• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts |OT| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9GBR3B0LE

Reave

PS3 users,

Not sure if someone already posted this, but if you're having a really hard time stomaching the visuals at 1080p, set your PS3 down to displaying at 720p and it'll look a lot better. Gets rid of the grainy look enough to not look horrible.

It's kinda the same thing that happened with Crysis 2 way back when. Way easier on the eyes at 720p.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
PS3 users,

Not sure if someone already posted this, but if you're having a really hard time stomaching the visuals at 1080p, set your PS3 down to displaying at 720p and it'll look a lot better. Gets rid of the grainy look enough to not look horrible.

It's kinda the same thing that happened with Crysis 2 way back when. Way easier on the eyes at 720p.

No wonder it hasn't bothered me as much. I'm playing on a 720 TV.

10/10, best OT ever.

"MS online store – 10$ worth of MS points or whatever they call their space bucks now" I'm dying over here.

Reave

No wonder it hasn't bothered me as much. I'm playing on a 720 TV.
Yeah, I brought my copy to a friends house whose TV can only display at 720p and the difference was pretty surprising. Tried it on my TV when I got home and fuck, way better looking now.

Highly recommend every PS3 user tries it.

aku:jiki

people are crying because a scene of zero importance in the prologue reused stuff from MW2's ending.
...in a franchise that's obsessed with throwbacks to previous games, no less. Price, Reznov, etc. The entire concept of this game is a throwback! (To the character Ghost from MW2, for those that forgot.)

There's a lot to hate in this game, that cutscene is not one of those things.

...in a franchise that's obsessed with throwbacks to previous games, no less. Price, Reznov, etc. The entire concept of this game is a throwback! (To the character Ghost from MW2, for those that forgot.)

There's a lot to hate in this game, that cutscene is not one of those things.
There are also alot of moments in the campaign that play off the past games then take a twist.

I remember people complaining in MW3 when the Pipeline building from COD4 was just a random building in the campaign.

Absinthe

For those that are confused on Squad Point acquisition:

Reddit said:
Wow... Just a giant wave of people suddenly asking this question out of nowhere...
You DON'T get any squad points per game
You get 2 squad points per Rank.
You get 1 squad point per completion of a field order. (So that blue briefcase you occasionally pick up? Yeah, do what it says. 1 squad point, extra 200xp, and a care package)
And finally, the best way to get squad points, Operations. These change every 2 weeks. Each challenge gives you 1 or more (it'll say what the number of squad points you'll get is).
If you finish 5 Operations in those 2 weeks, you get an extra 4.
If you only finish 4, you get 3 squad points.
3 --> 2
2 --> 1
Hope I helped :).

Me too, actually I'm using it with red dot and single fire and crushing people. I didn't like holo as it shakes too much imo.
MSBS is great so far, if you haven't already, check out the focus perk, makes a world of difference.

Also, from Reddit, cool info about SAT-COMS:

SAT-COM:
If one is placed, it will only show enemies in the player's and allies' lines of sight.
If two are placed, they sweep the entire map to reveal enemies, like the UAV of previous games.
If three are placed, the map sweep will have an increased frequency, also similar to previous titles when multiple UAVs were active. Enemy outlines will also be visible through walls.
If four are placed, the map sweep will retain its increased frequency as well as show the direction enemies are facing, like the Advanced UAV or effect of having three UAVs active simultaneously in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

Gaz_RB

That ending... crazy.

Other than PC performance issues, I thought the campaign was great and that the story was more cohesive than most military shooters nowadays. As usual, COD campaigns are fast, intense, and over quickly. Ghosts is no different of course. They never let you hang around for more than a few seconds without being like "You need to move, what are you doing! The world will explode if we don't move to the next checkpoint!" Which is fine with me. Better that than lingering in one area for too long. Basically, if you liked the past campaigns, there is no reason you won't like this one.

The tank section was fun but what was going on with the weight of it? Felt like I was driving around a jeep or something, not an Abrams.

Ultimately the conclusion was cool, the
space battle was something new that I enjoyed for a bit. It finished before it overstayed it's welcome, like I thought the underwater level did. But I thought the lore and everything around the game was good, I just wish they would have fleshed it out more. I'd love to see Ghosts 2 spend like 3 years in development in order to really work on it and see what IW can come up with. The after credits scene was crazy. Totally unpredictable, and I liked the way they did it, It actually made me look forward to the next Ghosts.
Also, I wish they would have used the dog more often than they did, he was their best character, although I didn't think the characters were as bad as some were saying.

Not feeling the mulitplayer though. I guess I've had my fill of COD online, because this just didn't get me going at all. I'll stick with BF4/Killzone this year.

eek5

For those that are confused on Squad Point acquisition:

MSBS is great so far, if you haven't already, check out the focus perk, makes a world of difference.

Also, from Reddit, cool info about SAT-COMS:

SAT-COM:
If one is placed, it will only show enemies in the player's and allies' lines of sight.
If two are placed, they sweep the entire map to reveal enemies, like the UAV of previous games.
If three are placed, the map sweep will have an increased frequency, also similar to previous titles when multiple UAVs were active. Enemy outlines will also be visible through walls.
If four are placed, the map sweep will retain its increased frequency as well as show the direction enemies are facing, like the Advanced UAV or effect of having three UAVs active simultaneously in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

Interesting. Also from what I can tell in FFA it acts as a regular UAV (sweep) and the first sweep is immediate.

Whools

I poped in here to see if I could get a story synopsis, because I heard it has some overtly racist undertones, glad I did, that OP was brilliant.

pompidu

Yeah, I brought my copy to a friends house whose TV can only display at 720p and the difference was pretty surprising. Tried it on my TV when I got home and fuck, way better looking now.

Highly recommend every PS3 user tries it.

so is it still displaying in 1080p or is there black around the edges showing 720p actual pixels? im going to try this on my tv. this will influence my decision to buy this game or not.

Mush

Well, I rented it out for shits and giggles but I gotta say I have to commend them for that ballsy ending.

I totally didn't see that coming.

Gaz_RB

I poped in here to see if I could get a story synopsis, because I heard it has some overtly racist undertones, glad I did, that OP was brilliant.

Where are you hearing that it's racist? I mean the enemy is a different color than the heroes, but it's like that in the games that take place in the middle east too...

Well, I rented it out for shits and giggles but I gotta say I have to commend them for that ballsy ending.

I totally didn't see that coming.

Forreal. Coulda stopped at the happy ending, but they had to push it.

Stay away from the PS3 version, the blurry vaseline vision is on par with the original black Ops. Wait it out for the PS4 or xbone versions if you can.

RedAssedApe

Banned
was on a media black out until launch...did they take out the file share/uploading clips to youtube feature for ghosts or am I missing something super obvious?

Casanova

I am really not having a good time with this game. I rented it from Redbox to try it out and have been kind enough to lend it to my two roommates who seem to be quite into it.

I have the PS3 version and the graphics look absolutely terrible, horrible color palette, and sloppy, sluggish, gun mechanics.

I am seriously thinking that this is The Fall Of Duty.

I am sorry if I offend anyone who is enjoying this game so far, I suppose it is just not my cup of team. Please don't take offense to what I've said.

Perhaps this is a good thing for the franchise. I'm sure the developers will appreciate actually having to create new ideas and take their chances with innovation.

Syf

Banned
Not finished yet but this is shaping up to be my new favorite COD campaign to be honest (current favorite being COD 2). I'm about 3/4 of the way through on veteran, playing the PC version. The environments all feel so varied and each level has been fun to play. Plot is a bit dull so far but the rest of the game is making up for that.

BBboy20

I wonder why they didn't just have that Cops and Robber fan made video become a reality when they had the writer of Traffic on board. Sure it would be any more redicilous then Army of Two 3 but at least it would have been a more (retaliative) polished experience.

Actually, is the writing even strong at all? Any references to the other films he written?

rvy

Banned
New IW is really lacklustre. There's no polish, there's no attention to detail. I have never before seen NPC characters move and link animations so poorly before.

vort3x

Just gotta say, this is honestly the first COD Multiplayer I've enjoyed playing since MW2. I do feel like there's too many perks and the stat progression takes a long ass time than before. Overall it tends to pull host on the right players, although I've had some matches where it is laggy for sure. I'm hoping the dedicated servers are ready to go soon, I feel that would make a big difference.

Weapons seem pretty balanced all around. I love that you can remove the secondary nades and get an extra slot for a perk.The tracker sight makes it way too easy to get kills but really helps against campers (until they start using the blocker ofcourse). I also haven't seen that many level 10 killstreaks. A few here and there but not like before where you would just keep seeing fn choppers and shit left and right. Maps are fairly balanced and a really good size. I don't see why people are complaining of them being huge??? They really aren't, there are just a lot of ways to get to point A to B now which is great.

We'll see in a month or so once everyone figures out the best loadout and perk combo.

Lyonaz

So I was bored and checked out Squads mode and I must admit with me sucking online, I really enjoy this Squads mode. It's against AI bots right? I made the Stargate SG-1 Team for my team.

kanuuna

That ending... crazy.

Other than PC performance issues, I thought the campaign was great and that the story was more cohesive than most military shooters nowadays. As usual, COD campaigns are fast, intense, and over quickly. Ghosts is no different of course. They never let you hang around for more than a few seconds without being like "You need to move, what are you doing! The world will explode if we don't move to the next checkpoint!" Which is fine with me. Better that than lingering in one area for too long. Basically, if you liked the past campaigns, there is no reason you won't like this one.

The tank section was fun but what was going on with the weight of it? Felt like I was driving around a jeep or something, not an Abrams.

Ultimately the conclusion was cool, the
space battle was something new that I enjoyed for a bit. It finished before it overstayed it's welcome, like I thought the underwater level did. But I thought the lore and everything around the game was good, I just wish they would have fleshed it out more. I'd love to see Ghosts 2 spend like 3 years in development in order to really work on it and see what IW can come up with. The after credits scene was crazy. Totally unpredictable, and I liked the way they did it, It actually made me look forward to the next Ghosts.
Also, I wish they would have used the dog more often than they did, he was their best character, although I didn't think the characters were as bad as some were saying.

Not feeling the mulitplayer though. I guess I've had my fill of COD online, because this just didn't get me going at all. I'll stick with BF4/Killzone this year.

I can echo these thoughts. I finished the campaign on PC on Veteran last night. I do hope they iron out the performance issues with the game, and maybe patch that FOV slider in. Set pieces were still creative, although much less frequent compared to the last Modern Warfare. The game echoed MW and MW2 in many places in terms of pacing, with a good amount of segments that you could pass stealthily as long as you didn't miss your shots. As for the story, while it's never been the series strong suit, I didn't find it as interesting to follow as storyline in the Modern Warfare series. The more focused experience felt much more like the last two Treyarch games, and I didn't quite expect it - nor like it. I missed the globetrotting I had come to expect from the MW series, which put you in places all around the world manning different people from different units. I thought MW3 excuted well on it, putting you in the shoes of a Russian security officer for just one mission, or the member of SAS trying to track down chemical weapons in London for another single mission. My problem with the lack of other nations or units being represented also extends to the multiplayer, where as far as I know, the only factions you'll only fight as the Ghosts or the Feds. While playing as one faction or another in the games has never resulted in different gameplay experiences, I've always liked the varied looks and the faction specific announcers.
In the end, I probably wouldn't have had the issue, if the game had made a good job of making either of the new factions interesting. The game assumes you think the Ghosts are really awesome cool, but the game only represents them as grunts with little to no personality and some pretty dumb rituals. The opposing faction's motives aren't handled any better either. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of such a short experience, but I guess they've got sequels scheduled for that. Part of the charm in MW3's campaign was the returning cast and flashbacks for me, so I guess Ghosts has that going against it.

But all in all, I thought the campaign was good. It was fun and varied enough for the time it lasted. Quickly touching on the audio and visuals, I thought the game looked better than in the past, though not by leaps and bounds, like DICE's transistion from Bad Company back to the main series. In the audio department, I still think the game's greatest weakness in this regard is the lack of any sense of space. You don't get any of the reverbs or echoes you'd expect anywhere or in any space. You don't feel the distance, and there's an overall lack of detail I just can't put my finger on.

TL;DR - Fun, but needs fixing. And yeah, that ending was crazy.

antitrop

I'm glad to hear impressions that the campaign is substantially better than the shitfest that is Battlefield 4. I haven't even finished that one and I don't want to, but looks like Ghosts is at least decent on that front.

BF4's campaign has no redeeming feature other than its graphics, at least I'm hearing about a cool ending for Ghosts. That's something, at least.

Well, not finished but pretty close and I doubt I'll change my thoughts vastly on the campaign so I thought I'd share a little. Now I am a fan of the Call Of Duty campaigns, and have pretty much found them all to be worth playing, but I just haven't loved this campaign. I think most of my gripes arise from the potential of what it could be versus what it is. Black Ops 2 for example, I felt did its best to take advantage of its premise. It's set in the future, so you actually use some futuristic weaponary, even if it still has it's foot in realism. In Ghosts, it's supposed to be set, what, 10 years after the USA was completely crippled? Yet we have no improvised weaponary. We don't see guns that have been cobbled together or other equipment repurposed in the face of a lack of new working equipment. In fact, it seems to be that the military is living kind of fine, with lots of drones, vehicles, new equipment to work with.

There's no branching story. I do appreciate Black Ops was made by a different team, but regardless of that, it still FEELS like a massive step back from the last Call Of Duty game I played in terms of the plot, how I can affect the plot, and so on. I felt Treyarch really tried. I felt they succeed with Black Ops 1, not so much with 2, but you could see the effort. I just don't feel that effort here. Plotwise, the characters aren't great, but were they ever? It's always been more that the situations were interesting. Here the threat is presented kind of strangely. In the cutscenes I'm told about the federation, yet in the levels I never actually meet a bad guy from the federation. It's always another american who has history with the ghosts. That relationship is fine but it's just weird. It feels like there is no commitment to the existence of the purported enemies, or the proposed premise of the story. You could really paint a different story around the levels and the enemy we do speak to, just by changing the cutscenes in between, it wouldn't hard.

As for what is here? It's fine call of duty gameplay .You could probably put it alongside the modern warfares. In fact, again, you could have painted a MW plot around it without changing many of the levels, and you wouldn't know. But yea, it's fine, I can't pretend the gameplay is suddenly bad, but the shadow of what this game should be given it's story and setting has weighed pretty heavily on me as I've went.

Has anyone gotten the code for the Free Fall map yet that bought the games on demand version on 360? I spent an hour on the phone with MS support last night and they finally told me they couldnt help me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So between this and Black Ops 2, which would you guys suggest? I was initially planning to get this due to Squads mode and dedicated servers, but it seems like dedicated servers are not in the offing and everyone is complaining about the multiplayer in this game.

(To be fair a lot of people complain about the multiplayer whenever there's a new COD.)

cresto

(To be fair a lot of people complain about the multiplayer whenever there's a new COD.)
This is the sentiment I feel. It's a new game that feels familiar , yet different. I felt better about the mp last night than I did the first night. It takes some adjustment, but it's growing on me. The maps are the weakest part sadly but it's possible they will end up working out. Dedicated servers will come eventually. If they don't after they were promised, there will surely be a shit storm of Internet rage and they might lose a big portion of their audience.

Top Bottom