• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread, man.

2175_3680.gif

Posts gif of a 900 year old Time Lord who hangs around with 20 something women. Wow.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell? Season 5 of Fringe isn't on Netflix? Goddammit.

This needs to stop.

I fell asleep and had another dream involving NeoGAF. I've had about four in total

This time, everyone in this thread was complaining about the Jews.

Peculiar

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
This needs to stop.

I fell asleep and had another dream involving NeoGAF. I've had about four in total

Peculiar

Well you know what those Jews are like.

Symphonia

Banned
This needs to stop.

Peculiar
tumblr_mf2wayzUMq1rw29eto1_500.gif

Only dream I've had about NeoGAF is the night before the London meet. More of a nightmare, truth be told. Which then became a reality.

Slowdive

Banned
Are there router settings? I access Netflix through my TV.

No, it's just a browser extension. I've tried a few times to get American Netflix on my TV by messing with the DNS and stuff but never got it to work so I gave up, I can always connect by laptop to the TV anyway.

Anyone here got Wipeout 2048? Can I transfer my progress from the PS3 version of the HD campaign over to the 2048 DLC version? Or are the singleplayer elements separated?

SKINNER!

Banned
Tashbrookeis the diaper.

pGOmE.gif

So last night's surprise screening (as part of Glasgow's Film Festival) at the GFT was an Irish dark comedy called Calvary.

Quite a surreal film I found where the blunt humour and drama not only occured so frequently but also switched quite rapidly, Pacing is a little off at times and the story during the beginning (Mostly exposition) does bizarrely jump around a bit. However, when it does get funny or serious it really delivers thanks mostly to the memorable characters.

Shorty's review rating (out of 5):
KNB6ZyP.png
KNB6ZyP.png
KNB6ZyP.png
yxVMtIe.png

Shorty's final thoughts: If you're into Irish dark humour then it's worth checking out. Just don't expect it to be light-hearted as Father Ted.

Disclaimer: Shorty_symd is not, and has never been, a movie critic and does not hold any relevant academic credentials in film. The views expressed in his reviews do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of BritGAF and Neogaf.

SmokyDave

We have a mutual friend (who I never talk) and he liked her photos of the wedding. Just feels strange seeing her in a wedding dress and stuff.
I nearly dug one of my exes up while I was burying the hamster on Tuesday. That was awkward.

As an aside, I can never decide how to spell exs / exes.

pGOmE.gif

So last night's surprise screening (as part of Glasgow's Film Festival) at the GFT was an Irish dark comedy called Calvary.

Quite a surreal film I found where the blunt humour and drama not only occured switched so frequently but also quite rapidly, Pacing is a little off at times and the story during the beginning (Mostly exposition) does bizarre jump aroind a bit. However, when it does get funny or serious it really delivers thanks mostly to the memorable characters.

Shorty's review rating (out of 5):
KNB6ZyP.png
KNB6ZyP.png
KNB6ZyP.png
yxVMtIe.png

Shorty's final thoughts: If you're into Irish dark humour then it's worth checking out. Just don't expect it to be light-hearted as Father Ted.

Disclaimer: Shorty_symd is not, and has never been, a movie critic and does hold any relevant education credentials in film. The views expressed in his reviews do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of BritGAF and Neogaf.

Have you seen their previous film The Guard? Its well worth watching.

Just noticed that Calvary isn't out until April 11 :(

theaface

Hey folks. How's everyone today? I'm feeling pretty damn shitty, to be honest. Had a big argument with my fianceé last night and it's clear we have a lot of stuff to resolve. Has anyone here tried couples counselling? If so, how were your experiences? I'm quite open minded to the idea, as I think we'll benefit from someone helping us bridge the gap between some quite drastically different perspectives on things. At the moment it feels like we're just struggling to see things from the other person's point of view.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey folks. How's everyone today? I'm feeling pretty damn shitty, to be honest. Had a big argument with my fianceé last night and it's clear we have a lot of stuff to resolve. Has anyone here tried couples counselling? If so, how were your experiences? I'm quite open minded to the idea, as I think we'll benefit from someone helping us bridge the gap between some quite drastically different perspectives on things. At the moment it feels like we're just struggling to see things from the other person's point of view.

Ah man that's a shame, sorry to hear it.

I've never tried it myself. I can't imagine what it is, if you know what I mean? IMO you should be able to talk to each other no matter how hard it is. If you can't do that for free, marriage does not sound like the best idea to me. Well, it would be a great idea for the various counselors and lawyers you'd be hiring along the way :p

What's youse guises problem specifically?

If it's stuff like kids and whatnot then be prepared for the long haul.

theaface

What's youse guises problem specifically?

A lot of it's to do with each other's parents and how each of was raised. At times we have quite different views as to what constitutes a 'normal' relationship, which I think stems from what each of us experienced as we grew up. I won't go into specifics though, as I don't think it's appropriate to on here.

Without a doubt though, the involvement of others in the wedding planning has had a big impact and made things tense - as I'm sure others will have experienced, a souring relationship with the future in-laws isn't an easy thing to manage.

I just think we'd benefit from some help in finding the middle ground.

8bit

Knows the Score

Relationships are full of ups and downs, but the main thing is that you both need to be willing to give ground. If one of you is proving immutable then you're not going to be able to move forward. If you think counselling helps, do it, but you both need to work on it.

A lot of it's to do with each other's parents and how each of was raised. At times we have quite different views as to what constitutes a 'normal' relationship, which I think stems from what each of us experienced as we grew up. I won't go into specifics though, as I don't think it's appropriate to on here.

Without a doubt though, the involvement of others in the wedding planning has had a big impact and made things tense - as I'm sure others will have experienced, a souring relationship with the future in-laws isn't an easy thing to manage.

Ah, that's a bad one. Marriage is a big headache, we told everyone we were getting married with six weeks notice and no-one had a chance to interfere.

Someone please tell me where the fuck I can get a PS4 tomorrow! My brother wants to get one and I can't find anywhere online but I would rather get one in shop anyway!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yeah man that is tough, nothing winds me up more than interfering parents (this is where we find out that it's your parents who are the overbearing ones lol). Personally, the way I see it there is no 'normal' in relationships and thinking of it that way is probably unhelpful. Without you being specific it's harder to make a judgement obviously. I'm trying to think of what would be abnormal... Is one of you being irrational and not compromising? You can share if you like, the benefit of asking strangers for advice is that it doesn't come back and bite you in the arse. Be specific! Now I'm just imagining terrible things. theaface - it's not normal to beat your GF, k??

And weddings yeah... everyone wants to stick their oar in there. I politely but firmly declined all offers like that. It's YOUR wedding, do it for YOU the way YOU want it (or more realistically, the way SHE wants it haha)

Now I'm all hung up on your definition of normal... do you want her to call you daddy?

theaface

Yeah man that is tough, nothing winds me up more than interfering parents (this is where we find out that it's your parents who are the overbearing ones lol). Personally, the way I see it there is no 'normal' in relationships and thinking of it that way is probably unhelpful. Without you being specific it's harder to make a judgement obviously. I'm trying to think of what would be abnormal... Is one of you being irrational and not compromising? You can share if you like, the benefit of asking strangers for advice is that it doesn't come back and bite you in the arse. Be specific! Now I'm just imagining terrible things. theaface - it's not normal to beat your GF, k??

And weddings yeah... everyone wants to stick their oar in there. I politely but firmly declined all offers like that. It's YOUR wedding, do it for YOU the way YOU want it (or more realistically, the way SHE wants it haha)

Now I'm all hung up on your definition of normal... do you want her to call you daddy?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know every relationship is different and there's no such thing as a typical relationship any more than there is a typical person.

In short, at one of the spectrum (where I am) you have a scenario where the man and the woman are, in most senses, equals. Both work, both provide. One (usually the man, at list historically speaking), may earn more and become to main bread winner, especially when you start a family. The man still treats the woman like a lady and chivalry and tradition are still very much a thing. All of this, to me, is normal and A-OK.

At the other end of the spectrum you have a scenario where the man is the sole (very successful) provider, and the woman doesn't work (but raises a family and keeps the home). Again, nothing that unusual there, albeit less common nowadays than it used to be.

The rub of this scenario is that the woman becomes accustomed to being treated like a queen, expecting gifts of jewellery and flowers frequently, and an unhealthy sense of entitlement creeps in. In any disagreement, the man will apologise regardless of fault. From my perspective, they cease to be equals. Not because he has a job and she does not, but because he seems to live in service to her.

Now, I'm not saying that that's the dynamic that currently exists, or is awaiting us in our relationship. Lord knows I don't earn enough to support both of us like that! But I do worry that the latter example that has been set for my SO is unhealthy and unrealistic. I consider myself more of a realist/pragmatist and know that a combination of our circumstances and my values will (and should) lean us towards the former scenario.

jimbor

Banned

Without specifics, it's obviously hard to give an accurate answer. My gut instinct sayz that if you're having serious enough problems before you're even married, it probably isn't going to work in the long term without a lot of effort from both parties. Just speaking from experience of trying to make a relationship work, despite massive difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom