• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really now. Lightin' my Emptyspace signal.

And he arrives. I've played a lot of Zer0 I guess I should probably give my opinion on the matter. I should point out I haven't sniped much with Zer0 not because its a bad tree, but because of the way I play the other two tree interest me far more. I will admit melee Zer0 is fairly weak right off the bat compared to everybody, but its perfectly playable and fun up to that point.

Bloodshed is what I spent all the way to about level 45 playing as and had a ton of fun killing everything the only reason i switched was for the purpose of farming. The tree doesn't really come into it own until level 16 when you get execute, but there is a very good reason the game labels the skill as a game changer. It gives the player tons of added mobility and at the time it unlocks is a one hit kill on pretty much every enemy except bad asses and bosses. Its also at this point where Zer0's melee damage grows exponentially as opposed to the linear fashion it was before. The game from this point on is pretty easy. You progress down the tree all the way at which point you get Many Must Fall and probably getting ready to start TVHM. It allows the player to stay stealthed indefinitely against normal enemies and will wreck the bad asses and bosses. You won't instant kill bosses or bad asses, but ask anybody else who has played TVHM some of those guys take a good 30 seconds or more to kill. At this point you should start going down the Cunning tree and grab all the melee oriented talents in that tree including Rising Shot and Unforseen. Rising shot will single handley double the amount of damage you do and Unforseen is like leaving a high end electricity grenade on the floor every time you use Deception. That paired with many must fall is going to lead to a lot of electricity everywhere. Its worth noting that if you get Unforseen to 6/5 or higher it does more damage then any grenade in the game.

I have more to add, but that would put my post in the TL;DR category and nobody wants that. I will say that a Cunning gun/melee hybrid is a ton of fun and is really powerful. Its probably the best tree as proved by this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F9HkeaRFiY&feature=youtu.be.

Man I am absolutely loving this game so far. Just finished the Where Angels Fear to Tread quest. Spoilers:
The Bunker fight and then the Angel fight right after was fucking epic, the best boss battles of the game and way more fun than anything in Borderlands. I was tense and on the edge of my seat the entire Bunker battle, it was so much fun but also difficult to pull off solo. And then Angel and Roland. :( They definitely packed way more story into this game. I care a hell of a lot more about all the NPCs now.

I've been playing with Maya, currently level 28 on a solo playthrough, and I spend a lot of time in second wind. However with my class mod I have a 42% addition to elemental effect chance, so a lot of times I'll go into second wind and then immediately come back out with full shield because of some corrosive/burn/shock damage that killed an enemy. Combined with a shield that eats bullet and gives me ammo, Kinetic Reflection, and Backdraft, I'm pretty much obliterating enemies even though I'm constantly losing my shields.

Initially I was going to add points into the Ricochet slot, but I may end up spending it on Immolate instead since I do spend a lot of time in Fight For Your Life and so far Ricochet doesn't seem to be useful, especially since when I have an enemy phaselocked I'm usually immediately killing it for health.

All I know is after killing pretty much everything with Zero I find him to be the weakest character in the game. You can kill everything with him, you'll just have to work harder than everyone else. I'm still peeved that his class mods aren't as good as the other characters, I'd love a raw +gun damage mod like Salvador gets.

This is not true at all. Zer0's mods all have synergy with the exception of one. Maya on the other hand has three or four that to actually put points into all three skills you would never be able to get the final skill in her tree. That is a shitty choice the player has to make.

IronRinn

I think I may be suffering Borderlands fatigue at this point. Nearly 30 hours in at just over level 27 (Commando) and I just kind of want it to be over. Just finished the
fight with Angel
and it seems I still have a third of the way to go. It's just so much like the first game and I played a TON of the first game. Not even the loot can keep me interested as I have been playing solo and the drops have been, frankly, terrible. I managed to get the first SMG and a shotgun from
Moxxi
and I haven't really found anything better. Found one purple electric sniper rifle and the rest has been greens and a few blues.

Think I may just mainline the story so I can have it done by the time Dishonored comes out because, when I put this down, I doubt I'll pick it back up. I don't think it's a fault on the part of the game, it's just so iterative that I feel like I'm playing more of the first game and I suppose I've learned that that is something I don't necessarily want to do.

