• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just making sure you knew I wasn't annoyed over something silly. I worry quite a lot what people think about my reactions to things like this. You probably know me well enough by now, though.

Speaking of which, kind of, when do you wanna do a proper Camden guitar and tattoos night? I'm thinking it'll have to be after you get back from holiday, but I'd be up for a big ole night of it pretty soon.

Mike, you should know me well enough by now to know that I don't take anything seriously.

It may have to be delayed for a bit, at least until I get my finances properly sorted out.

oh and speaking of Bank Holidays, have you firmed up the deets for this Sark trip thing? Ellie keeps asking me about it and I'm like SHUT UP WOMAN GAWD

Speaking of I don't think I can afford to come to Sark now either :(

Mikeside

Mike, you should know me well enough by now to know that I don't take anything seriously.

It may have to be delayed for a bit, at least until I get my finances properly sorted out.

Speaking of I don't think I can afford to come to Sark now either :(

Since our big metal argument, I'm on edge for the attack.
Also Sark should be a cheap trip - £8/night camping plus the ferry there and back. I can't imagine we'll have much more expense other than booze and food.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Do any BritGAFfers fancy a Manchester meet?

I think there's quite a sizable northGAF and MancGAF contingent. If you could ever get the shut-ins to leave their house you'll have a grand time I'm sure of it.

Are you coming along to the Newcastle meet at the end of March? Bit more up your way. Compared to Sark at least!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I think there's quite a sizable northGAF and MancGAF contingent. If you could ever get the shut-ins to leave their house you'll have a grand time I'm sure of it.

Are you coming along to the Newcastle meet at the end of March? Bit more up your way. Compared to Sark at least!

Thanks.

I'm a shut in, so even if I invited myself, I probably wouldn't come.

I'm going to try and sort something out, I am curious to meet people!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks.

You totally should, people from the internet are AWESOME. Best nights out I've had for years have been with this lot.

Def see if you can make it to Noocassle for the meet though. I've no idea what folks are doing for sleep yet, but I'm sure there would be a hotel room you could split with someone/a group.

Mikeside

I was interested until you described it as a couples retreat :/

It's a mini-holiday - few couples going but I don't think it's going to be coupley at all. I'm thinking drinking, camping, maybe we'll get somebody to bring a guitar for a sing a long, otherwise I'll get a decent bluetooth speaker for my phone or something.

Sploatee, listen to Jedeye - we're a great, accepting, fun bunch & you already fit in great. I'd be excited for you to come along to a meet. Don't worry about potential awkwardness - I was freaking out before my first meet and only went because I already knew Jed. Turned out to be literally one of the best decisions I've ever made. I count down the days to the next time I get to hang out with these fucking awesome people.

SKINNER!

Banned
lololol, I'm pulling your legs guys :p Nothing wrong with bringing the SO over. More people better banter I think. I'd be most grateful if someone brings an acoustic bass :) Haven't been around a campfire sharing tunes since my young cub scouts days.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
lololol, I'm pulling your legs guys :p Nothing wrong with bringing the SO over. More people better banter I think. I'd be most grateful if someone brings an acoustic bass :) Haven't been around a campfire sharing tunes since my young cub scouts days.

I actually have an acoustic bass, if I can figure out a way to get it there easily I will bring it. It's a bit big though lol

Mikeside

I think the only person with any possibility of having an acoustic bass (other than yourself) would be Jed & I actually don't think he has one either.

Can you just acapella the bass parts?

edit: I must be in orthopedic shoes, because I stand corrected.

NinjaBoiX

Yeeesss! Camping!
Thanks.

I'll be seeing you next month Sploat, meeting us is inevitable! I haven't booked train tickets yet, but I'll let you know when.

And yes, come to the Newcastle meet! :p
It's a mini-holiday - few couples going but I don't think it's going to be coupley at all. I'm thinking drinking, camping, maybe we'll get somebody to bring a guitar for a sing a long, otherwise I'll get a decent bluetooth speaker for my phone or something.
I've got my little pocketboom thing mike, it's pretty badass to be fair. Certainly ample to fill a small tent.

Pro-tip: put it in a slightly larger receptacle as a makeshift amp, a pint glass or something. It works surprisingly well!

Mikeside

I think somebody should bring a gazebo too. Does anyone already own a gazebo or a wind breaker?

Excellent news, Ninj - I'll leave tunes to you and the musicians, sir!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
More of a private school with some international pupils, but we do Pre U instead of A-Level and have a handful (like 20) IB guys. IB is a massive pain given how few pupils there are.

Ah, gotcha. Where I work we keep a database of pretty much every English speaking school in the world. You're probably in there somewhere.

You got something against International schools like?!

Haha! With one post I've utterly doomed any chance of a beautiful friendship with you, haven't I?

Nah, I sell crap to schools and data on schools to people who want to sell them crap. I was just mildly interested because International Schools was my area for a while and they used to lap up IB stuff. Boring, really.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeeesss! Camping!

I'll be seeing you next month Sploat, meeting us is inevitable! I haven't booked train tickets yet, but I'll let you know when.

And yes, come to the Newcastle meet! :p

Thank you. Yes, I have a plastic bag for you, you plastic bag collector, you!

Just been watching Adventure Time on Netflix and noticed the description says it's the "postapocalyptic" land of Ooo.

I didn't realise it was postapocalyptic :-/

Symphonia

Banned
Not that any of you care but I'm appealing my dismissal from work. Also, I am sorry for jimbor being banned. Anyway, just thought I'd give you a heads up that I'm actually going to follow your advice for once. I'll leave you in peace now.

Good grief.

They've managed to make Nottingham even less commutable than it was before. The new junction near where I live magically adds 30 mins to my journey and a lot of (even more) annoyed drivers on the road.

Still, I've got home and wifey, who has smartly decided to work from home, has cooked me roast duck and done roast potatoes in the duck fat. I have married well.

I shall report back to tell you all just how tasty it was.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just been watching Adventure Time on Netflix and noticed the description says it's the "postapocalyptic" land of Ooo.

I didn't realise it was postapocalyptic :-/
How far in are you? It's not a huge spoiler as this is addressed fairly early on in the first season. Also if you notice in the intro there is a huge crater in the world. You'll get more info as time goes on, don't worry about it too much.

How far in are you? It's not a huge spoiler as this is addressed fairly early on in the first season. Also if you notice in the intro there is a huge crater in the world. You'll get more info as time goes on, don't worry about it too much.

S1E19

If it's explained early on, maybe I missed the explanation??

Anyway, I'm not so fussed about spoilers really, I just liked it better when I thought it was some fantasy land instead of a postapocalyptic land.

Reknoc

S1E19

Anyway, I'm not so fussed about spoilers really, I just liked it better when I thought it was some fantasy land instead of a postapocalyptic land.

16 is the most obvious one. I believe 8 as well gives a big hint to it.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

Sploatee, listen to Jedeye - we're a great, accepting, fun bunch & you already fit in great. I'd be excited for you to come along to a meet. Don't worry about potential awkwardness - I was freaking out before my first meet and only went because I already knew Jed. Turned out to be literally one of the best decisions I've ever made. I count down the days to the next time I get to hang out with these fucking awesome people.
I thought you were saying you were getting a new handsfree dammit

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM SPLOATEE THEY MADE ME DO AWFUL THINGS

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
S1E19

It's a really cool secret subplot of the whole show. Just wait and see. It's fun. You'll like it.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Has anybody here seen the Wolf of Wall Street or 12 Years a Slave?

Yes and they are both very, very good. Go see 12 Years a Slave. Right now. It is very important. Plus you want to support British talent, right?

Wolf of Wall Street is funny but is largely forgettable.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yes and they are both very, very good. Go see 12 Years a Slave. Right now. It is very important. Plus you want to support British talent, right?

Wolf of Wall Street is funny but is largely forgettable.

Yup. We saw both this weekend. 12 years is astonishing isn't it?

I thought the same about Wolf and also that it was a bit suspect. The film is in love with Jordan Belfort.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yup. We saw both this weekend. 12 years is astonishing isn't it?

I thought the same about Wolf and also that it was a bit suspect. The film is in love with Jordan Belfort.

12 Years is just... breathtaking. I'm not sure it is something I want to watch again because it wasn't at all fun to watch. It was basically torture and misery. I think one of the sadder things is how Cumberbatch's character is capable of saving Solomon and is 'a good man' but fails completely to do so. At least Fassbender was a fucking lunatic. If Chiwetel and Fassbender don't get the double (Lead/support) at the Oscars then something has gone awry.

I didn't see Wolf like that. It was from Belfort's perspective and he glamourised it accordingly. Maybe it is just my perspective (no drugs/drink) but he seemed like a twat from the moment he starts his firm. The guys he hires, the way he behaves to everyone, the disregard for anyone but himself... I think the film does not attempt to mask his amoral behaviour. At no point is he redeemed. His sobriety - typically a sign of redemption - does nothing to save him and in the end he is still just conning people for money. I can see that the excess could be seen to be celebrating him but for me that is a result of the narrator not the directorial intent.

I do think that it was carried by its talent - Leo and Hill, particularly - and is actually quite poorly constructed and paced.

Son Of D

12 Years a Slave is a film I want to see as well. The talk about it makes me want to see it even more.

Wolf of Wall Street is something I'll wait for the physical release. I'm a big fan of Scorsese but this one doesn't seem to appeal to me.

Never watched Adventure Time.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
WHAT NEW AVAT--- Ewwwww... what is that?

It's meant to be a worried looking baby. I'm generally quite worried, so I thought it was a nice fit.

Makes quasi-sexual abuse-comedy a bit off-piste though.

I can't believe I said off-piste. I mean it in a sort of eyebrows raised sarcastic kind of way.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
12 Years is just... breathtaking. I'm not sure it is something I want to watch again because it wasn't at all fun to watch. It was basically torture and misery. I think one of the sadder things is how Cumberbatch's character is capable of saving Solomon and is 'a good man' but fails completely to do so. At least Fassbender was a fucking lunatic. If Chiwetel and Fassbender don't get the double (Lead/support) at the Oscars then something has gone awry.

I didn't see Wolf like that. It was from Belfort's perspective and he glamourised it accordingly. Maybe it is just my perspective (no drugs/drink) but he seemed like a twat from the moment he starts his firm. The guys he hires, the way he behaves to everyone, the disregard for anyone but himself... I think the film does not attempt to mask his amoral behaviour. At no point is he redeemed. His sobriety - typically a sign of redemption - does nothing to save him and in the end he is still just conning people for money. I can see that the excess could be seen to be celebrating him but for me that is a result of the narrator not the directorial intent.

I do think that it was carried by its talent - Leo and Hill, particularly - and is actually quite poorly constructed and paced.

You see, I really want to see it again. I loved the look of the film and I adore films where the director gives you space to react to the characters naturally without a constant idiot's guide. It's going to sound wrong, but I kind of understood Fassbender's character a bit. I mean, yes, he's an absolute nutter but he still felt like a real person, not just a cartoon villain. I was saying this to someone at work today - I think one of its many massive achievements is the way it provides context for people like Cumberbatch and Fassbender - they all work within this sick industry and try and deal with it in their own way. The acting was amazing though, you are so right. I hope it wins everything going.

Maybe you're right about Wolf. I got the sense that the film was deliberately like a Belfort sales pitch, but I can't put my finger on it - there was something just a bit off about it. And the female characters all felt like caricatures. I know it was meant to be a film about mad men and testosterone but it felt like it was intoxicated with it. I was frustrated by the end. It worked in fits and starts for me and shouldn't have been three hours. Three hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom