• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie hosting a Q&A online regarding Halo 2...in TWO HOURS

GhaleonEB

It's over.

Question thread:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=686612

Answer thread:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=687877&postRepeater1-p=1

I'll post all Halo 2 specific questions and answers here.

Q: TRfeuer asks: uhmm....exactly how many guns will be usable in multiplayer?

A: We're not able to give a specific quantity for this, but if you do some research with all the coverage from the recent Beta, you'll see quite a few covered. (the latest reveals are things like the Covenant Carbine, the Covenant "Beam Rifle" (aka Cov Sniper Rifle), the Brute Shot, etc..)

Q: Sticky Fingaz asks - CAN I BLOCK THE PLASMA SWORD?

A: No, you can dodge it, but there's no block button. Quick horizontal dodging is essential. And you need to remember that they can dart at you vertically very quickly.

Q: ApoX asks: Is it still possible to do wacky stunts? Is it still a mind blowing game without Live?

A: Yes and Yes! Frankie himself has already launched Warthogs way over the sea wall in Zanzibar and we've had fun blowing ghosts through the wheel. With explosives and a little creativity, let the good times roll. While there are a lot of new features designed for Xbox Live, rest assured that the team has spent a lot of time ensuring that Splitscreen and System Link games are better than ever. With up to 16 players on a system link, LAN parties will now be taken to whole new levels.

Q: akba asks: Will the shade be featured in multiplayer for the covenant? I've never heard or seen anything about it in awhile, so I was just wondering if it's been dropped.

A: A covenant turret does still exist and yes, it is able to be used in multiplayer. Turret type can be configured via the variant customization settings, which have now have a lot more options compared to Halo 1.

Q: Smoke Dog 4 Ever asks: Will there be more than the Ghost in terms of flying vehicles?

A: Nope, just the Banshee. The other flying vehicles are humongous and would basically carpet bomb the whole map at once. Which would be fun, we admit. But a little unfair.

Q: doesitmatterno asks: Will there be the old version of the assault rifle in Halo 2?

A: No, the assault rifle as it was known in Halo 1 will not be back in Halo 2. For high rate of fire shenanigans, the SMG is now the go-to gun. The Battle Rifle also rocks and is better suited for longer ranged opponents though the rate of fire is slower.

Q: Hammurderer asks: How exactly does the Gauss 'Hog work? It seems to me like it would be overpowered, at least in multiplayer.

Is the Wraith's -blam!-pit open like the Scorpion's, or closed like in Halo 1?

Can the Banshee fire it's weapons while it's boosting?

A: 1. The Guass Hog is indeed powerful, though it requires precise aiming and doesn't have much of a damage radius. The designers put a lot of testing time into making the game as balanced as possible so you won't see something like the pistol from Halo 1 this time around.
2. The Wraith has a closed -blam!-pit, like in Halo 1, but it can be boarded still.
3. The Banshee, like the Ghost, can not fire weapons while boosting. It's a trade off.

Q: mr2t159 asks: Will the Banshee in Halo 2 have a plasma mortar, like in the PC version?

A: Yes, it will. As a matter of fact I just pulled off a nice barrel-roll and plasma mortar bomb in Campaign mode.

Q: BadKarma asks: what's the word with the health system?

A: You've probably read this already in the flood of beta coverage that's come out recently but I can clarify a little bit... There is no health meter like in Halo 1. You now only have a shield meter. As you take damage your shield meter will deteriorate until it runs out, then it flashes for a few seconds and you can only take a little more damage before you die. If you retreat and take cover, your shield will fully recharge within a couple of seconds.

Q: MasterChief420 asks: 1) I know and understand (I think) the ranking system that Bungie is implementing, and I think its a good idea. However, will Halo2 still track indvidual stats, such as total kills/deaths, number of melee kills, or number of times I've been splattered under an enemy's 'Hog tires? Since Halo2 is using an 'experience point' kind of ranking system, tracking these kind of stats seperatly when playing with your buddies is possible, right?

A: The post game carnage report has been beefed up from Halo 1 and will feature a lot of new tidbits of information about the game you just played. On Bungie.net, we will be tracking a variety of player and clan stats, but the final details aren't locked yet. The good news is that we can continue to roll out new goodies on Bungie.net even after the game has been released.

Q: Battlecruiser asks: Can you import your own emblems for use on Halo 2?

A: No, because the first emblem imported would be either a swear or boobs, neither of which would make it past muster. He also asked if players could high-five each other. Which I will not dignifty with an answer.

Q: mrbuchanan117 asks: didn't u guys release a demo of halo 2 to the public?....It could understand not releasing a single player demo, but i thought u guys should have released a multiplayer demo.....

A: There are a number of reasons why we didn't release a public demo for Halo 2. Like Halo 1, it's possible one will come out sometime after the game is released. Creating a fully self sustained polished demo takes a lot of work and is a big distraction from working on the core game itself. It would have been a big drain on our resources to split off and focus on a demo and frankly, it's not really necessary.

Q: Spartan287 asks: will old multiplayer maps like blood gulch still be in the game?

A: We're not ready to commit to the full scope of the maps but the team has heard everyone's wishes and requests for some of the old favorites so who knows, it's definitely possible.

Q: LooseShooter asks: Can you use all vehicles on all levels?

A: No, like Halo, you can only use vehicles on levels to which they are suited. You cannot for example, use a Tank in Lockout. On levels where vehicles are enabled you will be able to customize them with any vehicles that we've tested to work well on that map. Just like Halo.

Q: Rcop asks: how much better is the shield on mark VI than on mark five?

A: The Chief's new Mark VI armor kicks ass. The biggest difference in the armor is the new faster recharge rate on the VI... plus it just looks cooler.

Q: Juicy Poot asks: Is there going to be a way in multiplayer to choose which weapons u can have in the game, like lets say i just wanted to take the rocket launcher out and leave the others in. Is that possible..... And is there a way to take the goodies out like the overshield and camo. If not there definetely should be a way to take those out for your own gametypes.

A: The different settings available to be customized in multiplayer games is greatly expanded over the options in Halo 1. You will have control over various starting primary and secondary weapons and various weapon sets. And you can also choose whether or not to have power-ups in your game.

Q: Vmax asks: Will Bungie staff be playing on Live?

A: Yes, as a matter of fact, Sketch and I both plan on pwning people for about a week or so while we have the advantage of knowing what the heck is going on. After that, we'll be doing some public events, secret enkillenating sessions and maybe even tournaments.

Q: AtlasGod asks: How does the targeting on the Wraith plasma mortar work

A: Think of it like launching a grenade - you practice until you can shoot three point plasma shots accross the map. There is an arc indicator on the reticule, but you'll eventually learn to shoot instinctively.

Q: RCOP asks: Who does the MC voice in halo 2 and can i see the person's picture

A: The same voice actor from Halo 1, Steve Downes, is back again as Master Chief. And no, you can't see him.

Q: Spartan 42 asks: Will there be a map editor on the bonus DVD?

A: Nope. As a matter of fact the bonus DVD is a real-life DVD, NOT an Xbox game disc. It contains documentaries, featurettes and galleries deadling with the making of Halo 2. And it's rad. There is no planned map editor for Halo 2. We will have downloadable content in future, however.

Q: Durandal217 asks: Now that you guys are so close to the wire, what are the things you guys are tweaking? Are damage values for weapons and all that basically set in stone? Are there any features in danger of being cut?

A: The end is in sight, but fine tuning and balancing will continue up until the last possible minute. The guys here are total perfectionists and will literally use every last second to make the game as good as it can be. Right now a lot of bug fixing and testing is commencing - people are playing the game with a magnifying glass looking for the occasional weird texture or unproperly lit corner of a room.

Q: Halodude12344 asks: Ok...Will there be downloadable content? If so, how much?

A: YES. Halo 2 will take advantage of Xbox Live's downloadable content functionality. Exactly when and how much hasn't been finalized yet. There will be enough there on day one to keep everyone happy for a while. I'm sure we'll have more to say about this in the months ahead, stay tuned.

Q: TriGun TTR asks: How many guests can I have on my machine on Xbox Live?

A: You may have three other players, using split screen on Xbox Live at this time. The game is of course still under development, but yep. Three guests, plus you.

Q: The Twist asks: When is Bungie going to do a sequel to ONI or Marathon?

A: Actually, ONI belongs to Take 2 Interactive now, Marathon we can't rule out completely, but there are no plans at this time.

Q: pckl300 asks: Why does the Halo 2 earpiece/headset cost about $50?!?

A: I have no idea. The Halo 2 cutom earpiece/headset is made by Plantronics. We don't have anything to do with it. I can say that it's a super high quality headset like what you would find at a high volume call center. I can only assume that such a high quality comes at a higer price. For what it's worth, it is comfy and has better pick up and sound than the generic Live headset.

A: Clefton Twain asks: Since vehicles are able to be destroyed, will they respawn in multiplayer or are they gone forever?

A: Well, it depends. When you create a game, you can specify some vehicle respawn times and options in the game variant settings (similar to Halo PC).

Q: RCOP asks: Will the grunts still be cowardly and scream hysterical lines?

A: Yep, those lovable Grunts are as funny and cowardly as ever, though some have learned a few new tricks since the last encounter.

[Q: Halo2UMan asks: Can I just tool around in multiplayer maps on my own?

A: Sure, you can do it two ways: Start a System Link game and never fear any intrusion (unless a burglar is upstairs and plugged into your LAN) or start a Live game on your own.[//b]

Q: Ringer asks: Nades - Capacity, still 4 conventional and 4 Covenant?

A: Yup.

Q: empy asks: Are there enemies, guns and Veahicles that havnt been shown in any demos, magazines and websites interviews etc. Basicly are there more secrets :)?

A: Yes.

Q: Metaphyber asks: Can you dual-wield a wepaon and a flag?

A: Nope. You can't. Then it would play more like Team Slayer than CTF. There has to be a balance. Plus, that flag is heavy.

GhaleonEB

Hopefully they'll be forthcoming with actual information, not tons of deflections. It could be the most informative update yet. Or not.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
meh, sounds pointless, seems like we pretty much know everything there is to know about multiplayer already.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
18 pages already and the shit hasnt even started... anyways, heres mine

my question portains to the screens released at the start of e3 2k4. in the zanzibar batch, there was a screen of the master chief and a few ODSTs. was this shot posed just for a nice screen, or will multiplayerfeature the ODSTs in some fashion?

thanks for wading through all these posts to answer mine :D

border

Sounds cool, but I'm really just sick of hearing about multiplayer, and there isn't much else to talk about.

Can someone link me to the Q&A thread on Bungie's site?

And is there anyway I can get rid of that obnoxious navigation bar that obscures part of the page?

Joe

is it still possible to do wacky stunts?

Yes! Frankie himself has already launched Warthogs way over the sea wall in Zanzibar and we've had fun blowing ghosts through the wheel. With explosives and a little creativity, let the good times roll.

sweet.

Joe

akba asks: Will the shade be featured in multiplayer for the covenant? I've never heard or seen anything about it in awhile, so I was just wondering if it's been dropped.

A covenant turret does still exist and yes, it is able to be used in multiplayer. Turret type can be configured via the variant customization settings, which have now have a lot more options compared to Halo 1.
customization right down to turret types...wow.

Smoke Dog 4 Ever asks: Will there be more than the Ghost in terms of flying vehicles?

Nope, just the Banshee. The other flying vehicles are humongous and would basically carpet bomb the whole map at once. Which would be fun, we admit. But a little unfair.
:O

Hammurderer asks: How exactly does the Gauss 'Hog work? It seems to me like it would be overpowered, at least in multiplayer.

Is the Wraith's -blam!-pit open like the Scorpion's, or closed like in Halo 1?

Can the Banshee fire it's weapons while it's boosting?

1. The Guass Hog is indeed powerful, though it requires precise aiming and doesn't have much of a damage radius. The designers put a lot of testing time into making the game as balanced as possible so you won't see something like the pistol from Halo 1 this time around.

2. The Wraith has a closed -blam!-pit, like in Halo 1, but it can be boarded still.

3. The Banshee, like the Ghost, can not fire weapons while boosting. It's a trade off.

op_ivy

Smoke Dog 4 Ever asks: Will there be more than the Ghost in terms of flying vehicles?

Nope, just the Banshee. The other flying vehicles are humongous and would basically carpet bomb the whole map at once. Which would be fun, we admit. But a little unfair.

:(

Sai

Why in God's name didn't they lock the thread? I don't want to sift through the community's bullshit.

border

Wow, the horribly bad planning of this event is made even worse by the rampant stupidity of the Bungie forumgoers and incompetence of the moderation staff.....page 2 and it's already a clusterfuck.

I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to force people to post questions in one forum and then look for the answers in another one.

well, page 2 and the question i really want to ask is already there by a few people..

i NEED to know how the health system works...

i WISH i could change my view setting on there to have more posts per page

Drexon

Banned
drool.jpg

op_ivy

you can make the nav bar at the bottom smaller by hitting the arrow on the left... still too large though...

and hey, looks as if the spam and shit is slowing down in this (b.net) thread....

SyNapSe

Bungie's site fucking blows. I can't scroll with my wheelmouse either. Probably due to Firefox being used.

Also, this is sucking so far. People are saying they can't lock the topic, wtf. Are they mods or not? Oh well.. maybe we'll get some cool info.

border

Ugggh, now they're answering questions that we already know the answers to =\

They addressed the health system, but did it in a way that's still pretty vague...

op_ivy

border said:

They addressed the health system, but did it in a way that's still pretty vague...

how was it vague? what dont you still understand?

Joe

Battlecruiser asks: Can you import your own emblems for use on Halo 2?

No, because the first emblem imported would be either a swear or boobs, neither of which would make it past muster. He also asked if players could high-five each other. Which I will not dignifty with an answer.
ok, all together now...BOOOOO

op_ivy

EDIT: damn you joe, thats twice youve scooped me :)

no custom made ones then either it looks like :(

SyNapSe

border said:

No, crap. Screw the health thing.. you coudl obviously tell how it works currently from the multiplayer video's. Yet, there are still people posting crap like this...

No health meter? Only Sheild? that blows!

OMG, RAELLY!?! THATS A HUOGE SERPRIZE!!

Drexon

Banned
Ahahaha, a high-5 would've made the game buyable on its own.

Any1 seeing a future for multi-player only games in the future?

Joe

they are picking shitty questions, i really dont give a fuck if you like your job or not.

However, in a few weeks, we'll be all smiles. =)
i wonder if he meant a few weeks as in november 9th or what?

IJoel

Battlecruiser asks: Can you import your own emblems for use on Halo 2?

No, because the first emblem imported would be either a swear or boobs, neither of which would make it past muster. He also asked if players could high-five each other. Which I will not dignifty with an answer.

This is really bs. They should at least have some tool to try and make them distinctive. All the fucking clans will have the same shit. Well, there goes away an apparently kickass feature for fear of people using inappropriate icons. WE HAVE TO SHIELD THE PEOPLE PLAYING A MATURE GAME FROM SOME DRAWN STUPIDITY! HAR HAR HAR!

Bastards.

op_ivy

Spartan287 asks: will old multiplayer maps like blood gulch still be in the game?

We're not ready to commit to the full scope of the maps but the team has heard everyone's wishes and requests for some of the old favorites so who knows, it's definitely possible.

sounds like a "yes" for bloodgulch at least :) though thats been mentioned by people who have claimed to see internal builds

GhaleonEB

Spartan287 asks: will old multiplayer maps like blood gulch still be in the game?

We're not ready to commit to the full scope of the maps but the team has heard everyone's wishes and requests for some of the old favorites so who knows, it's definitely possible.

Hmmm...DLC?

Joe

awesome! without a doubt i wanna see hang em high and sidewinder. ive always tried to imagine what sidewinder would look like with 16 player mayhem and it would be freakin awesome.

SyNapSe

Joe said:
they are picking shitty questions, i really dont give a fuck if you like your job or not.

i wonder if he meant a few weeks as in november 9th or what?

Well, the game will most likely need to go Gold, a couple weeks before the 9th, but yeah.. that's still ike 5-6 weeks out. We can only assume that's what he means.*

* I mean, OMG IT"S TEH SECRET DEMO!!!!11

Drexon

Banned
IJoel said:
This is really bs. They should at least have some tool to try and make them distinctive. All the fucking clans will have the same shit. Well, there goes away an apparently kickass feature for fear of people using inappropriate icons. WE HAVE TO SHIELD THE PEOPLE PLAYING A MATURE GAME FROM SOME DRAWN STUPIDITY! HAR HAR HAR!

Bastards.
There's probably 53456^24 different main emblems, as many backgrounds and as many frames and shapes, and color costumability, so.

GhaleonEB

Juicy Poot asks: Is there going to be a way in multiplayer to choose which weapons u can have in the game, like lets say i just wanted to take the rocket launcher out and leave the others in. Is that possible..... And is there a way to take the goodies out like the overshield and camo. If not there definetely should be a way to take those out for your own gametypes.

The different settings available to be customized in multiplayer games is greatly expanded over the options in Halo 1. You will have control over various starting primary and secondary weapons and various weapon sets. And you can also choose whether or not to have power-ups in your game.

Woooooo!

Top Bottom