• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Here are the questions I mentioned from my earlier post. I want to see what a potential audience is interested in (I'm asking these questions to a lot of people). Posting them here in case someone missed my earlier post.

1. What is your favourite music video and why?
2. What kind of music videos do you prefer (ones that tell stories, live performances, band/artist doing silly things etc.)?
3. How do you feel when a music video pauses the song during the video (for example, a story based one pauses the song to possibly detail something that just happened)?
4. Do you think that the video content should be based around the song or the song based around the video (for example I have an idea for a video, but I have no idea what song to choose so I listen to some songs to find one that will fit with the idea)?

1. Very tricky given that I don't really watch em no more. I always loved the Gondry videos from the early 2000s though.
2. I like a good arty video that tries to interpret the song, or if it's performance then at least trying to do something a bit 'other' with the presentation.
3. yeah it can be cool depending on the context. I'd say be clever and be quick about it.
4. if you have a strong idea then go for it, I find that music will fit with mostly anything and just massage the context. SOmetimes can be a bit lame if you go too literal anyway

theaface

Honestly, first week or two is building up your callouses on the fingers and being able to get your fingers in position. Started around mid-late Nov, I started doing decent around end of December. Now got quote a few songs around the 60-82% mark, doing much better but there is such a difference in those last 10-20 percentages. As difficulty wise the game tries to keep chords until last, so learning the chords and switching between them in an instant is going to take me years I think. You will see results soon, amazing game. Also you need to pick the right songs, some are a looot easier than others. I have been playing Paint it Black since the begging and poured hours and hours into it but can't break 50% whereas I get a new song and break that first time of trying.

Nirvana and Radiohead seem to be quite good to start with in terms of learning a recognisable riff, speed of the song and lower difficulty.

Thanks for the pointers. I could only imagine a small practice today because of the tenderness in my fingers, so you're absolutely right about building up resistance. I happen to love Heart Shaped Box and Paranoid Android, so I'd be very happy if those were some of the early tracks I end up being capable in.

Just settling down to watch 'You're Next'. Expectations are tempered, but I'd love to see a good horror film - feels like forever since there was anything truly special.

NinjaBoiX

2. What kind of music videos do you prefer (ones that tell stories, live performances, band/artist doing silly things etc.)?
3. How do you feel when a music video pauses the song during the video (for example, a story based one pauses the song to possibly detail something that just happened)?
4. Do you think that the video content should be based around the song or the song based around the video (for example I have an idea for a video, but I have no idea what song to choose so I listen to some songs to find one that will fit with the idea)?
1. Too many if I really thought about it. But I always like a video with an interesting concept, these few spring to mind:

Beastie Boys - Sabotage
(It's an awesome parody of 70/80's cop show intros.)

Red Fang - Wires
(The video chronicles how the band chose to spend the budget for the video.)

The Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar
(Each aspect of the song is represented by a specific part of the scenery. It's really clever.)

2. Concept videos are cool, but a plain old good live performance is always a winner too.

3. It usually irritates me when the music drops out for the sake of the visuals.

4. The video should compliment the song not the other way around.

Marc

Yeah, welcome back daps.

Yeah, she's totally hot.

EeIGOky.jpg

Hnnggg.

She did this really good gag about Ken Livingstone signing off his tweets with a "K". It's kind of hard to convey through text, it was all in the delivery. But yeah, she's great.

Mmmmm.... hawt!

Yeah, she plays this dumb foreigner role in the quiz circuit and she is so cutesy they never realise when she has just cut open their innards for the audience to laugh at. Very quick.

Is it-- is it immoral to sleep with a woman with learning difficulties? This is a question which Arrested Development first presented to me and, lo and behold, it presents itself again.

Edit: I saw Katherine Ryan before she was famous. Is she famous? Anyway, I saw her a while ago. A mere arm's reach away from me.

Depends how you define it, when you think about it they could be just 20 IQ points from a 'normal' person. Yet you would think nothing of a much smarter person sleeping with someone dumber, all relative I guess. Not something I would want to wade in on though, rather let others work that out. :D

I feel the same about Steve Hughes, saw him on a pub boat by embankment before anyone.

A bit famous now I think -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlMqaAI_ebA

Bill Hicks is GOAT though.

Here are the questions I mentioned from my earlier post. I want to see what a potential audience is interested in (I'm asking these questions to a lot of people). Posting them here in case someone missed my earlier post.

1. Hmm Freak on a Leash, Just, Sabotage... my favourite is Smack My Bitch up though... what a tweiist!
2. Stories or comedy usually.
3. Mostly hate it, if you can't tell the story to fit the music then you are doing it wrong.
4. Should relate to the songs "message" to the degree the song is espousing it. Some songs don't really have a message, just a free for all.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

1) I'd say Just by Radiohead. I like that it centres around a mystery and has little to do with the actual song. There's one for Something About Ghosts by Matt Eliott that is just plain weird but it really works.

EDIT: Jed reminded me: Gondry's videos for Bjork and Massive Attack are amazing. Chris Cunningham's stuff for Aphex Twin are always exceptional too. Both have unique visual styles that capture the essence of their songs without being enslaved by them.

2) I like a live performance if the band is worth watching (i.e. At The Drive In). Equally, I like a story when it has nothing to do with the song and isn't obvious. I also like them when they're abstract, too (Autechre do some amazing visuals). Silly videos get on my tits... the one exception being Beastie Boys videos; they always seem to work really well.

3) I'm okay with it.

4) Neither. I don't like it when videos are literal representations of the song. Never thought they ever needed to be.

Blink Me

Ok guys, if anyone knows anyone selling tickets to see Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake and Zebrahead at O2 Shepherds Bush Empire on Saturday 15th February please let me know.

It's sold out, and I refuse to pay double face value just to go.

Edit: s'ok, got tickets now

Awesome you finally decided to go. Can't wait till I go see them.

8bit

Knows the Score

1. Here a few non obvious videos that I admire.

Flowered Up - Weekender is probably my favourite. It resonates with a specific time, place and feeling that only existed for a short while : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbfUw9F7A8M

That said, Chase & Status - Blind Faith does a good job of capturing it though : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYpDJw7fThU

Moby - Bodyrock : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPP9UQpSCb0

Autechre : Gantz Graf : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNzxsOB2Q3g

Daft Punk - Da Funk : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmi60Bd4jSs

The Pharcyde - Drop : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3qMdkucM0

2. I dunno.

3. I'm OK with that, as long as it's done well.

4. No, the content shouldn't dictate the direction.

Mikeside

Long weekend, only just checked the thread but wow...

Jimbor... You'll be missed in here dude. Anyone reckon there's chance of an appeal?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Johnny Cash - Hurt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

I've never seen a music video this powerful. It's somebody's end-of-life on screen. I've seen plenty of music videos that push for some kind of wider meaning or to make some kind of statement. I don't think any of them say anything profound or original. This works because it's absolutely honest and (just like Johnny Cash's music) realises that you can say something incredibly powerful and profound without any fuss, just by being honest and direct.

None, really. They're all commercials, aren't they? I'd rather close my eyes and make my own images.

If I had to say one, I think I prefer silly things. Live performances are so often really badly edited and over-the-top and ones that tell stories are often just dumb. The song should tell its own story. I don't need actors to make the meaning explicit when the lyrics already are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbgKEjNBHqM

I think Nirvana knew this!

I despise this. I don't need to see musicians play-acting. The only thing worse is product placement.

I don't know, but if you choose one you have to commit to it. If it's based around the song, give me the song pure and simple - let it speak to me. If it's going to be based around the video, then you need to really embrace it as 4 minutes of art. Don't tell me what I already know, don't act out the meaning of the song - make it oblique, make it interesting. Do something with it!

A quote from the show, Don't Look Down:

"The challene is to know that hanging from a bar 10 feet above the ground is exactly the same effort as hanging from it 100 metres off the ground. The only difference is in your head." - James Kingston

That is almost inspirational.

Welp, that was the end of House of Cards then huh? Seems like it was a 14 episode series and they only showed 13 episodes. Kind of unconclusive.

Still, nigh-on 13 hours of Kevin Spacey being Slimey Kevin Spacey is one of those things where it's such an obviously simple scheme that it works very well.

Roll on Feb 14th for Season 2.

Bugger. It's Monday again isn't it?

NinjaBoiX

Text msg on my work phone last week:

"Please attend face mask training at Wellmere depot Monday between 8am-10am. Must be clean shaven."

Bastards, I haven't been clean shaven in months, but fair enough, if I must. And two hours to learn how to put on a face mask? Oh well, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

So I, cancelled any work I had booked for this morning, begrudgingly shaved last night, got up shit hot early (for a freezing Monday) and got to the depot for 8am.

Training Cancelled.

FML

My face is cold.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So as with every weekday I was awoken by the sounds of Radio 6, however on this occasion I was certain the chant coming from the song they were playing was banana banana. I was like bananas eh I must listen more carefully. That's when I realised it was actually wawala. what kind of word is wawala? So I turn my head to read the info tickwr only to find the words they were meant to be saying was Wild Wild Life. Jesus on a pogo stick! That is terrible diction. The band Talking Heads ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Good morning monday crew! Had a pretty good weekend, movies, too much big brother and fun times with the lady followed by commencing work on 2014's batch of songs with the band. Got three songs already in various stages of completion sounding pretty ace. Not even released the last record yet and I'm thinking about the next...!

Life is gud. Hope yr lifes is also gud

theaface

Fatboy Slim - Weapon of Choice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDIYvFmgW8

It's Christopher Walken... dancing! In essence, it's just a perfect blend of humour and fun, you-can-try-this-at-home dancing. Apart from the flying part.

Honourable mentions for the following, which I think are all pretty self explanatory in why they're great videos:

Blur - Good Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRrJugyk1Yw

Radiohead - Street Spirit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTB-iiecqk

Korn - Freak on a Leash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGrNDV2mKc

Seeing a band play doesn't do much for me. I like videos that do something totally inventive and unique with the music, as above. 'Ya Mama' by Fatboy Slim is another great example of this.

Generally irritating. It's rare that it's well-executed, and it normally makes for an annoying repeat viewing experience.

Well typically the music does come first, so I guess the former most of the time. The latter would tend to apply to things like soundtracks (movies, games, TV) I suppose?

afoni

Banned
My Dad left a list of addresses for his EBay stuff on the side so I've been Google mapping them all. One person lived in the middle of nowhere in Wales. I wonder what he does for fun.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I was entertaining guests last night.

This is probably the hardest question. There are just so many good videos. Foo Fighters always do good videos, I guess Everlong is probably up there, because it's a really clever and funny video. Bjork also, would go with All is Full of Love, this just looks beautiful. This is probably more personal to me but Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife because they all look great and I like the way they switch between they're metal alter egos and their normal selves, and a few people have already mentioned it but Korn - Freak on a Leash because God Damn it's awesome.

But the videos that really drew me in when I was younger and would endlessly flick through all the music channels were basically anything by Tool. I could not switch away from a Tool video ever. They looked stunning, really beautiful animation that complimented the musical style so well. A few examples

Stinkfist

Sober

AEnima

I like both. I think it depends a lot on the artist and the song.

Live performances can be boring if a band/artist is just stood there singing. A good example of a performance done well is Papa Roach - Between Angels and Insects, the camera shots are really interesting. A lot of bands are now combining both, Fall Out Boy I think are really good at this, and are a great high energy band to watch.

I don't mind this if it's done well, it has a pupose to the video and is executed at a point in the song which allows for it. Alive by P.O.D. did this well.

If you're a band making a music video then the video should be made to fit around your song. However if you are a director/film maker and you are making a specific video for example a skate video or something then you will be fitting music to the video instead, so it depends on who you are and what you are trying to achieve.

SKINNER!

Banned

Tough to choose just one so here's a few in no particular order:-

Aeroplane - Red Hot Chili Peppers: Always had a soft spot for the video in how OTT it was trying to pull of a sync swimming/burlesque mix. Screams the 90s to me.

Turn the Page - Metallica (NSFW) - One of the few videos where I liked how they twisted/altered the perception of the song to fit into a story. Bob Seger's Turn the Page was merely about a musician struggling to get through life and just trying to make ends meet. Metallica's covers the song and uses the video to show the same sturggle but from a stripper's perspective.

Sabotage - Beastie Boys: Another OTT video. I tend to like videos that don't take itself too seriously

She's Got Issues - The Offspring: An example of how a video can mirror/relate to the lyrics of the song. Plus, I kinda like that Ramones-esque animation that's going on in the video.

Fell in Love with a Girl - White Stripes: Dat Gondry magic coupled with lego...Far more enjoyable than the Seven Nation Army video anyway.

They Don't Care About Us - Michael Jackson: Always thought the juxtoposition of having a rich man performing in the colourful slums of Brazil being surrounded by the locals was intriguing (and a little daring) and while it is an angry song the video itself feels casual and far less preachy than other socially conscience MJ tracks. Still unsure if he paid off the gangs in that area to shoot the video.

Fine Again - Seether: Openly honest video that I - again - believe compliments the song well.

Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve: So damn simple yet powerful at the same time.

Definitely ones that tells a story or is artistically based on the lyrics and/or theme, mood of the song but I'm ok with live performances if it's done in a unique way. Don't mind silly things again if it compliments the mood of the song. Feel that music videos that just consist of concert/gig montage footage are just the easy/lazy way of making a music video. Or worse, concert footage with studio audio dubbed over instead of the actual live performance...pretty weak in my opinion. If a band has no desire to make a music video then at least have the actual live performance just have the studio version play over a static pic of the album art

I'm ok with it if the pause was needed to highlight a significant point in the music video's storyline but if it was frequently happening then I'd be quite put off by it. I know some music videos try to be mini-movies but I always think the music in music videos should come first you know? Example: felt the video to Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around...Comes Around" was kinda spoiled because the video's storyline always took centre stage instead of the music.

A song based around a video is a soundtrack isn't it? Kinda like how Hans Zimmer would watch Gladiator and then come up with music that fits the scenes. I personally think a music video should highlight and back up the song; not the other way round.

Mikeside

So how was everyone's weekend?

I ended up picking Kev up from a date at 3am on Sunday morning, introduced Z to Musha, my grandparents (omg) and my old friend Sarah. Throw in a cheeky Nando's, a few drinks at World's End, a lovely curry & a Sunday night filled with It's Always Sunny and I had a pretty awesome weekend.

I finally broke my glasses beyond repair, though. One of the arms went missing somewhere in my room. Which is tiny. I don't understand it at all. Had a lot of fun breaking them, but now I have to get an eye test and a new pair of glasses PRONTO.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I ended up picking Kev up from a date at 3am on Sunday morning, introduced Z to Musha, my grandparents (omg) and my old friend Sarah. Throw in a cheeky Nando's, a few drinks at World's End, a lovely curry & a Sunday night filled with It's Always Sunny and I had a pretty awesome weekend.

I finally broke my glasses beyond repair, though. One of the arms went missing somewhere in my room. Which is tiny. I don't understand it at all. Had a lot of fun breaking them, but now I have to get an eye test and a new pair of glasses PRONTO.

what you need is two monacles, attached by string to your person. That would be fucking awesome.

So how is Z enjoying the tour around Mikeside's life lately? Meeting your gramps yo, that's serious business! Are you going to swap soon and go do the whole family thing up her way?

Mikeside

what you need is two monacles, attached by string to your person. That would be fucking awesome.

So how is Z enjoying the tour around Mikeside's life lately? Meeting your gramps yo, that's serious business! Are you going to swap soon and go do the whole family thing up her way?

I think she's been enjoying meeting everyone - she's a very social person & she just gets on fantastically with people. I'm really psyched that I keep getting messages from everyone saying how happy they are that she's so awesome (I've had some pretty shit girlfriends in the past and my friends never liked them) & hearing how much she loves them is pretty excellent too.

Meeting the gramps was pretty funny - my nan is very, um, nosey? She likes to be involved and to know what's going on with me, so I got some major brownie points for taking Z over early. As soon as we left she called my mum to gush about the new lady, so that's pretty great too. I don't think Z was too freaked out about meeting them either, which I though she would be.

Her mum and maybe dad are coming down to London next weekend, so I'm going to meet them then. I don't get to meet many of her friends for a while, as they're all over the place, but there are vague plans for a weekend in Edinburgh later this year, so I guess it's on the cards. I've already got mad brownie points and have been called a 'keeper' by the closest ones on Facebook from where she posted the picture of the flowers and chip spice (it's a Hull thing, she's obsessed) that I gave her on Friday.

Schrödinger's cat;97784168 said:
Drinks. Burger. Sleep. Bagels. Gaming. Spaghetti. Elysium. Sleep. Fried breakfast. Gaming. House of Cards. Gaming. Hair cut. Shower. Sleep.

7/10

I'm loving the chronological list here - It's like you've taken me on a journey.
9.5/10

8bit

Knows the Score

Get a new pair of glasses and then get a couple of cheap pairs from Zenni for emergencies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think she's been enjoying meeting everyone - she's a very social person & she just gets on fantastically with people. I'm really psyched that I keep getting messages from everyone saying how happy they are that she's so awesome (I've had some pretty shit girlfriends in the past and my friends never liked them) & hearing how much she loves them is pretty excellent too.

Meeting the gramps was pretty funny - my nan is very, um, nosey? She likes to be involved and to know what's going on with me, so I got some major brownie points for taking Z over early. As soon as we left she called my mum to gush about the new lady, so that's pretty great too. I don't think Z was too freaked out about meeting them either, which I though she would be.

Her mum and maybe dad are coming down to London next weekend, so I'm going to meet them then. I don't get to meet many of her friends for a while, as they're all over the place, but there are vague plans for a weekend in Edinburgh later this year, so I guess it's on the cards. I've already got mad brownie points and have been called a 'keeper' by the closest ones on Facebook from where she posted the picture of the flowers and chip spice (it's a Hull thing, she's obsessed).

lol yeah I saw that on facebook, it was very sweet. It must be funny for you guys inside this weird goldfish bowl of a new relationship while all your mates are looking in, tapping the glass :p

also, you went Nandos and not wagas?? letting the side down man.

Mikeside

Get a new pair of glasses and then get a couple of cheap pairs from Zenni for emergencies.

This is the plan, I think. New glasses and some emergency ones for backup is the only thing that makes sense.

lol yeah I saw that on facebook, it was very sweet. It must be funny for you guys inside this weird goldfish bowl of a new relationship while all your mates are looking in, tapping the glass :p

also, you went Nandos and not wagas?? letting the side down man.

Nandos because it was where we met Sarah. I'm saving Wagas for a one-on-one. And possibly a day where we can go to the zoo so she gets the official BritGAF Dating Experience.

Now that you mention it, it IS rather weird starting a relationship under the eyes of Facebook, GAF, etc etc. Everyone has something to say about it, wants to meet up and assess it themselves or just put their 2 cents in. I'm obviously not one to keep things private or quiet anyway, so it's expected due to me constantly talking about it and posting about it, but the weird bit is how OK, even happy, with that she is.

I had a few concerns about how much I'm putting into it already, we've only actually known each other for about 6 weeks, but our very own Musha told me exactly what I wanted & needed to hear - fuck the concerns, dive in when it feels right.

Mikeside

I never understood why going to the zoo was part of the official BritGAF Dating Experience.

Because as much as bitches love Wagamamas, bitches also love looking at monkeys, giraffes and shit.

"So cute", they'll say.

Then they'll see two rhinos fucking and they'll think 'bro, I'm pretty jealous of those rhinos right about now. Maybe later I'll fuck this guy who took me to the zoo'

...actually I don't know, I just always thought it would be a cool date.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Because as much as bitches love Wagamamas, bitches also love looking at monkeys, giraffes and shit.

"So cute", they'll say.

Then they'll see two rhinos fucking and they'll think 'bro, I'm pretty jealous of those rhinos right about now. Maybe later I'll fuck this guy who took me to the zoo'

That is EXACTLY right. Even with the rhinos. Especially rhinos. Those horns. It's like symbolic.

theaface

Nandos because it was where we met Sarah. I'm saving Wagas for a one-on-one. And possibly a day where we can go to the zoo so she gets the official BritGAF Dating Experience.

Now that you mention it, it IS rather weird starting a relationship under the eyes of Facebook, GAF, etc etc. Everyone has something to say about it, wants to meet up and assess it themselves or just put their 2 cents in. I'm obviously not one to keep things private or quiet anyway, so it's expected due to me constantly talking about it and posting about it, but the weird bit is how OK, even happy, with that she is.

The thread may have died a premature and undignified death, but I can't recommend alphabet dating enough. It really forces you to think outside the box for unusual things to do and keeps things interesting. Can be done for many pennies, or on no budget at all.

Do it. Add much happiness and many brownie points.

Mikeside

That is EXACTLY right. Even with the rhinos. Especially rhinos. Those horns. It's like symbolic.

I fucking knew it.

The thread may have died a premature and undignified death, but I can't recommend alphabet dating enough. It really forces you to think outside the box for unusual things to do and keeps things interesting. Can be done for many pennies, or on no budget at all.

Do it. Add much happiness and many brownie points.

That's a cool idea...hmm. I'm going to suggest this tomorrow.
Nice one, aface!

SKINNER!

Banned

"So cute", they'll say.

Because bitches love zoos. Duh.

Perhaps I need to re-adjust my idea of a zoo. Caged animals looking all depressed while throwin' poop at each other didn't seem like a good date idea for me.

You've probably already seen this before, but it makes me happy:

Rage Against The Machine

It's better than the original, IMO.

HpvWY.gif

Mikeside

Perhaps I need to re-adjust my idea of a zoo. Caged animals looking all depressed while throwin' poop at each other didn't seem like a good date idea for me.

HpvWY.gif

To be fair, I'm actually thinking of taking her to a safari park instead. Totally agree with you on zoos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom