctuary

I am typically not into first person shooters at all. However, there are exceptions; Half Life, Half Life 2 and Bioshock. Of course Deus Ex if you really want to count it as an FPS. I think so far that Borderlands 2 is giving me that same feeling that I had when playing the first Half Life. A game that I didn't really expect to enjoy that much due to the genre, but it ended up being the first game that made me appreciate them more. Of course all of those games have some kind of narrative though. I can't believe how good the dialogue is in this game.

Equipment that you find will scale to your level, but the equipment you already have wont level up with you.

Are you sure about this? I think it's entirely based on the area, not your level. Any time you enter an area that's appropriate for your level, or do a quest around your level, gear a little lower or higher than your level drops. If you backtrack though to previous areas where there's a bunch of level 4-6 stuff, those are the levels you will see on items that you find.

Speaking of old shit, I don't know if I'll ever sell my +77% smg damage level 12 relic though. Game says it's only worth $300 but fuck that noise. +77% smg damage @ -10% accuracy is...LOL.

My Siren has been using the same +50% melee damage fire ele sniper that seems to be about medium rate of fire (It's awesome. Doesn't waste ammo like the supressive snipers, and still packs a punch). It's getting pretty long in tooth too, because I think I've had it for almost ten lelvels. Yet I still use it as a primary since it's so good combined with my chance to do ele damage as well as the amount of ele damage.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I haven't seen a 4x one, but the specific one I mentioned is a blue weapon that can be found
in the Firehawk lair. As you enter, go in maybe a third of the way in, and look for an icy path branching off to the left. You should see some Spiderants. Past the Spiderants, you should see a small frozen pond with the weapon sticking out of the water.

Hm, I'm pretty far past that section. I'm wondering if the gun will be too low level to be useful for me at this point. I'll check it out, though. Thanks!

I think the Harmony tree isn't that great, IMO. Motion + Cataclysm is the way to go.

I'm around level 13, and yeah, aside from putting some points into healing from Phaselock the Motion/Cataclysm trees just look so much better for a solo runthrough. I could see the perks of Harmony for a co-op game, though.

Level 21 and getting tired of manipulating my back pack so often. I'd like to pick up stuff and check for stats later before I keep or drop. I know you can store suff and you can enlarge your back pack but you have to admit it's a bit of a bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom