• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd have been far more impressed with that BBC music video if it had been a cover of the DK Rap.

Actually, let me write to Points of View about it.

SmokyDave

Absolutely ridiculous I still can't purchase Nintendo content on a web version of the eShop.
That's because they're fucking useless at everything that isn't 'making games for all audiences'.

They should just give in and publish content for their technically competent competitors.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
NeFG3ZW.jpg
I'd have been far more impressed with that BBC music video if it had been a cover of the DK Rap.

Actually, let me write to Points of View about it.
"Dear Points of View,

Watching Queer Eye for the Straight Guy made me think that if I made gay friends they'd give me fashion tips.

Actually, they fucked me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZTahQZs76Y

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Grumpy tired today, so perhaps that's why my reaction to the BBC song is a resounding MEH.

IT'S A PERFECT DAY FOR THE NEW MILLENNIUM.

OMG SO MANY CELEBS

#dieinafire

Shame points of view was discontinued a year or tweo ago :(

Actually no, apparently it's still on. There was a question about it on the Answer Me This podcast this week.

NinjaBoiX

Daaaaaaaamn that sounds great I'm jealous.
It really was, everyone was right into the spirit of it, spinning and jiving about the place. They played The Pogues towards the end of the night and loads of people were doing the whole "spin around in a circle with an arm linked then link arms with the next person" thing (I'm sure this has a name). It was a right laugh!

I wish I could do more of these student nights, they're great but I have a full time job innit. It's Hi Focus tonight, hippity-hop-hop, would've loved to do it but I had my fill of 16 hour days a few weeks ago! I'll do the odd one, but fuck doing them back to back.
Grumpy tired today, so perhaps that's why my reaction to the BBC song is a resounding MEH.

IT'S A PERFECT DAY FOR THE NEW MILLENNIUM.

OMG SO MANY CELEBS

#dieinafire
Haha, I can't say I was quite that repulsed by it, nonplussed maybe. It's a good song choice at least.

Goddammit Grohl. Why?! You're better than this.

i love how pompous that part looks. the cover is okay though that song doesn't need anything done to it at all, it's quite perfect.
those bbc things end up being like standing on the finish line of formula one, watching people you kind-of-think-you-might-maybe-i-dunno recognise zip past you in a terrifying blur.

BBC Music have done some nice big thing of a cover of God Only Knows. Loads of people, some you'll go "oh fuck off" some you'll go "oh they did it!" and others "oh who are they young musician of the year nope not a fecking clue". I quite liked it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqLTe8h0-jo

Neat. I love God Only Knows, one of the best songs ever written, and it's a strong song choice that needs nothing done to it to be good at least, I just enjoyed this for the cute fun thing it was. If anyone had told me there was any expectation or hype for it, I'd have been underwhelmed but it just popped up on TV last night and it was just charming. Better than 90% of the promos the BBC does. And I'm glad to hear it's for charity, too.

but seriously why the fuck are the bbc STILL trying to jam sam smith down our throats he sucks so bad

I'd like to think it was a wonderful work of sarcasm that they gave the least emotive man in music, Jake Bugg, the 'Laaaas'.

Crack a smile once in a while you moody bastard.

SmokyDave

I'd like to think it was a wonderful work of sarcasm that they gave the least emotive man in music, Jake Bugg, the 'Laaaas'.

He's a Nottingham lad. We don't smile without a damned good reason. Screwface is the order of the day.

It really was, everyone was right into the spirit of it, spinning and jiving about the place. They played The Pogues towards the end of the night and loads of people were doing the whole "spin around in a circle with an arm linked then link arms with the next person" thing (I'm sure this has a name). It was a right laugh!

We did that to Cotton Eye Joe at the EGX meet, great fun.

My favourite bit of the BBC's God Only Knows deconstruction was the bit where the sexy kids from 1D showed up.

I'm so out of touch. Jake Bugg, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, John Newman... I can't tell them apart.

Sheeran's the ginger one who I went to school with and was rude to my sister so was a knob. Pretends to be all cool and hip and gangster but yeah Suffolk's not like that the ghetto of Framlingham my arse and he auditioned for Britannia High so he's so independent

I'm in a good mood this morning clearly

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
No it's Gary Oldman.

Ah I thought so! Paul Newman must be that guy from Leon.

Sheeran's the ginger one who I went to school with and was rude to my sister so was a knob. Pretends to be all cool and hip and gangster but yeah Suffolk's not like that the ghetto of Framlingham my arse and he auditioned for Britannia High so he's so independent

#metaphysicalsighfistbump

SKINNER!

Banned

That's some juicy dirt you got there. Please sir, can we have some more

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

this is 99% just my own indie elitism talking, but I feel like these solo "sensitive boy with acoustic guitar acts" are just so cynical. Easily marketed to young girls, inspiring a whole generation of trendy, 3/4 length trouser wearing tossers to sing like they're Jamaican by way of surrey.

I get what the deal is, the solo dude is supposed to mean "authenticity" but now he stands for "lucky to be plucked from obscurity and made the face of bland wank for the next 5 years while people talk about how real and emotional he is"

fuck these people, it's just another example of the mainstream co-opting something real and intimate and blowing it up until it loses all character and meaning. Not that this is anything new of course, it's just more obvious these days I think.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also, they said the piece was to represent diversity in music and yet their was no representation of the progressive new dub pop chip wave genre.

8bit

Knows the Score
One of the people replacing me is a German guy who spent the last 4 years in Newcastle, he's got the weirdest English accent I've heard in ages.

jimbor

Banned
this is 99% just my own indie elitism talking, but I feel like these solo "sensitive boy with acoustic guitar acts" are just so cynical. Easily marketed to young girls, inspiring a whole generation of trendy, 3/4 length trouser wearing tossers to sing like they're Jamaican by way of surrey.

I get what the deal is, the solo dude is supposed to mean "authenticity" but now he stands for "lucky to be plucked from obscurity and made the face of bland wank for the next 5 years while people talk about how real and emotional he is"

fuck these people, it's just another example of the mainstream co-opting something real and intimate and blowing it up until it loses all character and meaning. Not that this is anything new of course, it's just more obvious these days I think.

Ed Ginger is at least better than Dashboard Confessional, no matter how manufactured he is.

NinjaBoiX

seriously why the fuck are the bbc STILL trying to jam sam smith down our throats he sucks so bad
He's pants and responsible for the single most annoying track of the year.

Also pants, his voice is fucking hideous.
We did that to Cotton Eye Joe at the EGX meet, great fun.
Haha, I wish I'd seen that!
My favourite bit of the BBC's God Only Knows deconstruction was the bit where the sexy kids from 1D showed up.
I liked Lorde with her CGI wings giving it her patented "too nonchalant to even enunciate properly" schtick.

(I like Lorde.)

I liked Lorde with her CGI wings giving it her patented "too nonchalant to even enunciate properly" schtick.

(I like Lorde.)

Lorde looks like Mona Lisa from Parks and Rec in this.

Also I laughed when I realised on the making of that they made physical wings, and then it looks like they went wait no that's shit and CG'ed them later

SmokyDave

I don't really understand where you cats are coming into contact with this stuff. Do you all listen to Radio 1 at work or something?

To the best of my knowledge, I've never heard a single Sam Smith or Lorde track in my life. I'm fucking certain you're just making 'Dashboard Confessional' up.

I don't really understand where you cats are coming into contact with this stuff. Do you all listen to Radio 1 at work or something?

To the best of my knowledge, I've never heard a single Sam Smith or Lorde track in my life. I'm fucking certain you're just making 'Dashboard Confessional' up.

Ditto. I thought Sam Smiths was a brewery

To the best of my knowledge, I've never heard a single Sam Smith or Lorde track in my life, and I'm fucking certain you're just making 'Dashboard Confessional' up.
I work at a radio company (well, web/tech/apps, but exclusively radio) so I listen to a *lot* of radio.

Unfortunately Radio 1 appear to have followed up Even More Music month with Even More Fearne Cotton Speaking Month which is no good. Ah well back to XFM until lunch.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I made the mistake of trying to be down with the kids and watching festival coverage. Sam Smith was all over that shit like an STD, hotly followed by narrow-shouldered 'dance act' Disclosure who would feature Sam Smith.

I saw Lorde once on the one show.

Dashboard is commercial emo from the early 2000s. he's like the anti-Jonah Matranga (reference that only Mike will get)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom