• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbor

Banned
I've been listening to a playlist consisting of Modest Mouse, Built To Spill, Pixies, Pavement, My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, Minus the Bear, Titus Andronicus, Dinosaur Jr., Radiohead, Broken Social Scene, Joy Division, TV On The Radio, etc.

It's been a good day musically. It's missing The Cure though, the hell.

edit: Oh fuuuuck yes ZDLR, KRS One & Last Emperor This is like sounding the alarm for a shorty appearance in the thread.
Depending on what radiohead tracks, that could be a good playlist.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Crickey, that's quite a list of instruments! I can just about play the guitar, my approach being to mash my fingers (or anything that comes to hand) on the fret board and see what happens.

When you say 'free improv' are you talking super arty noise ambient stuff, jazzy goodness or something else...?

That's a damn shame. Maybe you'll be back on the upswing on Monday? Obviously not to the same degree as yourself, but I get super anxious before playing (it's a running joke with my mates), right up until I'm in the middle of it, then it all seems to go in a box and I completely forget I'm there. It's weird.

Musical family - dad is guitar, bass, keyboard and bouzouki and mum is classical pianist.

For me, it's a mix between Derek Bailey-ims, Sonic Youth-isms and wanting to play like Otomo Yoshihide but other people do their own thing.

I don't know, I don't feel like I have the energy and I have group therapy the next day. There are also new people there with epic credentials who frighten me.

It's weird how easy it is to overshare on the internet. Anyway, feels kind of cathartic!

What type of things do you play?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Musical family - dad is guitar, bass, keyboard and bouzouki and mum is classical pianist.

For me, it's a mix between Derek Bailey-ims, Sonic Youth-isms and wanting to play like Otomo Yoshihide but other people do their own thing.

I don't know, I don't feel like I have the energy and I have group therapy the next day. There are also new people there with epic credentials who frighten me.

It's weird how easy it is to overshare on the internet. Anyway, feels kind of cathartic!

Overshare away ladydude! It's good to bleuuugh I find.

I know everyone is different in their headspaces but I find music very cathartic but as I mentioned previously it also feels a bit like I've peeled all my skin off and I'm very emotionally vulnerable and volatile leading up to a performance. But then the act of performing is like covering myself in liquid skin, fills in all cracks and makes me feel a bit stronger again.

So my (perhaps unhelpfully chipper) advice would be to go along, put your head down and get noodling. Improv feels so damn good when it works, doesn't it?

you also sound like a very interesting guitarist. If only you were further south, I bet you'd play well with our guitarist.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Interesting. Was it something they pushed or did you take an interest off you're own back? I'd love my daughter to get into music but don't want to scare her off! It's all Bjork, Yo La Tengo and Boards of Canada for her bath time :)

You sound like you know how to play. Love some Bailey and especially love The Yoof.

They sound like good people to learn from :)

Near anonymity, innit?

I used to do this (post hardcore/rock). I currently do this (noise improv) as well as something else similar to what I used to do.... And I will be depping for the guitarist in this (ambient noise improv), which I'm very excited about.

You people make me feel talentless since I don't play any instruments
although sometimes I play with the bongos Ninja sent me

Thing is I wanted to learn an instrument when I was young and of all the things I decided to try and learn, I picked the saxophone, and literally the only reason I chose that instrument was because I'd heard Baker Street on the radio and had unrealistic expectations of what I'd be able to accomplish after a couple of weeks.

jimbor

Banned
You people make me feel talentless since I don't play any instruments
although sometimes I play with the bongos Ninja sent me

Thing is I wanted to learn an instrument when I was young and of all the things I decided to try and learn, I picked the saxophone, and literally the only reason I chose that instrument was because I'd heard Baker Street on the radio and had unrealistic expectations of what I'd be able to accomplish after a couple of weeks.

I'm sure playing a mean rusty trombone is still within your reach.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just found out Edgar Wright was dating Anna Kendrick until last year. That fills me with pride/envy.

Today is a day for learning things it appears

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Overshare away ladydude! It's good to bleuuugh I find.

I know everyone is different in their headspaces but I find music very cathartic but as I mentioned previously it also feels a bit like I've peeled all my skin off and I'm very emotionally vulnerable and volatile leading up to a performance. But then the act of performing is like covering myself in liquid skin, fills in all cracks and makes me feel a bit stronger again.

So my (perhaps unhelpfully chipper) advice would be to go along, put your head down and get noodling. Improv feels so damn good when it works, doesn't it?

you also sound like a very interesting guitarist. If only you were further south, I bet you'd play well with our guitarist.

Thanks Jed (and Meat)! I've booked Monday and Tuesday off so I'm all in now. You guys gave me the boot I needed.

Yes, I think it might be a lot more intense for you as you are playing your own stuff to a paying audience. It's easier a bit when it's just other musicians.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Interesting. Was it something they pushed or did you take an interest off you're own back? I'd love my daughter to get into music but don't want to scare her off! It's all Bjork, Yo La Tengo and Boards of Canada for her bath time :)

You sound like you know how to play. Love some Bailey and especially love The Yoof.

They sound like good people to learn from :)

Near anonymity, innit?

I used to do this (post hardcore/rock). I currently do this (noise improv) as well as something else similar to what I used to do.... And I will be depping for the guitarist in this (ambient noise improv), which I'm very excited about.

They pushed me towards piano but I didn't enjoy it. There were always instruments lying about and people playing so I just sort of absorbed it all.

I will listen when I get in tonight. Sounds interesting!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Welcome back Dave you horrible 3DS hating monster. Just in time to live-post the arrival of babyDave, I can hear Musha's ovaries quivering in anticipation.

AcridMeat

Banned
Jealous of your new bass shorty. I want to learn it bad.
If by "sexy" you mean "does she have an awesome moustache", then yes.
Depending on the location of that mustache that won't be a problem.
Depending on what radiohead tracks, that could be a good playlist.
I forgot to save it so I can't check. It wasn't any of their big ones, more electronic elements I think. Don't remember off the top of my head.
Good man! I'm terrified of having a kid, and don't plan on it any time soon. However if I did, I've got a picture framed I'd put above their crib and plan on putting them to sleep to Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin.

I won't force them on what to listen to when they come of age, but they will be exposed for years before that. Best thing my dad did for me with his taste.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This time next week she'll be here!

crazy-dance.gif

NinjaBoiX

I'd love my daughter to get into music but don't want to scare her off! It's all Bjork, Yo La Tengo and Boards of Canada for her bath time :)
Nice mate, chilled smooth grooves, just the ticket. She be all:

TsTvxgd.jpg

This time next week she'll be here!
Awesome big fella, tell the lady BritGAF is excite! Hope it all goes smoothly mate, keep us posted.
You need to move quickly to get her an OLED.
Hand me down innit.

Begrudgingly I'd expect!

It's great, one of the few songs I can play on the piano (even though I have no idea what time signature it's in) and certainly up there, but it's not right.

Phil Selway's been quoted as saying it has no time signature! And he's kinda right, but as this page that I've somehow managed to dredge up from my memory (no longer hosted, but I found it!) explains that, while it does technically have a time signature of 4/4, it's silly to think of it in those terms and more useful to break it into sixteenths and groups of 3-3-4-3-3 (apparently, it's beyond me really).

On a different topic, I've caught up with Adventure Time. Ice King's backstory = :-O

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm going to lay down some truth on Radiohead soon but right now just a PSA for Ps4 BritGAF folks - make sure that when you save a game you save to every available slot, disable auto upload of saves, and manually upload your saves to ps+ regularly.

I just got the dreaded save data bug and my Tomb Raider save corrupted (it works but for some reason all challenges that I've completed are now shown as 0%). Judging by the internets I got off quite lightly, but still mighty annoying as I really wanted to 100% it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Phil Selway's been quoted as saying it has no time signature! And he's kinda right, but as this page that I've somehow managed to dredge up from my memory (no longer hosted, but I found it!) explains that, while it does technically have a time signature of 4/4, it's silly to think of it in those terms and more useful to break it into sixteenths and groups of 3-3-4-3-3 (apparently, it's beyond me really).

Nice find. Thanks for this!

I'm going to lay down some truth on Radiohead soon

Preach it, sister!

AcridMeat

Banned
"When I am king, you will be first against the wall,
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all,"

Eat some mint jim:

Radiohead - Idioteque
Best. Radiohead song. Ever.

I fucking love you three. Sort of funny, I have a modeselektor album that has a "mix" of this song. It doesn't do much of anything but slow it down and play with the vocal sample a bit. A while back, I forgot which version was on Kid A, and thought that the original was actually the Modeselektor mix. I even went so far as to tell some people "I like the Modeselektor remix more because it's more fast paced and frantic."

Felt like a big dumb idiot when I went back to check haha.

Black Swan was the song that got me to rethink my displeasure of Radiohead/Thom Yorke
Subterranean Homesick Alien was the first song that sucked me into them.
Idioteque is when they became one of my favorites.

Anyone listen to Kylesa? If you're in the mood for some hard rock and a kick in the pants they certainly provide it.

Rich!

I've just realised I'm at this turkish girls house, drunk, high on coke, and wearing nothing at all whilst she's asleep and game of thrones is on TV on the menu screen

Hi gaf

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I've just realised I'm at this turkish girls house, drunk, high on coke, and wearing nothing at all whilst she's asleep and game of thrones is on TV on the menu screen

Hi gaf

'Sup Rich.

Rewatching ET on BD, I'm reminded about how much of an experience it was seeing the movie on network TV during my childhood. Like Elliott's first encounter with ET, to his death and resurrection. It was just burnt in ever time I saw that movie.

And just so you know, if you ever do want to pick it up on BD, it's the version with the guns in them. No walkie-talkies at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom