• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Borderlands 2 becomes a problem when you dream about finding Legendary weapons. That's all I have to say about that...

Randy Pitchford talked about nerfing it, so you might want to get one before you can't anymore. Plus they're going to raise the level cap soon so it won't be as OP then as it seems now.

I got this Bee today

but I've seen screens of better versions with greater stats (notably in the shield capacity). Is it completely random or does the quality of the item increase if you farm it in co-op as opposed to solo?

Another random thought that crossed my mind about all the side quests that were left for PT2.5. Does it make sense to complete them but not turn them in and wait for the level cap increase? That way, when they do increase the cap, you can actually get the xp towards level 51. Obviously you turn inthe quests for which you want the reward, but I reckon there will be at least 50-70 other quests left over which can give you a million xp if you turn them in afterwards. That's quite a lot.

it's random. basically, they all have different stats that "equal" the same monetary value. if you want higher capacity, you're exchanging that stat for recharge delay. If you want faster recharge (my preference), you sacrifice the amount of shielding. There is no "better" or "worse" version of level 50 shields; only different capacity/delay/damage options, of which your preferred combo of stats will vary based on your play style and class.

My opinion on Bees: fact - the Bee is worthless for the duration of time that it's not at 100%, period. The amp damage is a function of having 100% shields, so recharge delay should be the priority on Bees. As such, a Bee with a 2-3 second recharge delay is the only kind of Bee that makes sense. If you want high capacity, a different shield entirely makes more sense. I've seen 30k shield Bees with 6.5 second recharge delays and I'm like, "why would anyone want that shit?" It runs counter to the purpose of the shield.

Log4Girlz

I wish you could keep replaying the game from the start with the same character and have some elements totally randomized. As it stands, I'm not sure if I could raise another character to 50 :/

But if I do. Folks on a scale of 1 to 10, how fun would you rate your class? (I'm Axton)

Santiako

I wish you could keep replaying the game from the start with the same character and have some elements totally randomized. As it stands, I'm not sure if I could raise another character to 50 :/

But if I do. Folks on a scale of 1 to 10, how fun would you rate your class? (I'm Axton)

I love Maya's phaselock. It is worthless against bosses, but so fun against mobs.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Have any special tips for how to get to that evolution? The highest I've gotten is Ultimate Badass.

I was just in Tundra with three guys trying to make it evolve. Got Ultimate two times but then it never killed anything =/ Stupid bug!

Here is what I've determined:

Varkids need at least two members in a tier for one of them to evolve to the next tier.

Some varkids won't ever evolve.

All that stuff about varkids needing to be damaged a bit, to half-hp, or near-death to evolve? Also a wild goose chase. Don't shoot them, don't kill them, except when you know it will help(I'll get to that in a bit).

All that stuff on youtube about having to get the Ultimate to evolve by killing things? A wild goose chase. I tried that. I tried that for HOURS. It didn't work.

If you're doing this solo you can speed it up by using the app that fools the game into thinking there are more players. In my experience the app does up the difficulty/number of spawns but doesn't make the loot any better. It does help in this one because more Varkids = more chances to evolve to next tier.

Your evolve population doesn't have to be all from the same camp. This is the trick to getting this to work when it seemingly won't.

Here are my steps:

1. Bump player count up to four, either with 3 more players or with the app. I had to bump it back down to actually kill the bastard solo and even then it took all of my shotgun, assault rifle, smg, and pistol ammo.

2. If you normally wear a Bee shield swap it out for a much higher protection shield until you're actually killing the boss. Bee shield will get you killed over and over again during the evolve stages. I have a ~75k shield and a +30% shield relic for this step. Even with a good shield I die 2-3 times.

3. Go to the farm, run a loop between the two camps in front of it, forcing all the larva to come out. There are two "camps" in front of the farmhouse. You want to keep both of them "activated". You can do this by running through them, aggroing the mobs OR you can just shoot the ground in the camps. Do not kill any of the Varkids unless you absolutely have to. Less varkids = less chance for final evolution. If you die you'll just respawn at the new-u under the farmhouse, no big deal. Inside the farmhouse and inside the barn are two spots of relative safety. You have to watch out for spit through the windows and doorways but normally nothing beyond larva will enter those buildings. I did get a super badass glitched inside the farmhouse once, though.

4. If you're at 4 players chances are 50/50 you can get the boss to evolve just with those two camps. Every now and then some buzzards will come in. They can help or they can hurt. Don't let them kill any varkids. Do let them provide some distraction for you to keep both camps activated.

5. If after oh, say, 15 minutes of this you don't have the final evolution you're going to have to drag most of the varkids to another camp and keep them there long enough to add the varkids from the new camp to group. I like the camp in depression next to the bandit house that is on stilts. You can hide under that house and then just shoot near their feet to keep them at that camp and keep the new ones there. I've never had this fail once you get to that camp. Alternatively you could just start over. It can be done with just the two camps at the farm, without the hassle of moving to a third camp. Just exit out and restart and hope for a better set of varkids if you want.

This is the house I'm talking about. You can see it underneath the giant dead Varkid, lol.:

QoWz7.jpg

6. Bring lots of ammo, ammo regen, or an infinite ammo pistol. Since this guy is 53 he is a skull and consequently either has a lot of damage mitigation or an ungodly HP pool.

7. If you go to the third camp and no varkids come out it means you're at the cap for total number spawned at once. Typically this will mean you have a lot of badass varkids. Kill 2-3 of them and they'll get replaced by larva at least one of which will hopefully evolve beyond badass and be what you need to get the final evolve. You might also have 2-3 adults flying around, not evolving, you can also kill them and get replacements.

8. I never had to let the Ultimates kill other mobs. What I did have to do was have at least 2-3 Ultimates at once. It is remotely possible that the ultimates got some buzzard/bandit kills that I didn't notice but it isn't likely. I took an ultimate all over caustic caverns, letting it kill every thresher in there, at least when it wasn't stuck inside a barn or tree. What a pain in the ass. Don't do that to yourself.

9. When it comes time to kill him do not forget to put your Bee shield back on. I did this not once, but twice, lol.

10. I can't give many tips for fighting this guy straight up. I shot from cover 100% of the time. It is cheesy, but effective, particularly since parts of his body will often clip through the cover allowing you to shoot him without leaving your cover. His ranged attacks will knock you down if he gets a direct hit. I'm pretty sure he has a bit of a charge similar to the badasses as well. He shoots bug missiles like the Ultimate does, seems like you can get a 2nd wind off of those.

Oh, one last thing, I didn't have the blood of terramorphous equipped or in my inventory.

s
Here is what I've determined:

Varkids need at least two members in a tier for one of them to evolve to the next tier.

Some varkids won't ever evolve.

All that stuff about varkids needing to be damaged a bit, to half-hp, or near-death to evolve? Also a wild goose chase. Don't shoot them, don't kill them, except when you know it will help(I'll get to that in a bit).

All that stuff on youtube about having to get the Ultimate to evolve by killing things? A wild goose chase. I tried that. I tried that for HOURS. It didn't work.

If you're doing this solo you can speed it up by using the app that fools the game into thinking there are more players. In my experience the app does up the difficulty/number of spawns but doesn't make the loot any better. It does help in this one because more Varkids = more chances to evolve to next tier.

Your evolve population doesn't have to be all from the same camp. This is the trick to getting this to work when it seemingly won't.

Here are my steps:

1. Bump player count up to four, either with 3 more players or with the app. I had to bump it back down to actually kill the bastard and even then it took all of my shotgun, assault rifle, smg, and pistol ammo.

2. If you normally wear a Bee shield swap it out for a much higher protection shield until you're actually killing the boss. Bee shield will get you killed over and over again during the evolve stages. I have a ~75k shield and a +30% shield relic for this step. Even with a good shield I die 2-3 times.

3. Go to the farm, run a loop between the two camps in front of it, forcing all the larva to come out. There are two "camps" in front of the farmhouse. You want to keep both of them "activated". You can do this by running through them, aggroing the mobs OR you can just shoot the ground in the camps. Do not kill any of the Varkids unless you absolutely have to. Less varkids = less chance for final evolution. If you die you'll just respawn at the new-u under the farmhouse, no big deal. Inside the farmhouse and inside the barn are two spots of relative safety. You have to watch out for spit through the windows and doorways but normally nothing beyond larva will enter those buildings. I did get a super badass glitched inside the farmhouse once, though.

4. If you're at 4 players chances are 50/50 you can get the boss to evolve just with those two camps. Every now and then some buzzards will come in. They can help or they can hurt. Don't let them kill any varkids. Do let them provide some distraction for you to keep both camps activated.

5. If after oh, say, 15 minutes of this you don't have the final evolution you're going to have to drag most of the varkids to another camp and keep them there long enough to add the varkids from the new camp to group. I like the camp in depression next to the bandit house that is on stilts. You can hide under that house and then just shoot near their feet to keep them at that camp and keep the new ones there. I've never had this fail once you get to that camp.

This is the house I'm talking about. You can see it underneath the giant dead Varkid, lol.:

QoWz7.jpg

6. Bring lots of ammo, ammo regen, or an infinite ammo pistol. Since this guy is 53 he is a skull and consequently either has a lot of damage mitigation or an ungodly HP pool.

7. If you go to the third camp and no varkids come out it means you're at the cap for total number spawned at once. Typically this will mean you have a lot of badass varkids. Kill 2-3 of them and they'll get replaced by larva at least one of which will hopefully evolve beyond badass and be what you need to get the final evolve. You might also have 2-3 adults flying around, not evolving, you can also kill them and get replacements.

8. I never had to let the Ultimates kill other mobs. What I did have to do was have at least 2-3 Ultimates at once. It is remotely possible that the ultimates got some buzzard/bandit kills that I didn't notice but it isn't likely. I took an ultimate all over caustic caverns, letting it kill every thresher in there, at least when it wasn't stuck inside a barn or tree. What a pain in the ass. Don't do that to yourself.

9. When it comes time to kill him do not forget to put your Bee shield back on. I did this not once, but twice, lol.

10. I can't give many tips for fighting this guy straight up. I shot from cover 100% of the time. It is cheesy, but effective, particularly since parts of his body will often clip through the cover allowing you to shoot him without leaving your cover. His ranged attacks will knock you down if he gets a direct hit. I'm pretty sure he has a bit of a charge similar to the badasses as well. He shoots bug missiles like the Ultimate does, seems like you can get a 2nd wind off of those.

good tips. for my runs, there were only two of us and he spawned relatively quickly. we jumped down into the area past that little guard house at the beginning and just pulled them from one camp to another. kept each other alive and didn't shoot the little shits. eventually one just kept leveling up.

Conference Call doesn't give a single fuck about his 53 levels at all.

It was pretty interesting to see.

so to add: I think the only relevant keys are (while being less verbose):

1.) Don't kill the little ones. Ever.

2.) "Coach" them to continue following you by shooting near them. bring them from one camp to the next. the more of them you have following you, the better your chances get.

3.) High cap shield - equip it or you'll die.

4.) Patience - Have it; it can take awhile.

5.) Healing class mod - you will get your shields knocked down every once in awhile. healing class mod helps with that.

6.) Shield relic - the more shielding the merrier.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I picked up that Minecraft Shotgun right before starting TVHM and it's pretty damn nice for the beginning.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh god the second timed mission in
Eridium Blight
... fuck that shit. The timed missions are so deviant and uncharacteristic of the rest of the game design in general.

Gonna wait for my buddy before I do it. I swear co-op is the only way to do those quests, or the teleportation trick.

Oh god the second timed mission in
Eridium Blight
... fuck that shit. The timed missions are so deviant and uncharacteristic of the rest of the game design in general.

Gonna wait for my buddy before I do it. I swear co-op is the only way to do those quests, or the teleportation trick.

huh. I found that quest to be really easy. It was just about knowing where to go more than anything.

Lakitu

st5fu
Completed the game at level 37, all in all, I loved it.

Oh, what's this? Tannis just gave me a level 50 quest to defeat Terramorphous. I think I'll skip that lol. Going to start TVHM now.

Is it possible to farm
The Warrior
and is it worth it at level 37? I did get my first orange from him, a sniper rifle called Dandy Volcano deals 1421 damage. Not bad but looking at the stats it's below my current sniper rifle by a fair bit.

Really want to lvl to 50 on my first run hate the idea of accidently picking up a side quest below lvl50 and having it permenantly locked at that level

Completed the game at level 37, all in all, I loved it.

Oh, what's this? Tannis just gave me a level 50 quest to defeat Terramorphous. I think I'll skip that lol. Going to start TVHM now.

Is it possible to farm
The Warrior
and is it worth it at level 37? I did get my first orange from him, a sniper rifle called Dandy Volcano deals 1421 damage. Not bad but looking at the stats it's below my current sniper rifle by a fair bit.

His loot wont do much for you in TVHM. But yes, you can farm him all you want. Beat him. Loot him. Quit+save. Continue. You'll be right back in the room with him ready to fight again.

abundant

Really want to lvl to 50 on my first run hate the idea of accidently picking up a side quest below lvl50 and having it permenantly locked at that level

That's pretty much impossible to do if you didn't know already. The highest leveled enemy in Normal mode is somewhere in the 30's.

HoosTrax

Theoretically speaking, I wonder what would happen if this game had a dev console and you could spawn Vermivorous into Terramorphous Peak.

The thresher's LOL-knock-you-clear-off-the-map trick wouldn't work on the Varkid.

That's pretty much impossible to do if you didn't know already. The highest leveled enemy in Normal mode is somewhere in the 30's.

Iv heard as much got
A few things I want to try to lvl my character to 50 before starting TVH. Jumping into games with people already playing TVH, farming terra and vermi

abundant

So what sort of level should I be looking to start TVHM at? I'm guessing around 35 based on one of the posts above.

Between 30 to 35. Enemies in the first area will be about lvl 32 - 35 when you start it.

I also finished TVHM today and have a lvl 50 Siren. Now time to start farming/wait for Gaige.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
huh. I found that quest to be really easy. It was just about knowing where to go more than anything.
The first one was a pain in the ass, especially if you don't clear out the enemies beforehand, so I'm just not gonna bother.

These two timed quests are just weird anomalies in the grand scheme of things.

Megasoum

Banned
The first one was a pain in the ass, especially if you don't clear out the enemies beforehand, so I'm just not gonna bother.

These two timed quests are just weird anomalies in the grand scheme of things.

The one in the Highlands is the worse. I had to retry it a couple of times before finally finishing it.

sflufan

Banned
Don't tell me there's more... I though I was finally close to done with sidequests now that
Hero's Pass
is next up on my docket.

Well, I just read what you wrote and the one in Eridium Bright is the 3rd time mission.

I think you missed the very first one!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well, I just read what you wrote and the one in Eridium Bright is the 3rd time mission.

I think you missed the very first one!
Maybe I'm forgetting what it was.

Wait there's three I can remember:
Eridium Blight
Highlands
The train explosion one

Is that all? oh god my quest completion OCD is consuming me, please don't tell me I missed more D:

sflufan

Banned
I'm referring to the "mailbox missions" as the timed ones. You've mentioned two of them (Eridium Blight and Highlands), but there's one that's at the very start of the game.

Edit: it's called "Neither Rain nor Sleet nor Skags" and is picked up at Happy Pigs Motel bounty board in Three Horns Divide.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm referring to the "mailbox missions" as the timed ones. You've mentioned two of them (Eridium Blight and Highlands), but there's one that's at the very start of the game.

Edit: it's called "Neither Rain nor Sleet nor Skags" and is picked up at Happy Pigs Motel bounty board in Three Horns Divide.
Ah okay I remember doing that now. *phew*

*goes back to purging it from memory*

Cat Party

I have to believe the Overlook timed quest is borked somehow. The other ones are extremely easy in comparison. Overlook doesn't give you enough time from picking up the packages.

I beat the game twice this weekend, once solo, once with my brother in law. Both times at level 33-34. No legendary drops :(

BTW, if you open the golden chest and don't see what you like, can you quit to the dash and then restart without losing a key?

RS4-

Damn, no luck getting conference call. Must've tried 20-30 times. Then again I'm still doing it on normal. Didn't feel like going through TVHM.

legbone

I have to believe the Overlook timed quest is borked somehow. The other ones are extremely easy in comparison. Overlook doesn't give you enough time from picking up the packages.

I beat the game twice this weekend, once solo, once with my brother in law. Both times at level 33-34. No legendary drops :(

BTW, if you open the golden chest and don't see what you like, can you quit to the dash and then restart without losing a key?

put a car by the ones that are in the mountains. then go back to overlook, start the mission and then use the catch-a-ride to teleport to it. get those three then drive down to the one by the water. then drive to the fast travel station that is nearby (very close with some vending machines) and fast travel to overlook. voila. i had been trying and trying (with much cussing) then figured out this plan eventually (i thought up the fast travel part only, not the teleport, i got that from a gaffer).

edit: also before you do it go to the areas and clear out all of the enemies. some may respawn but most won't.

Hela

I accidentally joined a game where the guys were farming Terramophous and I think I broke the game for myself untill the first DLC. The gear it dropped was quite ridiculous, so much so that there is no point at looking at anything that drops from anyone except the Warrior after that.
Will farm him again when he starts dropping an orange mod for the mechromancer though.

Ark

The key will get used up, as I learned to my detriment when I tried to do what you described.

Ark

Did you pick up the items or leave them in the chest?

I actually did this on PC. I opened the chest, looted the items and then went to drop one of my older purple guns so a friend could pick it up during our co-op game. But the gun fell through the floor so I alt+F4'd so the gun would save back in my inventory.

What I didn't realise was that the game didn't save me opening the chest. So when I logged back in the guns I got from the chest were gone, and the key was used up too.

Psi

Damn, no luck getting conference call. Must've tried 20-30 times. Then again I'm still doing it on normal. Didn't feel like going through TVHM.

I've done that at least that many times on TVHM and I've yet to get a legendary from him. They really need to up the drop rate.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

TVHM really isn't that bad...

I think a lot of people who have trouble with the difficulty are just stunned that you can get slapped in the face for having a shitty build and crappy weapons/shields right out the gate. You don't even need orange or purples or anything super rare either.

Just started THVM with Maya, level 36 right now.

What stats should I be having for my weapons/shields at this point? I feel like I'm already struggling against bandits. Also, the Scavengers are a pain in the ass, one second they don't have a shield, the next they do. Bah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom