• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JebusF

Neo Member
We gave this a 9/10 too, here.

For what it's worth, it's easily my favourite game of the year so far.

Can't get enough of it. Addicted all over again, thanks Gearbox!

Oh, also +1 for revolvers with no fire rate limit. Being able to shoot as fast as you can click is awesome. I was always good at insane pistol shots with R1 on COD games and I love being able to clickity click my mouse as fast as I can. A revolver with elemental should be sick.

I got linked a revolver with no reloads and infinite ammo. I'm not sure what to think.

Razek

Banned
I found them almost useless unless you got a headshot, which I guess is the same here, but in this game they're a lot easier to handle. And they feel better to use too.

They are most certainly more forgiving this time around. The critical areas seem to be much bigger.

FStop7

Banned
How do I download the Premiere Club DLC on Steam? It shows as "not downloaded" in the DLC menu in the game. When highlighted it says "Press Enter" - when I do that it just launches the steam overlay. I must be missing something obvious.

Derrick01

Banned
Man they really did improve the gun drops. I'm only level 8 and I'm struggling with my 2 weapon slots because I have a great sniper rifle, this badass combat rifle that shoots missiles instead of bullets and a mix of pretty good shotguns, pistols and another good combat rifle.

Wallach

I found them almost useless unless you got a headshot, which I guess is the same here, but in this game they're a lot easier to handle. And they feel better to use too.

They weren't great. They were definitely not in the top tier of weapons by a long shot, no matter which spec you built towards. For the most part pistols pretty much destroyed sniper rifles in just about every category. Pistols destroyed just about everything, though.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So is no one else having co op problems? I opened every port I could and still can't join some friends games and they can't be invited either. Every time I get connection to host has failed/timeout.

How do I access the arena on console?

Man they really did improve the gun drops. I'm only level 8 and I'm struggling with my 2 weapon slots because I have a great sniper rifle, this badass combat rifle that shoots missiles instead of bullets and a mix of pretty good shotguns, pistols and another good combat rifle.

I want a freaking SMG drop....

I got linked a revolver with no reloads and infinite ammo. I'm not sure what to think.

Wait, what!? Someone god a drop with those effects and linked you the screenshot? Not sure what you mean by linked. That gun is going to be crazy fun if not a carpal tunnel enducing machine.

TheContact

I was able to play for 15 minutes this morning and got to level 4 and found a new pistol. I wish I hadn't played because now I can't stop thinking about it, and I'm stuck at work for many more hours =(

HoosTrax

I was able to play for 15 minutes this morning and got to level 4 and found a new pistol. I wish I hadn't played because now I can't stop thinking about it, and I'm stuck at work for many more hours =(
Times like this I reminisce back to being a college student and only having one class a day and having the rest of the day free.

Everyone else who's in either grade school or working and not playing hooky is in the same boat D:

Smokey

Do you really have to start at the beginning even if you save and quit? Was annoying to make decent progress in that first area, save and quit, and then upon reload have to go through the entire level again just to get back to where I was...

HoosTrax

Do you really have to start at the beginning even if you save and quit? Was annoying to make decent progress in that first area, save and quit, and then upon reload have to go through the entire level again just to get back to where I was...
This is why you push ahead to a checkpoint when you want to quit.

I only have a single GTX 480 and I've only tried PhysX on Medium, but I've never dipped below 60fps with all other settings maxed out at 1080p and the particles look incredible.

alba

Little is the new Big
Is it just me or the Catch-a-ride skins aren't working on the PC version? I unlocked like 3 of them, redeemed them in-game but they won't show up in the skin section of the vehicle selection :( Anyone experience this?

Sulik2

I played about an hour last night after it went live.

Intro was better than BL1 in every way except the song was far inferior to no rest for the wicked.

Lots of humor and those 4 armed things are a lot of fun to fight. I do wish you started with your class ability. I am trying a siren this time but a gunzerker is really tempting.

Is there a way to see your frame rate in game?

Razek

Banned

To me, it certainly seems they went the way of 'less is more'. I've found probably a quarter of the chests I would have in time played compared to BL1. I like it this way, it makes everything feel much more substantial.

They weren't great. They were definitely not in the top tier of weapons by a long shot, no matter which spec you built towards. For the most part pistols pretty much destroyed sniper rifles in just about every category. Pistols destroyed just about everything, though.

Huh? a good Oryan, Invader, and Skullmasher could easily out DPS any other weapon in the game as long as you're a good shot.

Wait, what!? Someone god a drop with those effects and linked you the screenshot? Not sure what you mean by linked. That gun is going to be crazy fun if not a carpal tunnel enducing machine.

They sent me a PM in steam with a picture of the stats and told me that it did that. In the first game there was repeater pistol that did the same, so it's not to strange that this game has something similar. I'm on my phone I'll try and find the pic of it when I get home.

Wallach

Because of the way revolvers work in this game I don't think there would be any masher style one, but I could be wrong.

What do you mean?

Huh? a good Oryan, Invader, and Skullmasher could easily out DPS any other weapon in the game as long as you're a good shot.

No they weren't. Both Gunslinger or Gunfighter mod Mordecai builds with mashers and revolvers had higher DPS and required far less aim, not to mention were way better and handling large groups.

They sent me a PM in steam with a picture of the stats and told me that it did that. In the first game there was repeater pistol that did the same, so it's not to strange that this game has something similar.

Totally missed that item in the first game. Was there semi auto pistols with no fire rate in BL1? I feel like the first revolver I picked up I could shoot faster than most other guns in BL1. Maybe the hammer slapping action just makes it feel cooler/faster.

Orayn

Totally missed that item in the first game. Was there semi auto pistols with no fire rate in BL1? I feel like the first revolver I picked up I could shoot faster than most other guns in BL1. Maybe the hammer slapping action just makes it feel cooler/faster.

That's the signature mechanic of Jakobs guns, actually. They're all semi-auto and have no limits on fire rate. (Makes me want to bind my mouse wheel to fire like in Counter-Strike!)

What do you mean?

They aren't limited by any kind of rate of fire. If you could click or press the button 100 times in 1 second and the revolver had a big enough clip it would fire all those rounds. The trade off is that for each round fired the gun becomes less accurate up to a point. Adding a shot gun style behavior to would make the revolver wildly inaccurate.

I love reading all of the awesome impression in here! I am going to pick up my Ultimate Loot Chest in about an hour during my lunch break and I can't wait. It's going to be a rough afternoon at work!

HoosTrax

Man I can't explain how much I hate rakks.
Borderlandsian Cliff Racers.

indexrd.jpg

That's the signature mechanic of Jakobs guns, actually. They're all semi-auto and have no limits on fire rate. (Makes me want to bind my mouse wheel to fire like in Counter-Strike!)

I have played BL1 to completion twice and all the DLC and I never really noticed the no fire rate limit aspect of Jackobs. But I guess that was a problem with BL1, not enough distinction between guns. Well, either way, cool stuff. All the guns look and feel so much better, can't be said enough. And that is coming from BL1 which had pretty great guns.

If I remember right the repeater I'm talking about was called the Dove and had 3-shot burst fixed rate of fire. I don't think there were any guns in BL1 that behave like the revolvers in this do.

Ultimadrago

Man I can't explain how much I hate rakks.

They're so satisfying to kill though.

That "plop" once they fall dead to the ground is great.

So what's everybody feeling like they are going to run as their primary weapon type?

Shotgun most definitely...once Lady Luck decides to give me a decent one.
My chance with drops has not been so hot thus far.
A great one shouldn't be too far off hopefully...

I think I have two so far:

1 from the pre-order Premier Club bonus
1 from signing up for Gearbox's Shift website

Has anyone on Steam gotten the one from signing up for gearbox's shift website? I got the premier club one but even though I'm signed into Shift, I have not gotten a second after signing up.

EDIT: Got it to work. Do not link your steam account on the website first. Have to link it ingame. Weird oversight.

HoosTrax

That makes no sense. When I click 'Save and Quit' there is no mention of 'hey we're going to make you replay through the ENTIRE level just to get back to where you were'.
What? It works the exact same way it did in the first game. That makes perfect sense. It would make no sense if they randomly decided to change the save mechanic.

JChalmers

Neo Member
Apparently to get Premier Club DLC working now you have to Restart Steam and verify game cache. Items should show up in-game now as well as showing as installed and downloaded in the DLC tab of the game...

Anyone confirm this fixes it.

1 hour till I can play it :D

So since I have to wait a few more hours for my Amazon order to show up, I go to like 4 different Redbox locations that say that they have Borderlands 2 on the website, but when I went to each of them, they were all sold out. :(

I'm really tempted to pick it up from Walmart or something and then just return my Amazon copy or something :lol

TheContact

That makes no sense. When I click 'Save and Quit' there is no mention of 'hey we're going to make you replay through the ENTIRE level just to get back to where you were'.

Most dungeon crawler type games are like this. Diablo etc...
It's not so much about plowing through content as it is grinding and leveling up

S1kkZ

any impressions from console players? the giantbomb review mentioned pretty big framerate issues, as soon as there is some action going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom