• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts |OT| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9GBR3B0LE

mxgt

Banned
I'm playing BLOPS2 again, infinitely superior MP experience on PC.

Spawns suck, kill times suck and due to the shit spawns and huge map size I get killed from behind because of said shit spawns way more than other COD games.

It just isn't fun, which is the first time I've ever said that about a COD game this close after release, I've enjoyed all the others for at least a month.

cresto

The castle map is fun, but maddening for the reasons you described. Even if you're in the castle there's about 12 different paths leading to the place you may be at, so it's nearly impossible to find any sort of meaningful cover or to lock down areas of the map. I could not possibly count how many times I've run right in front of someone and died because there are just too many paths to try and account for. It's a beautiful map, for sure, and large enough for snipers and other longer-range players to enjoy, but the design is just bizarre.

I do like new modes like Blitz, but trying to play that mode on Stonehaven (the castle map) was maddening. There are way too many head glitch spots and entirely one sided. You can skirt the edge of the map and it will take you damn near half of the round.

okayfrog

Banned
I know its socially relevant to hate on call of duty, and because of the next gen launch looming we as a people can afford to especially hate on this lowly, ill-fated, iteration.

But, for those plebs out there actually enjoying the game (god, unreal to think that's even possible) but yeah - for THOSE people, do you think it might be feasible to get an OT where those lessers could be allocated to actually discuss the game itself, like maps, loadouts, perks, streaks, guns, attachments, strats, and other painfully irrelevant topics.

It feels somewhat cruel to force these sub-humans to wade through 50 posts of "lol. fucking call of duty, man" to get to 1 post of their pathetically sought out peasant-speak (an actual question related to call of duty).

You're sounding a tad cunt-y, ya know? Just a smidgen of cuntiness.

I keep seeing a lot of people talk about how they don't like the big map sizes. How about those on PC playing Ground Wars? Do the maps work out there?

Fistwell

Yeah this is pretty abysmal. Been playing MP with some BLOPS2 and BF4 sprinkled in to compare (on PC). Maps are pretty shit, guns feel like pea shooters, animation is terrible, performance is by far and large worse than BF4 (which pushes much better visuals over much larger maps), performance is also largely worse than BLOPS2 for comparable map size and visuals. The game really is a piece of shit on PC. It's not lazy, it's not mediocre, it's a piece of shit. Shat by people who either couldnt be arsed or just couldnt do better.

The only good thing it has going is that sound is not broken as it is in BLOPS2.

And I'm not hating for the sake of hating, coming off of BLOPS2 (steam says I played it 147hrs in MP), I was looking forward to a new version of COD MP.

MSBS is where it's at if you have decent aim. Did you try the muzzle brake? Gives you that extra range and you can keep the RDS (unless you like to zooom in). Automatic fire is completely brutal as well in closer-range maps.

As far as the large map strategies go: I find that you can exit the match and get into a newer game with a smaller map in less time than it takes to find an enemy on the larger ones.

Ahhhh no, I haven't tried the muzzle break. I'll unlock that next, thanks for the heads up.

I haven't tried auto fire, though I'm worried that adding that to the MSBS might make it a little more erratic. The burst fire actually keeps me from spraying all over the place.

Ensoul

Played the game for about 4 hours. Takes some getting used to. I am just using the same one or two guns because everything seems so expensive.

Don't understand the map design. The maps are huge which make shotguns and SMG useless. Plus it leads to lots of camping from higher viewpoints like buildings. Also while the maps are huge somehow that does not stop me from getting shot in the back 5 times a match.

The span points are absolutely brutal. I am getting lit up seconds after spawning many times.

The point system is a step backward as well. No idea why IW did away with what treyarch did for black ops 2. More less less it just it just reverts back to Kills=Killstreaks.

I am pulling a 1.00 KDR. because I suck at the game. However that is my norm for these games. I don't think I am doing worse in this game but it feels like it.

Overall its a mixed bag. I do like the game but its not like the other games where I am dying to play it. Overall its a step behind MW3 and two steps behind both black ops games.

People complaining about map size have me extremely worried how the next COD will respond.

If its all Nuketown, Hijacked, etc then im officially out.
they might as well remove all ARs and Snipers while they are at it because they haven't served a purpose since BO1.

Ensoul

People complaining about map size have me extremely worried how the next COD will respond.

If its all Nuketown, Hijacked, etc then im officially out.

I think much of this will be fixed when the next gen systems come out and there will be a ground war playlists.

I am not concerned about the maps. I don't have any issues with huge maps I just want a few smaller ones in there as well. I am sure one of the 4 map packs will have some smaller maps.

ultron87

I generally enjoyed the multiplayer I played last night, but I really dislike how the progression system is set up. If you find a gun you like you're far more encouraged to dump your points into attachments for that then to try some other gun you might hate. But if it turns out you like Assault Rifle B more than Assault Rifle A any points you might've put into scopes and shit for A are now wasted.

And you can't try anything out so your only real option is to grab guns other people dropped as a trial period and try and parse out whether your positive/negative experience with that gun was actually due to the gun or due to the attachments or just random luck based on how that life went for you in that particular match and map.

I know its socially relevant to hate on call of duty, and because of the next gen launch looming we as a people can afford to especially hate on this lowly, ill-fated, iteration.

But, for those plebs out there actually enjoying the game (god, unreal to think that's even possible) but yeah - for THOSE people, do you think it might be feasible to get an OT where those lessers could be allocated to actually discuss the game itself, like maps, loadouts, perks, streaks, guns, attachments, strats, and other painfully irrelevant topics.

It feels somewhat cruel to force these sub-humans to wade through 50 posts of "lol. fucking call of duty, man" to get to 1 post of their pathetically sought out peasant-speak (an actual question related to call of duty).

This post is sort of douchey, but I have indeed made such a topic for discussion of the online mode: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710428

cresto

I generally enjoyed the multiplayer I played last night, but I really dislike how the progression system is set up. If you find a gun you like you're far more encouraged to dump your points into attachments for that then to try some other gun you might hate. But if it turns out you like Assault Rifle B more than Assault Rifle A any points you might've put into scopes and shit for A are now wasted.

And you can't try anything out so your only real option is to grab guns other people dropped as a trial period and try and parse out whether your positive/negative experience with that gun was actually due to the gun or due to the attachments or just random luck based on how that life went for you in that particular match and map.

You can try out Hunted which has random weapon caches that net you random weapons, but fuck that gametype is dumb as hell. You start with a pistol with only one clip and then you try to get to these weapon dumps that have guys camping with ARs or something nuttier. It just makes no sense as a gametype. I hope they remove it.

I played for a couple hours last night, and only one map struck me as truly too big. Don't remember the name of it.

But yeah, the map design definitely reminds me of MW3. Every area has 7 entry/exit points. It's a bit much, but I did kinda get used to it in MW3.

kazebyaka

Banned
You can try out Hunted which has random weapon caches that net you random weapons, but fuck that gametype is dumb as hell. You start with a pistol with only one clip and then you try to get to these weapon dumps that have guys camping with ARs or something nuttier. It just makes no sense as a gametype. I hope they remove it.
Wow, such hate. It's a fun little gametype, I enjoy it.

aku:jiki

Everything is unlocked in local squads play, so you can check stuff out there. Not as fun, I know, but it's kinda necessary with this stingy-ass point system.

At least Black Ops' economy system let you afford a new gun after pretty much every match...

I love bigger and more diverse maps than those tiny Nukedown killfest maps. No skill involved. Just spray, shoot, kill some more, easy way to rack up exp points, etc. That's NOT my idea of fun! Just get into one of those ios shooters and buy IAPs if all you want is exp quickly! :p

I thought BOII maps were disappointing because they were tiny, a big difference from BLOPs 1.

If Call of Duty BLOPs III is more Nukedown than Ghosts/BLOPs 1, I'll stick with BF5 on Frostbite 4 for my next gen FPS multiplayer fix.

Kacar

Oh man yea this gametype is awful. It snowballs immediately. Not the best idea. This caters to the run and gun ADHD COD players also.

ultron87

Everything is unlocked in local squads play, so you can check stuff out there. Not as fun, I know, but it's kinda necessary with this stingy-ass point system.

At least Black Ops' economy system let you afford a new gun after pretty much every match...

That is good to know, thanks.

cresto

Wow, such hate. It's a fun little gametype, I enjoy it.

Maybe it was due to the fact I was going up against a six-man party, but I didn't even understand what is the objective. Is it really another variant of TDM? Does that make it four of the modes that are essentially TDM? You've got TDM, Cranked (sort of fun, but it's still TMD), Kill Confirmed, and now this odd Hunted game type. You're only objective, from what I can tell, is run to the crates, get a gun that only has one, may more clips, and camp the thing waiting for the enemy to try and get a gun. What?

.nimrod

Spawns suck, kill times suck and due to the shit spawns and huge map size I get killed from behind because of said shit spawns way more than other COD games.

It just isn't fun, which is the first time I've ever said that about a COD game this close after release, I've enjoyed all the others for at least a month.

Maybe i'm talking out of my ass because i haven't played it yet (waiting for the PS4 version), but I always disliked a new COD the first time I played it.
And I think it is because I played it the same way I played the previous one, without knowing the new maps very well while playing against unpredictable enemies at the same time. A lot of the changes (besides the technical issues) sound pretty good to me. It seems to me that a lot of people are annoyed that they're not playing as well since they have yet to adapt to the faster time-to-kill and map layouts.

Maybe i'm talking out of my ass because i haven't played it yet (waiting for the PS4 version), but I always disliked a new COD the first time I played it.
And I think it is because I played it the same way I played the previous one, without knowing the new maps very well while playing against unpredictable enemies at the same time. A lot of the changes (besides the technical issues) sound pretty good to me. It seems to me that a lot of people are annoyed that they're not playing as well since they have yet to adapt to the faster time-to-kill and map layouts.
I can recognize what you're saying but I don't think it's true this time. The TTK is the same as it was in MW3, and just like in that game, it just doesn't work with the horrid netcode. Treyarch were smart about it in BO2 and actually lowered bullet damage, which when compounded with the lag, actually made the game feel a little more similar to CoD4 and MW2. You had at least some chance to dodge.

As for the maps, the point is that there's never going to be a way to fully master these maps. Even if you know every room in every house, it's just not humanly possible to cross a street while keeping track of the literally 15 vantage points look down on you.

aravuus

I literally just bought Blops2 for PC since I already have the X360 version but not the console right now.

And immediately I'm having an immensely better time than I did with Ghosts.

Kacar

You master a map like that by not stupidly crossing in the center of these streets and areas. There's generally always another way around to get to where you need to go. Even if its a little slower. Nothing is making you go into the "death" areas (well unless you spawn there which does happen).

You master a map like that by not stupidly crossing in the center of these streets and areas. There's generally always another way around to get to where you need to go. Even if its a little slower. Nothing is making you go into the "death" areas (well unless you spawn there which does happen).
No shit. How exactly do you learn to cover 360 degree vantage points, though? Point is that there used to be one or two "sniper nests" above intersections in previous games, now there's like 25 of them.

.nimrod

I can recognize what you're saying but I don't think it's true this time. The TTK is the same as it was in MW3, and just like in that game, it just doesn't work with the horrid netcode. Treyarch were smart about it in BO2 and actually lowered bullet damage, which when compounded with the lag, actually made the game feel a little more similar to CoD4 and MW2. You had at least some chance to dodge.

As for the maps, the point is that there's never going to be a way to fully master these maps. Even if you know every room in every house, it's just not humanly possible to cross a street while keeping track of the literally 15 vantage points look down on you.

Coincidentally, MW3 was the only COD I didn't play, so I don't really have a point of reference for how bad that was.
I did eventually stop playing BO2 due to the extremely small active player base on PC (peaking at ~8k the last time I played), almost guaranteeing high latency matches. It just felt very inconsistent.

The maps still don't seem too bad to me, maybe they're more suited towards objective modes? It sounds like they require more careful traversal and maybe some more communication between teammates.
But then again, i haven't played it myself yet and won't be able to do so until the end of the month :|

What the hell? An OT is not a fanboy circle jerk. This game has real issues and I wasted my money on it.

Kacar

I think your overstating the numbers on 3-4 maps like chasm and flooded and that exploding gas station one. Prison Break, Stonehaven and Overlord only have 1-3 true sniper nests. And they are easily flankable by at least 3 seperate routes. And absolutely none of these are 360 degree viewpoints.

The only map I consitently dominate with a sniper rifle is Stormfront. But even on that one its easy to get around behind me.

To me the maps are made for objective types. Been playing a ton of Domination and been having a blast.

Fistwell

Maybe i'm talking out of my ass
image.php

But, yeah, for what it's worth, it does indeed feel pretty close to MW3, and MW3 was garbage as well. The complaints about low health coupled with shit netcode are right on the money.

In unrelated news, I noticed most ARs have apparently ZERO recoil. You can full auto ghetto snipe bitches from across the map (mind you, usually it is me getting ghetto sniped).

nOoblet16

I'm not sure I understand the philosophy of the map design. None of it works for any sort of competitive gaming. Although the 3 path, meet in the middle clusterfuck of prior installments is a bit tired, I think they took it way too far. You can't realistically cover yourself because of the multiple entrances and levels. I tried out the free fall map last night on blitz and it was anything but fun. We were getting spawn camps from multiple sides and couldn't even see where the other team was at because of the map is designed like a damn maze. Can't quite figure this out.

Has anyone seen an article related to the map design philosophy? I enjoyed myself some last night, so I'm not giving up but this is just going to get worse as people find even more camping spots and head glitches that won't even give you a chance to cross the map out in the open.

I had the exact same issue in MW3 and (to some extent MW2, but only slightly, maybe as much as Blops 2). Blops 1, WaW and COD4 killed it in this area as they had maps with maybe 1 or two vantage points and map control meant moving from one room/area to another while keeping every entry/exit point in check. You can't do that in MW3 or Ghosts at all because by the time you finish checking all the exits there'd be someone already standing and shooting at you from the very first exit you checked..

I think your overstating the numbers on 3-4 maps like chasm and flooded and that exploding gas station one. Prison Break, Stonehaven and Overlord only have 1-3 true sniper nests. And they are easily flankable by at least 3 seperate routes. And absolutely none of these are 360 degree viewpoints.

The only map I consitently dominate with a sniper rifle is Stormfront. But even on that one its easy to get around behind me.
Are you kidding me? Stonehaven is nothing but one single vantage point, there's no cover anywhere! It's the worst offender of what I'm talking about, by far.

And I think you misunderstood what I meant by "sniper nest". I just mean an overlooking balcony or whatever, not strictly a good position to use a sniper rifle.

Kacar

Are you kidding me? Stonehaven is nothing but one single vantage point, there's no cover anywhere! It's the worst offender of what I'm talking about, by far.

And I think you misunderstood what I meant by "sniper nest". I just mean an overlooking balcony or whatever, not strictly a good position to use a sniper rifle.
I understand now. And yea Stonehaven can be tricky to get around. Actually one of the few I struggle with on TDM and KC. But I play Dom mostly. I guess I havnt noticed a big jump in the number of vantage points for most maps. But I've admitted earlier in the thread that some maps are total clusterfucks. Sovereign in particular.

Does Search and Destroy ever unlock at higher levels? Search and Rescue is alright, but I've been playing S&D only since COD 4. I know you can play it in private, but why is it not already a public playlist?

Fantasmo

You're sounding a tad cunt-y, ya know? Just a smidgen of cuntiness.

I keep seeing a lot of people talk about how they don't like the big map sizes. How about those on PC playing Ground Wars? Do the maps work out there?

Man that goes both ways. I've had to grit my teeth looking at all the negative talk since it's really starting to click and I'm really starting to enjoy it now.

Especially the 9v9 on PC. Ground War on the smaller maps is something else.

Rixxan is right on the money about not being able to have a discussion about gameplay if you enjoy it. Maybe leave this thread alone, but maybe have a Call of Duty Ghosts: Strategies OT or something.

Edit: I've played for 10 hours and new players are just starting to come in so I'm at an advantage compared to many. Take that as you will. Oh and yeah you will die a lot, this is very team based, there's a lot less lone wolfing.

Man that goes both ways. I've had to grit my teeth looking at all the negative talk since it's really starting to click and I'm really starting to enjoy it now.

Especially the 9v9 on PC. Ground War on the smaller maps is something else.

Rixxan is right on the money about not being able to have a discussion about gameplay if you enjoy it. Maybe leave this thread alone, but maybe have a Call of Duty Ghosts: Strategies OT or something.

Edit: I've played for 10 hours and new players are just starting to come in so I'm at an advantage compared to many. Take that as you will. Oh and yeah you will die a lot, this is very team based, there's a lot less lone wolfing.

Hey man there is a thread for online multiplayer discussion here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710428

Doran902

5.99 to rent the game for a week, beat the campaign and play some extraction / mp.

Tide me over til next week's ps4 launch.

Money well spent, campaign is hella fun. Jumbo Video FTW

Yeah, I agree. I get it, spawns suck, accumulating squad points is slow, there's lots of lag, blah blah. They'll fix these things, expect that. It's the second day of release, it always takes a few weeks to fix these issues, give it time or stop playing.

Can we start talking about favorite loadouts? Strategies for overcoming the large maps? Tips to do better in MP?

I really like the MSBS on burst. I've paired that with a red dot and if you're accurate you can consistently take guys down with one burst. Anyone have feedback on any of the other sights? I'm thinking of buying the holo since it will give me a bit more range for the bigger maps. Thoughts?

Me too, actually I'm using it with red dot and single fire and crushing people. I didn't like holo as it shakes too much imo.

Because IW made a fucking shitty ass PC port. It requires 6GB of RAM, yet never uses more than 1.8GB with the settings jacked.
Everything else about my computer meets the requirements for the game! I just having upgraded RAM in a while and now I can't use the game I payed for. At least let me boot into it to see if it really doesn't work with 4gb (which I know it does) but don't just lock me out.

Top Bottom