• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
NEW TOOL ALBUM 2014?

tumblr_inline_muh7zutxQz1rqs8ry.gif

NinjaBoiX

Aww yeah, music vibe still going today I see! So that was DJ Shadow on Wednesday, Radiohead Thursday and Amon Tobin on Friday? Spoilt brats.

Amon Tobin - Verbal

Cujo (Amon Tobin) - Cat People

Amon Tobin - The Clean Up
Anyone listen to Kylesa? If you're in the mood for some hard rock and a kick in the pants they certainly provide it.
Nice, the drums are phenomenal.
Fans of Aphex Twin and Amon Tobin have you ever heard Little People? This song is so damn fantastic and the album it's on is as well.

edit: Have a bonus because XNinja luvs his links.
Yup, Ninj lyks dis.
If it's any consolation dude, I got the joke. I nearly chortled ;)
Just keep your Ninty bashing to the clubhouse next time David, the mods don't know the secret knock.

NinjaBoiX

Yes boys! All hail Tobin! Daps and The Meat Bros in on the act, *sniff*.

That Boxcutter is pretty cool Daps, I'd never heard before. And as it's the weekend, how about a proper club banger. Some delicious deep house from the boi Bashmore:

Julio Bashmore - Au Seve
Play this super loud with the bass cranked or GTFO.

SmokyDave

Just keep your Ninty bashing to the clubhouse next time David, the mods don't know the secret knock.
Tut, I have done a thousand dreadful things
As willingly as one would kill a fly,
And nothing grieves me heartily indeed
But that I cannot do ten thousand more.

Blink Me

Anyone doing anything nice for the weekend?

I'm off to see Chelsea vs. Spurs and am super excited!

The shit from Spurs bought his flight,
But Willian saw the light
He got the call from Abramovich,
And off he went to Stamford Bridge,
He hates Tottenham, He hates Tottenham, He hates Tottenham, He hates Tottenham.

I expect you to chant this even if you're a Spurs fan. Me and my mates are Norwich fans but we always sing this on a night out.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Preach it, sister!

Idioteque is aaalright. But it never did anything for me. It's one of the worst bits of Kid A for me. I prefer stuff like the title track and Morning Bell. Idioteque is just too overwrought and although the we're not scaremongering line works the rest of the lyric is irritating. Too much hyperventilating. Too much reverb. It's ugly-sounding.

2+2=5 might have been good if not for the horrible, anaesthetised / vacuum-packed sound of Hail To The Thief. It's meant to sound loose and spontaneous but it's so bloody plasticky. Scotch Mist Bodysnatchers - that is the sound of Radiohead as guitar band I like - loose, propulsive and with layers. Most of the HTTT stuff sounds way better live, but the album versions are sound like bad B-sides. Apart from the piano sound. Good piano sound.

Electioneering is OK. I like the way the guitar lines in the chorus work but it and Climbing up the Walls are the worst patch of OK Computer for me (first 5 songs best for me, I never really got my head around the Sexy Sadie rip in Karma Police) .

Pyramid Song is also so the best song on Amnesiac - the thing is just perfect - the orchestration, the rhythm, the lyric and the way it builds without becoming settled. Amnesiac is pretty good though - life in Glasshouse is close second.

Pablo Honey is dreadful. Absolutely dreadful. A really bad record in every way. It's a band pretending to be something they are not and coming off as ridiculous.

I don't even like the Bends that much. It's just U2 with Joey Santiago and grunge lyrics. And again it has a horrible plasticky sheen to it. Everything sounds wrapped in cling film.

No, right, Kid A and Amnesiac are the best, King of Limbs is brilliant, In Rainbows is good. OK Comp is OK but outshone by what came after.

But when it comes to British bands, The Fall are better than everybody else.

That's my rant over. I'm off to lunch.

SmokyDave

2+2=5 might have been good if not for the horrible, anaesthetised / vacuum-packed sound of Hail To The Thief. It's meant to sound loose and spontaneous but it's so bloody plasticky.
Funny you should say that, I much prefer the unmastered version of HTTT.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Idioteque is aaalright. But it never did anything for me. It's one of the worst bits of Kid A for me. I prefer stuff like the title track and Morning Bell. Idioteque is just too overwrought and although the we're not scaremongering line works the rest of the lyric is irritating. Too much hyperventilating. Too much reverb. It's ugly-sounding.

2+2=5 might have been good if not for the horrible, anaesthetised / vacuum-packed sound of Hail To The Thief. It's meant to sound loose and spontaneous but it's so bloody plasticky. Scotch Mist Bodysnatchers - that is the sound of Radiohead as guitar band I like - loose, propulsive and with layers. Most of the HTTT stuff sounds way better live, but the album versions are sound like bad B-sides. Apart from the piano sound. Good piano sound.

Electioneering is OK. I like the way the guitar lines in the chorus work but it and Climbing up the Walls are the worst patch of OK Computer for me (first 5 songs best for me, I never really got my head around the Sexy Sadie rip in Karma Police) .

Pyramid Song is also so the best song on Amnesiac - the thing is just perfect - the orchestration, the rhythm, the lyric and the way it builds without becoming settled. Amnesiac is pretty good though - life in Glasshouse is close second.

Pablo Honey is dreadful. Absolutely dreadful. A really bad record in every way. It's a band pretending to be something they are not and coming off as ridiculous.

I don't even like the Bends that much. It's just U2 with Joey Santiago and grunge lyrics. And again it has a horrible plasticky sheen to it. Everything sounds wrapped in cling film.

No, right, Kid A and Amnesiac are the best, King of Limbs is brilliant, In Rainbows is good. OK Comp is OK but outshone by what came after.

That's my rant over. I'm off to lunch.

I like Pablo Honey but mostly because I got really into it when I was about 14, so the nostalgia waves coming off it are palpable.

With you on Bodysnatchers though, gawd that song rocks beautifully. And the live versions too, IMO Scotch Mist/Basement sessions are THE way to listen to In Rainbows and King of Limbs (KoL especially, at least In Rainbows sounds gorge).

My Radiohead deep cuts are pretty much all B-Sides because I was obsessed with them as a lad. Therefore I think Cuttooth or Fog might be my favourite song, and Bends era stuff like you Never Wash Up After Yourself or India Rubber stick out to me. And then you've got stuff like Talk Show Host and Palo Alto from the OKC/Meeting People Is Easy era, soooooo good.

I quite like the Fall, I saw them a couple of years ago and they were bloody amazing. I only have one Fall song which is Blindness (DAT BASS AWWWWWW YEAH). What would you recommend to someone who especially likes that sound?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Funny you should say that, I much prefer the unmastered version of HTTT.

I did not know this existed. I shake my ranting fist at the sky.

oooh I shall have to hunt this down too. Have you guys ever listened to HTTT in the revised order that Thom posted? It goes:

There There
The Gloaming
Sail to the Moon
Sit Down, Stand Up
Go To Sleep
Where I end and you begin
Scatterbrain
2+2=5
Myxamatosis
A Wolf at the Door

The shit from Spurs bought his flight,
But Willian saw the light
He got the call from Abramovich,
And off he went to Stamford Bridge,
He hates Tottenham, He hates Tottenham, He hates Tottenham, He hates Tottenham.

I expect you to chant this even if you're a Spurs fan. Me and my mates are Norwich fans but we always sing this on a night out.

Look at my avatar :p! I'll be singing it loudly!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I like Pablo Honey but mostly because I got really into it when I was about 14, so the nostalgia waves coming off it are palpable.

With you on Bodysnatchers though, gawd that song rocks beautifully. And the live versions too, IMO Scotch Mist/Basement sessions are THE way to listen to In Rainbows and King of Limbs (KoL especially, at least In Rainbows sounds gorge).

My Radiohead deep cuts are pretty much all B-Sides because I was obsessed with them as a lad. Therefore I think Cuttooth or Fog might be my favourite song, and Bends era stuff like you Never Wash Up After Yourself or India Rubber stick out to me. And then you've got stuff like Talk Show Host and Palo Alto from the OKC/Meeting People Is Easy era, soooooo good.

I quite like the Fall, I saw them a couple of years ago and they were bloody amazing. I only have one Fall song which is Blindness (DAT BASS AWWWWWW YEAH). What would you recommend to someone who especially likes that sound?

Palo Alto is belting too. And with you 1000000% on the basement King Of Limbs. It's f'ing incredible. The Little By Little there! And the Separator too. Daily Mail n'all. I'll take that.

I don't know Blindness. When I turned 30 I decided I was going to go through all of the Fall's albums from beginning to end and not listen to anything out of order. I'm up to 'Slates' so far. I'll recommend you just good Fall stuff if you want?

My favourite record of theirs is Dragnet - I think most people don't like it but it has this amazing grimy sound like early Sonic Youth - I love Psykick Dancehall, Put Away and Spector vs Rector loads.

The obvious ones are good - Elastic Man, Industrial Estate, Just Step Sideways, container drivers.

New Puritan (the version from Totale's Turns -the 7 min one) is amazing.

Amazing Northern Songs too - Leave the Capitol (it's almost motorik) The NRWA is fantastic.

Umm for bass heavy ones there is one newer fall song which might do you - Two Librans?

You could try Girls Against Boys - Venus Luxure No.1 Baby is like bass on bass on bass. Sounds like BDSM soundtrack.

SmokyDave

Shouldn't be too hard for you two to track down the unmastered version. It's usually labelled as such. It's the version that leaked ages before the official release.

oooh I shall have to hunt this down too. Have you guys ever listened to HTTT in the revised order that Thom posted? It goes:

There There
The Gloaming
Sail to the Moon
Sit Down, Stand Up
Go To Sleep
Scatterbrain
2+2=5
Myxamatosis
A Wolf at the Door
Can't believe I forgot the bolded. Maybe that's my favourite. That, 2+2=5, or Exit Music (For A Film).

Haven't listened to the album in that order, I'll give it a go. Have you listened to any of the 'Kid 17' stuff? It's basically a few tracks from Kid A where you play the same track twice, 17 seconds apart. I'm not sure I believe it's intentional, but some of 'em do work really well.

Son Of D

Are you cats giving the wrong answers because you're being all meta and you know it's really 2+2=5?

'Cause it is.

My man. Fucking love that song.

Simply a Dave is back joke but now ruined because I committed the cardinal sin of explaining it.

Ah, well maybe we can just pretend this conversation never happened and maybe he won't se-

If it's any consolation dude, I got the joke. I nearly chortled ;)

Dang it. Welcome back by the way Dave, glad that it wasn't a long ban.

Reknoc

I Might be Wrong (but I'm not) or Dollars & Cents.

Agree with you on whats the best and whats the worst though I think In Rainbows is better than King of Limbs.

There There
The Gloaming
Sail to the Moon
Sit Down, Stand Up
Go To Sleep
Scatterbrain
2+2=5
Myxamatosis
A Wolf at the Door

Gonna have to try this at some point HTTT was my first so it has a special place in my heart even if I don't consider it as good as I did (also Where I end and you begin is definitely the best track on the album)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The best Radiohead track is Maquiladora.

C'mon guys, it's like you're not even trying.

Bitch, please. Pearly* and Lull shit all over it.

The frenetic, jittery, overwrought nature of the song is what I love about it. The keyboard sample, snare (dat snare!) and the bass drum are perfection. Kid A has a lot of stand out moments but Idioteque rises above the rest for me.

The absolute, hands down worst track is Motion Picture Soundtrack. It's not the song or the lyrics (the acoustic version is sublime) but the terribly overcooked arrangement; it borders on parody towards the end.

Yeah, HTTT suffers from poor production choices, but I'd say The Gloaming and Myxamotosis come off really well, straddling the live/electronic sound near perfectly.

Where other albums are often a creative leap, THHH seems like a 'best of', plundering a lot of past ideas.

The last two tracks, Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door, are probably my least favourite songs in their oeuvre.

Body snatchers is one of the few blemishes on In Rainbow's otherwise near perfect run. Just feels like too much of a backward step without managing to match their older guitar based stuff.

We'll have to disagree on Electioneering and CUTW, but I'll concur that Karma Police is probably the album's low point.

Yeah, it's very much of it's time, isn't it? I gotta say, Blowout, You and Lurgee will always have a special place.

Top three goes like this: OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows. King of Limbs is great live but doesn't really work for me on record.

Most of Radiohead's best songs are B-sides anyway.

They are VERY good.

NinjaBoiX

sploatee, the best British band is Massive Attack. I thought everyone knew this? Oh well, that can be your new thing for the day.
The frenetic, jittery, overwrought nature of the song is what I love about it. The keyboard sample, snare (dat snare!) and the bass drum are perfection. Kid A has a lot of stand out moments but Idioteque rises above the rest for me.
Yup, it's all about those four chords layering on top of each other; they kind of morph and stretch into this incredible wail of electronic noise. It's a potent, spine-tingling concoction for a melody. I mean that quite literally, it invokes an actual physiological reaction in me. FUUUU----!

My mate says he loves Radiohead, but he only ever listens to Pablo Honey. He says it's the best record. :| So he basically doesn't like Radiohead as far as I'm concerned.

But it is the one with Creep on it, so...(lulz)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

There There
The Gloaming
Sail to the Moon
Sit Down, Stand Up
Go To Sleep
Scatterbrain
2+2=5
Myxamatosis
A Wolf at the Door

This is much much better. No Punch Up at a Wedding! Yay!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Bitch, please. Pearly* and Lull shit all over it.

The absolute, hands down worst track is Motion Picture Soundtrack. It's not the song or the lyrics (the acoustic version is sublime) but the terribly overcooked arrangement; it borders on parody towards the end.

Yeah, HTTT suffers from poor production choices, but I'd say The Gloaming and Myxamotosis come off really well, straddling the live/electronic sound near perfectly.

Where other albums are often a creative leap, THHH seems like a 'best of', plundering a lot of past ideas.

The last two tracks, Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door, are probably my least favourite songs in their oeuvre.

Body snatchers is one of the few blemishes on In Rainbow's otherwise near perfect run. Just feels like too much of a backward step without managing to match their older guitar based stuff.

We'll have to disagree on Electioneering and CUTW, but I'll concur that Karma Police is probably the album's low point.

Yeah, it's very much of it's time, isn't it? I gotta say, Blowout, You and Lurgee will always have a special place.

Top three goes like this: OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows. King of Limbs is great live but doesn't really work for me on record.

Most of Radiohead's best songs are B-sides anyway.

They are VERY good.

Sorry I can't respond in an easier way to read (and also for multiposts).

I know I'm in the minority on Idioteque. It just doesn't get me. I always listen to Kid A in one go and it feels like a bit of an outlier. I love Motion Picture Soundtrack! The kitchen sink stuff feels very White Album and I think it's a nice way to cap everything off. It's also such a sad song, it's a nice contrast.

Mixo is Amazing live, it's just a monster. I don't mind it on the album but the drums are too compressed for me. Let Phil shine!

Ah... I think Scatterbrain and Wolf are two of the strongest tracks, especially Scatterbrain. It's lovely and also feels like it's not quite right (in a good way). I could prob do without 'flan in the face' though.

I don't know Mr M, I can't understand anyone not loving Bodysnatchers. It's just so whizzy and Neuey. And it's so unfussy, especially for an obsessive bunch like Radiohead.

On the Fall... I think MES should be poet laureate. Honestly! It's not just non sequiturs. Its annoying how that utter bumwipe Morrissey gets all the adulation for his lyrics but MES is meant to be an acquired taste. I also love how they are run like a factory, their artwork, everything. They are the only guitar band where nothing about them annoys me.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
apparently not since:

i like punch up at a wedding :(

though i dont really mind its absence from the tracklist, much less happy about scatterbrain being in and backdrifts being out.

I'm loving Tomb Raider too. I hope we can still be friends.

NinjaBoiX

But but but NO!

Although I only know their singles.

SNEAKER PIMPS 4EVA
Yiss! Fellow Sneaker Pimps fan! I loved these guys a few years back but I don't listen to them so much these days for whatever reason. But I need to get you into Massive Attack man. It sounds like you're into the whole trip-hop thing from your previous posts, Sneaker Pimps were like trip-hop light. Trip-pop?

Anyway, Massive Attack time lady! (You said that you've heard most of the singles, but in choosing some to recommend, I realised just how many singles they released! Hopefully you won't have heard some of these):

Massive Attack - Daydreaming

Massive Attack - Risingson

Massive Attack - Black Milk

Massive Attack - Better Things

Massive Attack - Paradise Circus

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That's a good selection, Ninj!

Sploat? At least we both hate Morrissey :)

"If it's me and yer granny on bongos, it's the Fall."

Legendary.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yiss! Fellow Sneaker Pimps fan! I loved these guys a few years back but I don't listen to them so much these days for whatever reason. But I need to get you into Massive Attack man. It sounds like you're into the whole trip-hop thing from your previous posts, Sneaker Pimps were like trip-hop light. Trip-pop?

Anyway, Massive Attack time lady! (You said that you've heard most of the singles, but in choosing some to recommend, I realised just how many singles they released! Hopefully you won't have heard some of these):

Massive Attack - Daydreaming

Massive Attack - Risingson

Massive Attack - Black Milk

Massive Attack - Better Things

Massive Attack - Paradise Circus

I replied to this but my phone broke NeoGAF.

I did say "On it like a car bonnet."

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
if soul sacrifice delta gets released here i promise i wont sacrifice you

probably

Thanks.

maybe

-------

I got an error posting earlier and now my phone won't access NeoGAF - all I get is a white screen no matter what browser I use. I've cleared cookies but still nowt...anyone got any advice please? I have an Android phone.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Grrrr.

He is not:

- Oscar Wilde
- John Keats
- the voice of the North
- likeable in any way
- deserving of a "Penguin Classic"
- funny
- worthy of adulation

I was going to say he is not Oscar Wilde, he is a very naughty boy, but that kind of felt Morrissey-ish a bit. "Ooo Matron" etc.

AcridMeat

Banned
Sexy boi with these links
Amon Tobin - Four Ton Mantis

Amon Tobin - Chomp Samba

Amon Tobin - Lighthouse

Reposting, because it's amazing:

Amon Tobin - Two Fingers Live Mix

@acrid

That is good shit all round. You got some fine ass musical sensibilities. :)
Thanks man. I keep a "blog" as a place to throw random links same as I post 'em around. I listened to that Two Fingers mix recently again, damn great 20 minutes there.
Chaos Theory made me a Tobin fan though there's only so much of that "drumkit falling down the stairs" thing I can take.

Still, if you like that sort of thing and the ambience Tobin brings, you might like Boxcutter, though it's more of moody dubstep vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSJ49jrAUOI

EDIT

Actually only some of it is of the wub wub variety

another link to demonstrate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uj9_q5N-0o
You too, god damn. Reminds me a bit of Tipper.

I just woke up and I'm in a haze of music right now. I mentioned Kylesa and I was listening to them some more to keep me awake while I worked on something. Some notables I didn't link here. Don't Look Back and Unknown Awareness. The latter being the song I usually link when sharing this band, think it's cool I went with some others first this time. Means they've grown on me.

Grrrr.

He is not:

- Oscar Wilde
- John Keats
- the voice of the North
- likeable in any way
- deserving of a "Penguin Classic"
- funny
- worthy of adulation

Well, to be fair, neither am I. Maybe that's why I like some of his songs?

He has released some right pap as well though. And if you read / watch Shelagh Delaney's A Taste Of Honey it's pretty obvious that he lifted some of his more memorable Smiths lyrics wholesale.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Well, to be fair, neither am I. Maybe that's why I like some of his songs?

He has released some right pap as well though. And if you read / watch Shelagh Delaney's A Taste Of Honey it's pretty obvious that he lifted some of his more memorable Smiths lyrics wholesale.

How do you know you're not worthy of adulation? If you don't love yourself, nobody else will, you know.

To be honest, my opinion is probably based more on often being surrounded by people who worship him. And living in Manc there's just so much about. Same goes for the Stone Roses. Tried to like them. Failed.

SmokyDave

Smoky be honest because I value your opinion more than most on this forum. How terrifying is having a kid?
Right now? It's not that all that scary, because she ain't here yet. I get the occasional wave of terror wash over me when I realise that she's going to be entirely under my care (and Mrs S', obviously), but generally I'm just excited. Those occasional waves of terror chill me to the bone though. We need to keep a helpless human alive at all costs.

Once she's here, I expect the gravity of the situation to truly hit me. I now have to live for someone else, 24 hours a day. I can't assume that she'll take care of anything, because she can't. Everything is going to change, and many factors are outside of my control. I can almost physically feel the weight of responsibility increasing.

What if I lost my job? What if I was hit by a car? Will my smoking come back and bite me with lung cancer at 45? What values do I teach her? When do I teach them? How do I adapt to the life of a modern kid when I did my developing before the internet existed? How do I steer her away from the mistakes I made without being a massive hypocrite?

I know, deep down, that it'll all be fine. I'm going to be a good dad, and Mrs Smoky is exactly who I'd create if you asked me to make the ideal mother. We're not rich, but we're certainly comfortable. Much better off than our parents were. We have good families that we can rely on, with many close siblings that have kids of their own. We live a good and happy life and we're in an environment that our baby should be happy to grow up in. We've both seen and done some shit, so we know what's up. Ultimately, on paper, we should rock this. That does bring me a measure of confidence and calm that keeps me from freaking out.

To be honest, I'll be in a much better position to answer the question in a month (assuming I can stay awake long enough to type). Right now, all I can think about is the labour. We only have two days until Mrs S is taken into hospital and put through the most important experience of her life. Much as the baby is all-consuming, it's Mrs S that has my thoughts right now. I wish I could take her place because I'd much rather that than helplessly observing.

I tell you something though. We had a 4D scan about a week ago, and it's quite clear that my daughter shares my features. Recognising that little face on the monitor was the most surreal elation I've ever felt. I know that once she arrives, all my doubts and fears won't mean a thing in the face of my determination to do right by her, whatever it takes.

AcridMeat

Banned
After reading that you guys sound to be ideal parents at this point in time. Best wishes to you and Mrs, it's still unimaginable to me at this stage in life. Happy for you man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom