• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Played the campaign for 30 minutes, and can't take it anymore.

Ever since Black Ops, this series has gone from being a cool and immersive experience, to being a self-important and forced spectacle. There's no gameplay, no real immersion and no grace to the game-design; it's all scripted first-person cutscenes interspliced with aiming, shooting and "Press X to complete objective".

Much like in BF3 where you would constantly think "This could've been done so much better if done with real gameplay and recognizable game-rules", well this game continues that tradition.

And also, MP, it's laggy as hell, just fucking pure luck where everyone but you have one-shot kill weapons that on kill-cams are five-shot-kill weapons.

Just pure bullshit.

Riggs

Banned
Played the campaign for 30 minutes, and can't take it anymore.

Ever since Black Ops, this series has gone from being a cool and immersive experience, to being a self-important and forced spectacle. There's no gameplay, no real immersion and no grace to the game-design; it's all scripted first-person cutscenes interspliced with aiming, shooting and "Press X to complete objective".

Much like in BF3 where you would constantly think "This could've been done so much better if done with real gameplay and recognizable game-rules", well this game continues that tradition.

And also, MP, it's laggy as hell, just fucking pure luck where everyone but you have one-shot kill weapons that on kill-cams are five-shot-kill weapons.

Just pure bullshit.

Sounds like you are enjoying it quite well.

mxgt

Banned
I'm having a hard time making it through the campaign, it's so fucking bad. I wasn't expecting anything more than the super linear 'follow this dude 90% of the time', but it sucks that we still get this.

Oh well, I bought it for the MP anyway.

jns

I love steam, but hate how fucking long it takes shit to unlock! Its 8am, I've done a 12 hour shift, just let me hip-fire and no-scope fools in 1440p before I have a sleep ffs....

[edit] seems it's actually downloading an update, not unlocking ...

What do you think 2025 will be like? I can't picture it being that much different from now in terms of weapons and such. As someone who has actually been in the military we still use old shit lol

While they definitely got some things right on the money, a lot of the shit in the campaign is fucking ludicrous for only a mear 13 years away.

Anyone who works in the aviation industry will cry extreme foul at
Mission where you fly the F/A-38

Does Best Buy make you wait in some smelly line for their midnight release?

The guy at the counter said you can come early and get your copy but he was sketch with the details.

Sounds like you are enjoying it quite well.

I wish I could. MW3, despite having the same issues, still had you because of it being a continuing story from a game that actually had a good campaign. Not to mention its MP was actually fun the first couple of weeks, which was when the lag was just you "Being out of touch".

Now it's calculated and so lacking of passion. This is the first year when Activision just seemed to outright say "Whatever, you'll still buy it, fuck off".

Will probably like the MP more as time goes by, but so-far every change regarding gameplay and design have me gone "That's unnecessary"

Riggs

Banned
I wish I could. MW3, despite having the same issues, still had you because of it being a continuing story from a game that actually had a good campaign. Not to mention its MP was actually fun the first couple of weeks, which was when the lag was just you "Being out of touch".

Now it's calculated and so lacking of passion. This is the first year when Activision just seemed to outright say "Whatever, you'll still buy it, fuck off".

Will probably like the MP m
ore as time goes by, but so-far every change regarding gameplay and design have me gone "That's unnecessary"

Lol you are making me wish I never pre ordered this, seriously.

Maybe I ll just go down to gamestop and have them put my full pre order payment on AC3 instead. I wasn't even hyped about this game , was just buying because I have nothing better to do and all my friends get it.

Desaan

Whatever you do leave Arya alone.

786683a08b05e3cd42013fccf4f764840434d6a8.png

Lol you are making me wish I never pre ordered this, seriously.

Maybe I ll just go down to gamestop and have them put my full pre order payment on AC3 instead. I wasn't even hyped about this game , was just buying because I have nothing better to do and all my friends get it.

I'm pretty much the same, actually took the week off to grind the MP with my clan-mates, but none of us seems to be able to muster up some excitement.

What's so sad is that we played MW2 yesterday, and it was so damn fun.

Maybe I'm overly harsh towards the campaign because I want to be a game-designer and therefore can't really enjoy anything without over thinking how it could've been done better, much like how the most extreme film-buffs can't enjoy stupid action-movies.

sephi22

I wonder if it's still not on PS3 this time.
What? I play on PS3.

EDIT: I don't know what it is. This is my first CoD and I'm enjoying it a lot. I love the multiplayer. I love the emblem editing, the 10-point limit gear system, unlock tokens and killstreaks. Even being a newbie, I've had matches where I went 30-7 and used a variety of scorestreaks.

I like the MP a lot. I only played 10 minutes of zombies and dug that too. I've finished only the first SP mission but I liked the music that played during it and thought that the visuals and the framerate was pretty good.

But all these naysayers are making me feel guilty for enjoying this game. Usually I do my research before buying a game and buy only those games that garner a lot of praise, but I jumped on this game because all my friends who play UMvC3 are going to play it. I dunno I think its a good game.

Riggs

Banned
I'm pretty much the same, actually took the week off to grind the MP with my clan-mates, but none of us seems to be able to muster up some excitement.

Maybe I'm overly harsh towards the campaign because I want to be a game-designer and therefore can't really enjoy anything without over thinking how it could've been done better, much like how the most extreme film-buffs can't enjoy stupid action-movies.

Ya, I don't expect anything from this campaign. But if the MP isn't fun then I would rather just get AC3.

Damn you took a week off work? I just took a day off......I am also seeing Bond tomorrow too though.

MrDaravon

What? I play on PS3.

EDIT: I don't know what it is. This is my first CoD and I'm enjoying it a lot. I love the multiplayer. I love the emblem editing, the 10-point limit gear system, unlock tokens and killstreaks. Even being a newbie, I've had matches where I went 30-7 and used a variety of scorestreaks.

I like the MP a lot. I only played 10 minutes of zombies and dug that too. I've finished only the first SP mission but I liked the music that played during it and thought that the visuals and the framerate was pretty good.

But all these naysayers are making me feel guilty for enjoying this game. Usually I do my research before buying a game and buy only those games that garner a lot of praise, but I jumped on this game because all my friends who play UMvC3 are going to play it. I dunno I think its a good game.

If you like it, you like it. As someone who enjoys games that I know are disliked from time to time, who cares? Your perspective as someone who has never played them is probably very different from most people. The first CoD I played was MW2 and I felt the same way.

What? I play on PS3.

CoD games are always fun at the beginning. Then the shoddy hit detection, the lag, the overpowered and abused perks and weapons start eating away at your sanity. You try to put it in the back of your mind, but you can't...it gnaws at your conscience. Then you break the disc and wait for next year.

I actually don't care if it looks blurrier on ps3

I just need to know the performance online. does it run better than BO1? is the hit detection 90% of what MW2 was?

then yea i don't care about the blur.

sephi22

CoD games are always fun at the beginning. Then the shoddy hit detection, the lag, the overpowered and abused perks and weapons start eating away at your sanity. You try to put it in the back of your mind, but you can't...it gnaws at your conscience. Then you break the disc and wait for next year.
Okay, but it seems like most of these people are writing this off as a terrible game without even putting much time into it.
I'm not a CoD defender by any means. I actively tried to avoid buying the games for years putting them off as mindless dudebro shooters. But Transformers:FoC and AC3 MP gave me an itch that needed scratching

What? I play on PS3.

I don't think the impressions are so bad, very few people here have it early here which is surprising but the impressions are just mixed, that and Maximillion on YT who seems to love it.
I don't know, I never thought MW3 was fun.

ohlawd

MW3 broke that cycle for me. I knew something was wrong when I didn't have fun in my 1st game.

What? I play on PS3.

welcome to COD, this is what it's like. People bitch for a long time, then a month or 2 in it will be mostly talk about the game rather than bitching. Might take longer. Just enjoy.

Damn you took a week off work? I just took a day off......I am also seeing Bond tomorrow too though.

Well I took a week off last week too for Halo 4, although they did call me today and asked if I could work this thursday, so I'm pretty sure my week off will only be a day or too after they've realized how understaffed they are at the moment.

What? I play on PS3.

EDIT: I don't know what it is. This is my first CoD and I'm enjoying it a lot. I love the multiplayer. I love the emblem editing, the 10-point limit gear system, unlock tokens and killstreaks. Even being a newbie, I've had matches where I went 30-7 and used a variety of scorestreaks. .

What internet connection do you got? Good or bad router?

jesus no. It's amazing that while every other gun in the game has been getting weaker, sniper rifles have been getting stronger since MW2. You now got sniper rifles that kill with a belly shot and are more accurate than ever, it makes no sense. There was some subtle things that kept MW2 sniper rifles from being this deadly, such as rifles having alot of scope waver, only being a 1 shot to the chest and above, and having scope in accuracy not be totally accurate ( your scope wouldn't rest at the center of the screen when you pulled it up most times ) and every one of those things have been changed for the worse.

aku:jiki

jesus no. It's amazing that while every other gun in the game has been getting weaker, sniper rifles have been getting stronger since MW2. You now got sniper rifles that kill with a belly shot and are more accurate than ever, it makes no sense. There was some subtle things that kept MW2 sniper rifles from being this deadly, such as rifles having alot of scope waver, only being a 1 shot to the chest and above, and having scope in accuracy not be totally accurate ( your scope wouldn't rest at the center of the screen when you pulled it up most times ) and every one of those things have been changed for the worse.
What? None of that is true except for the chest and up thing, and I see no proof that's changed in BO2.

Top Bottom