Not going to stop until I get to kill Jack, though, cause that dude is a dick.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I've kind of gotten to the point where I'm mainlining the story. There's just so damn many side quests its a little overwhelming. So last night I played through the mission where
You fight Angel. I honestly thought I was at the end of the game at that point. So then I go on to the next mission and go though the whole deal where you take the elevator up towns have to take down the multiple buzzards. That took a while.
. I'm just curious if I've got a while left still. And will I be able to complete the side quests after the main story, but before I start NG+?

Oh yeah and Melee Zero is still awesome. A bit tricky during some larger bosses, but still fun.

I've started skipping sidequests a little before the point you did as well. I do the ones that give me skins or particularly cool weapons but other than that I'm just going to be replacing my quest rewards on PT2 so for now I just want to cruise through it.

Xevren

This is not true at all. Zer0's mods all have synergy with the exception of one. Maya on the other hand has three or four that to actually put points into all three skills you would never be able to get the final skill in her tree. That is a shitty choice the player has to make.

Skill wise it's fine, I want more gun damage and unless I'm wielding a sniper rifle I won't get any. Only thing I have ever seen is +sniper damage or +melee, so you have to rely on his skills and for +gun damage you'd have to rely on his kill skills, which is fine if you're only fighting crap so you can go nuts with many must fall or death blossom. But if you're farming a boss then it's pretty meh. That's just my thoughts on it. I've already done my fair share of Zero and I'm moving on from him.

Skill wise it's fine, I want more gun damage and unless I'm wielding a sniper rifle I won't get any. Only thing I have ever seen is +sniper damage or +melee, so you have to rely on his skills and for +gun damage you'd have to rely on his kill skills, which is fine if you're only fighting crap so you can go nuts with many must fall or death blossom. But if you're farming a boss then it's pretty meh. That's just my thoughts on it. I've already done my fair share of Zero and I'm moving on from him.

I guess thats a personal preference thing, but I'll take crit damage and cool down over gun damage an day.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really worth farming for anything until you're level 50 and in playthrough 2.5

The Bee is worth it. ;)

I also would say don't farm unless you're having trouble beating some part of the game and need a boost. If you don't know exactly who drops what and don't care enough to look it up just farm bosses to see what they drop while you rack up XP and cash.

Lakitu

st5fu
I started a public game earlier. Never again. It was a fucking melee, everybody trying to kill every enemy as quickly as possible, get as much loot as possible... I didn't enjoy it. A hell of a lot better playing with friends.

AkuMifune

Banned
I started a public game earlier. Never again. It was a fucking melee, everybody trying to kill every enemy as quickly as possible, get as much loot as possible... I didn't enjoy it. A hell of a lot better playing with friends.

They rarely go well. Once in a while you'll get a cool person or two, but usually it's a free-for-all mad dash and I'm missing out on the dialogue/story stuff too.

But sometimes it's better than drinking playing alone.

Amory

Something that's always seemed funny to me in Borderlands...the bandits have trunks full of better guns and shields just sitting near them and they don't use them.

It'd be a cool mechanic if you're kicking ass and they run over to the gun trunks for better weapons. I dunno.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Or maybe, just maybe, melee sucks at the start, and gets stronger, and the other trees are just the opposite? Crazy thought I know.

And you shouldn't have to respec and change your playstyle every 10 levels, that's called poor design.

The game is fun, just needs some balancing

Good luck balancing the game so that every build for every class faces exactly the same amount of challenge throughout the entire game, across 2.5 difficulty levels.

I mean yeah, good luck with that.

That is so easy to accomplish that I cannot recall any multiclass game---that presents any sort of challenge---that has ever accomplished it.

Jackl

Well, I saw many saying that Zer0 is the weakest or that you couldnt play the game well solo.

So, i was responding to them :p

I believe ranged is just dependent on on gear, while melee is skill based. Once I got a decent sniper rifle, life was easy for about 10 levels, and then it was getting hard again.

I imagine endgame is similar.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck balancing the game so that every build for every class faces exactly the same amount of challenge throughout the entire game, across 2.5 difficulty levels.

I mean yeah, good luck with that.

That is so easy to accomplish that I cannot recall any multiclass game---that presents any sort of challenge---that has ever accomplished it.

I've got no problem with some classes being better or worse at different points of the game. That kind of thing has been part of games forever; look at wizards in D&D. Useless at the start, gods at the end.

Works especially well in games designed for co-op like this; strong early classes support the weak early ones while the strong late classes support the weak late ones. Wizards didn't end up with Power Word Kill without having a fighter along to protect them most of the way.

Wallach

I believe ranged is just dependent on on gear, while melee is skill based. Once I got a decent sniper rifle, life was easy for about 10 levels, and then it was getting hard again.

I imagine endgame is similar.

It's kind of the reverse. Sniping needs the most aim/in-combat skill as any shots that aren't critical hits are weak DPS wise. Towards the end of the game it's especially true as your defensive capability never really improves and incoming damage ramps up significantly. Melee you don't really need aim so much, just basic positional awareness and certain gear combinations (i.e. a Love Thumper raw damage type setup or a Law/Order life steal setup).

Finally got a the legendary head skin for my Commando from
Terramorphous
only to have it glitch on me. I clicked it and it said "UNLOCKED" than I went to change my head and it wasn't there, checked my inventory and it was gone. Love that glitch. Back to farming I guess.

Wallach

Terramorphous
only to have it glitch on me. I clicked it and it said "UNLOCKED" than I went to change my head and it wasn't there, checked my inventory and it was gone. Love that glitch. Back to farming I guess.

Might have been one of the other class' heads. You can activate them on any class.

kami_sama

Holy f**k!!!! With The Bee and Infinity,
The Warrior
doesn't stand a chance! In less than one minute, he is dead.

I can farm him for infinity without having to even replenish my ammo.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Playing this on PC have seen a couple post on their forums about it but anyone on here have a problem with getting stuck in random spots?

I just got stuck on a porta potty door and had to save and quit to get unstuck.

HoosTrax

The Bee is worth it. ;)

I also would say don't farm unless you're having trouble beating some part of the game and need a boost. If you don't know exactly who drops what and don't care enough to look it up just farm bosses to see what they drop while you rack up XP and cash.
I'm finding the Bee (the low level version from Playthrough 1) pretty useful for powerleveling my Gunzerker off of bosses like BN-K3R, Saturn, and the last boss. Gonna to get to 50 in a fraction of a time it took my Siren, although I think in the mid-30s to 40s, it becomes a bit obsolete, until I'm high enough level to use my Playthrough 2 Bee.

I think it's worth putting the time into farming, if you intend to level a lot of characters.

mauaus

commando.png

Think im gonna go for this, comments?? :D LOVING THIS GAME!!

nel e nel

if you talk to someone they'll show you the quest screen with information and rewards (gun/shield icon w/ color). I don't believe you HAVE to accept the quest when you talk to them...should be able to back out.

Correct. When going to a quest giver/job board, you can bring up the quest information, see what it is and what the rewards are, and at the bottom of the info window you have the options to Accept or Decline. If you decline, the yellow exclamation point still remains so you know that there are still quests there ready to accept later on.

qo4DN.jpg

So here you see the description, the reward ($63, 160XP and a green weapon), and Accept/Decline. (And scroll if the description is too long to fit in the window).

mauaus

Correct. When going to a quest giver/job board, you can bring up the quest information, see what it is and what the rewards are, and at the bottom of the info window you have the options to Accept or Decline. If you decline, the yellow exclamation point still remains so you know that there are still quests there ready to accept later on.

qo4DN.jpg

So here you see the description, the reward ($63, 160XP and a green weapon), and Accept/Decline. (And scroll if the description is too long to fit in the window).

So if i dont accept a job till later, it will scale to my level?

Ricker

2 minutes to reach 5 mailbox,with combat near them and they are fairly far from each other?...really?...also because of those awful on a timer quest,is there a way to get the failed quest out of my quest list...I will never attempt this again so I rather not see them in my journal...

equil

Terramorphous

You sure it was for commando? And he doesnt drop any Legendary heads btw.

You might have unlocked the legendary pandoracorn by picking up 15 legendary items.

Raxus

2 minutes to reach 5 mailbox,with combat near them and they are fairly far from each other?...really?...also because of those awful on a timer quest,is there a way to get the failed quest out of my quest list...I will never attempt this again so I rather not see them in my journal...

That is the toughest one in the game. They get MUCH easier towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom