• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tip Moxxi 20k ;)

Nice.

Feels weird playing a Siren without a nice Incendiary SMG. I scored a Hellfire early during my playthrough of the first game and used it well into NG+

As a heads up Flicker acts as a percent of a percent in other words if your weapons has 15% chance to inflict corrosion with 5/5 Flicker that chance become 19.5% as opposed to 45%. It sucks I know.

I started to wonder if this was the case since I was very rarely seeing elemental effects triggering with my shotgun blasts. It's a shame because there isn't really anything interesting to dump point into in the Cataclysm tree

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Borderlands 2 CLEAR:
Defeating the bonus boss in 8 seconds.

Glad I'm done with this until DLC hits. Played way too long and NG+ was a pain with how much unskippable dialogue and audio and cutscenes there are. Also storage is killing me.

Gear:
The Bee
2 Jakobs shotty's with low ammo count
+10% DMG / +50% Reload to Shotguns Relic
+Reload / Magazine Size class mod
Transusion slag grenades

Skills:
Filled to the Brim
Double Your Fun
Last Longer
Quick Draw
All I Need is One
Money Shot
Divergent Likeness

Fun facts:
Guns hit for 3.3 million on the last burst.

erragal

Zafords gave me a pretty crappy smg that seems to slag me.

That gun is not crappy at all. If you use it for awhile you'll find that once an enemy is slagged it also does significant electric damage as well. Its a very strong dps weapon especially in coop where you can maintain slag uptime with little hit to personal dps.

MrDaravon

As a heads up Flicker acts as a percent of a percent in other words if your weapons has 15% chance to inflict corrosion with 5/5 Flicker that chance become 19.5% as opposed to 45%. It sucks I know.

Fuuuuck. I'm more and more unhappy with the Cataclysm tree as all that I really want is Ruin, but I've already had to put points into that tree that I don't want as-is -_-. If that's correct Flicker is basically a total bust. Foresight, Chain Reaction and Cloud Kill are all fine and that's about it. Helios seems to be a bust, even having it up to level 7 with a class mod it didn't seem to really be doing jack damage. Immolate also seems kinda useless as it's super situational. I'm thinking about maybe going with this now, thoughts?

4fpQa.png

Only other thing I'm thinking is maybe take a couple of points somewhere out of Blight Phoenix, Reaper and Suspension to take Quicken up from 2 to 5.

GorillaJu

I would take a point out of Reaper to increase quicken. You only have one point to work with there, otherwise you won't be able to get Ruin.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm finding that Cataclysm sucks and wasting all of those points just for Ruin is not worth it. Helios and Blight Phoenix in particular are huge disappointments. A hybrid Motion/Harmony build with a few extras dumped into magazine size from Cataclysm seems the way to go.

Orgun

I'm finding that Cataclysm sucks and wasting all of those points just for Ruin is not worth it. A hybrid Motion/Harmony build with a few extras dumped into magazine size from Cataclysm seems the way to go.

That's how I've been leaning with mine, none of the final skills interest me so I've been spreading the points out across all the trees for stuff that I want.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Reaper is pretty damn good. Also if you take a point from all 3 of those you won't get ruin.

Just take a point off something in the Cata tree and a point off something in the motion tree to get to ruin.

Remember, if you have a point in the 1-point skills, it counts towards the progression of the tree. Like say if you have 1 point in acid cloud and 4 points in helios it counts as a 5 point progression.

I really can't gel with harmony. I like when things die.

I'm finding that Cataclysm sucks and wasting all of those points just for Ruin is not worth it. Helios and Blight Phoenix in particular are huge disappointments. A hybrid Motion/Harmony build with a few extras dumped into magazine size from Cataclysm seems the way to go.

The issue with Motion and Harmony is that Phaselock doesn't work on higher level enemies at least with Ruin you know that will effect everything.

MrDaravon

I would take a point out of Reaper to increase quicken. You only have one point to work with there, otherwise you won't be able to get Ruin.

Ah you are correct, thank you.

Reaper is pretty damn good. Also if you take a point from all 3 of those you won't get ruin.

Just take a point off something in the Cata tree and a point off something in the motion tree to get to ruin.

Remember, if you have a point in the 1-point skills, it counts towards the progression of the tree. Like say if you have 1 point in acid cloud and 4 points in helios it counts as a 5 point progression.

I really can't gel with harmony. I like when things die.

Yeah, I'll probably take a point off Chain Reaction, I'm not super hot on that ability it's better than the alternatives I've got there. Also I play solo a lot, so Harmony does nothing for me, and my friend who is a high level Siren who plays in groups uses Harmony and says it winds up not being practical or useful really. I also like killing things dead, and nothing at the bottom of the Motion tree does anything for me, so Ruin it is.

Also I honestly find it useful to sometimes just tag groups with Phaselock because with all of the burn/acid/whatever damage it allows me to visually track where they are if I'm at a distance, or they're behind cover or whatever.

Izayoi

Banned
That's how I've been leaning with mine, none of the final skills interest me so I've been spreading the points out across all the trees for stuff that I want.
I don't really like Motion's capstone, I think I'll be dropping it and spending the point somewhere else. The Siren as a whole is kind of disappointing. It seems they were worried about her being too powerful, but they overdid it and now she feels rather underwhelming - especially when I can hop on my Gunzerker and decimate everything with a bottomless pool of health and bullets.

erragal

Personally my ideal Maya build is almost all motion. The idea is to balance control, defense, and damage output. There's some flexibility in the build where you can drop sweet release/wreck to go more for chain reaction/repeaer if that's your preference. The 1 point suspension is to take advantage of my class mod bonus as well.
www.bl2skills.com/siren.html#551501550005020000000505010000

GorillaJu

As of now the Siren doesn't seem underwhelming to me, but she's the only one I've played. It could just be down to player skill (or me being the host of all my online sessions so far), but I seem to do way more than my fair share of work when I play multiplayer.

Antiwhippy

I don't really like Motion's capstone, I think I'll be dropping it and spending the point somewhere else. The Siren as a whole is kind of disappointing. It seems they were worried about her being too powerful, but they overdid it and now she feels rather underwhelming - especially when I can hop on my Gunzerker and decimate everything with a bottomless pool of health and bullets.

I dunno, I find that a siren is always invaluable in co-op, even multiple sirens. Crowd control is incredibly essential, especially when multiple badasses are involved. having a siren who is focus on healing also helps.

H3xum

Finally got some points into Zer0's dash skill and back stab skill

What a difference, night and day, at level 20 I'm finally starting to not hate my character.

Played the first
slaughter house
last night and enjoyed every second of it, ya know, with the exception of
slowly lining up 100s of headshots
. Please dont let others be like that

MrDaravon

I dunno, I find that a siren is always invaluable in co-op, even multiple sirens. Crowd control is so much more essential, especially when multiple badasses are involved.

2 Sirens + 2 Commandos is seriously fucking hilarious. Everything is in stasis, on fire, and has 4 turrets and 4 people shooting at them.

Izayoi

Banned
I dunno, I find that a siren is always invaluable in co-op, even multiple sirens. Crowd control is incredibly essential, especially when multiple badasses are involved. having a siren who is focus on healing also helps.
Sirens are great in co-op, but alone they're by far the weakest class. They are very frail in both cases, and don't have the ability to cut and run like the Assassin when things get bad.

Please dont let others be like that
I've got some bad news for you...

erragal

As of now the Siren doesn't seem underwhelming to me, but she's the only one I've played. It could just be down to player skill (or me being the host of all my online sessions so far), but I seem to do way more than my fair share of work when I play multiplayer.

She far and away does the least dps of all the characters. Her best dps skill (Wreck) is contigent on phaselock sticking so has limited uptime and is useless on enemies that can't be lifted.

Her aoe control/damage/disruption is pretty amazing but her trees are underwhelming because of how many situational abilities she has. All they need to do is make phaselock do a dot for full duration on large enemies and shed immediately be equivalent to the otber characters.

nbraun80

I FINALLY found Jimmy Jenkins. I think I can give some advice on how to find him as well. I tired many times to get him to pop out in the wildlife preserve and I couldn't even get a loot midget to pop out after 10 runs. So I waited til I was able to the mission called Doctor's Orders playing my main charcter going through True Vault Hunter's mode, and I got 4 Loot midgets/ midget robots to pop out in one particular area.

I didn't get him on that run, but I learned that it helps to have that mission on because there will always be 4 loot people that pop out of those four boxes, just don't take the recorder out of the box you open, and quit and try again.

the area location with mild spoilers:
the area is right before you'd enter bloodwing's holding area, if you go to the right before that door there'll be a room with a big loot chest and then against the other wall you'll see 4 small cardboard boxes on the floor. Each one of those will dispense a rather tough loot enemy and hopefully Jenkins. If not leave the light blue item in the box and reload. :)

I also didn't get the achievement so I don't know if there are hidden ones of not, but I think I would have found them being lvl 47, but who knows.

Antiwhippy

2 Sirens + 2 Commandos is seriously fucking hilarious. Everything is in stasis, on fire, and has 4 turrets and 4 people shooting at them.

It's funnier if you can find a high dmg rocket launcher, a decent widespread shotgun or a tediore weapon when you get convergance. Watch people just die.

Izayoi

Banned
Her aoe control/damage/disruption is pretty amazing but her trees are underwhelming because of how many situational abilities she has. All they need to do is make phaselock do a dot for full duration on large enemies and shed immediately be equivalent to the otber characters.
Yup. Very disappointing that Phaselock doesn't have a real DPS component outside of Ruin. Helios is laughable and Blight Phoenix is equally worthless. Reaper is her strongest non-Phase DPS, but you're wasting a lot of points in Cataclysm to get it.

erragal

Yup. Very disappointing that Phaselock doesn't have a real DPS component outside of Ruin. Helios is laughable and Blight Phoenix is equally worthless. Reaper is her strongest non-Phase DPS, but you're wasting a lot of points in Cataclysm to get it.

Helios is worth the five points at least, especially at +3 from a class mod the damage makes a nice dent in animals/bandits (just worthless on robots); blight phoenix is terrible in both damage and aoe range however. I tried ruin out last night and while the slag component is amazing its not really worth the defensive traits you lose in other trees to get it and it is still useless against unlockable enemies.

h3ro

Really disappointed about Flicker, moved more points into Ward and Accelerate in the motion tree.

Blight Phoenix is weak as well? Damn it!

Snowballo

Stupid question from a newbie.

Is there a way to keep more weapons in my bag?
I change them with more powerful versions and I usually leave 'em on the ground because I don't want to bring them to the shop to gain a few bucks.

What is the quickest way to gain space in my bag?
Thanks!

glaurung

I change them with more powerful versions and I usually leave 'em on the ground because I don't want to bring them to the shop to gain a few bucks.

Thanks!
There is just one way to expand the backpack.

Once you reach Sanctuary, there is an underground merchant who sells various expansion packs for Eridium. He is the one you want.

h3ro

Thanks!

You can purchase more storage space once you reach Sanctuary using Eridium.

H3xum

Thanks!

Sanctuary

crazy earl
is selling backup upgrades. Purchasable with eridium. He's found in the purple tinted building west of moxxi's bar

Tadale

I finished the game last night for the first time with a Gunzerker. I rented it last week on Xbox, thinking I'd just give it a shot to see if I was still in the mood for more Borderlands, and then maybe buy it on PC. Turns out it got its hooks in me pretty quick, and I finished it just in time for a seven day rental. Took me about 30 hours, and I did most of the side quests but not all of them.

I had a lot of fun with the game, though I had originally wanted more from a Borderlands sequel. Here's hoping a future Borderlands game can be more ambitious, maybe featuring a big common area where you can meet with different players, something like the original Guild Wars or PSO. More gear types would be fun, along with maybe some random dungeon style areas for parties to run through.

Izayoi

Banned
along with maybe some random dungeon style areas for parties to run through
That's the one thing it's really missing, I think. Some kind of dungeon system, random or otherwise, would do the series a lot of good. Trying to get players to sync without proper level scaling is a chore and farming bosses is terribly boring. Outside of the arenas, it doesn't feel like there's really any co-op focused stuff in the game. Dungeons that scale players to the proper level and drop good loot that can be used for the progression of the main game would add a lot. Instanced loot should also be the norm, would help co-op flow a lot better without people stepping on the toes of others regarding rares, ammo, etc.

There's a lot of improvements to be made, but they did a lot of stuff right. I'm really looking forward to Borderlands 3 (who knows, maybe they'll address some of the issues in the DLC - they did last time around, it would make sense here too).

Izayoi

Banned
Man I've spent hundreds of thousands on the slots...no orange :(
If you're looking for oranges there are better ways to find them than playing slots. Your time is better spent working toward beating the game so you can farm bosses who consistently drop orange items.

I hit a glitch and now weapon slots 3 and 4 are locked. I'm basically playing the end game with 2 weapons because one slot just shows a lock and the other is a super old gun. People on the Gearbox forum have mentioned this issue as well.

It really sucks.
If you're on PC there's a way to fix it, though it is definitely considered cheating as you're using an external program to modify the game. I'm not sure if you can get banned from online for cheating or anything, but it might be better than trying to suffer through the game with only two weapon decks.

SteveWD40

maybe some random dungeon style areas for parties to run through.

I pray they have this in mind for one of the DLC's. I get that it might not ship with one due to them wanting to actually sell the DLC's, but I also love the idea of the game still having something to do all the way until BL3 in a few years.

TL2's Mapworks is the best recent example of how to give a game longevity.

mackattk

I am thinking about rerolling. I currently have an assassin and it just isn't sticking well. I put in about 12 hours so far, and I hate to see that time lost. Big part of it is that his action skill seems more or less useless. It benefits me every now and then, but it seems to be the worst action skill of the four classes. I am only level ~17 right now, so it might get better later. But for right now it is largely underwhelming.

I am thinking about maybe the gunzerker or commando.

H3xum

I am thinking about rerolling. I currently have an assassin and it just isn't sticking well. I put in about 12 hours so far, and I hate to see that time lost. Big part of it is that his action skill seems more or less useless. It benefits me every now and then, but it seems to be the worst action skill of the four classes. I am only level ~17 right now, so it might get better later. But for right now it is largely underwhelming.

I am thinking about maybe the gunzerker or commando.

Stick with it for another 3-4 levels until you get the rush skill and some points into the back stab. Your character just doubles in usefulness.

Make sure you nab the kill skill that gives you a speed/damage boost after kills. SMG from far, deception in up close, switch to shotty for any guys around the guy you just sliced up.

Rinse and repeat.

I didn't like my Zer0 until just now (lvl 21) but i've had more fun in the last 2 hours of gameplay than I had up to this point

Log4Girlz

If you're looking for oranges there are better ways to find them than playing slots. Your time is better spent working toward beating the game so you can farm bosses who consistently drop orange items.

I like playing the slots though, money is kinda useless in the game lol.

If you're on PC there's a way to fix it, though it is definitely considered cheating as you're using an external program to modify the game. I'm not sure if you can get banned from online for cheating or anything, but it might be better than trying to suffer through the game with only two weapon decks.

Yeah, I saw that. I contemplated doing that but decided against it. I'm just hoping that Gearbox notices and is able to issue a patch when they do bug fixing.

Meier

Stick with it for another 3-4 levels until you get the rush skill and some points into the back stab. Your character just doubles in usefulness.

Make sure you nab the kill skill that gives you a speed/damage boost after kills. SMG from far, deception in up close, switch to shotty for any guys around the guy you just sliced up.

Rinse and repeat.

I didn't like my Zer0 until just now (lvl 21) but i've had more fun in the last 2 hours of gameplay than I had up to this point

I feel like they didn't balance Zer0 very well unless you go the melee route. As a sniper, the class skill is often quite useless.

But oh well, what can ya do. I'm not gonna re-start personally.. I don't have that sort of patience.

H3xum

I feel like they didn't balance Zer0 very well unless you go the melee route. As a sniper, the class skill is often quite useless.

But oh well, what can ya do. I'm not gonna re-start personally.. I don't have that sort of patience.

Agreed

Going down the snipe tree you only really benefit from deception for the first single shot as you get a dmg boost from inside of deception or for retreating.

It's still hands down the most worthless action skill. The snipe tree feels like it was just something that was thrown in there so one character could main a sniper.

Vodh

Man... It really bugs me that if you want to have one of those one-point skills in your build you're definitely gonna end up with a skill that's not fully developed (unless you play a gunzerker, they have a reasonable amount of those single point skills and can get a viable build that buys up full skills...). I'm OCD about this kind of stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom