• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

Just got myself a GTX 1070 the other day in my ol' i7 920 system (oc'd at 3.8GHz).

It's so delightful. Time to play some Steam backlog, and I can finally replay Skyward Sword via Dolphin as I've wanted to, at a delightful 30fps.

... Spending money to save money!

farisr

If it's a handheld hybrid thing I'd be mad if they charged $80 a game
If it's a hybrid thing and they charge $80, their reasoning will be you get a handhel and console game in one, that's why the price is so high. And seeing as how Nintendo has been with pricing. Yeah... expect $80.

If it's a hybrid thing and they charge $80, their reasoning will be you get a handhel and console game in one, that's why the price is so high. And seeing as how Nintendo has been with pricing. Yeah... expect $80.

Hopefully other pubs vary their prices. I'm planning to pick this thing up as a Vita replacement since all those mid tier Japanese games will probably migrate to NX. I like those games but no way are they worth full console prices.

Clive

If the NX is close to as powerful as the Xbone and PS4 then I don't see why they shouldn't charge $80. The normal excuse for why handheld games are cheaper is that development costs are. That wouldn't be true in the NX case at all.

Is anybody interested in buying any midnight madness tickets for TIFF?

I'm looking to sell the rest of my package, since I won't be able to go to any of them.

Here are the movies:
Sept 10- The Belko Experiment
Sept 11- Blair Witch
Sept 12- Raw
Sept 13- Rats
Sept 14- The girl with the gifts
Sept 15- the autopsy of jane doe
Sept 16- Dog Eat Dog
Sept 17- The ring vs the grudge

I'm looking for $150 for the package, and all tickets can be transferred right to your email.

Xenoflare

Can I use visa gift card for xbox one? I can't buy the 360 games on it without a credit card but I seriously do not want to use my own cards on it.

I just found out that some of my BC games are getting a hard time for the system to recognize them and I realized that a few of them went south.

kevin1025

Banned
Just got myself a GTX 1070 the other day in my ol' i7 920 system (oc'd at 3.8GHz).

It's so delightful. Time to play some Steam backlog, and I can finally replay Skyward Sword via Dolphin as I've wanted to, at a delightful 30fps.

... Spending money to save money!

What did you upgrade from, video card-wise? That's a mighty card!

I personally couldn't be bothered with Kijiji. I hate dealing with the weirdos that use those sites. I'd rather walk into EB and take whatever they'll give me without the worry of someone killing me and taking my eyes and skin.

Why even consider trading in to EB? I'm seeing the PS4 go for $300+ on Kijiji.

Same here

GAF BST forums are great. Just be clear where you can ship and only deal with people who have good feedback.

The way our dollar is right now you can get a really decent amount even after shipping costs.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Anyone know how exchanging a console bundle that came with digital games works at EB? My Xbox One S behaved fine until tonight when after 30 minutes of FH2 the fan went full blast for five seconds and turned itself off. I might need to do an exchange but I already used the Halo MCC digital code. I still got the Halo 5 disc so I can add that back in.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
We won't have to worry much. It's a Nintendo system, so it will hardly have any.

You jest! Theyre merging their development pipelines so it'll have TWICE as many games. Count it folks, two times as many. I wish I was making this up but I'm not.

Whats a Canadian's favorite drink? A double double of course. What else is double? NX first party software. Irrefutable proof that the NX will be a smash hit in Canada.

Nintendo hire me now

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You jest! Theyre merging their development pipelines so it'll have TWICE as many games. Count it folks, two times as many. I wish I was making this up but I'm not.

Whats a Canadian's favorite drink? A double double of course. What else is double? NX first party software. Irrefutable proof that the NX will be a smash hit in Canada.

Nintendo hire me now

For a minute I had to check and make sure I wasn't actually in the NX thread of sanity.

Lothars

Unfortunately it will be 80 because Nintendo is consistenly out of there minds.

Nintendo hire me now

But 2x 0 is still 0 Kappa

Enilced2

I'm dipping my toe back into PC gaming again mainly for Overwatch. Currently have a GTX 570 in the system any recommendations for an economical upgrade? I'm really out of the loop now on PC stuff haha

I'm dipping my toe back into PC gaming again mainly for Overwatch. Currently have a GTX 570 in the system any recommendations for an economical upgrade? I'm really out of the loop now on PC stuff haha

If you're playing 1080p then a gtx 1060 or rx 480 would be solid budget conscious cards

If you willing to spend that bread tho then a 1070 would be much better.

Mainly for overwatch? The first two cards are more than enough

Tapejara

I just picked up a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB for $379.99 and I really recommend it (not the manufacturer specifically, but the GTX 1060 in general). At 1080p Ultra settings I was able to get a solid 60FPS in games like Overwatch and the Battlefield 1 beta. Great for going back to older games as well.

Anyone have NHL preordered on best buy and have it shipped/card charged? Usually they ship out Friday before game for me but mine hasn't has "free shipping arrive as early as Sept 30".

gabbo

If you're playing 1080p then a gtx 1060 or rx 480 would be solid budget conscious cards

If you willing to spend that bread tho then a 1070 would be much better.

Mainly for overwatch? The first two cards are more than enough

I just picked up a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB for $379.99 and I really recommend it (not the manufacturer specifically, but the GTX 1060 in general). At 1080p Ultra settings I was able to get a solid 60FPS in games like Overwatch and the Battlefield 1 beta. Great for going back to older games as well.

How are the long term prospects of the 1060/480?

Luigi87

Woke up and for some reason my computer was stuck in a repair loop... Seems my C and E partitions switched and my system32 folder is gone... Not a great start to my Sunday.

iiicon

There's not really a cheap way to get Forza Horizon 3 if you want to go digital, huh? I briefly looked up the prices in other regions and the savings are minimal. Ugh, really don't want to pay $80 for a game.

Xenoflare

There's not really a cheap way to get Forza Horizon 3 if you want to go digital, huh? I briefly looked up the prices in other regions and the savings are minimal. Ugh, really don't want to pay $80 for a game.

Yeah, from my experience the Forza games barring 5 were always expensive even long after launch.

There are a stack of FH2 at the MS store near me, I hope when FH3 launches those can get a sale, it's sitting at $50 right now

kennah

Not too sure, actually. The 1060 might run into a bottleneck earlier on because it only has 6GB of VRAM compared to the RX 480's 8GB.
This kind of thing has never caused a major problem in the history of ever. By the time that 2gig would be an issue either card would need an upgrade anyway.

iiicon

Yeah, from my experience the Forza games barring 5 were always expensive even long after launch.

There are a stack of FH2 at the MS store near me, I hope when FH3 launches those can get a sale, it's sitting at $50 right now

The problem is I'm mostly interested in playing on PC, otherwise I would've jumped on the E3 deal.

RaidenXZ

All this talk about video cards is getting me to want to upgrade from my Radeon 7950 lol
Wanna either get the RX480 or the GTX 1070. Anyone know where the best place to get them from is for the best price?

I've been buying Xbox Live cards off Ebay whenever they do one of those $15USD off $75USD coupons (so roughly $20 off $100 CAD). Or rather, I did this once, because beyond Horizon 3 I actually can't think of too many Xbox/Win10 exclusive games I want soon besides Recore, and that one I'm taking the risk with my E3 pre-order because it's almost 50% off at this point. But anyways.

Considering there's no sale on the digital price anyways, if you don't have to have Horizon 3 day one, you may as well wait to see if Ebay does another promo soon; they seem to come around at least every couple of months, and during the summer they did two within weeks of each other and a third not long after.

EDIT: Oh, except Ebay might have finally cracked down on the gift card loophole? Not sure, I think the last sale there might have been some issues with buying from the giftcardstore Ebay seller. The Microsoft Store could still do a promo on credit, though; they had a "buy $50 get $20" promo earlier this year, I think.

Luigi87

All this talk about video cards is getting me to want to upgrade from my Radeon 7950 lol
Wanna either get the RX480 or the GTX 1070. Anyone know where the best place to get them from is for the best price?

Best thing to do is use PC Part Picker

Search for the cards, you can choose specific models as well, and you'll find the prices from all the retailers carrying them. It's great.

diaspora

The Rx 280 and the GTX 1070 are two different classes of GPUs at two very different prices. If you're looking at midrange then you're looking at a Rx 280 vs a 1060. If you're looking at higher end you need to look at the 1070 vs Fury X. Past that is the 1080 and Titan X (Pascal) to which AMD isn't releasing a card in this class. Their higher end Vega stuff won't drop until the first half of 2017.

If you want something cheaper than the 480 or 1060, I'd recommend taking a look at the Rx 470.

edit: FWIW the Fury X can be had for $520 CAD from newegg.ca whilst most 1070s are in the $575-$650 range.

Tapejara

This kind of thing has never caused a major problem in the history of ever. By the time that 2gig would be an issue either card would need an upgrade anyway.

Fair enough, I had only mentioned it because I thought I had heard Digital Foundry mention it as a possible drawback in the future.

Do you guys do PC part recommendations?

I'm building my first PC build (i'm currently using a 3 year old laptop that has 3GB of a 770m in it and an i7 processor, fun times) and I'm just trying to choose a video card that's no more than 500$ish dollars canadian, but the lower the better. I'm trying to be able to do 1080p at high/max settings at 60fps hopefully for the next 3-4 years.

I'm trying to choose between a GTX 1060 and an RX 480. They both fall into my price range, but they each have their own issues. The RX 480 seems to get loud and hot (I've seen reviews where it goes and stays over 80c) very fast, but it's cheaper and it works better with certain games. Meanwhile, the GTX 1060 is more expensive, but it's quieter, runs cooler, and is better than the RX 480 in most games that I've seen. The main downside with it is the increased price and the fact that it doesn't support SLI.

Any tips? Suggestions? Please?

diaspora

Do you guys do PC part recommendations?

I'm building my first PC build (i'm currently using a 3 year old laptop that has 3GB of a 770m in it and an i7 processor, fun times) and I'm just trying to choose a video card that's no more than 500$ish dollars canadian, but the lower the better. I'm trying to be able to do 1080p at high/max settings at 60fps hopefully for the next 3-4 years.

I'm trying to choose between a GTX 1060 and an RX 480. They both fall into my price range, but they each have their own issues. The RX 480 seems to get loud and hot (I've seen reviews where it goes and stays over 80c) very fast, but it's cheaper and it works better with certain games. Meanwhile, the GTX 1060 is more expensive, but it's quieter, runs cooler, and is better than the RX 480 in most games that I've seen. The main downside with it is the increased price and the fact that it doesn't support SLI.

Any tips? Suggestions? Please?
You can get a Fury X for $520 iirc from Newegg.ca or if that's too much go for a 480 if you can get one with 2+ fans on it. Don't go for reference designs. To be frank, between the 480 and 1060, go for whichever is cheaper but just ensure you're not buying one with a reference cooler.

You can get a Fury X for $520 iirc from Newegg.ca or if that's too much go for a 480 if you can get one with 2+ fans on it. Don't go for reference designs. To be frank, between the 480 and 1060, go for whichever is cheaper but just ensure you're not buying one with a reference cooler.

MM! The Fury X sounds good, but is it a limited time offer? With my finances I might have to purchase this next month and at the latest on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

diaspora

MM! The Fury X sounds good, but is it a limited time offer? With my finances I might have to purchase this next month and at the latest on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

I think so, I don't know when the offer ends though. You could always see if it's possible to contact newegg cs/ support or just add it to a price watch. IIRC, PCParkpicker should let you add items to a price-watch too.

iiicon

I've been buying Xbox Live cards off Ebay whenever they do one of those $15USD off $75USD coupons (so roughly $20 off $100 CAD). Or rather, I did this once, because beyond Horizon 3 I actually can't think of too many Xbox/Win10 exclusive games I want soon besides Recore, and that one I'm taking the risk with my E3 pre-order because it's almost 50% off at this point. But anyways.

Considering there's no sale on the digital price anyways, if you don't have to have Horizon 3 day one, you may as well wait to see if Ebay does another promo soon; they seem to come around at least every couple of months, and during the summer they did two within weeks of each other and a third not long after.

EDIT: Oh, except Ebay might have finally cracked down on the gift card loophole? Not sure, I think the last sale there might have been some issues with buying from the giftcardstore Ebay seller. The Microsoft Store could still do a promo on credit, though; they had a "buy $50 get $20" promo earlier this year, I think.

If only I had your foresight. I'm deep into the Trails games at the moment so I don't need to get Forza day one. I can wait a bit for a deal to come around. This is just the first game that's come out since the price bump that I haven't been able to pre-order cheaply and I've still thought "...maybe."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom