• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like rapid-fire e-tech weapons seem to be some of the best ones... The sniper/pistol/shotgun variants that I've found have been very meh in comparison.

I forget which brand they are, but the target seeking e-tech pistols can be a life saver if you can't find a target, but yeah I agree outside of the SMGs e-tech stuff is kind of lack luster. They have neat looking effect, but in a lot of cases the purple version of the weapon is just as good or better.

Wunder

:( A week of farming conference call to no avail. How are people getting so many?! Anyway, my Gaige is looking really strong right now - going an ordered chaos build with a touch of BFF, just to test of the digistruct claws. Anarchy is really, really strong but I think it's main weakness is how easily you lose stacks, making co-op play with an Ordered Chaos build essential. Losing 20 stacks in FFYL compared to losing all of your stacks by dying is a much easier pill to swallow and makes Anarchy really worthwhile. Also finding discord pretty useful for mini-bosses, where by I can activate it and use a one-shot shottie to stave off the anarchy decay and kill the boss, losing maybe 30-50 stacks depending on the fight. Can't seem to figure out where else to use it though, other than some quick hp regen.

CTE

mostly definitely guns are worse.... I've used only about 30 guns...and sold the rest...more uniques and a little more oranges and better drop rate would have helped...

I wouldn't say they are worse. I had TONS of great guns in BL1, yes, but I only used about a dozen of them most of the time. I think BL2 has less great guns overall, but the ones that are really good are better than the best ones in BL1. You know what I mean?

Still dying to get a level 50 Conference Call, farming is going nowhere. Willing to trade a level 50 Bee for it if anyone can help out. PM me, thanks!

TqGIF.jpg

Just used a golden key by accident at level nine. Man, they should put a warning sign or something up. I panicked and turned off my ps3 but it was already too late. Now, not only am I out a golden key but I also didn't get to keep the loot :/

Unicorn

Just used a golden key by accident at level nine. Man, they should put a warning sign or something up. I panicked and turned off my ps3 but it was already too late. Now, not only am I out a golden key but I also didn't get to keep the loot :/

So many people do this. But the vault icon save is happening as the chest is animating to open. hahaha Just embrace it. (obviously too late now)

But, try to catch some of the SHiFT code giveaways that give you more golden keys. Don't be hoarding them so religiously because chances are the chest will just have shields or class mods. You're lucky if you get guns, even luckier if they are decent guns.

tip jar reward?

I think it is one of the Arena side-quests' rewards.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It tells you when you approach it the first time that it'll take a Golden Key and it levels to you.

HoosTrax

Are they going to release that spearately for those of us that didn't preorder from Gamestop?
They'd better.

I don't know why publishers think Gamestop deserves that kind of special treatment considering how many people buy digitally or get physical preorders from Amazon instead.

Edit: Don't know if I'd be willing to pay for it if wasn't given for free, considering it sounds like the same deal as Moxxi's Underdome, which was by far the most underwhelming of the 4 BL1 DLCs.

abundant

They'd better.

I don't know why publishers think Gamestop deserves that kind of special treatment considering how many people buy digitally or get physical preorders from Amazon instead.

Marketing. Notice how many GS adds for specific games there are? Notice how many Wal Mart or Best Buy game specific adds there are? That answers your question.

Got my Mechromancer to TVHM and, for some reason, after playing a while with the Mechromancer in TVHM I finally started playing my Gunzerker in TVHM cos I haven't got enough of TVHM with my level 50 Siren. I'm playing this game too much.

Gearbox really needs to improve the item stat display. The item comparison display doesn't really do its primary function well. I mean I had the item comparison display try to tell me that a purple lvl 30 regular/single explosion grenade that did 10k damage was better than a lvl 34 Boom Bewm Mirv that did 9x9k. The two weapons aren't even in the same ballpark in terms of potential dps, one is even clearly inferior but somehow the item comparison display determines it to be the better of the two. What bothers me more than the item comparison is the red text modifiers for weapons, they're obtuse. Worse, you have to check out an external source to find out what they even mean.

I also wish there was a character stats page which exposed the player stats based on their level. It would be nice to also have how the current skill tree build, class mod and bad ass points each enhanced those base stats.

eemijun

Neo Member
I have an extra key for the Borderlands 2 Premiere Club for preordering from Amazon. They accidentally sent me 2 codes when it came out but I forgot about it until now. It should come with access to the new Mechromancer character also. PM me if you want to trade for it or ill just give it away if nobody is interested.

Edit: Forgot to mention Xbox.

Uncle AJ

I feel like rapid-fire e-tech weapons seem to be some of the best ones... The sniper/pistol/shotgun variants that I've found have been very meh in comparison.

I've played 90 hours and still havent found an e-tech weapon other than the one from Dr. Zed's quest. :(

I ended up getting a lvl 27 corrosive Bane, I funking love it. I just chew through Hyperion tech.

My friend and I used some golden keys at lvl 30 an 31. Feels like a good place to use it since you seldom get things specifically for your class and you either hand them to a buddy or stash them for future alternates. I have no desire to store something away for possible lvl 50 alternates where at 30 I probably get some use out of it. Just my opinion. The golden chest is not the end all be all of loot. It can be helpful to keep your game moving or if you feel like you are in a loot drought. Gonna save my last key for TVHM.

Wallach

I ended up getting a lvl 27 corrosive Bane, I funking love it. I just chew through Hyperion tech.

My friend and I used some golden keys at lvl 30 an 31. Feels like a good place to use it since you seldom get things specifically for your class and you either hand them to a buddy or stash them for future alternates. I have no desire to store something away for possible lvl 50 alternates where at 30 I probably get some use out of it. Just my opinion. The golden chest is not the end all be all of loot. It can be helpful to keep your game moving or if you feel like you are in a loot drought. Gonna save my last key for TVHM.

Yeah, the golden chest loot is actually not particularly good at all come level 50. If you have keys I recommend using them either right when you start TVHM (as soon as you get back to where the chest is) or later in the 40s whenever you run into difficulty.

CTE

Yeah. I got 5 keys left. Used one at level 25 and then I'll use another at level 35, then 45. That is unless I hit the lottery with the slots or drops. Got a GREAT pink weapon with my first key. E-tech Plasma Caster that I love.

I thought it was only purples in the chest, but I guess not.

Between my friend and my golden chest opens, two times were shields, two were class mods, one grenade mod an one was pistols. The sheilds seemed to be the most helpful and used the longest. The pistols are great but I would have killed for a sniper rifle. Most of my chest loot is stashed away class mods I don't need yet until I level up my alternates.

so how's the new class? Broken as fuck? Hope YES.

I went down the BFF tree with my Mechromancer and I've gotta say the combo of Upshot Robot and Explosive Clap is beastly in 1st playthrough. With Upshot Robot every kill Deathtrap makes adds 5 seconds to duration and 4% to melee, I've had up to 80 stacks of Upshot Robot. The robot just keeps going until it runs out of health. The Explosive Clap ability is an awesome AoE attack, it gibbed a lot of enemies in 1st playthrough.

In TVHM Deathtrap is a bit less effective. Sharing is Caring helps, it grants Deathtrap a copy of your shield but I need more points in Potent as a Pony and Made of Sterner Stuff to really see how Mechromancer stands up in TVHM. I've been running with Roid Shields to give DT a melee boost for when his shields go down in TVHM, which they do frequently at this point in the playthrough.

I'm definitely having an easier time of it with Gaige versus Salvador (I found Gunzerker kinda difficult in the early going of TVHM) and Maya (fairly easy). Cooking Up Trouble (2% per second at 5/5 so long as you have a full clip) has a better heal rate than the game's supposed tank class (0.5% per second with Hard to Kill at 5/5). Close Enough and The Better Half make high fire-rate, large mag and/or elemental weapons really fun to use. You spam one enemy and you can end up inflicting damage on the rest of the mob. I've got a mod which makes The Better Half fire at a 96% boost and a Bandit Assault Rifle with a ludicrously large clip, just the sound of that barrel spin as your fire rate goes up and up is awesome.

HoosTrax

Volcano sniper
Shredifier assault rifle
Impaler shield mod
Conference Call shotgun

Some other stuff I can't remember atm
As Jaundice mentioned, he can drop Flakkers. He also drops Leech tranfusion grenade mods. I've gotten corrosive, electric, and fire versions of it, not sure if there's a slag or explosive version of it.

I don't think the Shredifier is part of his specific drop table, it's one of the ones that drop from anything I guess. I would think that after getting almost a dozen each of every other orange that he's known to drop, it's not simply bad luck that I've never seen a Shredifier from him.

As Jaundice mentioned, he can drop Flakkers. He also drop Leech tranfusion grenade mods. I've gotten corrosive, electric, and fire versions of it, not sure if there's a slag or explosive version of it.

I don't think the Shredifier is part of his specific drop table, it's one of the ones that drop from anything I guess. I would think that after getting almost a dozen each of every other orange that he's known to drop, it's not simply bad luck that I've never seen a Shredifier from him.

I've been reading around that Conference Calls and Shredifiers probably have the lowest drop rates.

Also, I've been looking for a level 50 Legendary grenade mod of anything. Anyone want to hook it up?

HoosTrax

I've been reading around that Conference Calls and Shredifiers probably have the lowest drop rates.

Also, I've been looking for a level 50 Legendary grenade mod of anything. Anyone want to hook it up?
I've seen CC drops in roughly equal numbers compared to the other four drops in his loot table.
I've never seen a Shredifier from him.

---

Not sure if you consider Terra's grenade mod a legendary (it's eTech not Orange), but damage-wise, it's better than any of my level 50 legendary grenade mods.

Unicorn

That still looks pretty close to the finished product, the Reveal Trailer almost looks like a different game. It also looks like Commandant Steele was the original playable Siren instead of Lilith.

Yeah. Man, that reveal trailer takes me back. So hyped, regardless of what they sold me haha. Good thing it was amazing.

And you know, I think Steele would have made for a much more interesting character. I mean, if they had fleshed out the main characters as much as they (finally) fleshed them out in BL2. Her and Roland both had a history with Crimson Lance and that could've played really well into that story when the Lance had a presence.

It is disappointing that the main characters of BL2 have suffered the same fate as the main characters in BL1, in terms of having little influence on the story apart from propelling the action forward. The few audio logs that exist for them still feel incredibly flat and barebones, especially contrasted to the Echocasts released for Gaige. I find her a fantastic character and a lot of that stems from actually knowing about her motives, past, and exodus to Pandora. There is still time to rectify the "flat" characters this time around since none of the DLC has hit yet. Hopefully one of them is a decent story DLC that can give these characters more depth.

I'm also worried about skill tree balance, because right now there's a lot of thought going into which skills to take and a lot of choices to be made, but adding levels and skill points without adding a whole 'nother tree or a substantial amount of skill will result in a lot of players making very similar classes (what ended up happening in BL1 where you were able to get the end-skill for 2 trees).

ezekial45

Banned
They should consider adding high roller slots using Eridium in the upcoming DLC. That'll be a good way to get rid of all the eridium laying around.

I've seen CC drops in roughly equal numbers compared to the other four drops in his loot table.

I've never seen a Shredifier from him.

---

Not sure if you consider Terra's grenade mod a legendary (it's eTech not Orange), but damage-wise, it's better than any of my level 50 legendary grenade mods.

I don't think you have enough CC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom