• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

After reading that you guys sound to be ideal parents at this point in time. Best wishes to you and Mrs, it's still unimaginable to me at this stage in life. Happy for you man!
Eh, I dunno about that. We'll give it a good crack though.

As for 'the right time', well, it feels like it happened really quickly. It's only been a couple of years since I was high as a mofo every night, and me and Mrs S could be found wandering the centre of Notts utterly shitfaced every Friday and Saturday night. We could still do that tonight quite happily, but somehow something changed. It just happened. Don't try and prepare for the unexpected is the lesson I learned.

Thanks for the good wishes. It's nice to know that people want to see you do ok. One thing I've learned from having a pregnant wife is that most strangers feel the need to tell you your life is fucked. It can wear you down if you're not careful.

Hope it all goes well for you and your wife, Smoky.
Cheers :)

I'll no doubt end up intermittently live-blogging much of the next few days so stay tuned for nothing of interest whatsoever!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Right now? It's not that all that scary, because she ain't here yet. I get the occasional wave of terror wash over me when I realise that she's going to be entirely under my care (and Mrs S', obviously), but generally I'm just excited. Those occasional waves of terror chill me to the bone though. We need to keep a helpless human alive at all costs.

Once she's here, I expect the gravity of the situation to truly hit me. I now have to live for someone else, 24 hours a day. I can't assume that she'll take care of anything, because she can't. Everything is going to change, and many factors are outside of my control. I can almost physically feel the weight of responsibility increasing.

What if I lost my job? What if I was hit by a car? Will my smoking come back and bite me with lung cancer at 45? What values do I teach her? When do I teach them? How do I adapt to the life of a modern kid when I did my developing before the internet existed? How do I steer her away from the mistakes I made without being a massive hypocrite?

I know, deep down, that it'll all be fine. I'm going to be a good dad, and Mrs Smoky is exactly who I'd create if you asked me to make the ideal mother. We're not rich, but we're certainly comfortable. Much better off than our parents were. We have good families that we can rely on, with many close siblings that have kids of their own. We live a good and happy life and we're in an environment that our baby should be happy to grow up in. We've both seen and done some shit, so we know what's up. Ultimately, on paper, we should rock this. That does bring me a measure of confidence and calm that keeps me from freaking out.

To be honest, I'll be in a much better position to answer the question in a month (assuming I can stay awake long enough to type). Right now, all I can think about is the labour. We only have two days until Mrs S is taken into hospital and put through the most important experience of her life. Much as the baby is all-consuming, it's Mrs S that has my thoughts right now. I wish I could take her place because I'd much rather that than helplessly observing.

I tell you something though. We had a 4D scan about a week ago, and it's quite clear that my daughter shares my features. Recognising that little face on the monitor was the most surreal elation I've ever felt. I know that once she arrives, all my doubts and fears won't mean a thing in the face of my determination to do right by her, whatever it takes.

What if she grows up and thinks the Vita was 'just ok'?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Burlap sack.

River Trent.

In all seriosity, it's nice reading your posts about fatherhood. It sounds like you're gonna do not just fine, but do really really well. Proper grown up good luck and best wishes.

Now please can you go back to gaming side and lay down some Vita and Knack justice? Knack's still doing well in Japan, you know! :)

AcridMeat

Banned
Eh, I dunno about that. We'll give it a good crack though.

As for 'the right time', well, it feels like it happened really quickly. It's only been a couple of years since I was high as a mofo every night, and me and Mrs S could be found wandering the centre of Notts utterly shitfaced every Friday and Saturday night. We could still do that tonight quite happily, but somehow something changed. It just happened. Don't try and prepare for the unexpected is the lesson I learned.

Thanks for the good wishes. It's nice to know that people want to see you do ok. One thing I've learned from having a pregnant wife is that most strangers feel the need to tell you your life is fucked. It can wear you down if you're not careful.

Cheers :)

I'll no doubt end up intermittently live-blogging much of the next few days so stay tuned for nothing of interest whatsoever!
I meant more in the mindset and as you said you're in a nice area with a lot of available friends to help. You'll do good Dave.

Make sure it's an OLED and she'll have to love it.

I'm about to get on an aeroplane with FREE WIFI! I'm going to test and see how badly I lag the fuck out playing Killzone Mercs. But man, this is the future, now!

Blink Me

Can I join the I hate Morrisey bandwagon as well? Although I don't like Radiohead, Coldplay or Oasis either so I'm not sure whether this will get me blacklisted from BritGaf.

So I started watching Breaking Bad last night, one episode turned into three! This show doesn't mess around!

I reckon I'm going to end up marathoning S1 by Monday!

SmokyDave

In all seriosity, it's nice reading your posts about fatherhood. It sounds like you're gonna do not just fine, but do really really well. Proper grown up good luck and best wishes.

Now please can you go back to gaming side and lay down some Vita and Knack justice? Knack's still doing well in Japan, you know! :)
Thank you very much!

Vita doesn't need me this year, she's blooming all on her own ;)

I meant more in the mindset and as you said you're in a nice area with a lot of available friends to help. You'll do good Dave.

Make sure it's an OLED and she'll have to love it.
Well me and her mum have OLED Vitas, so it would only be fair. She can join us in Terraria.

Thanks for the best wishes y'all. I'll update over the next few days :)

jimbor

Banned
So fucking bored. Have been up since six this morning as gf had to work. Tidied my room, put on some washing, currently downloading tomb Raider on the PS3 and am procrastinating instead of revising/studying. Also coming down with something, seems suspiciously like bad Aids.

Have a free weekend (and money!) for once and nobody seems to be doing anything. Meh.

Chinner

Banned
smokey you should be on of those parents who makes a facebook for their child and posts in it while pretending to be the babby

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So fucking bored. Have been up since six this morning as gf had to work. Tidied my room, put on some washing, currently downloading tomb Raider on the PS3 and am procrastinating instead of revising/studying. Also coming down with something, seems suspiciously like bad Aids.

Have a free weekend (and money!) for once and nobody seems to be doing anything. Meh.

Me too, started it at 1am and it's at 98% right now. Come onnnnnn. And Brothers as well. PS Plus is amazing (THANKS MIKE lol)

jimbor

Banned
Me too, started it at 1am and it's at 98% right now. Come onnnnnn. And Brothers as well. PS Plus is amazing (THANKS MIKE lol)

Switched to wired, still yook a while. Just about to start playing before having a nap and heading out for the impromptu BritGaf mini meet in Angel.

Calling all cunts, BritGAF mini meet in Angel tonight at 7pm!

So far it's myself, jimbor and shorty.

aw shit

moral dilemma

A friend wants to meet up with me tonight and we were going to chat about his first week at a new job.

But I'd like to see a smaller version of the gang. Haven't seen Shorty since I went to my first meet in June last year...

jimbor

Banned
aw shit

moral dilemma

A friend wants to meet up with me tonight and we were going to chat about his first week at a new job.

But I'd like to see a smaller version of the gang. Haven't seen Shorty since I went to my first meet in June last year...
You know what to do...

8bit

Knows the Score

You'll be fine! Your life is anything but fucked, it's going to be quite different but it's going to be great. Wishing you and smokymissus a short labour.

SmokyDave

Alright, I've caved and reinstalled Whatsapp. How do I get hooked up with the BritGAF cats?

You'll be fine! Your life is anything but fucked, it's going to be quite different but it's going to be great. Wishing you and smokymissus a short labour.
Cheers man :)

NinjaBoiX

Have a fun mini-meet guys! I'd love to be there, but I'll see most of you in a few weeks.

I've done the honours David.

Edit: Jordan is a conscientious admin, no messin'. :p

Anyone who wants to come to the mini meet:

Byron on upper street for 7pm, then Island Queen in Angel for a couple of beers after. It's not going to be a heavy night.

Mr. Sam

Wish I'd seen it in time - not doing anything tonight (not even masturbating). Guess I'll go, I dunno, read a fucking book or something.

Rich!

'Sup Rich.

Rewatching ET on BD, I'm reminded about how much of an experience it was seeing the movie on network TV during my childhood. Like Elliott's first encounter with ET, to his death and resurrection. It was just burnt in ever time I saw that movie.

And just so you know, if you ever do want to pick it up on BD, it's the version with the guns in them. No walkie-talkies at all.

an interesting night?

very interesting night. we didn't even have sex, so I'm confused.

I think it was just too hot in there (heater was on all day) so we just stripped and collapsed

SKINNER!

Banned
Taking this moment to thank Zomg, jimbor and dapper for an evening of Byron burgers, drinks and amazing convos and banter. You guys and everyone on Britgaf always make me want to come back to London. Every freakin' time :p Hope dapper gets back safely.

P.S I still had no idea there was a dog at the table next to us in that pub.

Today has been fairly ultra cool.

Roll out of bed at 3pm after a night out, hear of a night out in london, head into town to pick up South Park: The Stick of Truth. Reschedule a meetup with a friend, have a drink in the sunshine, got on the train and had a great time, on my way back into Staines at 1am, stop in a pub to quench my thirst, meet an old friend, get more razzled, come home and start up South Park.

S'all good.

SteveWD40

JXP91yq.gif

is that a weird way of saying accumalator

Kind of. Accumulators, you predict the result (team to win, or draw). GG you need to pick games where both teams score. You still need all your results to come in to get paid though.

Four games on GG gives 9/1 at betfred, so it's a pretty decent shout. Plus you're still in with a chance right up to the end (Tranmere scored in like the 86min* yesterday for my last game to goalrush). Makes watching skysportsnews much more entertaining!

Edit: *actually it was an own goal by Stevenage in the 88th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom