• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

I've noticed that almost all of my Legendaries have been in maybe the first half of the game, all very early and regardless of solo or player count. I've spent a significant amount of time at level 50 both solo and in groups and practically never see them anymore. Purples up the wazoo, but no oranges (outside of Terramorphus).

njean777

Maybe I am missing something, but where do I go to access the DLC? I bought it and it wasnt like fallout where they just gave me the quest, do I need to talk to somebody? I have my TVHM character and just started the game over, I also know that the DLC content will be higher level, but I just wanted to know what I need to do to access the area...

MrDaravon

Maybe I am missing something, but where do I go to access the DLC? I bought it and it wasnt like fallout where they just gave me the quest, do I need to talk to somebody? I have my TVHM character and just started the game over, I also know that the DLC content will be higher level, but I just wanted to know what I need to do to access the area...

You should have Oasis as a fast travel location, go there. It's implemented poorly in that regard.

Hyperius is a piece of cake compared to Master Gee. Me and a buddy (Gunzerker/Assassin) can rip through Hyperius in a few minutes with neither of us going down. But Master Gee, best we can do is knock off 25% of his health. And that's with vitality relics and high capacity shields with elemental resistance. It's crazy how nothing puts a dent in him. We've tried the strategy where you get him to walk over the fountains of acid but we still end up with a pool that overwhelms us before long.

Wunder

Hyperius is a piece of cake compared to Master Gee. Me and a buddy (Gunzerker/Assassin) can rip through Hyperius in a few minutes with neither of us going down. But Master Gee, best we can do is knock off 25% of his health. And that's with vitality relics and high capacity shields with elemental resistance. It's crazy how nothing puts a dent in him. We've tried the strategy where you get him to walk over the fountains of acid but we still end up with a pool that overwhelms us before long.

What's your strat for Hyperius?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This DLC seems unpolished. I'm falling or passing through geometry and encountering weird invisible walls in addition to stuttering with the physX.

Unicorn

I dunno what to think about this industry anymore. Every game that comes out has DLC expansion packs. Borderlands 1, I bought them all, and I thought they were mostly alright add-ons. Now Borderlands 2 is out and it's been less than a month, we already have a full expansion? Something is screaming to me about how this industry purposely holds back content that's already finished so they can actually charge $70+ for a $60 product.

Age of Empires II (September 30, 1999), expansion the next year (August 24, 2000); even Duke Nukem 3D (January 29, 1996) had an expansion several months later (November). I mean, I'm glad I'm getting DLC but seriously, this just rubs me completely wrong... I haven't even fully enjoyed the game and they're wanting more money.

Ugh, sorry to rant. It's just messed up imo.

Honestly, Borderlands is the one game truly undeserving of this sort of rant. The amount of content in the base game alone should make Diablo 3 hang its head in shame. Gearbox has been doing a fantastic job with the Borderlands franchise thus far and I feel they are actually a shining example to the industry in how to do DLC right. How to do games right and especially New Game+ right.

What's your strat for Hyperius?

Circle him and his minions constantly and from a distance to avoid the rockets. Take out the minions one by one until Hyperius is by himself. When he starts jumping towards you, just haul ass away from him and when there's enough distance, turn around and start shooting. Always make sure there's a lot of distance between you and him. When he does that huge area of effect attack (the one where you get two powerful bursts seconds apart), I wait for the first one, then flip into Gunzerker mode to refill my health before the second one.

Beating him solo as a Gunzerker seem doable. I was able to get him down to 10% remaining health before he took me down. If I were to re-spec and mess around with the skill tree I'm sure it could be done. When my friend joined in, it was significantly easier. Never even broke a sweat.

BTW, it goes without saying that we used the Bee for the fight. Without it he just takes so little damage that it feels like we're not even making an impact.

Marvie_3

Banned
Honestly, Borderlands is the one game truly undeserving of this sort of rant. The amount of content in the base game alone should make Diablo 3 hang its head in shame. Gearbox has been doing a fantastic job with the Borderlands franchise thus far and I feel they are actually a shining example to the industry in how to do DLC right. How to do games right and especially New Game+ right.

This.

Wunder

Circle him and his minions constantly and from a distance to avoid the rockets. Take out the minions one by one until Hyperius is by himself. When he starts jumping towards you, just haul ass away from him and when there's enough distance, turn around and start shooting. Always make sure there's a lot of distance between you and him. When he does that huge area of effect attack (the one where you get two powerful bursts seconds apart), I wait for the first one, then flip into Gunzerker mode to refill my health before the second one.

Beating him solo as a Gunzerker seem doable. I was able to get him down to 10% remaining health before he took me down. If I were to re-spec and mess around with the skill tree I'm sure it could be done. When my friend joined in, it was significantly easier. Never even broke a sweat.

BTW, it goes without saying that we used the Bee for the fight. Without it he just takes so little damage that it feels like we're not even making an impact.

Interesting! That was our strat, kind of. We had 3 sirens and a zer0, all with Res. We decided against the Bee because I don't think we would have had enough capacity to withstand the double nova, since it took me down to about 5-8k HP with a 43k shield bumped to about 66k. If I may ask, what was your shield/hp?

EDIT: On the subject of the DLC, I personally don't have a problem with it being released this 'early', but I do have a problem with them being as buggy as it is being reported. Mechromancer bugs and this DLC seeing some PhysX hitches/floor stuff seems bad. Also I heard this particular DLC got outsourced like some BL1 DLC too.

HoosTrax

I wonder if Sirens with this spec would work:

Bee
+HP Relic
Nurse Mod
5/5 Restoration (medi-gun and +HP), 5/5 Ward (+shield recharge and +shield capacity)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So I finally beat the game. Ending was kind of weak and quick but it served its purpose I guess.

What to do now? Go straight to TVHM or should I be doing endgame stuff in regular to rack up XP? Is there anything like that of the sort outside of Terramorphous? I'm level 34.

Interesting! That was our strat, kind of. We had 3 sirens and a zer0, all with Res. We decided against the Bee because I don't think we would have had enough capacity to withstand the double nova, since it took me down to about 5-8k HP with a 43k shield bumped to about 66k. If I may ask, what was your shield/hp?

I believe I had 66k health and about 17k with the Bee shield. Early in the fight I could survive both bursts without having to resort to Gunzerking. But as the fight went on and he got closer to his death, either the attack got more powerful or it did more damage because he was getting closer to me. The second burst would always wipe me out while I was Gunzerking once I got him down to 10-15% health.

I think a Gunzerker with a Bee shield and a full Brawn tree (so you could taunt and refill your health completely while Gunzerking) would have a good chance of beating him solo.

So I finally beat the game. Ending was kind of weak and quick but it served its purpose I guess.

What to do now? Go straight to TVHM or should I be doing endgame stuff in regular to rack up XP? Is there anything like that of the sort outside of Terramorphous? I'm level 34.

TVHM.

Do not waste time farming anything in playthrough 1. Save boss and item farming for 2.5.

Wunder

I believe I had 66k health and about 17k with the Bee shield. Early in the fight I could survive both bursts without having to resort to Gunzerking. But as the fight went on and he got closer to his death, either the attack got more powerful or it did more damage because he was getting closer to me. The second burst would always wipe me out while I was Gunzerking.

I think a Gunzerker with a Bee shield and a full Brawn tree (so you could taunt and refill your health completely while Gunzerking) would have a good chance of beating him solo.

Are you on PC? Gunzerker seems to be the best class to do this stuff, with Maya a good support and Zer0/Axton not providing a ton in terms of survivability or support

Wallach

This DLC seems unpolished. I'm falling or passing through geometry and encountering weird invisible walls in addition to stuttering with the physX.

Weird man, I haven't had any issues like that. Mind you I don't run the PhysX stuff as I find it pretty annoying, but falling through stuff or walls I haven't seen.

Are you on PC? Gunzerker seems to be the best class to do this stuff, with Maya a good support and Zer0/Axton not providing a ton in terms of survivability or support

Yep, on PC (Steam ID). Unfortunately I don't think I can fight him again for the rest of the day (is that how it works with the new raid bosses?). Health regen and a Bee are probably the most important things if you want to beat Hyperius solo, IMO, so I'd think it would help to be a Gunzerker. Although I'm sure the other classes have builds well suited for taking him on solo as well.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't even understand how this is possible unless you're at the very beginning of the game. I was just playing with 3 players in (mostly) the beginning of the DLC and saw probably 20 purples in the last 30 minutes. Prior to that I was playing solo and saw probably close to as many in the same timespan. I've still rarely seen oranges, but if that's true and you're not at the very beginning of the game you are the unluckiest bastard in the world.

It was in the DLC released today and if I'm the unluckiest bastard I had the other 3 unluckiest bastards playing with me as well.

3 hours, 4 players, TVHM in the Booty DLC, no purples, no oranges, ~6-10 blues that weren't worth picking up off the ground.

Gorillaz

So....THOUGHTS?

I'm leveling up my Gaige so I can use it for the DLC (want to change it up) so how is it?

No spoilers was the story good? How are the new raid bosses?

Give me all DA info

Log4Girlz

Fought my first chubby enemy lol.

So....THOUGHTS?

I'm leveling up my Gaige so I can use it for the DLC (want to change it up) so how is it?

No spoilers was the story good? How are the new raid bosses?

Give me all DA info

DLC is very short, but very entertaining. Raid bosses be cray yo.

Wunder

Yep, on PC (Steam ID). Unfortunately I don't think I can fight him again for the rest of the day (is that how it works with the new raid bosses?). Health regen and a Bee are probably the most important things if you want to beat Hyperius solo, IMO, so I'd think it would help to be a Gunzerker. Although I'm sure the other classes have builds well suited for taking him on solo as well.

Added. Maybe you can take me through sometime :3

FerranMG

Finished the game yesterday wiht a lvl 35 Siren, and started right away a new game with Zer0.
I'm level 9, now, with Zer0, and I don't quite get the feel of his skill. How do you guys use it?
I feel like, whenever I start the decoy, I don't know where will my character actually be. I get a lot of damage in stealth because I try to approach the enemies and the hurt me many times.
Any tips you can share?

Log4Girlz

Dear god...150 anarchy....A striker shotty. Still nicely accurate. Oof. The best part is, 50% of those pellets that don't hit a target ricochet anyway and hit...so I'll sometimes use an explosive shotty for stupid damage.

Dingotech

Finished the game yesterday wiht a lvl 35 Siren, and started right away a new game with Zer0.
I'm level 9, now, with Zer0, and I don't quite get the feel of his skill. How do you guys use it?
I feel like, whenever I start the decoy, I don't know where will my character actually be. I get a lot of damage in stealth because I try to approach the enemies and the hurt me many times.
Any tips you can share?

Depends on how you want to use the skill.

I just use it as a distraction for the enemies, I throw it then run away for healing up. Or I throw it, and then dump grenades on it so they explode on the enemies that charge the decoy.

I'm not that great at using the character though, I just spammed my skill points into the Sniping tree.

Unicorn

Dear god...150 anarchy....A striker shotty. Still nicely accurate. Oof. The best part is, 50% of those pellets that don't hit a target ricochet anyway and hit...so I'll sometimes use an explosive shotty for stupid damage.
The
Minecraft
shotgun, from the secret area in Caustic Caverns is straight up ridiculous.

Dartastic

DLC is very short, but very entertaining. Raid bosses be cray yo.
I tried for quite some time to beat the second one. Did not happen. Hah.

Also, with all the orange talk, I have had terrible drop rates as well. I only found one during an entire playthrough, and it also happened during the beginning of my campaign. That's a bit... ridiculous.

Any tips you can share?

Zer0 is my main. And I play him in the most sniper of ways. His power/ability isn't that good for a pure sniper class, BUT he can put out a crazy amount of single target DPS as a pure sniper class. His power has been essentially a pop and pick up someone who is down.

Master Gee feels like the first "Invincible" raid boss that actually lives up to the name. So demoralizing to fight him for 10 minutes and only drain 25% of his health.

Log4Girlz

I tried for quite some time to beat the second one. Did not happen. Hah.

Also, with all the orange talk, I have had terrible drop rates as well. I only found one during an entire playthrough, and it also happened during the beginning of my campaign. That's a bit... ridiculous.

You know at the end
on top of that pyramid with all the chests? Man nothing but crap blue items :(
I only got 1 purple my entire playthrough :/

Dartastic

You know at the end
on top of that pyramid with all the chests? Man nothing but crap blue items :(
I only got 1 purple my entire playthrough :/
I really do wish they'd fix the drop rates a bit. It's really fucking stupid. Especially because if an orange drops in a party of four... good luck. Thank you based god for item duping.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm not finished with the DLC yet, but I've put about 5 hours in so far and still haven't
finished putting together the compass
. There's some fantastic artwork and atmosphere, the new enemies are good fun to fight against (plus cool looking) and I'm liking the area as a whole. Characters and dialogue are all top notch, so they definitely kept up the same quality that was present throughout the campaign.

Overall, I'm happy with it and feel it's plenty long enough for only the first of 4 planned DLC packs.

What I will say is, much like my run through the regular campaign, I've had no luck with weapons. Nothing but greens and whites for the most part with some shitty blues spread here and there. I've had 1 orange in 49 hours of play >_>

HoosTrax

So I'm curious. Why is it that the version of bosses like Terra spawned for a 4 player party take about as long to kill solo as the version spawned for a 1 player party? Or, alternatively, why doesn't the 1-player version have 1/4 of the HP? Someone is probably going to say, well it is a RAID boss after all. Which would make sense, except even in games like Starcraft 2, half of the players have never played online.

Just some random thoughts as I'm sitting here trying to chip away at the health of Hyperius's Minions (with a Bee).

demolitio

Exactly. I just looked and saw I put 64 hours into the game before any DLC even came out and that's with one character doing all the side quests and now 1/3 of the way through TVHM. I usually do all the side quests just to make games last longer but that's no worry with this game. There's so much shit to do that you can be selective if you want or make it the only game you play for a few weeks and do everything.

NG+ is brilliant in this game and it's the first game I replayed immediately after finishing without stopping a few minutes in. I agree that DLC trends are annoying now, but this game actually gives you real SUBSTANTIAL DLC that lasts hours and hours more instead of small shit that adds up to a lot of money over time. We get real mini-expansions that are longer than a lot of other games' full SP campaigns for less than we would pay for MP maps in other games out there.

This game is the exception to the DLC hate in my eyes because the original product is loaded with content and then they add to it with DLC that gives us a whole new place to experience and more.

Wunder

Really want to buy it now, but I gotta postpone it till next month. Lookin' good.

I hope Gearbox offers month than 4 DLC expansions this time. Give us at least 5 or 6.

Going by the season pass it'll be 4 'big' expansions and a few other smaller ones not included in the season pass. They could just offer more than that outside of the pass, though.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Going by the season pass it'll be 4 'big' expansions and a few other smaller ones not included in the season pass. They could just offer more than that outside of the pass, though.

The way I understood it was, like "at least 4 expansions". So I figured they would add a few more big expansions to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom