• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts |OT| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9GBR3B0LE

alterno69

Banned
Man is the game blurry on the PS3 lol, can't be too mad cause in a couple of weeks i'm moving on to PS4 but it's blops II all over again.

please tell me you're joking.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/209160/discussions/0/666824801165569776/

Warning to everyone that has preloaded! READ THIS BEFORE PLAY!
So as myself and many others have found out,. as soon as you click the play button (on the single player), it will update the single player, begin updating the MP and then wipes all data and makes you redownload 20gigs all over again.

INSTALL THE MP FIRST. once the game is unlocked in your region and you are able to play, install the MP before the SP. This SHOULD negate the need to do the following,. but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Locate the folder called depotcache in your steam directory.

Copy it to somewhere else on your computer.

Restart steam, and try to install. If it works,. then great, no need to keep the files. If it decided to delete your preload and starts downloading again, just copy the files back into that folder and try again. (if it doesnt work, delete local files and then copy back over)

Disclaimer: i never had the opportunity to try this myself,. but it seems tobe hit and miss. However installing the MP first seems to work a treat.

UPDATE: Thanks to HarBinGer

"there is a way around this problem, you need the backup of the preload. what happens is if by chance Ghots SP is selected to install, it does it in a way that preload files are screwed up so MP cannot use it to install so it starts downloading it again. This problem won't happen if you select to install the MP first and then the SP.

Warning you need to have the preload backup before you do anything on the install part, once if the install is started with SP as first, the preload files are screwed up and can't be used again. So before installing MP/SP, have a backup of the preload files."

*****Side note,. I've already written a complaint to Steam about this under "Installation issues", feel free to do the same. This can't be allowed ot happen again************

vilmer_

Man is the game blurry on the PS3 lol, can't be too mad cause in a couple of weeks i'm moving on to PS4 but it's blops II all over again.

Sure is :/ I'm having a blast in multi though, the maps this time around are pretty huge and varied from what I've seen so far. No crashing or anything else ala BF4 just smooth sailing.

MrDaravon

I definitely disagree with some of Max's points, but 100% agree on the lack of Ground War and some of the maps being too big for 6v6. In his videos and others the maps are waaaaaay to big for 12 players, I'm literally watching people move for over a minute without seeing anyone from either team, it's absurd. People applauding there being more big maps is fine (and I don't have a problem with big maps), but it's completely artificial if those exact same maps are going to have 6 more people on them on next-gen versions. This isn't a design choice, it's a technical one.

Wow. Blitz is like a game mode made just for campers.

I had held out some small inkling of hope that it could be a cool idea that would lead to more team play, but it does exactly the opposite.

Shouldn't be surprised I guess...

Moofers

Had a few confusing games of Safeguard so far. Everybody just kind of ran around and didn't team up and got swarmed one by one. First game I joined, some asshole kid kept trying to teamkill me because I picked up a turret he must have wanted. It felt very "Welcome back to Call of Duty, Fucker!"

I see potential in Safeguard anyway. Going to have to learn the maps. I don't think I like the whole "grab a powerup to level your gun" thing because it artificially makes it more difficult since the availability of that powerup is random and the weapon drops are random as well. Its not like you can specialize in a certain gun and go in with your best equipment. At least, for now since everything is locked. Seems like I see a lot of other games try to imitate Gears 3's Horde mode, but nobody can seem to get it right.

Not wild about the "cross-mode" unlocks either. I don't want to play VS to unlock stuff for Squads. I'm content to just play the co-op modes and would like to disregard all the VS stuff completely so I encounter fewer mouth-breathers. Oh well.

Gotta get started on campaign so I can unlock Extinction too! Feels like there's a lot of content here for sure.

ultron87

Grabbing this from Redbox on the way home for my annual 4 dollar COD campaign playthrough. Will try out Multiplayer and if it gets my fancy might get it for PS4 later on.

pompidu

Ugh. I saw my buddy play on the 360 and it looks fine. This is disappointing, guess ill have to wait for ps4 to play this. blah.

Gorillaz

Came home and for the first time since World at War, I didn't see CoD show up on my friends list under what they were playing at launch.

Do you really have to download the multiplayer portion to play the single player on steam? Read someone last night that said you had to.

Sethos

Banned
Do you really have to download the multiplayer portion to play the single player on steam? Read someone last night that said you had to.

Not the full thing. I downloaded the SP portion and when I went to look in the MP lobby it prompted me for the last 7GB.

LowParry

The smaller maps are killer. I'm having a good time with my AK 12. The larger maps would be great for game types like ground war or domination. TDM or Kill Confirmed is just bleh.

The game download is insanely large on Steam, holy smokes (~50GB). I have not played a Call of Duty since 4, so I figured I would give this a go. Has the online for the past COD games on Steam been pretty active?

aku:jiki

All the things you are mad about seem like good things. Less funnels, bigger maps, toned down killstreaks
It's not about good or bad, it's about what you expect of the franchise. I mean, if those are the things you want, why are you even looking at a CoD game? BF has provided those with better graphics and netcode for like a decade now. CoD is about close quarters, crazy killstreaks and constant chaos.

I don't know if I can deal with this, it's just not fun being constantly killed because I only checked windows #1-54 and forgot to check the 55th god damned window that was overlooking my position. It's too fucking frustrating when compounded with the horrible netcode.

I agree. I find unless the person is moving, they are not visible. From further away any how..
That's not PS3 blur though; that's the enormously long sightlines, the 80 vantage points they can see you from and the otherwise extremely cluttered maps. I don't see the dude killing me like 75% of the time on 360 either.

After being initially disappointed by the maps I've found I at least like Tremor. Nice size with some vertical areas to keep you on your toes.

jadedm17

To those who are playing, how are the maps? I've watched a bunch of matches and thought they were all conducive to close encounter, CQC, meet the enemy around a blind corner bullshit. But then I was reading around the COD forums and saw this:

"Let's start with my favourite topic, and which I find is the most important in this game, the maps. Looking back at the maps in Black Ops 2, they were small, not many lines of sight, small maps caused a messed up spawn system, maps that only encouraged one style of play and maps that didn't really get you thinking tactically. It seems as if Ghosts has gone the complete opposite with their maps. Much larger, several long sight lines for snipers, plenty of buildings and cover for CQC and maps that encourage several styles of play. What has really impressed me is the fact that each and every player can use their favourite weapon type, and still have a positive benefit to the team, whether they are using an SMG or a Sniper Rifle. The maps get you thinking tactically. I find that I am much more aware in this game than I was in previous titles, of where I am running, and what cover I have around me, seeing that there are plenty more spots for snipers..."

Agree, disagree, what say you?

Sounds about right to me.
I love the maps.
Each one [I've played] seems set-up for close action around the perimeter, but huge lines of sight for snipers through the middle. My playstyle I prefer mid-range with assault rifles, best of both worlds kinda deal, and I'm enjoying using machine guns for close action. On the other hand, my buddy and I keep taking turns and he's loving the long field of view for sniping.
Seriously though, I love these maps. Also, Cranked (gametype) is really fun.

On another note to anyone reading, add me on XBL if you need another player.
eightyeightMPH

Kacar

Getting into a groove in MP. Been on fire these last hours.

I like it. Kill confirmed and TDM are clusterfucks on the small maps. Sovereign is the devil.

VariantX

Seems I wont be touching this on anything but a next gen console. I like large maps, but im not happy to hear that nonsense with all the overabundace of flanking routes are back form MW3. It just leads to getting shot in the back constantly, and the problem is made worse if the spawns are terrible.

jackdoe

I played a couple of matches on the PC and as of now, I can say that this multiplayer is awful. The narrow claustrophobic FOV in addition with the stuttering and nonsense spawn locations make this game a pain in the ass to play. I am getting my ass handed to me which is annoying since I have had no problems with any of the other CoD titles before. Also, is it just me or do you move like a snail compared to past titles?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Hm.. Thanks for posting.

I hated MW3 maps, so it's disappointing to hear about that.

But I did like BO2's maps, and it sounds like you didn't like that game.

Actually, everything about the game-design of BO2, from the perks, to killstreaks, to maps, I actually adore.

The issue with BO2, is every good decision they made on the game, is dwarfed and crushed by how horrible the connection is between players.

I've already expressed my opinion a lot on this thread, but for everyone else who's been playing COD since the first MW, this is my perspective.

COD GHOSTS...WORST MP EVER!? COD Ghosts Multiplayer Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23jjKbJI8no

Your video made me want to play this game. All that stuff sound like good changes to me.
Never been in love with all the random killstreak easy killing on COD games from MW2 onwards.
From your footage it looks like all the dead and kills come from gunplay, so it looks good to me.

Bigger maps sounds good too as it allows for all the gun classes to be a viable option unlike BO2 where SMG are king.

Thanks

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Your video made me want to play this game. All that stuff sound like good changes to me.
Never been in love with all the random killstreak easy killing on COD games from MW2 onwards.
From your footage it looks like all the dead and kills come from gunplay, so it looks good to me.

Bigger maps sounds good too as it allows for all the gun classes to be a viable option unlike BO2 where SMG are king.

Thanks

To each his own. In the end, I enjoy COD for being a fast paced arcade shooter. While Ghosts appears to be trying to appeal to the Battlefield market. And Battlefield has that shit on lock down.

J.W.Crazy

I'm not a huge fan of MP in general and I haven't played any in Ghosts yet so I can't comment on that but as far as SP goes it might be my favorite CoD campaign. There's a nice mix of gameplay without too much repetition. It's just as linear as ever but within each area there are some different approaches available. My biggest complaint is that it moves too fast but I'd rather that then too slow. The story is cheesy.

I played on PC and didn't have too many issues. 1 crash. It's not the best looking game but it's not the worst either.

Dubz

Wow....this game runs so bad on PC. I am having the worst stutters. Anybody have a fix for stuttering/micro stuttering? Also no ALT+TAB...wow.

pompidu

I'm sorry to invade this thread but how is the performance of black ops2 compared to ghosts for ps3? Debating between the two, and I don't want another black ops 1 ugliness.

Actually, everything about the game-design of BO2, from the perks, to killstreaks, to maps, I actually adore.

The issue with BO2, is every good decision they made on the game, is dwarfed and crushed by how horrible the connection is between players.

Oh. I played BO2 on Wii U. There are only like 10 people that own the game, so the connections weren't bad.

If you do keep playing though, please post your vids. They're really well done and informative.

I'm also one of those people that's sad they got rid of SnD.

Hmmm the PS3 does look blurry like Vaseline smear across the screen, ugh!

I read BOII had something similar but was patched. Hope ghosts can be patched as well, maybe fix the framerate issues too. Maybe rushed out the door?

Portugeezer

Thanks
This. So good.

Top Bottom