• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

Why did this game have to be cell shaded?

I cant get passed this crapy trend of games being cell shaded.

Would you prefer gritty realism? No thanks.

The whole style of the game, from the frenetic action, crazy powers, enemy design, comedic value...it all stems from the same aesthetic. You're complaining about the very heart of the game.

Seriously, I think that Borderlands 2 is one of the best games of 2012. I can't think of a single thing it does wrong. I have a blast playing with friends and alone... For 5 minutes or for an hour. Perfect game for someone who doesn't have as much time to play as he used to, but still rewards people for playing all day.

Cheap college student here who is just again finding time to play games...is BL2 worth it if I'm mainly going to be playing by myself? Is it just as rewarding?

Seriously, I think that Borderlands 2 is one of the best games of 2012. I can't think of a single thing it does wrong. I have a blast playing with friends and alone... For 5 minutes or for an hour. Perfect game for someone who doesn't have as much time to play as he used to, but still rewards people for playing all day.

It's my goty, but the loot system isn't as good as BL1, which is a real shame.

FrankT

Drop rate is 3.5%
I got mine in about 20 runs or so. I have heard people getting it in 2, others nearly 100.

Know the drop rate on the conference call? Got my level 50 Bee in 3 runs but I've done 100s of warrior runs. Keep getting the crappy grenade.

Funny though I got a conference call at 30 pretty early on in my runs.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
2 hours in, and this feels exactly like Borderlands but with better graphics and auto-loot for money and ammo - which isn't exactly a bad thing, but it's not really exciting either.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
2 hours in, and this feels exactly like Borderlands but with better graphics and auto-loot for money and ammo - which isn't exactly a bad thing, but it's not really exciting either.

2 hours in isn't enough time. It's more of the same good stuff but much better variety in missions and personally, the locations/story/art is what makes this so much more. It's one of the best co op games ever in my opinion.

dalin80

Banned
I think it's better. Shields and grenades are actually fun now.

Grenades are definetly better with more options then BL1, sheidsl about the same they have swapped some useful features like health regen with more offensive ideas such as spikes etc. Guns are worse, may be more of them but if it isnt a quest reward or boss drop not much point even looking in random chests.

neoism

Grenades are definetly better with more options then BL1, sheidsl about the same they have swapped some useful features like health regen with more offensive ideas such as spikes etc. Guns are worse, may be more of them but if it isnt a quest reward or boss drop not much point even looking in random chests.

mostly definitely guns are worse.... I've used only about 30 guns...and sold the rest...more uniques and a little more oranges and better drop rate would have helped...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
2 hours in isn't enough time. It's more of the same good stuff but much better variety in missions and personally, the locations/story/art is what makes this so much more. It's one of the best co op games ever in my opinion.

Keep playing. I felt the same way at first.

Oh, I'll definitely keep playing. Just wanted to post my initial impressions from yesterday, haha.

Wunder

Borderlands 2 is one of the best games of 2012 for me. But then again, I most likely won't be playing X-Com, AC3 or some other big hitters this year, so it may be a bit skewed. I do echo people's feelings that the guns feel more sparse, in the sense that there are fewer 'good' guns. I also feel like they could have done a bit more with the grenade mods as well as relics/class mod stuff. The whole game feels really solid though and I'm quite happy with how they handled the humor. Would have loved to see the current cast be developed more since we're in a similar situation for BL3 in terms of what we know about these guys.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure how other people felt, but I really, really didn't like single player near the end and a bit through the middle. Played as a cata siren and man, bosses were a huge bummer + getting forced to give up after seeing a JET Loader fly away. *sigh* Co-op for me is most definitely the experience you want.

Tetra-9

So my game started glitching last night and my character will only move 10% of the normal speed. Any ideas on how to fix this? This is on the ps3 version.

DTKT

I just had a bug where the Hyperion talking gun effect was still active even if I had removed it from my inventory.

So annoying but hilarious.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even when it looked like that I was sooooo hyped. When they revealed the new art style I kind of flipped my lid and was convincing everyone I knew that they had to get this game.
Same, I thought it looked fantastic before, and only even better after the change.

The ideas had me more hyped than the graphics though.

Unicorn

I don't think I've ever seen footage of the game before the look change. Its funny what an art style change can do for game. I remember nobody caring when it looked realistic, but when that PC Gamer, I think, cover came out people started paying attention.
Yup I think the biggest factor to borderlands' success is its visual aesthetic. The RPG fans were already sold but this brought in a lot more attention.

jmood88

I love this game but I can barely find any really good weapons. I've beaten the Warrior twice and he dropped just about all greens.

LowParry

I love this game but I can barely find any really good weapons. I've beaten the Warrior twice and he dropped just about all greens.

I sorta have this problem but the exp was good for the farm plus money and eridium is great. I'm at lvl 35 and doing pretty well on the harder difficulty. A good fire weapon helps to start.

Usually when something about a game gets radically changed I always think "Oh, that would've been cool to play too", but no Borderlands' change in aesthetic is one of the best decisions they've made for the game.

Inskipp

Using a golden key at the start of pt2 helped me a lot too. Lucked out on a sweet Eridian SMG
I feel like rapid-fire e-tech weapons seem to be some of the best ones... The sniper/pistol/shotgun variants that I've found have been very meh in comparison.

Ricker

TVHM is just that for my level 34 Siren for now,playing solo,time to load the normal save I guess...I still have a few undiscovered sidequest to do...

HoosTrax

I feel like rapid-fire e-tech weapons seem to be some of the best ones... The sniper/pistol/shotgun variants that I've found have been very meh in comparison.
Other than plasma casters, the e-Tech rocket launchers (the BFG variant) seem pretty nice as well. The AOE for those is ridiculous. Very rare though - I've only found one, while I have a half dozen or more plasma casters and a boatload of e-Tech pistols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom