• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys which is longer - borderlands 2 or dishonered?

The base game of Borderlands 2 will take you about 40 hours with one character to complete the normal playthrough. This discounts True Vault Hunter Mode, probably an added 30 hours and farming for Legendary gear. Dishonored took me about 17 hours to complete.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
About to start TVHM. I have about 400k and 9 Golden Keys. Should I wait to hit the slots and the Gold Chest until I get into TVHM or should I go for them now. I think I may wait until I hit Sanctuary in TVHM for a few Golden Keys but I more want to know if the slots chances of getting something good are improved in TVHM.

Most bosses and named enemies have one or more orange items that they have a higher chance of dropping, but legendaries can be found anywhere. The chances of finding one in chests or off regular enemies seems to be extremely low, though -- with the possible exception of the DLC's final treasure room. They'll also very rarely show up in vending machines as deals, and can be won from slot machines by landing on triple vault symbols.

Alright that is fine. I just didnt want to HAVE to farm bosses for legendaries.

MrDaravon

http://store.steampowered.com/news/9210/

- Added a toggle for whether textures should fade or pop in when a higher-resolution version loads. High-end computers can disable this to avoid seeing lower-resolution textures streaming in.
- Added the ability to reset all challenge progress for a character once they've completed 85% of all non-DLC, non-area-specific challenge levels. This will keep the player's current challenge bonuses and rank, but reset all challenge progress to 0 and allow challenges to be re-completed for additional ranks and bonuses. Resetting is available on the "challenges" screen of the status menu and will display as a tooltip at the bottom of the screen if the player has met the criteria.
- Fixed a bug where profile files set to "read only" were not being saved.
- Fixed a performance issue in Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty content with PhysX set to Medium or High.

WHAAAAAAAAA?

On the one hand this is brilliant; while potentially abusable to some small extent, this allows players to just keep working on one character as opposed to being forced to keep making new characters.

On the other hand I'm OCD and have been working to max all challenges on my Siren. I've spent about 6 days of game time doing complete bullshit challenges, as well as spending about 8-10 hours playing the slots to get the Jackpot Challenge (which I still don't have, am the only person I know who doesn't have it, and proves I'm the unluckiest person alive) as well as maybe 15-20 hours trying to get Pimon to spawn (he never has). So for all practical reasons I would absolutely want to reset, which completely negates literally days and days of time I've spent just to max challenges which were not at all worth the badass rank earned.

FML

Borderlands 2 Update 1.1.3
- Added the ability to reset all challenge progress for a character once they've completed 85% of all non-DLC, non-area-specific challenge levels. This will keep the player's current challenge bonuses and rank, but reset all challenge progress to 0 and allow challenges to be re-completed for additional ranks and bonuses. Resetting is available on the "challenges" screen of the status menu and will display as a tooltip at the bottom of the screen if the player has met the criteria.

=O

Inskipp

Alright that is fine. I just didnt want to HAVE to farm bosses for legendaries.
Well considering that you got both of your oranges from bosses (according to your earlier comment), you kind of already did.... In a very shortmannered and an extremely lucky manner of speaking.

I don't even remember ever getting an orange drop from a chest. All of the oranges I have are through bosses, trading and the
Leviathan chest- room
, with the exception of an orange I got from the slots once. And it was a Flakker. After 100+ hours.

Pretty much quit the slots on that spot.

jsrv

Wait if it lets us reset all challenges, then what about ones that can only be gotten from missions? If you reset wouldn't it make them impossible to get?

MrDaravon

Wait if it lets us reset all challenges, then what about ones that can only be gotten from missions? If you reset wouldn't it make them impossible to get?

Without looking, the only ones I can think of like that are what, the optional objective one, and the Save the Turrets one maybe? You're not wrong, but I guess that wouldn't really matter ultimately.

While I'm unhappy I've spent a ton of time working on maxing out all the Challenges on a single character, I've realized that means I don't need to spend any more time trying to do the couple of bullshit ones I have left, AND I don't need to fuck with the Seraph Crystals or Master Gee challenges at all (it's never given me credit for killing Gee) so that's a plus.

Edit: Actually wait, I'm not on the PC version, can anyone confirm if this resets area challenges? The description says you only have to complete 85% of the non-area specific challenges to reset everything, but maybe that's because it only resets the non-area specific challenges? That would address that issue, but then still fuck me on my challenges. Damn it!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The Pirates DLC is fun but the location is boring as shit. One big empty desert. Feels like they didn't have time to make an interesting area.

The caves with waterfalls were nice. I think it's desolate but there's also some design going on there if you know what I'm saying. They certainly didn't phone it in. It's not as bad as the thunderdome. I'd rank it up there with the campaign DLC's in BL1. Not the best but well developed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The caves with waterfalls were nice. I think it's desolate but there's also some design going on there if you know what I'm saying. They certainly didn't phone it in. It's not as bad as the thunderdome. I'd rank it up there with the campaign DLC's in BL1. Not the best but well developed.

It felt like a slice of BL1 to me, not quite up to the quality of 2. The missions all felt like they were lifted from the first

Wallach

It felt like a slice of BL1 to me, not quite up to the quality of 2. The missions all felt like they were lifted from the first

Yeah, I would agree that it feels more like BL content than BL2. Right down to the rushed, sloppy ending and the chests that you were actually excited to open at the conclusion. Unfortunately the post-campaign content is just more BL2 'dog-doing-science.jpg' style shit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, I would agree that it feels more like BL content than BL2. Right down to the rushed, sloppy ending and the chests that you were actually excited to open at the conclusion. Unfortunately the post-campaign content is just more BL2 'dog-doing-science.jpg' style shit.

There was another development house I've never heard of before listed in the credits as doing it in conjunction with Gearbox. Maybe it was outsourced so they could get it out so fast. It would explain why it felt more like BL1.

Helscream

Banned
If anyone on PS3/PSN wants to join me and a friend to try and spawn Vermivous the Invincible send a friend request to "Helscream".

My NG+ is all level 50. So if Vermivous does spawn he will be LVL 53.

I am a Gunzerker and my friend is a Siren Nurse.

EDIT: WoW. Just after fighting Master Gee for 15 minutes. A fellow gaffer and another friend of mine got Master Gee down to 0% HP and the fucking game froze. What kind of shit is the Gearbox. Seriously?

EDIT2: WOW! Just killed him a second time and the game froze again?! WTF?!

one_kill

If anyone on PS3/PSN wants to join me and a friend to try and spawn Vermivous the Invincible send a friend request to "Helscream".

My NG+ is all level 50. So if Vermivous does spawn he will be LVL 53.

I am a Gunzerker and my friend is a Siren Nurse.

EDIT: WoW. Just after fighting Master Gee for 15 minutes. A fellow gaffer and another friend of mine got Master Gee down to 0% HP and the fucking game froze. What kind of shit is the Gearbox. Seriously?

EDIT2: WOW! Just killed him a second time and the game froze again?! WTF?!
Yeah, it sucks man! I'll join you again later if you're still on

Naito

Anyone on steam that would like to coop with me? :)
I started some weeks ago and would like to continue now - have a zer0 lvl30.

Aguirre

i'm thinking about getting this game. i liked borderlands 2, but i didnt like the physics.

kind of a weird criticism, i know. im wondering if the physics - particularly body physics like when you kill someone - have they been improved? they felt so wooden before

i'm thinking about getting this game. i liked borderlands 2, but i didnt like the physics.

kind of a weird criticism, i know. im wondering if the physics - particularly body physics like when you kill someone - have they been improved? they felt so wooden before

Body physics isn't the highlight of this game at all. PhysX effects on the other hand, can be quite nice. :)

The physics when you blow up a plane and see a guy fly for miles and miles from the explosion is fuckawesome.

The fact that's the only instance of the physics actually getting my attention says it all, though, really. No idea why that'd be a big concern one way or another with a game like BL.

D6AMIA6N

Feeling pretty burnt out after only getting one character to level 37 in TVHM since launch. How any of you have pushed multiple characters to 50 is beyond me. Agree, the DLC is decent, but feels too simplistic, more like Borderlands 1 then 2. Still a great game with a ton of content. I think playing multi would make it exciting again, so look for me on Live, GT: D6AMIA6N. Will be on late tonight EST. Thanks!

one_kill

Feeling pretty burnt out after only getting one character to level 37 in TVHM since launch. How any of you have pushed multiple characters to 50 is beyond me. Agree, the DLC is decent, but feels too simplistic, more like Borderlands 1 then 2. Still a great game with a ton of content. I think playing multi would make it exciting again, so look for me on Live, GT: D6AMIA6N. Will be on late tonight EST. Thanks!
I pushed through TVHM and level 50 via coop. After getting some awesome guns, I started boosting new characters.

There's also the Tiny Tina trick. I wish I knew of it before I completed it :\

AEREC

Not much has changed to the world physics since BL1, cars still feel like they are floating and get stuck on tiny rocks.

But for PC, the physx implementation for particle effects is amazing...but also resource demanding.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Asking again before I jump into TVHM. Worth using some Golden Keys/hitting the slots before starting or should I wait until I start TVHM? I got some badass stuff in the DLC but it's only level 30 whereas I'm 35.

Why do they use ct? I don't care where you're stationed, either use pst or est. 2 hours ahead of pst but one hour behind est? Lame...
Please tell me you clicked the link you are complaining about. They hyperlinked a page that AUTOMATICALLY DETECTS your freaking time zone and converts it for you. smh.

Asking again before I jump into TVHM. Worth using some Golden Keys/hitting the slots before starting or should I wait until I start TVHM? I got some badass stuff in the DLC but it's only level 30 whereas I'm 35.

i'd use them whenever you need a quick equip upgrade. could always wait until you get to sanctuary in TVHM. no sense holding onto them whenever.

i've had a total of about 8 and used 4 maybe just when i get bored and want some new stuff. pretty hit and miss as far as upgrade/usefulness

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
i'd use them whenever you need a quick equip upgrade. could always wait until you get to sanctuary in TVHM. no sense holding onto them whenever.

i've had a total of about 8 and used 4 maybe just when i get bored and want some new stuff. pretty hit and miss as far as upgrade/usefulness

Cool, that was my plan.

Here is my original post
Why do they use ct? I don't care where you're stationed, either use pst or est. 2 hours ahead of pst but one hour behind est? Lame...

because they are in that timezone?

As you can reasonably infer from both the fact that I did the math as well as pointed out their position, I already knew this. They are in Texas if I'm not mistaken, or Chicago one of the two.

why not use UTC? ;)

My guess is since its an American company and more Americans undoubtedly bought the game, it would be most reasonable to put it as EST, which I'm sure the euros are familiar with by now.

Of all things to complain about...

Clearly you can tell I'm so upset! It was so hard to do the calculations! It's a valid complaint, that's why they even hyperlinked a time clock to the announcement, because they know they are being daft.

Please tell me you clicked the link you are complaining about. They hyperlinked a page that AUTOMATICALLY DETECTS your freaking time zone and converts it for you. smh.

PLEASE TELL ME YOU READ MY POST PROPERLY! oh wait, you didnt. If you had a reading comprehension level above a 3rd grader, you might imagine that I don't need that service since I've done the calculations against north American time, so once again, it can be reasonably inferred that I live there and have no need for the link. To humour you, I actually went back and clicked the link, apparently it automatically detected that I live in Ottawa. Which to be fair is pretty close on a global scale to vancouver, but in reality is way off.

Check your fucking ego at the door before you try to be a big man on neogaf.com, at least the other people that quoted me were either civil or not complete jagoffs, you however, take the sperm frosted cake.

Back on topic: any commandos want to give advice about secondary tree selections? Originally I was going to suit my turrets up with rocket pods, but now I'm thinking I'm becoming a bit too reliant on turrets. I'm thinking that I might go gunpowder just so that I can shore up my combat skills. Any thoughts?

MrDaravon

Sooooo has anyone confirmed yet that if you reset challenges whether or not it resets the area-specific ones at all? You guys are killing me.

W Hudson

May have missed this at some point, but is there any link to the drop rate percentages for all of the legendary items in the game?

Also does equipping the Vault Hunter relic add to your chances of having a legendary item dropped?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The dlc and areas like osais was
Content that couldnt make it in BL1...Osais was atleast

I can agree with the "feeling" part but I did like the introduction of a new vehicle and weapon "color".

I will say this, I helped a few friends beat it last night and the ending is laughably short. On voice chat, I sort of was listening in on it and then chuckled and said, "that's it?"

Hopefully the latter 3 Season Pass DLC expansions have a better conclusion and take us to different places.

gcubed

started playing with a mechro and was using the BFF tree to start... how does this not break the game? I respec'ed out quick because it was so damn boring

started playing with a mechro and was using the BFF tree to start... how does this not break the game? I respec'ed out quick because it was so damn boring

the deathtrap box is way too good, to the point of OP, I run soldier while my cousin runs mecro and at level 43 now in true vault hunter mode, his deathtrap still tears everyone a new one without a sweat but we are not level 50 yet to see how it plays out end game.

You can even use a mecro to farm exp while idle once you get to a respawning area and have the skill to add 5 seconds on per kill.

It's fine because it's like hunter/rangers in MMO who spec into the pet oriented tree. When your pet dies you're gimped as fuck. Though getting DT to die...is an involved process...so yea OP. But don't be hatin on Gaige yo!

are the DLC packs for level 50 only? I'm on PL2 and about level 34 atm

It's for level 15 onward. It sets itself to whatever your level is when you entered the area.

Pakkidis

So I just got the game and I have a question about the guns stats. If it a gun says 50 damage and it the stat box its says +100% damage does that mean it does 100 damage or is 50 damage already including the 100% damage modifier?

So I just got the game and I have a question about the guns stats. If it a gun says 50 damage and it the stat box its says +100% damage does that mean it does 100 damage or is 50 damage already including the 100% damage modifier?

The modifier isn't included in the damage calculation. So if your gun does 50% melee damage and the gun damage is 200, a melee attack would cause 300 damage.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
On pt2 the dlc scales around your current level when you accept the quest, like the main game.
So think of end game for what you accept. If I could go back I would not have accepted any of the "message in a bottle" quest in Scarlet dlc until 50.

peull

I don't have access to my ps3 so I can't see by myself. What is the size of the dlc Captain scarlett?

Is it preloaded in a mandated patch for BL2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom