• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Where do you farm the infinity pistol? I saw a video that had it drop from Doc Mercy but I don't know if that was just chance or if he is actually farm-able for it.

Coconut

Banned
I know you are joking, but there is no way they wait until February for the next piece of DLC. If they are following the model set by BL1, the next DLC will be released about a month after this one, give or take a week.

I'm serious about the forest thing. and it'll likely be Dec/Jan for the next piece seems like a a regular two/three month release seems reasonable and would keep everything on schedulae to wrap up in june 2013.

Didn't seem to happen on PC. Both Adaptive and Turtle still show their values for me.

Edit - On a different note, I kind of feel like Assault Rifles got shafted in this game. The more I use them the more I wonder why I carry any at all; the damage per round is just garbage for the kind of gains you make in mid-range accuracy over a pistol. Especially when you can mitigate so much of that just looking down the sights rather than hip firing. I mean look at these two weapons:

ibyi5p4spxEMZW.jpg

ifkHZWQxzc5Tv.jpg

Even if the AR had been a x2 or a minigun barrel it would be getting destroyed at pretty much all the same effective ranges. I don't get what they are going for with these weapons.

get one with high ammo/mag and enjoy never having to reload.

also, Shredifier.

Where do you farm the infinity pistol? I saw a video that had it drop from Doc Mercy but I don't know if that was just chance or if he is actually farm-able for it.

if you didn't get it from mercy, you may be able to get one out of the slots. I've not seen any other bosses drop it in all my farming.

legbone

well, i just reached level 5 on my mechromancer playthrough (still haven't finished my assassin either) and deathtrap kicks ass. gaige has just become my favorite character. i love how he pulls aggro off of me so i can clean up. decided not to touch sniper rifles with her since my other playthrough is a sniper assassin. all pistols/revolvers, shotguns and assault rifles. right now it's a little more difficult than my assassin playthrough but that's cool. decided to go ahead and buy the season pass since i now have another character to play through with. the other three just didn't really grab me like zero and gaige.

edit: and by the way---- VLADOF 4 LIFE!!!!!

i'm jealous of the weapons above this post.

Wallach

get one with high ammo/mag and enjoy never having to reload.

also, Shredifier.

I'd love to get a Shredifier if it dropped anywhere in particular. It's not even on Bone Head's loot table. Nobody's found any NPCs that have it. The Veruc is also decent, but we're talking about legendaries where the unique thing that makes them legendary is also what makes them unlike ARs in general.

The Bandit ones would be nice but their damage is fuckin' garbage even among ARs. The last one I saw with one of those sick drum mags did less than 6,000 per round. Fuck outta here.

Deitus

I'm serious about the forest thing. and it'll likely be Dec/Jan for the next piece seems like a a regular two/three month release seems reasonable and would keep everything on schedulae to wrap up in june 2013.

Ah, well Borderlands 1 released a new piece of DLC at a rate of about 1 a month. I just don't see them releasing them at half to one third of that rate, unless they are just really huge packs (which I would be perfectly fine with). The timing of this first DLC seems to support the idea that they will be putting these out on a monthly basis.

Though really, as long as they are offering the level of content that Knox did (I'd probably be fine with Dr. Ned levels of content as long as one or two were the size of Knox), then I don't really care how long it takes to come out with them.

Mutombo

Guess I have to rant a little bit...

Right now I'm at leven 21, and I already know - or at least I think I know - how the rest of the game will pan out. I keep seeing exclamation marks everywhere, but can't really be bothered to do them all, because more keep popping up and they take a pretty long while to beat. I'm talking about all the side quests.

I've been playing splitscreen co-op for most of the time, which is a tad bit easier but not necessarily more fun, and I've played a bit of solo, which means a bit more dieing but not that less fun. I think.

I don't really have a sense of exploration. I don't really care about the quests or story (which I never really do in a RPG, but that's because the quality of most of the stories FORCE me not to care) and right now I've sort of got the Amalur vibe, where I just want to get on with the game, finish it and be done with it.

Am I missing out on the multiplayer fun by not having internet access on my xbox? Or, as I am secretly starting to think, is this game just not that interesting... gameplay wise? I don't think the first five hours differ that much from the last five. Except for 'BIGGER AND MORE AND BETTER' guns and enemies.

I'll wait a while and try to trade it for Dishonored or X-com, which both seem a lot more interesting and challenging gameplay wise.

(In hindsight it seems that the point of this rant has been mostly for my own purpose.)

char0n

I just got to
W4R-D3N
, playing as Zero (Solo). WTF?! I cannot win. I have no shock weapons and one corrosive sniper rifle. His minions are destroying me along with those flying things that obliterate my shields and give his minions shields. I am lv16 and this is the 1st time I've had this much trouble in this game.

Any hints on how to win? I keep dying and trying to run back out onto the main map but more
bots randomly spawn from here also.

This is a tough one. I had the same problem but fortunately in the area leading up to it I found my first rocket launcher and after dieing 4 times without using it it made quick work of him. If you don't have one or run out of ammo, switch to your strongest shotgun and point blank him in the eye as fast as possible. Have something else you can switch to to kill one minion as quickly as possible for second winds/don't be afraid to spam deception as soon as your shields get below 50%. Good luck!

legbone

edit: to mutumbo

well, maybe borderlands 2 just isn't for you. that's cool. i bought xcom and have played dishonored. both are great games and you really can't go wrong with either of them. i prefer borderlands 2 to both of them but like i said, that's cool.

HoosTrax

Didn't seem to happen on PC. Both Adaptive and Turtle still show their values for me.

Edit - On a different note, I kind of feel like Assault Rifles got shafted in this game. The more I use them the more I wonder why I carry any at all; the damage per round is just garbage for the kind of gains you make in mid-range accuracy over a pistol. Especially when you can mitigate so much of that just looking down the sights rather than hip firing. I mean look at these two weapons:
I would really only consider using assault rifles with Axton. They can be kind of fun combined with a Bee to give the game a kind of semi-tactical shooter feel.

I saved this gun up for when I hit 50 with Axton:

Damage and fire rate are comparable to plasma caster SMGs, and for Axton, he would have higher DPS with this than he would with the equivalent SMG.

Hobohodo

So just started TVHM, are there any quests I should make sure to leave till level 50 so that they give me some amazing loot? I see a lot of people suggesting that the Law Pistol is a good one to save, any others people can recommend?

Wallach

(In hindsight it seems that the point of this rant has been mostly for my own purpose.)

That's not always a bad thing.

I do think the core of this game leans on multiplayer to help prop itself up; the foundation still relies on some very simplistic gameplay. In my opinion, the biggest thing holding back single player is the awful enemy dynamics. Pretty much everything besides the bandits and maybe some of the robot encounters is kind of shitty. Most of the enemy design for the "beasts" makes me pine for some kind of side-dodge maneuver that would allow them to speed up their attacks and make them more interesting. The way they currently expect you to try and use turn-and-sprint really feels clumsy and doesn't work sometimes anyway.

Nopren

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but for the people who runs with an Anarchy-build Gaige, you should know that you can cancel an accidental reload by switching to another weapon before the animation finishes. No more dropped stacks (unless you die of course).

So just started TVHM, are there any quests I should make sure to leave till level 50 so that they give me some amazing loot? I see a lot of people suggesting that the Law Pistol is a good one to save, any others people can recommend?

The quest from Lilith where you get the Firehawk Shield.

legbone

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but for the people who runs with an Anarchy-build Gaige, you should know that you can cancel an accidental reload by switching to another weapon before the animation finishes. No more dropped stacks (unless you die of course).

great news. thanks!

btw, great avatar. very nice.

Dunlop

How does the Siren stack up to the other classes? Going to play for the first time tonight with a buddy, I beat BL1 with the tank and did about half the second run through with the Siren and fucking loved her

Wallach

Damage and fire rate are comparable to plasma caster SMGs, and for Axton, he would have higher DPS with this than he would with the equivalent SMG.

I play an Axton myself. The damage per round and the fire rate look better than the average plasma caster (here's a random example). The reload however is twice as long and the clip is around 20 rounds shorter; you need Overload at 5 just to make the clip comparable and it will still valley harder from the longer reload. Not as awful as most ARs I suppose, though it is ignoring the recoil/accuracy advantage of most plasma casters (especially Hyperion models as they will almost immediately tighten to max accuracy) as well as the dynamic of the scope fire on the AR as they aren't all the same (some are fork-fire when scoped).

I definitely think there are a handful of ARs that aren't actually garbage-tier, but the weapon class itself feels like it has no identity in this game and for the most part are basically ignorable.

Would anyone like to help me with the Hyperion Circle of Slaughter round 5?

I have a game open that should show up under the user "Gabe".

Edit: Never mind... Stopping for now.

1stStrike

Banned
Okay, I don't have any friends to play this game with... will I have fun? I played BL 1 with a friend, but that was a long time ago.

Basically, how gimped/unfun will the game be without coop or multiplayer?

How does the Siren stack up to the other classes? Going to play for the first time tonight with a buddy, I beat BL1 with the tank and did about half the second run through with the Siren and fucking loved her

Siren is awesome here.

For co-op, Motion + Harmony tree (Res and your pals will love you).
For solo, Motion + Cataclysm.

Ruin + Converge is just insane. You may have some trouble with bosses who can't be Phaselocked, though. Wreck is a good skill too - increased firing rate + gun damage while enemies are Phaselocked + Slagga SMG with a 100+ clip = death.

Jinaar

Okay, I don't have any friends to play this game with... will I have fun? I played BL 1 with a friend, but that was a long time ago.

Basically, how gimped/unfun will the game be without coop or multiplayer?

I played most of the game thru to 50 solo. Had a blast. I feel this is the best way if you are invested in the world and the dialogue. When I played with people, I missed alot of dialogue due to people talking over the voices. Enjoy the first play thru alone I say. Then just eat up the rest with friends playing Twinks or doing Raid bosses.

85 hrs invested, 75 of those hours were solo at least.

HoosTrax

I definitely think there are a handful of ARs that aren't actually garbage-tier, but the weapon class itself feels like it has no identity in this game and for the most part are basically ignorable.
That particular one I showed has ricochet bullets, so it might be particularly useful against shield Nomads. Are there +SMG damage mods for Axton? I've only found SMG accuracy ones.

I'm not sure what they can do to make ARs more distinct. The battle rifle function (long range accurate fire) is a niche that's already filled by DAHL sniper rifles which fire 3 round bursts when zoomed. And SMGs feel more effective than machine guns.

Wallach

That particular one I showed has ricochet bullets, so it might be particularly useful against shield Nomads. Are there +SMG damage mods for Axton? I've only found SMG accuracy ones.

I'm not sure what they can do to make ARs more distinct. The battle rifle function (long range accurate fire) is a niche that's already filled by DAHL sniper rifles which fire 3 round bursts when zoomed. And SMGs feel more effective than machine guns.

I think what they really need to do is two-fold: crank the fire rate and mag size up on the machine gun style ARs so that they are clearly best-in-class in both of those categories while leaving the DPR alone (so that they suffer comparably in recoil/recovery and reload), and then going back to the "standard" style ARs and cranking the DPR way up while pulling back on the fire rate a little. Basically, the average AR should be hitting around as hard as a Jakobs revolver at a slower, steadier rate. They'd always have a decent mag and suffer a bit on the reload to push them away from pistols and SMGs, they'd hit hard (and thus crit hard) without being quite as spray heavy as SMGs. This leaves the actual manufacturer flavors to fit in decently well.

Strange, I've been using assault rifles as my primary weapon for the most part, maybe tied with pistols.

Shotguns and snipers as secondary, with SMGs and launchers (which have underperformed for me thus far) in last.

But I am not a seasoned FPS player by far.

Log4Girlz

I would really only consider using assault rifles with Axton. They can be kind of fun combined with a Bee to give the game a kind of semi-tactical shooter feel.

I saved this gun up for when I hit 50 with Axton:

Had a similar gun. I'm also a big fan of gattling guns. Found one that was like 10k x 3 damage. The clip isn't very large but it will crit hard.

Grisby

So is the badass rank/skin reset stuff for the new update? Was thinking of putting in the disc tonight and DL'ing Gaige but I might wait on a patch.

Lima

So is the badass rank/skin reset stuff for the new update? Was thinking of putting in the disc tonight and DL'ing Gaige but I might wait on a patch.

It has nothing to do with the update. It is not triggered by it. It can still happen though so just back up your shit every once in a while.

Dartastic

I'm a level 34 Siren on Xbox. Anyone have an extra Bee, or wanna help me plevel my character to level 50? It would be much appreciated.

Ken

I recall someone posting a link to a website with what all the red text in weapon descriptions mean. Could anyone happen to repost it because I can't find it.

1stStrike

Banned
I played most of the game thru to 50 solo. Had a blast. I feel this is the best way if you are invested in the world and the dialogue. When I played with people, I missed alot of dialogue due to people talking over the voices. Enjoy the first play thru alone I say. Then just eat up the rest with friends playing Twinks or doing Raid bosses.

85 hrs invested, 75 of those hours were solo at least.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl I guess. Just bought the game along with the mechromancer whom I intend on playing.

pardon my ignorance but does your badass rank carry over into other character/ playthroughs? i started mechromancer and am not any recieving badass tokens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom