• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That's exactly it. The Greens just aren't angry enough. I like Caroline Lucas , but she still has the air of a Westminster Volvo about her. All the original left figures are fading away - Tony Benn is gone, Dennis Skinner is kept as a memento...there is no Labour Party anymore.

I've met MPs in real life as part of what I used to do. The ones I met were the kind of people who wear a suit to a social gathering and really do speak in mild soundbites.

8bit

Knows the Score
The thing with Farage, though, is that he's quite good at showing mainstream politicians up as being professional automatons. I saw him on QT last week and he came off far better than the obnoxious Tory.

I don't agree with UKIPs policies (policy?!) but I completely understand why you'd give them a protest vote.

If you must use your vote to protest please consider giving it to the greens.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/12/police-ask-blogger-remove-legitimate-tweet-ukip

Bm34HPPCcAE3LLX.jpg

BncGIoICIAULggR.jpg:large

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's exactly it. The Greens just aren't angry enough. I like Caroline Lucas , but she still has the air of a Westminster Volvo about her. All the original left figures are fading away - Tony Benn is gone, Dennis Skinner is kept as a memento...there is no Labour Party anymore.

I've met MPs in real life as part of what I used to do. The ones I met were the kind of people who wear a suit to a social gathering and really do speak in mild soundbites.

And of course the media will see to it that anyone with an interesting past will be hoisted out quick sharp, got to keep that political class grey and bland otherwise anarchy will ensue.

I dunno, I go through this every few years - feel I should be more politically engaged so I poke my head up to see what's going on and then come away feeling utterly disgusted and angry with it all. It doesn't feel like there's a single figure in politics I connect with or represents my views in any meaningful way. Politics is pitched at old people and idiots, I'll leave them to it I guess.

Actually, in my 'insane people and conspiracies' research I came across an interesting tidbit about the Bilderburg group. Publically stated, their aim is pretty much that idealogy and politics should be divorced and that government should merely have an administrative function - ideology should be left to the people to broadly decide the trust of the country not politicians. NWO or no, I quite agree with that. It's just men and women who look like men in suits, who cares?

If you're worried about UKIP's popularity you can blame the media.

Repeated attempts to smear and discredit them have only led to a lot of accumulated air time. The BBC has been criticized for this...you spend enough time actively slagging something off you make it mainstream and that's exactly how UKIP have become part of the establishment.

Also Jed can you please stop rocking the boat, I just got splashed.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If you're worried about UKIP's popularity you can blame the media.

Repeated attempts to smear and discredit them have only led to a lot of accumulated air time. The BBC has been criticized for this...you spend enough time actively slagging something off you make it mainstream and that's exactly how UKIP have become part of the establishment.

Also Jed can you please stop rocking the boat, I just got splashed.

Darn tootin. All it does is give contrarian quasi-racists a figure to say "finally, someone is saying what we're ALL thinking". Unsurprisingly in my area UKIP seem to be doing quite well since we've had an influx of Nepalese immigration this past few years (which UKIP can do fuck all about mind). So many cunts getting their knickers in a twist about it. Taking our jorbs indeed.

Enough boat rocking for today probably, I've gone and got myself all of a lather in my lefty rage.

NinjaBoiX

The thing with Farage, though, is that he's quite good at showing mainstream politicians up as being professional automatons. I saw him on QT last week and he came off far better than the obnoxious Tory.
Isn't this mainly because of his "unique" views though? He is a bit of a character I guess, but if he was a member of the big three I bet he'd disappear into the crowd as much as everyone else.
I dunno, I go through this every few years - feel I should be more politically engaged so I poke my head up to see what's going on and then come away feeling utterly disgusted and angry with it all. It doesn't feel like there's a single figure in politics I connect with or represents my views in any meaningful way. Politics is pitched at old people and idiots, I'll leave them to it I guess.
This is basically my stance, cannae be boshed. And I realise that's a terrible attitude that simply perpetuates the issues but hey-ho.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some sand I need to bury my head in.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't ever actually voted. Basically, the Big Three are all much of a muchness to me. Over the years, Labour have moved more to the centre, as have the Tories. A few errant policies aside, they've become this homogenous mass where the only choice for the voter seems to be what colour tie you want your local representative to wear.

I think I will vote this time to do my bit and stop the friendly face of racism from getting in. From the UKIP policies I've read about (barring the few common sense ones), they seem to be about everything I'm opposed to.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
MNKjgfY.png

Be a non-millionaire and vote UKIP, brehs.

Also laffo @ the idea that the Beeb heaps negative coverage on UKIP. They do the opposite and give them a largely unchallenged platform all the bloody time. It's like when some new policy/proposal/issue in general is talked about and the person they get on to discuss it with always seems to be from the Taxpayer's Alliance. Then the presenter sits there and nods along going "hmm" whilst they spout their bullshit.

But that's what you get when you substitute journalism with stenography, as the BBC is increasingly wont to do.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And of course the media will see to it that anyone with an interesting past will be hoisted out quick sharp, got to keep that political class grey and bland otherwise anarchy will ensue.

Actually, in my 'insane people and conspiracies' research I came across an interesting tidbit about the Bilderburg group. Publically stated, their aim is pretty much that idealogy and politics should be divorced and that government should merely have an administrative function - ideology should be left to the people to broadly decide the trust of the country not politicians. NWO or no, I quite agree with that. It's just men and women who look like men in suits, who cares?

but then by ignoring things and not engaging, how can you ever expect it to change?

Son Of D

Going to keep this short. First, I'd like to apologise for just leaving without any form of warning or anything. In hindsight I should have said something but nothing I can do about that now.

Second, can someone sum up the past 2 weeks for me? I haven't been keeping on top of any sort of news to be honest.

Finally, to get back into the Whatsapp group I just need to message Jordan right? Is he still active here? I don't have his number you see.

NinjaBoiX

First day with the new phone, impressed so I am. I've hammered it today, more so than usual, and there is still 40% on the battery. The signal didn't drop out once either, used to happen a few times a day.

Also, full fat YouTube seems to work properly on Android now, yay!

I love my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact™, it's better not bigger.
I haven't ever actually voted. Basically, the Big Three are all much of a muchness to me.
The White Stripes - The Big Three Killed My Baby

Their ideas made me want to spit,
A hundred dollars goes down the pit,
30,000 wheels are rollin',
My stick shift hands are swollen,
Everything involved is shady,
The big three killed my baby,"

Going to keep this short. First, I'd like to apologise for just leaving without any form of warning or anything. In hindsight I should have said something but nothing I can do about that now.

Second, can someone sum up the past 2 weeks for me? I haven't been keeping on top of any sort of news to be honest.

Finally, to get back into the Whatsapp group I just need to message Jordan right? Is he still active here? I don't have his number you see.

Good to see you back! Hope you've got sorted whatever needed sorting :)

You've not missed much, there's been some playlist thing going on, I got a new job, and I'm planning a meet for end of June in London, that's all you really need to know.

Yeah just ping Jordan a pm, I think he still lurks.

jimbor

Banned
If you don't vote, you are part of the problem so good to see you voting this time.

Jed, if you want angry tory bashing, the nhp party do that all day, every day on twitter.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”

― Plato

"You want to know about voting. I'm here to tell you about voting. Imagine you're locked in a huge underground night-club filled with sinners, whores, freaks and unnameable things that rape pitbulls for fun. And you ain't allowed out until you all vote on what you're going to do tonight. You like to put your feet up and watch 'Republican Party Reservation.' They like to have sex with normal people using knives, guns, and brand new sexual organs you did not even know existed. So you vote for television, and everyone else, as far as your eye can see, votes to fuck you with switchblades. That's voting. You're welcome."

- Spider Jerusalem

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm probably going to vote Labour. But I don't really want to.

Also, can I just ramble on v briefly about Olli Olli? It's so bloody addictive.

Welcome back? Why apologise? You've done nothing wrong, D.

You've not missed much, there's been some playlist thing going on, I got a new job, and I'm planning a meet for end of June in London, that's all you really need to know.

How did it go today?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
but then by ignoring things and not engaging, how can you ever expect it to change?

But that's the crucial empty statement isn't it? How do I engage meaningfully? Like, seriously? In my ward for the local elections my choices are literally UKIP, Tory or labour. It's a very safe Tory area, and so the only way to fight UKIP is to vote Tory and I don't want to do that. Same on a national picture, conservative have +50% votes than any other party in my seat, and the MP has been unchallenged since the early 80s.

Against this picture, how should I act? Literally any vote I make will not count. Now what?

Also add to this list that the advertising and campaigning is so weak that I have next to no idea what these people stand for other than some very generic and uninspiring leaflets I got last week. No web presence, no ability to argue with them before I decide.

So tell me, what does it mean to be engaged past perusing the options and deciding none of them apply to me? How do I make a change? Seriously, the only thing I can think if is a party that stands in nihilistic opposition to the mainstream, it feels as if extremism is the only thing that could push politics in a new direction.

If you don't vote, you are part of the problem so good to see you voting this time.

Jed, if you want angry tory bashing, the nhp party do that all day, every day on twitter.

I know you're fucking with me, but that's an empty stance and you know it. Being +1 on a tally that needs a few thousand more to make a difference is meaningless.

“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”

― Plato

I don't think Cameron or even Farrage is interesting enough to be evil.

I just want some boring people in suits to make sure the country doesn't stop.

jimbor

Banned
But that's the crucial empty statement isn't it? How do I engage meaningfully? Like, seriously? In my ward for the local elections my choices are literally UKIP, Tory or labour. It's a very safe Tory area, and so the only way to fight UKIP is to vote Tory and I don't want to do that. Same on a national picture, conservative have +50% votes than any other party in my seat, and the MP has been unchallenged since the early 80s.

Against this picture, how should I act? Literally any vote I make will not count. Now what?

Also add to this list that the advertising and campaigning is so weak that I have next to no idea what these people stand for other than some very generic and uninspiring leaflets I got last week. No web presence, no ability to argue with them before I decide.

So tell me, what does it mean to be engaged past perusing the options and deciding none of them apply to me? How do I make a change? Seriously, the only thing I can think if is a party that stands in nihilistic opposition to the mainstream, it feels as if extremism is the only thing that could push politics in a new direction.

I know you're fucking with me, but that's an empty stance and you know it. Being +1 on a tally that needs a few thousand more to make a difference is meaningless.

I don't think Cameron or even Farrage is interesting enough to be evil.

I just want some boring people in suits to make sure the country doesn't stop.

Campaign for PR, will help your problem with voting. Make sure you vote in the euro elections.

Son Of D

Thanks. Everything is all sorted out now and I'm feeling better.

I might be up London at the end of June actually. Depending on the dates the meet is planned I could be able to come along.

Just saw that I was added back to the group :p. I'll keep that in mind for the future though.

Welcome back? Why apologise? You've done nothing wrong, D.
I know, just felt that I should have said something before leaving for a bit.

How did it go today?

Oh I've not handed my notice in yet, waiting for my contract to arrive first. I have till Friday to do it

CHEEZMO™;111634150 said:
Interview tomorrah

G'luck

Thanks. Everything is all sorted out now and I'm feeling better.

I might be up London at the end of June actually. Depending on the dates the meet is planned I could be able to come along.

Just saw that I was added back to the group :p. I'll keep that in mind for the future though.

I know, just felt that I should have said something before leaving for a bit.

Good good :)

It's looking like being Saturday 28th, hope to see you there buddy. I'll be putting up a thread soon.

NinjaBoiX

Max Payne 3 is pretty hard like Coldman, and there are some really prescriptive sections that are a bit finicky.

Great game though, as long as you can deal with the OTT post processing effects on the unskippable cut scenes.

Reknoc

Max Payne 3 is pretty hard like Coldman, and there are some really prescriptive sections that are a bit finicky.

Great game though, as long as you can deal with the OTT post processing effects on the unskippable cut scenes.

pretty much, though the cutscene consistency is some metal gear level shit

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
CHEEZMO™;111653044 said:
I'm not middle class enough for lunch to be a verb

By the way, is that a no then?

And Acrid, youre not showing up in my Hearthstone Stone Hearth Stone list of Health Stoning Hearth Stone Stoners.

I see. I find a lot of third-person shooters have needlessly frustrating segments. Uncharted 3 was terrible for this.

Reknoc

I see. I find a lot of third-person shooters have needlessly frustrating segments. Uncharted 3 was terrible for this.

yes, yes it was. and that is why i rank Uncharted 3 so low down. I did eventually complete it (fairly recently as well) and I learned to enjoy it a little more, but in the end it's still my least favorite uncharted.

As an actual third person *shooter* max Payne 3 is best in class along with stuff like vanquish. A lot of others feel like whack a mole games with a story taped on. I've never found combat in uncharted fun but I guess the shooting isn't the main attraction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom