• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts |OT| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9GBR3B0LE

Marvel

could never
Poor dog

ZfYEyG9.gif

Do a barrel roll!

Awesome animation for Riley there.

Nebula

IW are still in pieces and no amount of help is going to bring that team back to its previous level.

I think IW should kill the old company and then make a new company and employ some new talent.

So I'm curious - among the actual fanbase, what's the reaction? Is there more (or less) than the typical naysaying, or has the response been actually unkind? I'm really interested to know if the diehards feel strongly one way or the other on this one.

I like the bigger maps but it'd be alot better if they'd fix the spawn system where I'm not spawned 20 feet away from somebody. I think its done on purpose. Action, constant action, bang bang zoom bang!

I played someone elses for a few hours yesterday and I decided I won't buy it due to the noticable lag compensation. It plagued me on the last one and I'm not going to pay to be aggravated again. I was hoping maybe they would or could tweak something to make it a little better but it didnt seem like it on first impression yesterday. Shame cause it seems like it would be fun otherwise.

aku:jiki

What are these care packages that have the KEM symbol but are other things? I just got one called "mortar strike" and it bombarded that part of the map for a good 20 seconds. Also got one that was called "sabotage" and seemed map specific - I was playing on the robot factory and it started filling with gas (which would've been stupid on an outdoor map).

Why aren't these regular killstreak rewards? The regular ones are all crap.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
All in all, it's Call of Duty. It's still pretty fun.

That's the problem for me, it doesn't feel like CoD. The gameplay is very different due to the map design. For a start they're massive, so finding someone to kill in 6v6 can take awhile, plus every section of the map seems to have 5 different entry points so it's very hard to lock down an area. It's just too different for me, and I'm not enjoying it ATM.

SmokeMaxX

That's the problem for me, it doesn't feel like CoD. The gameplay is very different due to the map design. For a start they're massive, so finding someone to kill in 6v6 can take awhile, plus every section of the map seems to have 5 different entry points so it's very hard to lock down an area. It's just too different for me, and I'm not enjoying it ATM.
Treyarch games are known for their circular maps with multiple entry points into each position. This isn't a Treyarch game, but it's not that unusual for the series either. The game feels similar enough IMO. Obviously a few differences though.

Slight annoyance to add to the list: You can't select people during in-game leaderboards anymore. How do I selectively mute someone or selectively message someone without going to the 360's dashboard? It looks like mute is all or nothing right now.

Has quickscoping come back stronger than ever? Saw a team of quickscopers dominate in an objective based game earlier. I was really confused. I was consistently getting one shot by them (no true aiming; just a semi-zoom and shoot) even when I was strafing to avoid the sniper. I've never seen multiple people that consistent with a quickscope. Every ten shots, it seems like they got 8 to 9 kills.

Another annoyance: Ballistic Vest didn't prevent me from getting one hit killed in the abdomen. I'm going to look up exactly what Ballistic Vest does, but that was some serious BS haha.

Anyone else think that IW needs to lower the numbers of kills required to end a match on the larger maps? I swear almost every game ends with the time limit being reached.

I also hope that IW increases the rate at which you gain squad points or lowers the points required to unlock. I am still using the same basic assault rifle and smg I started the damn game with and I'm almost level 15. Max wasn't kidding.

lol wow

the tokens are confusing as well. It says 2 and then subtracts 6 when you unlock.

Daffy Duck

Yeah,
its kinda cool on the Warhawk map.

God the spawns are so damn bad, at this point I wouldn't care if they completely removed
dynamic spawns.
getting spawn camped would be less frustrating than this.

At least with a spawn trap you can attempt to break it, there is nothing you can do about where you spawn, I had it both ways last night, spawn near someone, dead, someone spawn near you, easy kill.

SmokeMaxX

At least with a spawn trap you can attempt to break it, there is nothing you can do about where you spawn, I had it both ways last night, spawn near someone, dead, someone spawn near you, easy kill.

I'm baffled at how every CoD game always has terrible spawns at launch. They've had several games to get this right and it's like they just start over every year.

Doran902

I'm baffled at how every CoD game always has terrible spawns at launch. They've had several games to get this right and it's like they just start over every year.

They need to try to balance the spawns so hardcores are happy but casuals still get free kills.

It would be difficult, the circle must continue.

Nebula

Thinking about trading it in. Kill times are a joke and the maps are really bad in terms of spawns and layout. Seriously disappointed. Not enjoying myself at all.

MrDaravon

How are people enjoying Squads mode? One of my friends says he's having a blast with it. I could see it being pretty low-impact/laid back if you're either not great at the game, or just want to kind of relax and not have 12 year-olds yell obscenities at you.

Chojin

Another annoyance: Ballistic Vest didn't prevent me from getting one hit killed in the abdomen. I'm going to look up exactly what Ballistic Vest does, but that was some serious BS haha.

If the the one who shot you had Armor Piercing rounds then Ballistic Vests won't protect you.

How are people enjoying Squads mode? One of my friends says he's having a blast with it. I could see it being pretty low-impact/laid back if you're either not great at the game, or just want to kind of relax and not have 12 year-olds yell obscenities at you.

I'm getting wrecked in Squad mode... wtf am I doing wrong? Granted it's been a year and a half since I played Cod but sheesh... Some of the AI is doing better than me...

Thinking about trading it in. Kill times are a joke and the maps are really bad in terms of spawns and layout. Seriously disappointed. Not enjoying myself at all.

I wish I had that option (PC version here). I'd do it in a second. This is seriously the one game purchase I've regretted in a while

aku:jiki

Has anyone used the Loki killstreak yet? It's the top assault killstreak. I just got one and it was the lamest shit ever. It's like a Reaper from MW3 that shoots slower and unguided missiles, and it can drop care packages. It's like the most boring thing ever.

I'm not a CoD hater, quite the opposite, but I think I might just finally be done with IW. Shitty killstreaks, enormous maps, no demolition, no tactical insertion to counter the massive maps... Heavily contemplating trading this one in while I still might get a buck or two for it. I'll just wait for Treyarch's next game, now that they're officially the better CoD dev. That and Titanfall.

Nebula

Cross mapping with silenced guns in 4 bullets is an utter disgrace.

Who the hell managed the balancing for this game? I'm guessing nobody because it seems non-existent.

realcZk

Does anyone have an idea about the dedicated servers? Are they up and running yet? People were talking about it in here yesterday saying that it was just P2P at launch.

I played for about 2 hours last night on PS3 and most matches were pretty laggy. The killcams stutter terribly as well. Doesn't seem to be any improvements in this area.

I didn't see anywhere to view the connection strength to the host/server like in previous COD games (P2P).

Does anyone have an idea about the dedicated servers? Are they up and running yet? People were talking about it in here yesterday saying that it was just P2P at launch.

I played for about 2 hours last night on PS3 and most matches were pretty laggy. The killcams stutter terribly as well. Doesn't seem to be any improvements in this area.

I didn't see anywhere to view the connection strength to the host/server like in previous COD games (P2P).

I played for a few hours last night on 360, and never saw a host migration once. There were a few bits of lag here and there, but overall it was pretty smooth.

Also didn't notice any stuttering in killcams.

I played for a few hours last night on 360, and never saw a host migration once. There were a few bits of lag here and there, but overall it was pretty smooth.

Also didn't notice any stuttering in killcams.

I had host migration last night on 360. Also lag. (East Coast)

I think the dedis are going to be a freaking annoyance, without anyway to tell if they're up or down.

Squads is great. I've been playing Squad Assault (you & your bots against someone's bot squad) and it's indeed a great way to relax and have fun. Leveling and customizing your dudes is also entertaining. The bots seem to have a pretty believable AI, except that they sometimes forget about you a bit too quickly after getting wounded and the campers sometimes pick odd spots to sit in. Of course they probably become insta-headshot destroyers of worlds at high levels, but at least the low levels are good.

IISANDERII

Just found out they've reduced the number of included maps? MW3 came with 16 + later they added a remake from MW2, Terminal so 17 total.

Now Ghost comes only with 14 and then 1 bonus if you pre-ordered [which means that the map won't be in rotation anyway I think].

I'm this close to fucking off.

Squads is great. I've been playing Squad Assault (you & your bots against someone's bot squad) and it's indeed a great way to relax and have fun. Leveling and customizing your dudes is also entertaining. The bots seem to have a pretty believable AI, except that they sometimes forget about you a bit too quickly after getting wounded and the campers sometimes pick odd spots to sit in. Of course they probably become insta-headshot destroyers of worlds at high levels, but at least the low levels are good.
Can my wife and I play this mode at the same time or is it single player only since it would be just my squad and she couldn't level anything up? I like the sound of this mode a lot and hope in one of the variations we can both play together.

Rixxan

I know its socially relevant to hate on call of duty, and because of the next gen launch looming we as a people can afford to especially hate on this lowly, ill-fated, iteration.

But, for those plebs out there actually enjoying the game (god, unreal to think that's even possible) but yeah - for THOSE people, do you think it might be feasible to get an OT where those lessers could be allocated to actually discuss the game itself, like maps, loadouts, perks, streaks, guns, attachments, strats, and other painfully irrelevant topics.

It feels somewhat cruel to force these sub-humans to wade through 50 posts of "lol. fucking call of duty, man" to get to 1 post of their pathetically sought out peasant-speak (an actual question related to call of duty).

Someone spoil it for me, does the dog die in the story?
The dog isn't even really a big deal.
towards the end though the dog gets sniped but it isn't seriously hurt, you have to carry it to the extraction. next mission they tell the dog to stay with the guy at HQ.

The regular ones are all crap.
Hell no, the Heli Sniper is the coolest killstreak of the series.
You get to snipe and control the helicopter, when it ends the helicopter lands and you jump out.

cresto

I'm not sure I understand the philosophy of the map design. None of it works for any sort of competitive gaming. Although the 3 path, meet in the middle clusterfuck of prior installments is a bit tired, I think they took it way too far. You can't realistically cover yourself because of the multiple entrances and levels. I tried out the free fall map last night on blitz and it was anything but fun. We were getting spawn camps from multiple sides and couldn't even see where the other team was at because of the map is designed like a damn maze. Can't quite figure this out.

Has anyone seen an article related to the map design philosophy? I enjoyed myself some last night, so I'm not giving up but this is just going to get worse as people find even more camping spots and head glitches that won't even give you a chance to cross the map out in the open.

I know its socially relevant to hate on call of duty, and because of the next gen launch looming we as a people can afford to especially hate on this lowly, ill-fated, iteration.

But, for those plebs out there actually enjoying the game (god, unreal to think that's even possible) but yeah - for THOSE people, do you think it might be feasible to get an OT where those lessers could be allocated to actually discuss the game itself, like maps, loadouts, perks, streaks, guns, attachments, strats, and other painfully irrelevant topics.

It feels somewhat cruel to force these sub-humans to wade through 50 posts of "lol. fucking call of duty, man" to get to 1 post of their pathetically sought out peasant-speak (an actual question related to call of duty).

Yeah, I agree. I get it, spawns suck, accumulating squad points is slow, there's lots of lag, blah blah. They'll fix these things, expect that. It's the second day of release, it always takes a few weeks to fix these issues, give it time or stop playing.

Can we start talking about favorite loadouts? Strategies for overcoming the large maps? Tips to do better in MP?

I really like the MSBS on burst. I've paired that with a red dot and if you're accurate you can consistently take guys down with one burst. Anyone have feedback on any of the other sights? I'm thinking of buying the holo since it will give me a bit more range for the bigger maps. Thoughts?

Ambient80

So are dedicated servers just not happening? Only thing I can think they might be doing is waiting for new consoles to launch and doing it all at once. That seems... ill-advised, should that be the case. Start off servers with one connection load, then add another and check for stability and fix issues in between.

Can my wife and I play this mode at the same time or is it single player only since it would be just my squad and she couldn't level anything up? I like the sound of this mode a lot and hope in one of the variations we can both play together.

Yeah, you can have other players join your squad. I think Squad vs. Squad is strictly 1vs1 (+bots), but all the other modes allow friends.

I only had the chance to play for about two hours yesterday, but I had fun with it. Sure, it's not the prettiest looking game, but gameplay is solid.

I'm really not a fan of the weapon unlock system. It doesn't really encourage trying out new play styles with different weapon classes like previous games have.

Ambient80

I'm not sure I understand the philosophy of the map design. None of it works for any sort of competitive gaming. Although the 3 path, meet in the middle clusterfuck of prior installments is a bit tired, I think they took it way too far. You can't realistically cover yourself because of the multiple entrances and levels. I tried out the free fall map last night on blitz and it was anything but fun. We were getting spawn camps from multiple sides and couldn't even see where the other team was at because of the map is designed like a damn maze. Can't quite figure this out.

Has anyone seen an article related to the map design philosophy? I enjoyed myself some last night, so I'm not giving up but this is just going to get worse as people find even more camping spots and head glitches that won't even give you a chance to cross the map out in the open.

The castle map is fun, but maddening for the reasons you described. Even if you're in the castle there's about 12 different paths leading to the place you may be at, so it's nearly impossible to find any sort of meaningful cover or to lock down areas of the map. I could not possibly count how many times I've run right in front of someone and died because there are just too many paths to try and account for. It's a beautiful map, for sure, and large enough for snipers and other longer-range players to enjoy, but the design is just bizarre.

realcZk

Yeah, I agree. I get it, spawns suck, accumulating squad points is slow, there's lots of lag, blah blah. They'll fix these things, expect that. It's the second day of release, it always takes a few weeks to fix these issues, give it time or stop playing.

Can we start talking about favorite loadouts? Strategies for overcoming the large maps? Tips to do better in MP?

I really like the MSBS on burst. I've paired that with a red dot and if you're accurate you can consistently take guys down with one burst. Anyone have feedback on any of the other sights? I'm thinking of buying the holo since it will give me a bit more range for the bigger maps. Thoughts?

MSBS is where it's at if you have decent aim. Did you try the muzzle brake? Gives you that extra range and you can keep the RDS (unless you like to zooom in). Automatic fire is completely brutal as well in closer-range maps.

As far as the large map strategies go: I find that you can exit the match and get into a newer game with a smaller map in less time than it takes to find an enemy on the larger ones.

Top Bottom