• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh, don't get me wrong, I know every relationship is different and there's no such thing as a typical relationship any more than there is a typical person.

In short, at one of the spectrum (where I am) you have a scenario where the man and the woman are, in most senses, equals. Both work, both provide. One (usually the man, at list historically speaking), may earn more and become to main bread winner, especially when you start a family. The man still treats the woman like a lady and chivalry and tradition are still very much a thing. All of this, to me, is normal and A-OK.

At the other end of the spectrum you have a scenario where the man is the sole (very successful) provider, and the woman doesn't work (but raises a family and keeps the home). Again, nothing that unusual there, albeit less common nowadays than it used to be.

The rub of this scenario is that the woman becomes accustomed to being treated like a queen, expecting gifts of jewellery and flowers frequently, and an unhealthy sense of entitlement creeps in. In any disagreement, the man will apologise regardless of fault. From my perspective, they cease to be equals. Not because he has a job and she does not, but because he seems to live in service to her.

Now, I'm not saying that that's the dynamic that currently exists, or is awaiting us in our relationship. Lord knows I don't earn enough to support both of us like that! But I do worry that the latter example that has been set for my SO is unhealthy and unrealistic. I consider myself more of a realist/pragmatist and know that a combination of our circumstances and my values will (and should) lean us towards the former scenario.

Ah fascinating, I get you. My marriage is fairly equal, although we do tend towards a bit of gender-normative behavious (mrs H told me just the other day that she enjoys doing the weekly shop because it makes her feel like she's looking after me, awwww). But mostly, we don't expect the world of each other beyond the usual 'be nice to this person because you love them' stuff.

I know there definitely is that extra pressure on the man to be the provider though, especially in the years where she'll be out of work due to making babies. Scares the crap out of me - we've been living for 14 years with two incomes, supporting a family on just my wages is really scary.

So basically, you need to start being more of a dick to her now so she gets used to it.

NinjaBoiX

Sorry to hear about your relationship drama's aface. Everyone else seem to have it covered advice wise so I'll just post/comment on pretty girls instead.
Also, from that annoying Hipster thread:

pzw3bKT.jpg

HH-fucking-NNGGGG. srsly
Dammit Jed, cool shirt, geeky specs and pigtails? Give her a few tattoos, red hair and a cute hat and you've discovered the formula for kryptonite.

For CHEEZMO:
LHXkbmw.jpg

k5g2SX8.jpg

sZcBDGA.jpg

Fuck yeah, man, he's a dish.
Harry: "Holy jeez, look at the butt on that."

Lloyd: "Yeah, he must work out."

Mikeside

I think the problem with both those scenarios is that they're templates. When your relationship follows a template, however loosely, I think it struggles to be dynamic and to adapt to the actual lives you're living which is where I think it is most likely to fail.

Don't fill gender roles, just be who you want to be and work to keep yourself and your partner happy. If both people can do that without worrying about how the relationship is supposed to be then I think it'll be strongest.

I think couples counselling is a great thing so long as you're both willing to admit some fault and both will work to get your relationship back to where you want it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think the problem with both those scenarios is that they're templates. When your relationship follows a template, however loosely, I think it struggles to be dynamic and to adapt to the actual lives you're living which is where I think it is most likely to fail.

Don't fill gender roles, just be who you want to be and work to keep yourself and your partner happy. If both people can do that without worrying about how the relationship is supposed to be then I think it'll be strongest.

I think couples counselling is a great thing so long as you're both willing to admit some fault and both will work to get your relationship back to where you want it.

This is really great advice. I think what's key is that if you find yourself in a role in a relationship that you're not happy with, it's important to be able to express that to your partner and expect their support back in turn. I find that people do settle into a rhythm but it's not the law, you can change the dynamic if you want to. But on the other hand, I don't think it can be changed that much. By degrees, but not by the cardinal directions.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ey Mike, do you know what's going on with this Sark trip yet? My free weekends are rapidly evaporating and the Mrs would need to book time off work. Is this where we admit to ourselves it was a beautiful pipe dream and start planning a London piss up to fill the gap? :p

Ey Mike, do you know what's going on with this Sark trip yet? My free weekends are rapidly evaporating and the Mrs would need to book time off work. Is this where we admit to ourselves it was a beautiful pipe dream and start planning a London piss up to fill the gap? :p

lol Sark

camping has traditionally been my idea of the worst possible way to spend a holiday but I'm well up for this.

I don't even have any plans to turn it into a slasher flick where I go nuts and hunt everyone down with a crossbow.

Mikeside

This is really great advice. I think what's key is that if you find yourself in a role in a relationship that you're not happy with, it's important to be able to express that to your partner and expect their support back in turn. I find that people do settle into a rhythm but it's not the law, you can change the dynamic if you want to. But on the other hand, I don't think it can be changed that much. By degrees, but not by the cardinal directions.

I think the earlier you establish that you're a person and the relationship needs to adapt to you as people rather than vice versa, the more you're able to change the dynamic when you need to.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Speaking of camping, IIRC one of my friends owns a rather lovely piece of land just outside of farnham in the woods that has rather exquisite grass. If Sark is a bridge/boat too far I could ask him if we could borrow it for a weekend?

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, the closer it gets to this camping trip the more I realise it's probably going to clash really badly with moving down Manc and getting myself settled.

Not discounting it entirely, just tempering expectations.
Speaking of camping, IIRC one of my friends owns a rather lovely piece of land just outside of farnham in the woods that has rather exquisite grass. If Sark is a bridge/boat too far I could ask him if we could borrow it for a weekend?
Some good shit?

Sold!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, the closer it gets to this camping trip the more I realise it's probably going to clash really badly with moving down Manc and getting myself settled.

Not discounting it entirely, just tempering expectations.

Me too but with running exams. That first bank holiday is a writeoff almost, and the second ain't much better...

Some good shit?

Sold!

It's sooooooo soft. Like nature's carpet.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's sooooooo soft. Like nature's carpet.

It's a hybrid. A cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on the stuff.

Mikeside

Looking at travel times, we might be better off looking at camping by yours, John ... I wasn't expecting it to be over 6 hours to get there from South England!

Unless people want to look at doing a week in sark over summer instead?

Son Of D

Give it about 9 months and she'll produce you a new gf

Classic Jimbor there. No holds barred.

Have you seen their previous film The Guard? Its well worth watching.

Just noticed that Calvary isn't out until April 11 :(

I second this. The Guard is a great film and worth a watch.

I'd be in favour of more London meetups.

You mentioning this has reminded me to mention that my planned London trip is now looking to be late April to early May. I'll have dates ready soon if anyone's up for a mini meet during that time.

Mikeside

Classic Jimbor there. No holds barred.

I second this. The Guard is a great film and worth a watch.

You mentioning this has reminded me to mention that my planned London trip is now looking to be late April to early May. I'll have dates ready soon if anyone's up for a mini meet during that time.

I will be up for it

jimbor

Banned
Sark is dead, long live Farnham? Would probably suit my budget a million times better although Sark will be visited one day.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just heard back from my mate, the field in the woods is GO motherfuckers. You Londoners are going to freak the fuck out. There are trees and shit

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just heard back from my mate, the field in the woods is GO motherfuckers. You Londoners are going to freak the fuck out. There are trees and shit

Anywhere near Bourne wood? A friend of mine lives nearby and they saw Thor being filmed there

Btw, anyone know what happens to smoky Dave? Hopefully just a short ban?

NinjaBoiX

So we're still camping in May then, just somewhere else? I'm in, Mos Def, providing other commitments don't clash.

Pencil me in, I'll confirm closer to the time.
Btw, anyone know what happens to smoky Dave? Hopefully just a short ban?
He said a 3DS game looked like a PS1 game.

sgFBGbm.gif

Symphonia

Banned
Welp, popped down to the nearest shop to pick up a few essentials and bumped into one of my exes. It was a fairly friendly conversation up until the point where it came to saying goodbyes, etc and I called her by the wrong name.

URGH.gif

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I won't be coming camping because I despise camping. But I'd like to send something on my behalf? Maybe like a small piece of plywood or something? At least then I can be there symbolically.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Guys I'd be so Fucking down for camping it's unreal
Welp, popped down to the nearest shop to pick up a few essentials and bumped into one of my exes. It was a fairly friendly conversation up until the point where it came to saying goodbyes, etc and I called her by the wrong name.

URGH.gif
Just remember to avoid the pic'n'mix section next time

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I won't be coming camping because I despise camping. But I'd like to send something on my behalf? Maybe like a small piece of plywood or something? At least then I can be there symbolically.

I'm likewise on the camping, sploat. But I am happy to send a representative - like maybe a nice bit of Carnelian. Send me the plywood and I will sellotape a gemstone to it and we can both be there in spirit. Way better than being there in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom