• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back at yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I know the conversation has moved on, but this weekend I am pampering, hair appointment tomorrow AM, gonna get gel nails done, buy lots of smelly things, may even have a facial. Thought it was about time I stopped looking like a hobbit! Really looking forward to it.....

Oh and lots of blurays to watch. The Malick convo the other day made me get Tree of Life. I hope it doesn't make me fall asleep again.

Ok. I've said my bit, as you were!

Damn shame, Hobbit girls are hot.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Good morning people. My alarm didn't go off this morning so I missed my bus. Got in about 10 minutes ago, not a single fuck given. I like a short day. Arrived to find my friend in the catering dept had left chocolate hob nobs and fruit shortcake biscuits outside my office. Fuck yeah!

NinjaBoiX

M6w6m4P.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
One of two movie directors I'd love to meet. If there was a special lecture given by Tarantino and then Spike Lee I'd camp for tickets in a heartbeat.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Desolation of Smaug would have been brilliant, they just needed to cut an hour of bullshit off the film. Get rid of most of the Elven scenes, especially the fabricated female elf character and dumb Hollywood romance, cut most of Laketown since it was terrible despite
Stephen Fry cameo being cool
, shorten or cut a lot of the dumb shit leading up to the Dwarves getting to the mountain (could be reduced to just 10 second scene of Bilbo realizing how to open the door instead of the ponderous waste of time that was on screen). I need to re-watch it but there was a lot of pointless crap that was obviously padded fluff since they felt the need to stretch it to 3 films.

Get rid of most of the Elven scenes, especially the fabricated female elf character

See, I agree with this in principle, but without Tauriel there's no female characters at all other than Bard's kids. That's just not on in a movie released in 2013, regardless of how good the source material is.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
See, I agree with this in principle, but without Tauriel there's no female characters at all other than Bard's kids. That's just not on in a movie released in 2013, regardless of how good the source material is.
Is that right? If that's your argument, where are the minorities in Middle Earth then? I don't see anything but white people as far as the eye can see.

In any case I don't really agree with adding a character just because the source material didn't have equal representation. She doesn't bring anything to the film and is even a bit insulting since she is basically used as a tool to present a cliche and terrible on-screen romance. At least Galadriel was a real character even if they had to port her over from LOTR.

But Hollywood gonna Hollywood.

Desolation of Smaug would have been brilliant, they just needed to cut an hour of bullshit off the film. Get rid of most of the Elven scenes, especially the fabricated female elf character and dumb Hollywood romance, cut most of Laketown since it was terrible despite
Stephen Fry cameo being cool
, shorten or cut a lot of the dumb shit leading up to the Dwarves getting to the mountain (could be reduced to just 10 second scene of Bilbo realizing how to open the door instead of the ponderous waste of time that was on screen). I need to re-watch it but there was a lot of pointless crap that was obviously padded fluff since they felt the need to stretch it to 3 films.

Yeah that dodgy romance thing between Kate from LOST and the dwarf was cringe worthy. It was so unecessary, just shoehorned in. It's like Peter Jackson doesn't realise that the most crushingly dull part of Lord of the Rings was Aragorn and Arwen's "I want to shag you in an over lit, ethereral sort of way with slow music, but I'm afraid if I do I'll wither and die" romantic sub plot.

Still, it was a better movie than Beyond: Two Souls starring Juno and the Green Goblin, what trash am I right?

Oh yeah and Jackben there were minorities in the Hobbit, there's a token black girl in the crowd in Laketown when Thorin convinces the Mayor to grant them passage to the Loney Mountain. The camera actually focuses on her 2-3 times as if to say "See! Tolkien's universe is a diverse and tolerant place after all!"

Son Of D

Just spent a few hours applying for jobs. Really hope I get something.

I wanted to see DoS but just never did. Money was an issue for starters.

The first one was better. Less romance, more action. Still, DoS was thoroughly enjoyable. Only saw the 2D version, ain't nobody got time for 3D gimmicks.

In my opinion you dodged a bullet there. Well, I saw it in 3D with High Frame Rate which made all human motion look slippery quick and more like an episode of Emmerdale with less hideous creatures.

Having seen it twice, there were perhaps 3 bits in the movie where 3D effects were actually noticeable, which I think is just not worth paying more for. Especially when, at least to me, watching in 2D gives you more clarity so you can actually see more detail during a fast fight scene.

How did you wind up seeing it for free? I may have to report you to the authorities.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The first one was better. Less romance, more action. Still, DoS was thoroughly enjoyable. Only saw the 2D version, ain't nobody got time for 3D gimmicks.

Your opinion is wrong :D

I really didn't like the first one. I thought it was 2 hours of filler and 1 hour of rehash. The second was better because it was 1 hour of filler, 1 hour of rehash and 1 hour of Cumberbatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom