• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
So many low offers while selling my PS4. One dude even offered $100. And the funny part is everyone in this city is selling theirs around $380, and I'm at $300, haha.

what is the best brand for 4ktvs with hdr? vizio? sony?

after doing a ton of research, there are 2 sets that you'll be happiest with that are at a decent price point:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=924a4640257c028c36526fef7504f399en02

http://www.costco.ca/Vizio-P50-C1-5...-Home-Theater--Display.product.100300296.html

both are HDR, with good input lag for gaming. if you turn on HDR on the Vizio, input lag jumps to 60 ms. the sony is 32 ms with HDR on. The vizio has 1 HDR capable input while all of the HDMI ports on the sony can do it.

the vizio will have better black levels then the sony, as the sony is an IPS panel. but the sony will have better viewing angles then the vizio

and the biggest one for me:
you can go into best buy and see the sony in action

the vizio is not on display anywhere. the only reseller that sells it in canada is Costco, due to a contractual agreement with Vizio. but they only sell it online, and it is not displayed in store. sooo while the reviews are awesome, you would not be able to actually view/try before you buy. for a $1500 + tax purchase, that is a big deal for me personally....

anything cheaper then those 2 sets has a good amount of compromises to get it that cheap...

after doing a ton of research, there are 2 sets that you'll be happiest with that are at a decent price point:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=924a4640257c028c36526fef7504f399en02

http://www.costco.ca/Vizio-P50-C1-5...-Home-Theater--Display.product.100300296.html

both are HDR, with good input lag for gaming. if you turn on HDR on the Vizio, input lag jumps to 60 ms. the sony is 32 ms with HDR on. The vizio has 1 HDR capable input while all of the HDMI ports on the sony can do it.

the vizio will have better black levels then the sony, as the sony is an IPS panel. but the sony will have better viewing angles then the vizio

the vizio is not on display anywhere. the only reseller that sells it in canada is Costco, due to a contractual agreement with Vizio. but they only sell it online, and it is not displayed in store. sooo while the reviews are awesome, you would not be able to actually view/try before you buy. for a $1500 + tax purchase, that is a big deal for me personally....

anything cheaper then those 2 sets has a good amount of compromises to get it that cheap...

Input 1-4 has HDR, the only one that hasn't is hdmi 5

killroy87

While it's worth being able to see the TV in person, I would be extremely wary of the calibration efforts put in by Best Buy staff. Not only is their content usually all running through a massive splitter so all TVs can see the same thing (which degrades quality), but there's no reason to believe that the TV was set up and calibrated to the best of its ability.

Input 1-4 has HDR, the only one that hasn't is hdmi 5

Why? What's the benefit of using HDMI 5?

Why? What's the benefit of using HDMI 5?

I'm guessing they gave it the advantage of a 5th HDMI port (not common to cheaper sets) but to save money didn't make it an HDMI 2.0a port, maybe it's just 1.4 or something. Still awesome for 99% of devices today but obviously not what you should put an HDR device on.

farisr

The PS4 Slim bundles are up on Amazon. Picked up the Uncharted 4 bundle myself.
I really wish amazon would rename their PS4 Pro listing to not say bundle, if it's not going to be bundled in with anything. They're making me hope that there could be a pack-in game that's just not announced yet.

Ryde3

So many low offers while selling my PS4. One dude even offered $100. And the funny part is everyone in this city is selling theirs around $380, and I'm at $300, haha.

Haha shit man, should've tried to get rid of it pre-announcement, I messed up too. Hoping for a trade in deal or it may be awhile before I upgrade

Shin Godzilla tickets should be going up throughout the day on Funimations website. There should be theater showings in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal, as per usual. I checked just now at 12:45 and so far nothing is up for Canadian theaters.

FrsDvl

Oh wow Intelcom really is shit. They basically signed for my delivery them self, and just put it by the door. Isn't that illegal

TechJunk

Yeah.. and they faked my signature

I would make a complaint with them, Sure it's a pain and whoever you speak to might not care, but there's also the chance a supervisor gets wind of it and realizes what their employee is doing and how wrong it is.

FrsDvl

Amazon gave me $5. I found an email address of supposedly the CEO of Intelcom, on Reddit. So I've sent him an email. Does Amazon use these guys for every delivery now?

khaaan

Montreal GAF, Is there anywhere near the airport I can purchase STM passes? Does the pass also work for the trains?

Edit: Should I get an Opus card instead?

Montreal GAF, Is there anywhere near the airport I can purchase STM passes? Does the pass also work for the trains?

Edit: Should I get an Opus card instead?

If i'm not mistaken, STM has a machine in the airport to buy certain passes. STM will only allow you to ride their busses and use the subway. To get train passes you would have to buy AMT passes and the prices depends on the zone you want to travel in.

https://www.amt.qc.ca/en/fares/metropolitan-fares/fare-zones

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Moltenix

Looks like EB Games offering some trade-in bonuses for the PS4 slim:

You are not required to participate in all 3 promotions at once and can choose to do only one or any combination of 2 while still receiving the associated bonus.

Trade 5 get $100 towards a new Slim or Original PlayStation 4

Eligible games will be increased to $20 each, with a maximum of $100. Less than 5 eligible games may be traded. Eligible games must have a minimum $8 trade value and are only for the following consoles: PS3, PS4, 360, XB1, 3DS and Wii U. Click here for a list of eligable games. Games worth over $20 will not be adjusted and will still receive their EDGE bonus. Ineligible games that are normally accepted can still be traded to help reduce the price but will not be adjusted to $20, they may however receive an increase from other promotions.

Level-Up Your Console

Eligible consoles will receive a 10% increase plus their EDGE membership bonus. Eligible consoles include PS4, XB1, 3DS, 3DS XL, "new" 3DS, "new" 3DS XL, 2DS, and Wii U. Ineligible consoles that are normally accepted can still be traded to help reduce the price but will receive no trade bonus other than from the associated EDGE membership.

Save $50 on a new Slim or original PlayStation 4 with trade!

The new Slim or Original PlayStation 4 being purchased will receive a $50 discount when any normally accepted console is traded towards it. Accepted consoles include, but are not limited to, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii, Wii U, DSI, DSI XL, 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, "new" 3DS, and "new" 3DS XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom