• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kami_sama

For those that want to be a DPS machine, the Big Little Trouble is just perfect for you. It's the tree that I hoped Maya would have.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mechromancer trees are interesting. Seems like her trees are more built around just doing one, instead of mixing and matching.

I think mine is going to look like this:

screenshot20121008at545.png

Not sold on Anarchy (because I don't really understand it yet), but it was the only way to get to those 2 points on the second level of that tree that I did want.

Her + Legendary Thunderball Fists = :-O

It's entirely possible that I end up with only points in the first 2 trees.

Doorman

I'm really curious to see just how the drastic dip in accuracy affects Ordered Chaos builds. It's definitely a bold step they're taking with it, the whole tree feels like it practically forgets that Deathtrap is there and focuses Gaige around this totally new Anarchy mechanic. But what good is all that damage if you can't hit anybody?

I'd be curious to see how this works if you paired it with a Hyperion SMG.

Derrick01

Banned
It kind of sucks that I pretty much can't use most or all of Gaige's far right tree because of Anarchy since I'm the kind of person who has an OCD problem with reloading too early even if only 1 shot was fired.

If I hadn't triggered the Vermivorous evolution three times the first time I ever attempted to do so, I wouldn't believe it was possible. Since I've begun to actively try to farm Vermivorous I've tried all of the various methods without any success. Farmed Vakrids for hours, hopping between the Caustic Caverns and Tundra Express Farmhouse and haven't been able to get Vermivorous to reappear. Even have the Blood of Terramorphous and that doesn't seem to make a difference.

I wish you could simply trigger a Ultimate Badass pod and then inject it to make Vermivorous appear. There should simply be a guaranteed manner to make it appear.

It kind of sucks that I pretty much can't use most or all of Gaige's far right tree because of Anarchy since I'm the kind of person who has an OCD problem with reloading too early even if only 1 shot was fired.

I'm like that too but Money Shot in the Gunzerker tree has done a great job of getting me to use the last bullet in the magazine and not using reload.

Yep, that'd be me.

you'd think that would be everyone, given the power advantage elemental weapons give. particularly against Loaders, which I feel like represent 50% of the enemies in the game at present.

The only non-elemental weapons I ever used with frequency were Jachobs pistols and sniper rifles.

Doorman

On an extra two minutes'-worth of reflection, I may be reversing my trepidation on the Ordered Chaos tree already. It occurred to me that, as a lover of Jakobs shotguns already, this is something that could really become beastly as long as you have some sort of bolstering to your shields and/or health.

Most shotties have small enough clips already that the loss of magazine size from "Smaller, faster, lighter" wouldn't affect it at all, you'd be quickly reloading after a shot or two, quickly gaining Anarchy stacks. Fighting at close range with a shotgun often sacrifices your accuracy stat anyway, so as long as you're close the power-stacked shots that do hit should be more than enough to compensate for the part of your spread that misses.

And now, combine that with Close Enough from the BFF tree. Now, even the bullets from your shotgun spread that miss, might still ricochet back and hit your target, with power from the Anarchy stacks cancelling out the power loss from Close Enough. You could mow down most enemies with sheer power within moments once you started building stacks. Crazy potential, if it works like I think it could.

On an extra two minutes'-worth of reflection, I may be reversing my trepidation on the Ordered Chaos tree already. It occurred to me that, as a lover of Jakobs shotguns already, this is something that could really become beastly as long as you have some sort of bolstering to your shields and/or health.

Most shotties have small enough clips already that the loss of magazine size from "Smaller, faster, lighter" wouldn't affect it at all, you'd be quickly reloading after a shot or two, quickly gaining Anarchy stacks. Fighting at close range with a shotgun often sacrifices your accuracy stat anyway, so as long as you're close the power-stacked shots that do hit should be more than enough to compensate for the part of your spread that misses.

And now, combine that with Close Enough from the BFF tree. Now, even the bullets from your shotgun spread that miss, might still ricochet back and hit your target, with power from the Anarchy stacks cancelling out the power loss from Close Enough. You could mow down most enemies with sheer power within moments once you started building stacks. Crazy potential, if it works like I think it could.
could be interesting.

...but -260% accuracy is fucking with my head. Is there even a point to aiming at the enemy? seems you just kinda aim in the general direction and pray.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
you'd think that would be everyone, given the power advantage elemental weapons give. particularly against Loaders, which I feel like represent 50% of the enemies in the game at present.

The only non-elemental weapons I ever used with frequency were Jachobs pistols and sniper rifles.
Yeah I don't see how you wouldn't be a fan of elemental weapons.

Buffalo and Jacobs shotties for raw damage are pretty much the only non-elemental weapons I use.

Doorman

could be interesting.

...but -260% accuracy is fucking with my head. Is there even a point to aiming at the enemy? seems you just kinda aim in the general direction and pray.

Is it even possible to have that much negative accuracy? What happens once you go beyond 0? I guess the aiming reticule would just disappear, but people already use shotguns with like...19 accuracy, I think at some point the lack of accuracy stat is made kind of pointless.

I mean yeah, everything about how Anarchy works is still all in theory, but I can't imagine that Gearbox would honestly allow you to stack Anarchy up to 400 times (-700%?!) and make it literally impossible to hit anything. Are they so lacking in foresight that they would design an entire tree around a mechanic that makes the game nearly impossible to play?

Is it even possible to have that much negative accuracy? What happens once you go beyond 0? I guess the aiming reticule would just disappear, but people already use shotguns with like...19 accuracy, I think at some point the lack of accuracy stat is made kind of pointless.

I mean yeah, everything about how Anarchy works is still all in theory, but I can't imagine that Gearbox would honestly allow you to stack Anarchy up to 400 times (-700%?!) and make it literally impossible to hit anything. Are they so lacking in foresight that they would design an entire tree around a mechanic that makes the game nearly impossible to play?

that is the question. If anything, I'll probably take my Mancer to level 50 with green and blue trees...then respec for shits and giggles after.

I like surprises.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
could be interesting.

With bonus stacks you are looking at over 500% bonus gun damage.
Just touch the enemy or use hyperion weapons. Pretty sure they all scale % wise so you'd have half your clip effectively usable + reflected bullets + bonus firerate on the last half clip.

Randdalf

I'm enjoying theorycrafting for Gaige. This is my idea for an Anarchy based tree which maxes utilisation of With Claws.

anarchy_tree.png

First things first, unbind your reload key in settings (PC only?) so you don't accidentally prematurely reload.

The idea with this is that the skills in the Ordered Chaos tree max out skills which give you stacks of Anarchy or increase the chance to get them, whilst avoiding skills which make you lose Anarchy (though clever use of Discord could help, I'm not using it here). You also get Annoyed Android, The Nth Degree and Smaller, Light, Faster to help unlock With Claws without adversely affecting Anarchy.

In the Little Big Trouble tree, the Myelin skill makes you slightly more tanky so you can help to mitigate the extra damage you'll take by going close range because of the accuracy lost due to Anarchy. The big choice here though here is the Strength of Five Gorillas skill, which gives each whack of a With Claws powered melee attack +15% damage which is huge when it's powered up by your high Anarchy.

In the BFF tree, we get Close Enough which synergises well with the Nth Degree and also helps to improve your chance of hitting enemies with high Anarchy stacks. The Better Half helps you empty your guns faster to get Anarchy quicker.

Basically, you try to max out Anarchy as quick as you can and then become a beastly melee attacker. You're going to need a good shield though, as this is purely offensive.

FrankT

Is there some kind of weird bug going on here? Been farming in Lynchwood this afternoon and I swear money keeps dissapearing for no reason. I had 1.2M when I logged off and when I came on I had 995k and money kept dropping earlier for no apparent reason.

Gaige's skill trees look pretty stacked compared to Zer0/Maya

The anarchy stuff looks interesting but, the accuracy decrease is confusing the shit out of me

edit: This character looks way more interesting than everyone else combined

edit2: Anarchy is a 'game-changer' skill and it's at the top of the tree. Why the hell isn't Execute at the top of Zer0's melee tree? You've gotta chase fools around in Deception until level 16

abundant

Just thinking about Sharing is Caring - Imagine what a strong Nova shield will be like. You'll turn Deathtrap into a mobile elemental bomb.

Just got the game for my bday xD How is the siren this time around? :D

Phaselock is a useful skill, but she doesn't start to shine until you get Wreck, Chain Reaction, and Ruin. By then, anything that can be PL will die quickly.

Wallach

they're going to nerf the bee? why and in what ways?

They haven't specified, but besides it being pretty generally overpowered it's actually broken and is supposed to have a more significant drawback that apparently doesn't work. My guess is that the amp drain was actually supposed to be some fraction of the total shield - possibly the entire base shield value - and the high recharge rate and absurd damage bonus were to offset that.

They will also likely change how amp damage is calculated so that shotguns (and other scatterguns) don't get so much more out of it than all the other weapon types.

I booted up the game 15 minutes ago and I found two lengedaries and an E-Tech shotgun in the span of 5 minutes.

o_O

Level 29 now, and have only found one legendary towards the beginning of the game (it was a level 4 weapon). I used it though all the way up to like level 18, it was that good. Had to retire it... I want another legendary so badly!

Majukun

first quick attempt at a shotgun build...big shield,big damage,low health and little magazine with frequent reloads

www_borderlands2_com_2012_10_9_1_37_26.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom