• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paertan

So I got a sniper rifle after doing some Hyperion Contract and it keeps on talking to me. Keeps on making me feel like shit about every person I kill. It's actually a pretty decent sniper rifle aswell.

Haha yeah that weapon is awesome.
"There are kids on Pandora that can't afford bullets"
"Great now you are wasting money!"
"At least you stopped shooting for a little while!"
- when reloading XD
Almost did not want to trade for a better gun.

y0HIB.jpg

Anyone want this?

on PC

Grief.exe

Just got the game tonight and started playing, made it up until Sanctuary co-op with a friend.

First impressions is its really more of the same. Shoot the same enemies constantly, look for a better gun. Hopefully it gets better later, but I could have gotten Jet Set Radio, Castle Crasher, CS: GO, and FTL for the same price (pick any 3).

tauke

Just beat the main story through solo play with Siren class. The wave of enemies encountered before the final boss is much more tougher than the final boss itself-

Will try True Vault Hunter Mode later.

Wish got more Claptrap scenes in the game. :(

Amon37

Haha yeah that weapon is awesome.
"There are kids on Pandora that can't afford bullets"
"Great now you are wasting money!"
"At least you stopped shooting for a little while!"
- when reloading XD
Almost did not want to trade for a better gun.

"If you were a better shot you wouldn't have to reload"

Jae-F8L

Neo Member
If a rare item drops a box should pop up asking if the players wanna duel it out in a free for all. Last man standing gets the loot. Someone mod this please

kamspy

Heh, got my first Legendary at lvl 22. aaaand it was a Sniper Rifle :D (I'm playing Zer0)

I'm usually horrible at luck in any loot game. I may cut a small piece out of my TV and frame it.

EDIT: to make matters sweeter, it dropped from a lowley Scag Adult! I shoulda bought a lottery ticket yesterday. Damn.

I think I'm done with this game until some dlc that raises the level cap comes out, it sucks that I have to use law/love thumper as melee zer0 exclusively, wish there were more guns with 100% melee increase.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Is anybody seeing a lot of pesky screen tearing here. I am, though I am running this on a rig with gtx 670, i7 2700k and 8 gb ram.

Relevant game settings (I think) are FXAA on, 4x AA, 1680x1050 screen resolution, v-sync off, and fps capped at 60. I'm also using evga precision x my gpu came bundled with to cap fps to 60. Also, my graphics drivers are the latest (released last month).

I just got past the part where (MAJOR spoiler)
Roland dies and Lilith is captured.

How much is left? I'm kind of ready to be done with this game. I've encountered so many bugs that have wasted so much time and caused a ton of frustration.

HoosTrax

I just got past the part where (MAJOR spoiler)
Roland dies and Lilith is captured.

How much is left? I'm kind of ready to be done with this game. I've encountered so many bugs that have wasted so much time and caused a ton of frustration.
You're in the home stretch. I think two more major sections to do.

Back to the loot system discussion. Ok, lets go with the assumption that instanced loot is the fucking devil and doesn't belong within a skags length of the Borderlands universe. Ok, instnaced look = ass. Let's address the shortcomings of the current loot system and the lame excuse Gearbox gave for leaving it the exact same system we have seen across multiple generations.

First and foremost, as I just mentioned, they didn't develop this system for Borderlands or to set a tone for Pandora. This loot system is pretty much the generic standard for many years. Of course their variety of loot is brilliant but the actual core system is nothing original, and certainly not catered to the "tone" of the game. That is PR bullshit at its finest.

Second, the duel system does nothing to enhance the free for all tone that is supposedly the goal of the design team. If this were the case, I wouldn't have to accept duels, accept trade menus, take the time to put the item in the trade menu and then have both parties to agree. You think the asshole who runs ahead or kicks other players to steal loot is going to initiate a trade duel? If you really wanted it to be a tense, kill or be killed world where all loot is the ultimate prize, let me have a chance to seek revenge on the loot whores. If you sit back and snipe with Maya and heal all your buddies, you are enhancing the gameplay experience and getting fucked over with the loot. It rewards anti cooperative gameplay.

Third, and most offensively, they have skewed the loot system toward 4 play co op. Solo play loot is terrible. So now you are driven to participate in co op play, which for many means playing with asshole randoms. If you are going to essentially force players to engage with three other players, most often with malicious intent that can include kicking players to steal loot (so pathetic), you need to have other systems in place to curtail this widespread trolling. In the same way the mute button became essential for any competitive online shooter, similar annoyance barriers need to be addressed.

The Borderlands 2 loot system is dated and does not enhance the co op gameplay in a meaningful way. I can accept that it doesn't hurt the game either, but then again I am lucky to have a pool of 5 different friends to buddy up with most nights. I suspect many do not have this luxury. As mentioned, solo loot is very poor making it a shitty alternative for those who don't want to play with randoms and watch everyone run around focusing on raiding chests instead of fighting enemies. Moreover, the idea of "you really need to take your time and enjoy all the great dialog and story of BL2" is contradictory to the, "you get shit loot if you decide to play solo and soak the game in" So, enjoy the story but get fuck all as a reward, or play co op and fuck everything and bomb around stealing everything and ignoring all the story and dialog.

If we are to stay with this style of loot drop there needs to be improvements in the systems that surround and support it. Expanding the dueling system would be a great start. I think something like a bounty would be cool too. As amazing as the story and dialog improvements have been from BL1 to BL2, the loot is still king at the end of the day. Hell, even the in game characters are "treasure hunters". If Gearbox wants to avoid instanced loot at all costs, that is fine, but that doesn't mean they should just leave the current system stagnant and dated.

I think I'm done with this game until some dlc that raises the level cap comes out, it sucks that I have to use law/love thumper as melee zer0 exclusively, wish there were more guns with 100% melee increase.
Moxxi gave me a version of her "good touch" SMG with +75% melee damage......

But it wasn't called "Miss Moxi's good touch" it was called something like "Audacious Good Touch" and it had a bayonet on the end of it.

I'm near the end of the game now but I have three undiscovered side missions in
Arid Nexus - Badlands, Ore Chasem and The Fridge.
How do I discover these?

zlatko

Banned
I finally played again last night after I bought it. Instead of playing my level 7 Zero, I opted to create a Siren. I got her to level 7 as well and had a much funner time doing so. Died a few times, and I like her skill tree options a lot more too!

Excited to jump back in again tonight to do more for about 4 hours. Hoping to get to level 14. :D

garath

I finally played again last night after I bought it. Instead of playing my level 7 Zero, I opted to create a Siren. I got her to level 7 as well and had a much funner time doing so. Died a few times, and I like her skill tree options a lot more too!

Excited to jump back in again tonight to do more for about 4 hours. Hoping to get to level 14. :D

I've been finding the siren a lot more fun in early game than Zero. I'm slowly progressing with both but don't have enough time. I had the most fun with Zero when I went shotty and just deception into a close range shotty crit. I can't wait until I get the gap closer and the deception reset. Zero will be incredibly fun then.

I'm near the end of the game now but I have three undiscovered side missions in
Arid Nexus - Badlands, Ore Chasem and The Fridge.
How do I discover these?

Ore Chasm is the circle of slaughter thing (horde mode). You just need to go there to take it. I'm assuming your undiscovered quest in the Fridge will be the same and you need to go to Fink's slaughterhouse for it. Not sure about your last one though, you'll probably have to go to the place and look around for it.

abundant

Ore Chasm is the circle of slaughter thing (horde mode). You just need to go there to take it. I'm assuming your undiscovered quest in the Fridge will be the same and you need to go to Fink's slaughterhouse for it. Not sure about your last one though, you'll probably have to go to the place and look around for it.

Fink's Slaughterhouse isn't listed as a sidequest in the Fridge. The missing sidequest is more than likely a quest you obtain from a Goliath. You have to do the
Scooters girlfriend
quest first to get to that area.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
About 60% through TVHM and at lvl38. Trying to grind myself through to the end and farm
The Warrior
. Not sure if I will be at my highest level though by the end of this run though.

HoosTrax

The quest people seem to have trouble finding in the Fridge is the one where a Goliath drops an ECHO that starts the quest. I've seen the Goliath spawn in two locations -- in the middle, he comes out of a hangar door, and at the end of the area, where, again, he walks out of the hangar doors, right before the elevator that leads down into the Highlands: Outwash transition.

About 60% through TVHM and at lvl38. Trying to grind myself through to the end and farm
The Warrior
. Not sure if I will be at my highest level though by the end of this run though.
I'm level 47 and I just beat
Angel
, I'm pretty certain you're going to have to be 50 by the time you fight
The Warrior
, because the game really starts to ramp up in difficulty once you get to
The Man Who Would Be Jack
mission.

abundant

I'm level 47 and I just beat
Angel
, I'm pretty certain you're going to have to be 50 by the time you fight
The Warrior
, because the game starts to get really difficult.

Yeah, the difficulty ramps up big time once you start facing lvl 45 or higher enemies. If you don't have gear near that lvl then you're going to get destroyed in seconds. Good Gear really matters in late game TVHM.

I've been finding the siren a lot more fun in early game than Zero. I'm slowly progressing with both but don't have enough time. I had the most fun with Zero when I went shotty and just deception into a close range shotty crit. I can't wait until I get the gap closer and the deception reset. Zero will be incredibly fun then.

It's fun until you get to the point where you can't one shot anything without saving certain mission rewards until level 50

lucius

So I ran into the "Do No Harm" after talking to Dr. Zed quest bug, everytime I talk to Tannis she talks to me but nothing happens the check mark next to talk to her comes up nothing else, anyone find a way past this bug?

Wasnt Tinas dad
Flesh Stick
From the echos you get from Wildlife Exploitation.

I hope its not jack. Because then she would be rich, and not complain about another rich person.

Of course there's a sizable group that dislikes the loot system. I'm sure there's a sizable group that dislikes threshers. I'm sure there's a sizable group that dislikes the toilet humor or intentionally politically incorrect themes of the game. If you look hard enough you can find a sizable group that dislikes just about everything about anything.

This issue has also been discussed ad nauseum in the gearbox forums as well. The difference there is they've even done polling with those who would prefer the D3 style of loot making up a small -though vocal- minority of players. The difference is the majority who don't want instanced loot don't tend to spend their time debating the issue. You shouldn't confuse the lack of an opposing voice with silent agreement.

Couldn't find those polls on the Gearbox forums and none of the threads about this that I skimmed gave me the impression that the majority love the loot system as it is. As for the argument that it's only a "vocal minority" that wants instanced loot/dislikes the current system, I don't think you have any actual proof.

its not a hollow excuse, its absolutely spot on, just because other devs have created this alternate dimension where you see something different from everyone you're supposed to be sharing an experience with, doesn't mean gearbox has to follow suit to appease those spoiled by frictionless gaming.

Sorry but having a different opinion about how others should play a game does not in any way imply you're superior. Considering that you admitted that you actually don't play the game online, this kind of stuff just makes you an asshole who wants to proscribe others how they're supposed to have fun. Seriously. WTF are you on.

Fink's Slaughterhouse isn't listed as a side quest in the Fridge. The missing side quest is more than likely a quest you obtain from a Goliath. You have to do the
Scooters girlfriend
quest first to get to that area.

I found the Ore Chasm one a few minutes ago. I did the Fink's Slaughterhouse side mission a while ago but, its still telling me I have an undiscovered mission there. The description is: Level: 24 Difficulty: Trivial: Every once in a while, a Goliath gets a good idea...

The other one is Level:29 Difficulty: Normal Skags eat EVERYTHING.

Wasnt Tinas dad
Flesh Stick

I hope its not jack. Because then she would be rich, and not complain about another rich person.

Tina's parents were killed by bandits when she was very young. Flesh-Stick is thought to be the bandit who killed them.

abundant

I found the Ore Chasm one a few minutes ago. I did the Fink's Slaughterhouse side mission a while ago but, its still telling me I have an undiscovered mission there. The description is: Level: 24 Difficulty: Trivial: Every once in a while, a Goliath gets a good idea...

It's the Goliath ECHO quest then. Just go in the Fridge and he should pop up randomly.

Aggrotek

Tina's parents were killed by bandits when she was very young. Flesh-Stick is thought to be the bandit who killed them.

This is incorrect.
Tina's parents were tortured and killed in the slag experiments in the Wildlife Exploitation preserve. Flesh Stick provided Hyperion corporation with their location and basically caused them to die. Hyperion killed them not bandits.

Cat Party

Wasnt Tinas dad
Flesh Stick

Flesh Stick sold Tiny Tina's family to Handsome Jack for slag experiments. Tina escaped but her parents were killed.

And I really don't think Jack is her father. That wouldn't fit in at all with the story.

EDIT:

ok, thank you. I looked all over The Fridge and nothing popped up, I must have missed it. It doesnt even show a "!" on my map for that side quest.

The quest is started by an echo recorder that will fall from a dead goliath. I didn't get it the first few times I was in the Fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom