• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren777

I looked around but couldn't find answers to these two questions...

• How does the PSN version compare to the disc-based version (loading, etc)?
• Will my save game from the PS3 disc be compatible with the PSN version?

So is this game fun alone? Borderlands 1 got a bit too repetitive and stale when I was playing alone but was quite enjoyable playing with my brother. So do I have to wait for my brother getting a copy as well or can I enjoy this game alone for the time being and then enjoy some more when he is ready to jump in with me?

-PXG-

I really wish you could respec from fast travel points like in the first game. I want to mess around with Maya's specs without having to go back to Sanc ask the time.

Cata tree buffs elements, but does little for overall damage. Might just have the top row and then Put most of my points in motion, but avoid thought lock. Harmony will stay as is.

So is this game fun alone? Borderlands 1 got a bit too repetitive and stale when I was playing alone but was quite enjoyable playing with my brother. So do I have to wait for my brother getting a copy as well or can I enjoy this game alone for the time being and then enjoy some more when he is ready to jump in with me?

I think it's better than the first one in that regard, yes. The game has more character, more environment diversity, a more interesting story, and the gunplay is much better, IMO.

Meier

Anyone else feel like Zer0 sucks more and more the further you progress? He was great on the first playthough, TVHM..... not so much.

:( Not exciting to hear, but unsurprising. Hopefully Gearbox buffs him up a little.. I may just re-spec as the sniper tree just feels supremely underpowered. Not really excited about essentially being forced to go melee though -- I'd have played a brute (Gunzerker) if I wanted to be up close and personal.

steadfast

I had an interesting night. Hit 40 on my zerker and then went back and started a commando.

Got the level 3 legendary pistol from Knuckle Dragger which is badass and then got 2 purple skins, one for each Bandit and Runner called Hypnotize. It was pretty cool.

I haven't had this much fun since Wipeout XL, and I've been playing exclusively solo.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I had an interesting night. Hit 40 on my zerker and then went back and started a commando.

Got the level 3 legendary pistol from Knuckle Dragger which is badass and then got 2 purple skins, one for each Bandit and Runner called Hypnotize. It was pretty cool.

I wish the vehicle skins didn't keep getting reset all the time. Annoying as hell to have to reselect every time I start the game.

Is it worth it to level up a bit more before heading into TVHM? I'm a level 35 commando that just finished up my first playthrough, though I have plenty of side quests left that I can do. Also, is it a waste of time to farm some loot off of bosses before I dip into TVHM? A friend of mine told me I'd get better loot right off the bat in 2.0, so he recommended that I don't waste my time trying to find legendary items in 1.0.

Loot from bosses scales with you level? I just got a Bee of lever 26 when I'm level 33.
I spent a little while last night when I was at level 34, and the Bee I farmed was level 27. Great damage boost when it's up, but the shield itself was pretty weak. I might stick with something else.

pepperzz

:( Not exciting to hear, but unsurprising. Hopefully Gearbox buffs him up a little.. I may just re-spec as the sniper tree just feels supremely underpowered. Not really excited about essentially being forced to go melee though -- I'd have played a brute (Gunzerker) if I wanted to be up close and personal.

I actually find that the Cunning skill tree maxed, mixed with some Bloodshed skills, works pretty well in TVH mode. The kunai help on the badass enemies and if you max your cooldown on Deception you can throw them fairly often.

But this is just my experience playing co-op with a Gunzerker partner so who knows how that would be solo...

At level 9 so far and loving the game. Learning all the nuances of the game is half of the fun, although I now realise that just looking at stats is definitely the wrong way to approach the game. I sold an AR that fired single exploding bullets because I thought the rifle I found was better due to 49x3 damage, little did I realise it was 3 bullets fired, which renders it way less useful at mid range distance than the original AR.. To be fair if I'm at mid close range down the scope the thing is beastly for my level, but if I'm getting that close anyways I've got a badass shotgun that can be used as well. Lesson learned.

So far I haven't found any really amazing loot, just some skins and a decent flaming pistol off captain flynt. Looking forward to some purps and actually being able to use more than two guns at a time. Lol

ezekial45

Banned
Is it worth it to level up a bit more before heading into TVHM? I'm a level 35 commando that just finished up my first playthrough, though I have plenty of side quests left that I can do. Also, is it a waste of time to farm some loot off of bosses before I dip into TVHM? A friend of mine told me I'd get better loot right off the bat in 2.0, so he recommended that I don't waste my time trying to find legendary items in 1.0.

I spent a little while last night when I was at level 34, and the Bee I farmed was level 27. Great damage boost when it's up, but the shield itself was pretty weak. I might stick with something else.
Your level is fine, but make sure your gear is the best you can find before going into TVHM. If not then the enemies will tear you apart.

Wallach

He's quite right, don't even waste time farming for loot in normal at that level. It stops around level 31 loot-wise; the level 32+ greens from TVHM will generally outperform anything you carry into the mode from normal.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is it worth it to level up a bit more before heading into TVHM? I'm a level 35 commando that just finished up my first playthrough, though I have plenty of side quests left that I can do.

No, it isn't worth it. If you're going to level up you might as well do it where you'll get better loot, which is in TVHM.

There is plenty of content in the 35 range, I hit TVHM at 34.

-PXG-

Might go with this

ZliDD.png

Slayer of terra mod will help too

Your level is fine, but make sure your gear is the best you can find before going into TVHM. If not then the enemies will tear you apart.

He's quite right, don't even waste time farming for loot in normal at that level. It stops around level 31 loot-wise; the level 32+ greens from TVHM will generally outperform anything you carry into the mode from normal.

No, it isn't worth it. If you're going to level up you might as well do it where you'll get better loot, which is in TVHM.

There is plenty of content in the 35 range, I hit TVHM at 34.
Thanks, everyone. I'll fire up 2.0 next time I'm playing.

ONCE AGAIN ON THIS THREAD - THE ZER0 HATE!!!

People, you cant play Zer0 like the Gunzerker or how Brick was in BL1.

His melee build is awesome!

Im lvl 38, in TVHM, just got to Sanctuary.

Most enemies I can take out in one hit, while on Deception.

If not, I can:

1 - use my guns
2 - run and hide till deceptions cools down again (with my class mod, it cools down real fast)

There`s a certain strategy to playing him on melee build.

You cant just run aimlessly.

You gotta be aware of how many enemies there are.

Go for the weak ones first. That way, you add a couple seconds to deception.

Then, strike the strong one. Always on the back. Not only to do more damage, but it also gives you a moment to evade once you appear.

/RANT :p

If not, I can:

1 - use my guns
2 - run and hide till deceptions cools down again (with my class mod, it cools down real fast)

Then, strike the strong one. Always on the back. Not only to do more damage, but it also gives you a moment to evade once you appear.

Cool.

Now how about a sniper build? I've got like every damage boosting/crit boosting talent and it takes like 4 headshots to kill normal enemies. Super Badasses..... forget about it, I need to exhaust all of my rockets and grenades.

I understand the game should be hard, and I've made it alright. but he just seems pretty weak. Maybe it's that way for everyone... I don't know. But I just killed the
gluttonous thresher
on TVHM at level 39, and the thresher and Constructor before it were ridiculously hard....

Wallach

Cool.

Now how about a sniper build? I've got like every damage boosting/crit boosting talent and it takes like 4 headshots to kill normal enemies. Super Badasses..... forget about it, I need to exhaust all of my rockets and grenades.

Sounds like a weapon quality problem is all. Try farming up some money and playing the slots for a while, it's not a bad way to get weapon upgrades provided your story quest is matched up with your current level.

Cool.

Get a better sniper rifle? :p

Just kidding, lol.

I dont know. Looking at the skill tree it seems like it would do a ton of damage.

Maybe your problem is about elements?

As in use one with corrosive against robots, fire against flesh, etc.

This matters A LOT in this game

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

If not, I can:

1 - use my guns

Once again, it seems like the only people that defend Zer0 are people that support using just one of the build trees, melee, in a game whose selling point is having a billion different guns.

Lakitu

st5fu
I cannot even fucking touch Dukino's Mom... Her shock moves rips my shields and health to shreds and my shield doesn't regenerate. Plus her shockwave move is lethal. I can at the most take off 25% of her health.

Sounds like a weapon quality problem is all. Try farming up some money and playing the slots for a while, it's not a bad way to get weapon upgrades provided your story quest is matched up with your current level.
I've spent every dime I've had on the slots.... lol

I play them early and often, and yes you get some nice blues now and then, but purples and oranges are incredibly rare. In fact, I've probably put a million into the slots already and I've only won a single purple, and no Orange.

Cat Party

I cannot even fucking touch Dukino's Mom... Her shock moves rips my shields and health to shreds and my shield doesn't regenerate. Plus her shockwave move is lethal. I can at the most take off 25% of her health.

Keep moving. Keep your distance. Use the rocks to block the beam attack. Helps if you have a turret ;)

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

If not, I can:

1 - use my guns

That's the part that I can't get past. I shouldn't have to hide from enemies until my buffs recharge. Every other character can hold their own without using their Specials except for Zer0.

If you hide behind the cart on the right side of the elevator she can't hit you with anything but the shock balls, and those are easy to avoid.

Once again, it seems like the only people that defend Zer0 are people that support using just one of the build trees, melee, in a game whose selling point is having a billion different guns.

What?

Thats not what Im doing.

Im defending using Zer0`s melee build which a lot of people are complaining about in this thread.

It`s one possibility. The fact that the game favos guns or not doesnt matter.

I chose the melee build and Im saying its completely viable.

Nelo Ice

Banned

My friend like soloed the whole game through normal and vault hunter mode as a sniper Zer0. He like 1 shotted everything and crit like a mad man. And here's a melee Zer0 taking out Terra no bee etc etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F9HkeaRFiY&feature=youtu.be

That's the part that I can't get past. I shouldn't have to hide from enemies until my buffs recharge. Every other character can hold their own without using their Specials except for Zer0.

No, you dont. Are you telling me that everyone playing as siren just stay near enemies all the time?

The reason you have to SOMETIMES run is tha being a melee character, Zer0 gets too close to enemies.

The other characters are not melee, so they keep a certain distance. Zer0 is close enough to touch them

Recarpo

Cool.

I understand the game should be hard, and I've made it alright. but he just seems pretty weak. Maybe it's that way for everyone... I don't know. But I just killed the
gluttonous thresher
on TVHM at level 39, and the thresher and Constructor before it were ridiculously hard....

I've gone all into the sniper tree and the best advice I would give is get a better sniper bonus if it does extra critical damage, have grenades that have a wide area, big mirv/singularity for crowd control, and have a very strong shotgun for shifty things, like those annoying stalkers, that get close. I'm sure there are other ways to play it, but I've used those 3 things and am at level 43 and only died a handful of time so far on tvhm.

Meier

What?

Thats not what Im doing.

Im defending using Zer0`s melee build which a lot of people are complaining about in this thread.

The only complaints about the Zer0 melee build are from those of us who don't want to be forced to use it, not about whether or not it's not a powerful option. The fact the only way to upgrade his special is to dip down into that tree seems a little counterintuitive. The special has more limited use for one tree in general due to the mechanics of the game/enemy aggro but if you could stay hidden longer, then it would help make sniping a more viable option.

Realistically, you get 1 or 2 snipes at most before you're getting wrecked and then the special is effectively useless to you since it's hard to snipe when enemies are frantically moving AND you can't actually see their heads clearly due to the visual change. If you had 10-15 seconds to get set up and aim, that'd be one thing, but as it stands, it's only helpful for meleeing or getting a shotgun blast off.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Were you under-leveled? Thus far I've not had a single issue with Maya, Salvador, or Axton (though I'm still early in my Commando run).

I had to hide plenty as a Commando even when I was kinda overleveled. When my Turet was on cooldown I got hit like a truck, especially in vault hunter mode.

Wallach

Cunning seems like his most powerful general purpose tree. Rising Sh0t is absurdly powerful, and combined with Tw0 Fang makes most any automatic weapon a death hose. His only weakness is how frail he is compared to the others, but I think the short CD on Deception makes it relatively easy to handle. While I have focused more on my Axton, in terms of raw weapon effectiveness I'd definitely say Zer0 is more powerful. I just enjoy throwing a nuclear bomb more than Deception, partly because I get tired of getting knocked out of sprint every time I hit the button.

Edit - I will say that if you cannot get consistent critical hits mid-combat you will have a hard time with Zer0. His critical hit damage is one of his biggest advantages and is what lets him make up for not being able to take hits.

The only complaints about the Zer0 melee build are from those of us who don't want to be forced to use it, not about whether or not it's not a powerful option. The fact the only way to upgrade his special is to dip down into that tree seems a little counterintuitive. The special has more limited use for one tree in general due to the mechanics of the game/enemy aggro but if you could stay hidden longer, then it would help make sniping a more viable option.

Realistically, you get 1 or 2 snipes at most before you're getting wrecked and then the special is effectively useless to you since it's hard to snipe when enemies are frantically moving AND you can't actually see their heads clearly due to the visual change. If you had 10-15 seconds to get set up and aim, that'd be one thing, but as it stands, it's only helpful for meleeing or getting a shotgun blast off.

Ok, that is a valid complaint.

It does seem like they kinda push you towards that.

Before, people were saying that melee Zer0 is not strong enough.

That I strongly disagree with.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Did I somehow enable easy mode or something?

The game isn't exactly hard though in normal mode and at the beginning of vault hunter I was mainly using survival which is a pretty bad tree imo. I also only got upgrades primarily through quest rewards since nothing really dropped for me. With that said I couldn't just run around and dominate all the time without my turret tanking and adding extra dps in.

Cunning seems like his most powerful general purpose tree. Rising Sh0t is absurdly powerful, and combined with Tw0 Fang makes most any automatic weapon a death hose. His only weakness is how frail he is compared to the others, but I think the short CD on Deception makes it relatively easy to handle. While I have focused more on my Axton, in terms of raw weapon effectiveness I'd definitely say Zer0 is more powerful. I just enjoy throwing a nuclear bomb more than Deception, partly because I get tired of getting knocked out of sprint every time I hit the button.

Edit - I will say that if you cannot get consistent critical hits mid-combat you will have a hard time with Zer0. His critical hit damage is one of his biggest advantages and is what lets him make up for not being able to take hits.

Yep, that's pretty much the point. Zer0 is a glass cannon. He can dish out a ton of damage really quickly but he's also really frail.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
The game isn't exactly hard though in normal mode and at the beginning of vault hunter I was mainly using survival which is a pretty bad tree imo. I also only got upgrades primarily through quest rewards since nothing really dropped for me. With that said I couldn't just run around and dominate all the time without my turret tanking and adding extra dps.

Yeah and it's probably worth noting that I'm spending Golden Keys like it's cool.

Meier

Yeah, this is why I love the double barrel shotgun I have with him that has + crit damage. It is pretty darn effective.. but it goes against the way I'm "trying" to play him which is frustrating. Oh well, what can ya do! I'm still on my first playthrough personally due to a lack of time and FIFA also fighting for my Xbox.

Chris R

Does the Badass
Creeper
only drop it's gun in playthrough 2? Tried to farm it last night to no success :(

Also, me and my group couldn't finish the 5th round of the arena. First 4 were tough, but the final one was just destroying us. Didn't help that we were basically out of ammo around the time of the 3rd wave :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom