• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts |OT| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9GBR3B0LE

NYR

Could you post a bigger picture? The people on the International Space Station can't see it from my screen.

antitrop

You can automatically resize an image on Imgur by adding an 's', 'm', or 'l' to the end of the url, just before the period/extension. Ex: (jj3h5489Sf(s/m/l).jpg)

The More You Know

IISANDERII

lol OP only got unbanned to create the OP and then got re-banned?
Kinda reminds me of Russell Crowe's character in The Quick and the Dead where he's a prisoner but is brought out to perform in the duel tournament and then put right back in chains after his match has concluded.
Movie wasn't bad and had an all star cast with Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Leonardo Dicapricio, Gary Sinise, Lance Henrickson and Keith David. Need rewatch.

Ambient80

I'm playing it on the 360. I have been all day, actually. I flipped between Campaign, Squads, MP, and Extinction.

Honestly, I'm really liking it so far. Some of the weapons are a bit boring, but the maps are for the most part pretty great. I've had a bit of lag, but I imagine the servers are getting hammered like crazy. Extinction is really fun, but I wish there were more maps to go with it.

As far as performance goes, like I said there was a bit of lag earlier but nothing major. It doesn't look much different than BO2 as far as graphics goes, but I wasn't expecting current gen to see huge differences. I've yet to feel like I was dropping frames on any of the maps, or in SP. The space stuff in SP is really cool and very pretty, but unless there's more of it later in the campaign, it was rather short. I was left wanting a little more.

Anyway, that's the opinion of a more casual player. I can answer more questions if anyone wishes to ask.

Overheard at GameStop today while on my post-Halloween job hunt:

"Call of Duty sold out by introducing a fucking dog. They are catering to the Brony crowd."

The cashier then went "but dogs are used as bomb sniffers and assault units in actual war".

Then he and his cronies started going off on how if THEY were soldiers, they wouldn't need no fucking dogs.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
wtf is wrong with this game. im getting raped in every single games and i used to rape in every cod game before.

spawns suck
you cant tell enemies from the environment
radar sucks
it takes forever to rank up and find a gun you like.
lag
maps are huge for 6v6 (no 9v9) and multiple levels , its hard to do anything

i used to get 20-30 kills in bo2 easily, i cant even get 10 in the game

ultron87

The only map that seems too large to me is the Castle one.

I really like Prison Break, the outdoor green one with the tower and walls that starts with the teams five feet away from opposite sides of a hilltop.

antitrop

Overheard at GameStop today while on my post-Halloween job hunt:

"Call of Duty sold out by introducing a fucking dog. They are catering to the Brony crowd."

The cashier then went "but dogs are used as bomb sniffers and assault units in actual war".

Then he and his cronies started going off on how if THEY were soldiers, they wouldn't need no fucking dogs.
Maaaaan, I would have loved a bomb sniffing dog when I was over there. Then I could have just sat back and smoked a cigarette, instead of patrolling around with a mine detector when it's 115 degrees out.

Played 3 matches before I had to meet up with a friend.

Anyone else think the maps are too big? Each match ended due to time. I found myself running around looking for people to kill.

The castle map feels like an Arma map. It's seriously huge. I enjoy most of them though, I like the change of pace, nice not dying every 5 seconds. Should make spectating more fun as well. I think as the seasonal maps get released they will become smaller and smaller though.

eHynKCl.jpg

Got my copy in the mail today.

now i just need a system to play it lol

Spiffy! Wonder if they went with the same rounded edges as Wii U discs.

ultron87

Is there any way to try a gun out before you buy it in multiplayer? Since I could use these points on literally anything I don't just wanna piss them away.

Toa TAK

Banned
Has anyone played the single player? How is it? Interested being someone who usually buys the COD games for the SP.

It's more inspired than MW3, right?

Jarmel

Banned
wtf is wrong with this game. im getting raped in every single games and i used to rape in every cod game before.

spawns suck
radar sucks
lag

We shouldn't expect more from the shit IW team. That's my lesson from this.

These lying fucks said quick scoping was out and that they had dedicated servers.

Beepos

I must be the only one enjoying the game in multiplayer...

radar sucks

Those are slightly annoying I am finding as well. The radar placement isn't as good too imo.

On PC and have had butter performance so far.

My last COD was BLOPS so maybe that is it, but once I got use to the slow sprint I'm loving Ghost (especially the way killstreaks are working.)

Pain

Banned

spawns suck
radar sucks
lag

It's a new game...you need to learn the maps and get used to the game.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
few more things i dont like

leaning and sliding are pretty much worthless ( iw made a huge deal about it)
kill streaks suck (maybe because im a low level?)
kill cam hit marker is completely off ( just like every other cod game)
some maps are balanced for domination (2 flags are close to 1 team)

so frustrating ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Sigmaah

spawns suck
radar sucks
lag

Basically sums up this game up so far.

Honestly, WHY THE FUCK ARE THE ENEMIES BLENDING IN WITH THE ENVIRONMENT?!?! On Whiteout, I cannot tell where the enemies are because they blend in with everything around because everything is white and so is the enemy what the fuck. (Can also be due to my bad vision but wdf still.)

Spawn system blows, ppl spawn right where I am and kill me.

Maps are huge but they get rid of ground war?!?! WHAT THE FUCK.

HOW ARE THESE PEOPLE MAKING THESE DECISIONS?!?!

Don't they playtest these maps and, like everyone here is going, say 'Hey, all the players blend into the maps, making it really strange. Shouldn't we do something about that?'

I just don't get it...

ultron87

So lag and horrible spawns are just issues for those new to the game?
I haven't noticed either so far on Xbox. Shrug. I remember the spawns being way worse in MW3 which was the last MP I played a decent amount of. The big maps seem to make spawning on top of a dude less likely and slow things down a bit, which I like.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
few more things i dont like

leaning and sliding are pretty much worthless ( iw made a huge deal about it)
kill streaks suck (maybe because im a low level?)
kill cam hit marker is completely off ( just like every other cod game)
some maps are balanced for domination (2 flags are close to 1 team)

so frustrating ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Everything you said resonates with other reviews I have seen, other than leaning and sliding which I know some people use for that one portal game mode where you have to like dash and slide into enemy goal posts. Rev3 very specifically mentioned the domination balance problem.

Hurley

The big maps seem to make spawning on top of a dude less likely and slow things down a bit, which I like.

That's been the complete opposite for me.

Even on the big maps I'll spawn where an enemy is nearby, unless it's a game mode like domination then it isn't so bad, but TDM is a nightmare for spawns.

The biggest complaint I have though is the lag, getting insta-killed without even having a chance is annoying as hell. I've done the "fix" where you change the ping search from 800 to 150 in the mplayer config. Hope it helps, haven't tried it yet.

I haven't noticed either so far on Xbox. Shrug. I remember the spawns being way worse in MW3 which was the last MP I played a decent amount of. The big maps seem to make spawning on top of a dude less likely and slow things down a bit, which I like.

This right here.

VariantX

Considering the size of these maps, i'm clueless as to why 9 v 9 isn't the default player count. 6 v 6 just feels so empty like current gen battlefield maps from what I see on stream.

kazebyaka

Banned
I have no complaints about enemies blending with the environment. I think they are pretty easily recognizable, huh. Also, longer leveling is pretty much awesome.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
"After the events of Call of duty 4 where the nuke went off in a middle eastern country, captain price and Soap Mctavish were Oscar Mike and shot the Arab first name Russian Last name british accent bad guy. The stakes were raised in MW2 where there were multiple nukes so Soap with new recruit Roach had to race snowmobiles to escape from arab russians and break captain price out of castle greyskull. There you were attacked by the private military that defeated dr. doom earlier to take over the castle and turned into a prison island to hide prisoner 187 (aka captain price). Thankfully you rode off with price on a chopper while Nate Dogg and Eminem’s “When the roof comes off” plays and the castle blows up. But the world was at turmoil as Arab Russians invaded the US while this was going on. But Ramirez was Oscar Mike and saved burger town with predator missiles. Then more nukes came out of submarines in MW3, and now mutant dogs are taking down helicopters.

During all this in the alternate Black ops universe, you were in the bay of pigs invasion where offensively recreated John F kennedy with a fake boston accent gave you orders and castro (along with arabs and Russians) made you schizophrenic with mind chip numbers so you started seeing your imaginary Russian friend Reznov. But your crew of Ice cube and that guy from avatar took out Dragovich to stop the US invasion, But that wouldn’t have happened because Price would’ve stopped Menendez in the first place in the I-dub universe. So FUCK Treyarch and their shitty supernatural nonsense universe, go make zombies you weirdos."

I know that's a big block quote ... but t his is one of the most beautiful things i've ever read in official thread. not enough choco chip kudos to do it justice...

What fresh hell is this? I played for maybe 2 hours today and not once got killed by some bullshit ultra powerful killstreak. The only thing that has gotten me are those god damn dogs. I don't even need a launcher as my secondary, because there isn't some constant barrage of UAV/Counter UAV/Chopper/Pave Low/Care Package/Harrier/AC130/etc etc shitting on me every time I spawn. It's glorious. It's the most gun on gun CoD since WaW.

My only complaints so far:

1. Connections seem kinda shitty at times. These are dedicated servers? Yeah right.
2. Dogs.
3. Where the fuck is Demolition?
4. Spawns are awful but it is IW so its to be expected but wow, 2 hours of this and suddenly you realize Black Ops II must have had amazing spawns.

Bsigg12

The only game type I have played so far is safeguard. As long as you have people working together its a lot of fun otherwise you get your ass kicked in. At least that has been enjoyable so far. I'll try other things out tomorrow

LowParry

I don't get the complaints with spawns. They work. At least in domination they do. And sliding to a corner into prone while you take out 4 people. Fucking insane. The the slide just makes the game so much more fun.

Alright guys I saw both current gen versions for multiplayer with my own two eyes.

And yes the PS3 version is wretched. I don't know why it's so bad but it's very blurry to the point where my eyes hurt.

The 360 version also looks dated but it's a little cleaner. But that subtlety makes a difference. It doesn't hurt my eyes where the PS3 does.

If you can endure the PS3 until you get the PS4 upgrade, it's Worth the trouble. If you're not planning to get a ps4 anytime soon than the 360 is the way to go to keep your sanity intact!

Edit: I like the maps more than BOII. BOII felt too small while Ghosts does feel too big at times. But I like it better.

eek5

I don't get why they added so much complexity to some of the systems. They don't add anything to the game.

The new game modes are pretty bad from what I've played so far. Going to probably stick with shitty TDM :(

Kacar

My thoughts so far: got to 28 in MP. Kd at about 2.5.

I'm not having any issues seeing people against the enviroments. The color scheme is the same in every CoD. Also the "lag" everyone is talking about is the same exact thing it has been on every single Cod for the last 5 years.

The graphics have looked muddy since the start. What are they gonna get better in the last month of a console cycle?

The only problem I see is the respawns. Which are pretty much fucking terrible on a consistent basis. At least a couple deaths each game are solely due to the respawn.

About 4-5 maps I really enjoy like Stormfront, Warhawk, Prison Break, and a couple others. The rest are alright except fucking flooded and Sovereign. Those maps are impossibly bad and all over the place.

Sliding and leaning are completely useless. The point unlock system is really aggravating, wish it was just the normal unlock as you level or use the weapon. Who the fuck is gonna unlock and level up 10 different characters.

But overall I'm enjoying it. The gunplay is as good as ever and the new gametypes are pretty fun.

Top Bottom